BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Kind of defeats the purpose of having an aircraft carrier, doesn't it?
View Quote
Nah just make the airport modular so you can load it into transport aircraft and fly it wherever you need it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:05:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Nah just make the airport modular so you can load it into transport aircraft and fly it wherever you need it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've completely missed the point. I can't park a "modular airport", whatever the fuck that is, off the coast of a country I want to influence or attack.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You've completely missed the point. I can't park a "modular airport", whatever the fuck that is, off the coast of a country I want to influence or attack.
View Quote
You can if it's on floats.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I thought they  were carrying a lot less than that lately.
View Quote
Well, when you figure the women that get knocked up so they miss their deployment ....
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:08:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If water is slick and the hull of a ship is slick, how does the ship move?
View Quote
Magnets and treadmills.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:10:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Damage control. Honestly you could run a carrier with less than 4k, if it never got shot at. The extra 1k decently trained bodies is absolutely crucial when things go tango uniform though. US Navy damage control is easily the best in the world, and probably kept us in the fight until 1943 when new ships came out of the shipyards.  It literally was the reason we won Midway.
View Quote
While damage control was important, signals intercept and decryption is literally the reason we won Midway.  That, and blind luck.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is it only open 9-5 or is it a 24 hour 7 days a week operation ? There lies your answer
View Quote
This, jfc.

It's not rocket science.   It's essentially an air base that floats with all the requisite personnel that operates 24/7 on shifts
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kind of like an Aircraft Carrier?  I guess you must just be trolling.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Because everything they could possibly need needs to be taken care of on the ship. Out in the middle of the ocean, absolutely every single thing and service that you could ever possibly need has to be taken out there with you. You can't just drive ten miles to the dentist. If someone on board needs surgury, and you don't have a surgeon with you, you're fucked.

It basically has to be a self-sustaining ecosystem.

You may not need thousands of people to pilot, launch, and repair aircraft. But the people who do all that stuff need food, housing, medical, dental, power, etc. And every single one of those things needs to be brought with you.
View Quote
Plus the carrier also supports the other ships and crews of the carrier task force.  Health services, sometimes fuel, stores, etc.

Then you get to add in the headquarters staffs riding along, Marine detachment for security, ...
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:13:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Kind of like an Aircraft Carrier?  I guess you must just be trolling.
View Quote
Ya think?  Did you read the posts I quoted?  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:14:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Plus the carrier also supports the other ships and crews of the carrier task force.  Health services, sometimes fuel, stores, etc.

Then you get to add in the headquarters staffs riding along, Marine detachment for security, ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because everything they could possibly need needs to be taken care of on the ship. Out in the middle of the ocean, absolutely every single thing and service that you could ever possibly need has to be taken out there with you. You can't just drive ten miles to the dentist. If someone on board needs surgury, and you don't have a surgeon with you, you're fucked.

It basically has to be a self-sustaining ecosystem.

You may not need thousands of people to pilot, launch, and repair aircraft. But the people who do all that stuff need food, housing, medical, dental, power, etc. And every single one of those things needs to be brought with you.

Mardets left the carriers decades ago.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you throw somebody out of a porthole, is it still defenestration?
View Quote
Portage.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Really
View Quote
Must be a fun gig in a hurricane.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nothing much to do?

You are moving 20+ hours a day, seven days a week on a CVN.  72 hours w/o sleep was very common.  
Watchstanding is a welcome break, just sit and watch a scope or answer the phone for a few hours before you go back to equipment maintenance or whatever else needs to be done.  Climb the mast to replace a part in a radar underway -- that one's always fun.
View Quote
HAHA, Blackshoes.
Aviation works half days and gets Sunday am off (unless there's flight ops).
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Where is the captains quarters and does he have a hot tub in there ?
View Quote
Only if the reactor coolant lines spring a leak.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Many things to do

Many hands to do them
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:20:09 AM EDT
[#17]
some asshole said .gov gives free shit so that's why...yeah sure that's why
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
MARDET's have been gone from carriers for a LONG fucking time.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:26:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This, jfc.

It's not rocket science.   It's essentially an air base that floats with all the requisite personnel that operates 24/7 on shifts
View Quote
This.  Ever own a boat?  Remember all the shit you had to fix on the boat?  Ever own an airplane.  Stuff's CONSTANTLY breaking on airplanes.

Now imagine a really huge boat with a nuclear reactor, and 90 - 100 airplanes - plus exposure to salt water ....
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#20]
If the OP legitimately had to post the question then the OP would not understand the answer. Generally speaking without trying to insult it's above his pay grade.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dang.  Who is going to draw dicks on everything in the carrier now?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:30:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
So no Deadly force Authorized for Nucs?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, there are Marines on a carrier if a Marine Fighter or Attack squadron is onboard.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Then who guards the nuclear reactors and nuclear weapons?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Take every job that needs to be done and multiply by 3 to 4 in order to have 24/7 shifts for 6 months at a time.

USS Kitty Hawk CV63     94-97
View Quote
Or more.  I've heard some of the deployments have been 9 months.

USS Theodore Roosevelt CVN 71   94-98

An aircraft carrier is literally a city at sea.  You have power, water, sewage, meals, a couple of nuclear reactors, propulsion, radars, comms, we had 3 TV channels, shipboard weapons, a hospital, dental clinic, enough bombs and missiles to level a small country, elevators for aircraft, elevators for weapons,  80 or so aircraft, machine shops, a few million gallons of jet fuel, there are even meteorologists, supply types, admin types, a post office, and a police force.  And a whole host of other shit I'm probably forgetting (it's been a while).  Somebody has to maintain all of this shit 24/7.  You don't just turn the key and drive off.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Please explain.
View Quote

It's a floating metal city made of fighter jets, kickass, and weaponized dolphins?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've been up to the top of the mast of USS Kearsarge. I hate heights and that sucked going up there inport, you have my respect having to go up at sea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing much to do?

You are moving 20+ hours a day, seven days a week on a CVN.  72 hours w/o sleep was very common.  

Watchstanding is a welcome break, just sit and watch a scope or answer the phone for a few hours before you go back to equipment maintenance or whatever else needs to be done.  Climb the mast to replace a part in a radar underway -- that one's always fun.
I've been up to the top of the mast of USS Kearsarge. I hate heights and that sucked going up there inport, you have my respect having to go up at sea.
Be all that you can be!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There are no "days off" underway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This and nobody want to work 12-18 hours shift for 7 days a week.

You need personnel so you can have enough people to give time off and take into account people getting injured while
underway.
There are no "days off" underway.
Nope.  12 on 12 off 7 days a week at sea.  At least for us ETs.  Not everybody was that lucky.
ETA:  And this was back in the 90s. A lot has changed since then.  In my off time I had watch and usually GQ popped up a couple 3 times a week.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Nothing much to do?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know how you squids stand it, all cooped up on a ship with nothing much to do but your duty and to get on each others nerves...it was hard enough in the Army in a big old base on the ground with room to spread out.

I can't even imagine sub life.
Nothing much to do?

I had to replace the rotary coupler on the AN/SPN43 at sea a couple of times.  That's always fun....  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Boats are powered by two things: money and people.

the bigger the boat the more of each you need.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bush 1 removed all nukes from Navy surface vessels. That was a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I had two HTs go aloft with us to do some welding on the mast once... they were good sports about it, but you could definitely tell neither one of them was particularly happy about it.

We did have a good life when we got to actually spend time in our air conditioned spaces -- but as often as not we were inside a radar dome on the fantail in the scorching heat trying to fix something on 40+ year old system that has no business still being in operation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those motherfuckers made it even more fun when they lit off a Rhino for high power turns on the deck while we were up there.  Those things sound like the fucking apocalypse -- I couldn't hear myself think, and I'm trying to solder connectors and talk to my ET3 and talk on the radio to the pilothouse at the same time.  
As an HT I quite often envied the life of an ET.

Whenever I heard the 1mc that personnel were working aloft, that was something I was glad I didn't have to do.
I had two HTs go aloft with us to do some welding on the mast once... they were good sports about it, but you could definitely tell neither one of them was particularly happy about it.

We did have a good life when we got to actually spend time in our air conditioned spaces -- but as often as not we were inside a radar dome on the fantail in the scorching heat trying to fix something on 40+ year old system that has no business still being in operation.
AN/SPN41?  Our dome had AC.  And sometimes it even worked!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:56:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I had to replace the rotary coupler on the AN/SPN43 at sea a couple of times.  That's always fun....  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know how you squids stand it, all cooped up on a ship with nothing much to do but your duty and to get on each others nerves...it was hard enough in the Army in a big old base on the ground with room to spread out.

Nothing much to do?

I hate that fucking piece of shit radar.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those motherfuckers made it even more fun when they lit off a Rhino for high power turns on the deck while we were up there.  Those things sound like the fucking apocalypse -- I couldn't hear myself think, and I'm trying to solder connectors and talk to my ET3 and talk on the radio to the pilothouse at the same time.  
As an HT I quite often envied the life of an ET.

Whenever I heard the 1mc that personnel were working aloft, that was something I was glad I didn't have to do.

Yeah, ours did too. Sometimes it worked.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:58:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

CVNs exist to project power as a tool of the US Government. They don't exist to be "harder to sink".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a fully functional airport.

It's a mega cruise ship.

It's a military base.

It's a nuclear reactor.

All packaged up together.   That's a lot of stuff to do.
I'm no expert, but seems risky putting all your eggs into one basket like that.
Just spitballing here, but what if they put the airport part on land?  It would be a lot harder to sink that way.

CVNs exist to project power as a tool of the US Government. They don't exist to be "harder to sink".
Plus, with that airport on land, what if the country it is in says "No, you can't bomb that."  You don't have that problem with an aircraft carrier and it's battlegroup.  It goes where it wants, when it wants, and does what it wants.  And no one can do shit about it without starting a war.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
While damage control was important, signals intercept and decryption is literally the reason we won Midway.  That, and blind luck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Damage control. Honestly you could run a carrier with less than 4k, if it never got shot at. The extra 1k decently trained bodies is absolutely crucial when things go tango uniform though. US Navy damage control is easily the best in the world, and probably kept us in the fight until 1943 when new ships came out of the shipyards.  It literally was the reason we won Midway.
Nope!  Great damage control saved the Yorktown after Coral Sea, allowing her to get to Pearl Harbor for emergency repairs and to be the third carrier at the Battle of Midway.  Yorktown's planes sank two of the four Japanese carriers sunk at Midway.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reactors were never guarded by Marines. Special weapons have been gone for a long time.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Nope!  Great damage control saved the Yorktown after Coral Sea, allowing her to get to Pearl Harbor for emergency repairs and to be the third carrier at the Battle of Midway.  Yorktown's planes sank two of the four Japanese carriers sunk at Midway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Midway would have been a massive loss if not for the fact we broke the JN codes and knew every move they were going to make before they made it. Midway was the first effective use of cryptanalysis to significantly affect the war.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Running with a smaller crew was considered, until the "Missouri incident" occurred on a minimally staffed battleship on its farewell cruise.  A disgruntled former CIA hitman, the XO, and a gang of former military disguised themselves as a rock band and managed to take over the ship during the captain's birthday party. Their goal was to sell the tomahawks on the ship to a foreign power, but they were thwarted by a former SEAL who was brought on as a ship's cook in order to be able to finish his 20.  Although the assailants were stopped and ultimately killed, there were numerous fatalities (including the captain) so the idea of minimal crews was scrapped.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:03:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing much to do?

The Bravo wasn't too bad.  Antenna was a giant hunk of shit though.  We went through rotary couplers like candy for a while there.  And of course with the Charlie, they kept the POS antenna.  Which is where 95% of the problems mine had happened.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The Bravo wasn't too bad.  Antenna was a giant hunk of shit though.  We went through rotary couplers like candy for a while there.  And of course with the Charlie, they kept the POS antenna.  Which is where 95% of the problems mine had happened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing much to do?

My techs were knee deep in that system trying to keep it running continually. Between that and the fucking 41, we got no rest that whole fucking deployment. If I never see another fucking radar it will be too soon.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Speak for yourself..I do know exactly how it works..and have actually rebuilt more then I want to admit too....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How does posi traction work? Nobody  knows It just does.
Speak for yourself..I do know exactly how it works..and have actually rebuilt more then I want to admit too....
Don't try to church it up, boy.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#43]
if you have been on one in war time you would know
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#44]
My ship steamed with a Carrier Battle Group one time, those things are impressive as hell to watch in action while underway. Organized chaos.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My techs were knee deep in that system trying to keep it running continually. Between that and the fucking 41, we got no rest that whole fucking deployment. If I never see another fucking radar it will be too soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing much to do?

I kept the 43B at 97% + up time.  I never deployed with the 43C, but I wasn't impressed by what I saw with it.  My 41 died constantly in the Gulf.  Man, I hated that thing.  We rigged ducts out of cardboard to blow the air directly onto the equipment in the domes, which helped, but then we got nailed for flammable materials in the domes.    Our big problem child (this was 96-97) was the 48C.  I spent most of that deployment helping the FCs keep that POS running.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some CVWs have Marine Hornet squadrons....
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:32:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Well, when you figure the women that get knocked up so they miss their deployment ....
View Quote
Havent seen nearly as much these last few deployments as much as the early 2000s. Of course, there is now almost a majority of female sailors that are gay.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I kept the 43B at 97% + up time.  I never deployed with the 43C, but I wasn't impressed by what I saw with it.  My 41 died constantly in the Gulf.  Man, I hated that thing.  We rigged ducts out of cardboard to blow the air directly onto the equipment in the domes, which helped, but then we got nailed for flammable materials in the domes.    Our big problem child (this was 96-97) was the 48C.  I spent most of that deployment helping the FCs keep that POS running.
View Quote
Being a FC on a carrier was the best (CV-64 1993-94), I didn't know how good I had it. It was a real wake up call when I went Aegis and went to a CG.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Living 24/7. Maintaining aircraft 24/7. Etc.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Being a FC on a carrier was the best (CV-64 1993-94), I didn't know how good I had it. It was a real wake up call when I went Aegis and went to a CG.
View Quote
Surface Navy sucks. Bunch of miserable mother F'ers.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top