BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:50:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Wait, did you upgrade?  Didn't you have white ones before?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:55:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Had a 2011 six speed.  It was severely underpowered and a oil burned.  Wife had a 2015 auto.  At 40,000 miles, it had to have an intake and exhaust cam and 12 lifters.  We got it back oh Friday and traded it Saturday.
View Quote
That's pretty bad, even for a Jeep.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 1:00:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The JK got fed.reg.fucked in 2007.  No matter what anyone says about it, it happen.  Don't blame Jeep.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is good to read. Do any of the above posters wheel at all or are most miles on the road? I want a JK bad but I keep getting scared off.

I belong to a local FB offroad club. Being in Toledo it's freaking huge and a LOT of Jeep employees. I can't believe all the issues they have with them. Blown engines, burning oil, low mile deathwobble, electrical issues and one guy has an 08 with part of the frame eaten by rust. 

I think I've decided to overpay for a TJ instead since I understand them better after owning 3 XJs. 

By the way, wheeling here is pretty mild. The terrain is like Nebraska
Good choice.  So many issues with JKs, every dealer in the area takes a week+ to fix shit too, must be a lot of them.

My TJ and XJ on the other hand keep on rolling and everything is cheap to fix.  My Land Cruiser is an even better ownership experience.  I'm thinking of ditching the TJ and XJ to build up a GX470.
The JK got fed.reg.fucked in 2007.  No matter what anyone says about it, it happen.  Don't blame Jeep.
Toyota/Lexus seem to have figured out how not to build a piece of shit, Jeep is just lazy and they're printing money with their lifestyle brand bullshit so they have no incentive to improve their trash, all the power to em.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:31:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I belong to a local FB offroad club. Being in Toledo it's freaking huge and a LOT of Jeep employees. I can't believe all the issues they have with them. Blown engines, burning oil, low mile deathwobble, electrical issues and one guy has an 08 with part of the frame eaten by rust. 
View Quote
Homemade lift kits = death wobble. These should only be installed by someone whom knows what the hell he's doing.

Blown engines? Were these OEM engines? Drop-ins? What?

Electrical issues? Were they fording creeks too deep? What?

Rust? LOL! Salt the roads much in Ohio, sir?  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:34:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
TJ= Last real Jeep
View Quote
Bullshit.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Homemade lift kits = death wobble. These should only be installed by someone whom knows what the hell he's doing.
No. Stock vehicles with low miles are the ones I have seen reported. The larger lifted Jeeps are mostly Poison Spyder, Metal Cloak and better. They get a group discount around town so they usually use shops with a few exceptions. Those guys all seem to be OK

Blown engines? Were these OEM engines? Drop-ins? What? 
No specific cases listed but I keep seeing engines hanging from cranes. My buddy had a 10 that burned about 2 quarts a month. Traded it in on a Rubicon. It also started burning oil. It was in the shop for 2 months

Electrical issues? Were they fording creeks too deep? What?
Some are stupid designed in shit like you guy fogs to put in your low en X model and use the factory harness. Needs a dealer reflash to make the circuit work. The rest are mostly dashed lit up like a rave party with CELs

Rust? LOL! Salt the roads much in Ohio, sir?  
total frame blowout in 7 years? Dude, I know rust. I live here. That is excessive.

I was saving screenshots of all these posts but I dumped the folder accidentally. My city is built on Jeeps. I've had 4.
I love Jeeps and want a JK but from my perspectuve, JKs are fucking horrible. It;s not just mechanical issues, its interior leaks, seats splitting, horns failing etc 
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Well my dealership has a 2014 wrangler sport.  Bone stock. Going to test drive it tomorrow
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well my dealership has a 2014 wrangler sport.  Bone stock. Going to test drive it tomorrow
View Quote
If it's a 3.21 axle ratio, I would walk away.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:08:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Sold an '11 JK with 42k miles back in February. No issues outside of the common 3.8L oil consumption. The newer 3.6L Pentastar is head and shoulders above the 3.8.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Click on this link and select Equipment Listing under 'Your Vehicle'. Enter the VIN and you can see the build sheet. You'll want the upgraded 3.73s over the standard 3.21s in the Sport package.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't necessarily walk away from 3.21 gears with a 3.6 if it's a good one.

My '17 Sahara has 3.21's, and while no rocket, it's no slouch either. Head and shoulders above my previous 3.8.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#12]
What's the differences between the suspensions  on the jeeps.   I see standard vs performance ....
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:05:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Click on this link and select Equipment Listing under 'Your Vehicle'. Enter the VIN and you can see the build sheet. You'll want the upgraded 3.73s over the standard 3.21s in the Sport package.
View Quote
I put the vin in and it's not working for some reason.  Results say "oops, try again"
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#14]
2017 Rubicon Hard Rock,  too early to tell if it will be durable,  but it is most certainly capable.

Buy a Rubicon the 4:1 transfer case disconectable sway bar and lockers are worth it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:11:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I put the vin in and it's not working for some reason.  Results say "oops, try again"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been that way for a few days.

I will say this: if you have ZERO intention of changing tire size, the 3.21s aren't bad at all. If you will EVER mod this jeep, make sure you have the 3.73s. Ask the dealer if they can produce the build sheet, which will show if the 3.73s were added as an option. It will also show is the limited slip rear was added as an option. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:12:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
2017 Rubicon Hard Rock,  too early to tell if it will be durable,  but it is most certainly capable.

Buy a Rubicon the 4:1 transfer case disconectable sway bar and lockers are worth it.
View Quote
I hate you. I want a Rubi so badly.

Rubi with NO options extra would be my build. Manual everything.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:31:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I will say this: if you have ZERO intention of changing tire size, the 3.21s aren't bad at all. If you will EVER mod this jeep, make sure you have the 3.73s. Ask the dealer if they can produce the build sheet, which will show if the 3.73s were added as an option. It will also show is the limited slip rear was added as an option. 
View Quote
I'm pretty sure it has the 3.21 in it.  I'm going to stay around stock for awhile anyways
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:13:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Opposite for me, but it's been a journey....and I feel like I have earned some comfort.

Started in an M151A2 in the Army.  Beyond primitive.  No romance at all for me.  Spent many a miserable night in her.

Bought my first civilian jeep in 1987.  Nothing in it.  No AC.  No radio.  No carpet.  Had no roof 6 months a year.  Just pulled the drain plugs.  Manual locking hubs. Still loved it.

Drove that until I bought my YJ in 1995.  It had an FM radio and a bolt-on AC unit that you could run the same time as the heater.  And auto hubs.  I was living large...with half doors and those damn zip windows.

Drove that until I bought my TJ in 2001.  Integrated AC, FM radio with CD player, and dual top with tinted windows.  Felt like I was in a luxury vehicle, with manual everything else, including crank windows.

And then I bought the current Jeep - a 2013 JKR.  Older now, have more money, and can buy what I want because I want it...and I did, so suck it haters:

- UConnect navigation /sat radio with touchscreen
- Bluetooth
- EVIC
- Power windows
- Power heated side mirrors
- Auto dimming rearview mirror
- Power door locks with remote entry
- Remote start
- Alarm
- Automatic AC/heat
- Heated seats
- Auto headlights
- Hard top with tinted windows
- 4.10 gearing...plus all the Rubi goodness

Wife got in on the first day and started laughing, saying something like "this is not a Jeep".  The truth is though, it is the most capable off-road of any Jeep I have owned.  It's just that my ass is pretty damn comfortable now when I am in it.  

Anyway, this is it after I boosted her 2"/1" front/rear and swapped out the pizza cutters with Duratracs on 17" AEV wheels.

It's been 4.5 years since I drove her off the lot and still love her...which is why I am boring you with pics.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:14:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
I wouldn't.  I took a 2015 (might have been 2014) JKU with a 3.21 and an automatic all over the forest roads of NM and CO.  2400 miles total.  With nearly 1k lbs of shit in the back.  The only time it ever struggled (gear hunting bad) was up and down grades.

Off road it was perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:27:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the price is right and he is planning on running 35s, he can apply the savings towards having it regeared to something better than was available from the factory.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:34:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How to Get Your Factory Jeep Build Sheet - Update, It's Over
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:41:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Does this ad seem sketchy to you guys?

2015 JEEP WRANGLER RUBICON

If it is legit, that's a pretty good deal. But then I default to "If it seems to good to be true..." If it wasn't so far away from me, I would take a chance on contacting them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:45:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If the price is right and he is planning on running 35s, he can apply the savings towards having it regeared to something better than was available from the factory.
View Quote
He said he was leaving it stock.

I can't count the number of Jeep owners I have met who ended up regretting not getting 3.73 gearing.  Sure, if you are going to later drop 10k on a lift, geometry correction, wheels, tires, gussets/sleeves/axles, and regearing, sure, it doesn't matter.  Why pay extra for what you will replace? But most folks don't do that.  They just want something that isn't a pig from a stop or on a hill...and they may later decide to throw on some 33s...or perhaps 35s. That's when dropping a bit more up front is often worth it.

YMMV...and it will with different gearing.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:49:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:29:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Started w/08 ST manual JKU. Was prone to DW at 10K miles. Don't recall it eating oil but do recall the shifter attempting to break my wrist on a number of occasions (pothole syndrome). It was kind of a dog.

Son bought an 11 JKU HT auto with 3.73s (something I would never do is 3.73s on a jeep). An improvement over my 08 manual, felt like a caddy with auto and hard top.

At 20K miles decided I had enough (in 2011) and traded it (yes, 3 year old Jeep) for a 12 JKUR HT auto. I think most Jeep owners, down deep, wish for a Rubi, I sure did. I *made* money trading in the 08.

Massive improvement except for those noisey soft mud terrains, which were off in 15K miles and KO2s replaced those POS tires.

The 12 JKUR is as basic as they could come with HT and auto (only 2 things I wanted OR needed). Havn't seen any more on a lot since - Rubis are all loaded up at the factory with shit that breaks or not smart for its purpose (radios, nav, leather).

Had to swap a head at 15K miles, other than that its been flawless and jumps out of the hole like crazy. No slouch on the highway to boot. It can suck up some gas (I'm just your run of the mill arfcommer that works from home, makes $200k a year and the wife is a model chef. I drive little and never far. I'll see how well this one goes long term. At pushing 6YO it only has 30K on it, it may outlive me.

I pop the top and yank the doors in about 15 minutes

My son traded in his 11 for a 13 with 3.73s, came out smelling like a rose. He averages 20mpg vs I'm lucky if I get 15.

If you can afford a 12+ dont hesitate. Mine would fetch more than I paid new, just like the first one.

There is NOTHING like a Jeep.

ETA: the trasmissions were the same used in mercedes, good up to 750hp, should be no issue with auto.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:04:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Thinking about buying one.  Done want anything too big as it will be a daily driver.  Might do a little off roading around my cabin and property but nothing worth a huge lift and tires etc.  

Anyone had any problems with em? Looking at a manual trans, but any problems with auto ?

Tell me GD, how bad am I fucking up here?
View Quote

2015 JKU Rubicon HRU and 1979 CJ7 owner here, both manual transmissions.  Love them both, but they couldn't be more different to drive, lol.  Just don't be like the typical new Jeep owner, get a Quadratec catalog, and order one of everything.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:27:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Well, that's about fucking dumb.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:11:05 AM EDT
[#28]
'07 Sahara JKU. 120k miles mostly ours.  Heavy appetite for oil.  Fun vehicle.  Great size for kicking around, though we used to use it to haul the 5 of us on vacation before we bought a suburban.

I plan to keep it indefinitely as I have 3 new drivers coming of age over the next few years.  We'll get a newer one for a primary when that happens.

JKs are like ARs  lots of accessories and easy to work on.

For you guys with death wobble (which I used to have)...this thread is great for diagnosis.
Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#29]
I have an 08 JKU manual, had both the front electric locks take a shit. Bought new oem  replacements off eBay and installed them myself. I had to replace the evap but that was due to smacking it off road.. plastic box located under the Jeep close to the frame rails.. horrible spot, I bought the relocation kit and new evap. No other issues, but I'd agree the 2012+ is a better choice for the engine.. unless you plan to swap a v8. As for gearing look for one with the tow package, at least you'll have 3.73 gears, if you plan to throw on 35"+ tires gearing won't matter as you'll be upgrading ring and pinion anyways.
I've taken mine to work a few times but wouldn't want it as a dd, at least not with my commute.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm not a fan of the overall size and modern feel of the JKs.  Hell, I rented a 2016 JKU auto in colorado last year and as someone who is used to full size pickup trucks, it seemed doggish and slow on the interstate.

Someone here have experience with the last years of the TJ as well as the JK?  In the next few years I would like to get a nice wrangler that I can drive on the weekends and I always heard good things about the durability of the old 4.0.  I bet the HP is yet lower than that of the pre 2012 JKs though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Attachment Attached File

This is sitting in my driveway right now.  Doing an overnight test drive.  I really like it
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#32]
What options?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:17:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I daily drive an '07 manual JKU.  No big issues and I drive it off road all over the dessert between Vegas, Ehrenberg and Palmdale.  To make is simple here are the basic mods you want. 35 inch tires appropriate for your area, and driiving.  A 3 inch lift and good shocks.

EVO 3 INCH LIFT
5160 SHOCKS
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a 2007 two door Rubicon with 195,000 miles. It's the most fun I've had with a daily driver. My girlfriend has a 2015 stock Unlimited, I'll join everyone else and say get a newer one with the Pentastar engine. It makes a big difference on the highway.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:00:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Exactly what I got, with the exception of full doors instead of 1/2. Today I did install a receiver and wiring for a trailer. It is my favorite vehicle ever.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Initial impression:

Why in the fuck did I not get one of these years ago? It certainly won't do 100mph on the interstate but I'm good with it.  Eventually I'll get bigger tires (won't go over 35s).  I'm happy with it for now.  I'm signing the papers tomorrow sometime.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Thank everyone for their input.   Seriously thank you

What is the arfcom for jeeps such as mine ?
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Thank everyone for their input.   Seriously thank you

What is the arfcom for jeeps such as mine ?
View Quote
Congrats man. Jeepforum is a pretty good site for searching tech topics. It's gotten slower there over the last few years.

Best of luck with your Jeep. It was built in my hometown and the alcoholics who build them are very proud of them. 
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Initial impression:

Why in the fuck did I not get one of these years ago? It certainly won't do 100mph on the interstate but I'm good with it.  Eventually I'll get bigger tires (won't go over 35s).  I'm happy with it for now.  I'm signing the papers tomorrow sometime.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#41]
My 11 JK burned oil like a MOFO, my 14 was great.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:01:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Initial impression:

View Quote
A month after buying mine, I was asking the exact same question. I've been wanting a Wrangler for 20 years, and I finally got one. I should have done this a decade ago.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

A month after buying mine, I was asking the exact same question. I've been wanting a Wrangler for 20 years, and I finally got one. I should have done this a decade ago.
View Quote
me too
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Does this ad seem sketchy to you guys?

2015 JEEP WRANGLER RUBICON

If it is legit, that's a pretty good deal. But then I default to "If it seems to good to be true..." If it wasn't so far away from me, I would take a chance on contacting them.
View Quote
Reads kind of like it might be a Mexican buy here pay here kind of a place, not sure. You might learn more calling.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Found a site where you can pull up the original window sticker on Jeep products! This way you can see what options it has, what the original MSRP was, etc. This is super useful when looking at used Wranglers.

Jeep Window Sticker Lookup
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is working again, too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#47]
A basic sport or sport S will do you fine. Jeeps other than rubicon and willys come with 3.21 gearing, get the 3.73 gearing option instead, its well worth it.

Ive had a 15, 16 (2door) and now a 17 4door. All rubicons. Had the second one for a little over a year. It was a third vehicle, a weekend toy, so I didnt get a ton of miles on it. Jeeps today are far more capable and more comfortable than yesteryears jeep.

ETA: just saw you bought it. Congrats! Welcome to the club. Here's mine:

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:36:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Congrats on joining the AR movement of the auto world.

My 08 is still running strong... Larger tires and some off roading have put a hurtin' on my power steering gear box though. Time to upgrade.

Link Posted: 5/26/2017 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's what I bought.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top