Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:53:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh ok. I had no idea those types of meds were prescribed like that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I also call BS.  Abrupt benzo withdrawal will cause seizures/coma/death in that order.  No MD would ever cut someone's benzos cold turkey.
Even at therapeutic doses?
Yes because people build up a tolerance to benzodiazepines fairly quickly. So his "therapeutic dose" could be very high.
I thought they were as needed and not a routine thing. To build up a tolerance wouldnt you have to eat them on a regular basis?
See my first post in this thread. Just saw a lady who was on a massive scheduled dose for the past 30 years.
Oh ok. I had no idea those types of meds were prescribed like that.
They shouldn't be but it's easier to start someone on one than take them off.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I can't imagine taking them several times a day. I take them at night, at most 3 times in a row.

Don't buy the friends story though. Pillheads are manipulative liars 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought they were as needed and not a routine thing. To build up a tolerance wouldnt you have to eat them on a regular basis?
I can't imagine taking them several times a day. I take them at night, at most 3 times in a row.

Don't buy the friends story though. Pillheads are manipulative liars 
Ive had them before and they made me unable to remember the events of that day.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Um, take him to a hospital? 
View Quote
Quit making rational and practical suggestions. That's not how you get people to feel sorry for you
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#4]
My kid's mom was on a high dose of dilaudid for chronic pain for something she was born with. Her pain management guy up and left his practice in the middle of the night leaving his patients hanging. The new doc put her on a pain "cocktail" and refused to tell her what was in it. She had surgery to reduce the pain and tapered off the pain cocktail. This was 20 years ago and all is good. I know the feeling of being helpless and also accusations of being an enabler. I hope everything works out for your friend.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:01:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I also call BS.  Abrupt benzo withdrawal will cause seizures/coma/death in that order.  No MD would ever cut someone's benzos cold turkey.
View Quote
I worked in a detention center for a while, and I saw abrupt benzo cutoffs all the time. Guys would come in, some with legitimate benzo scripts, and because our medical team didn't want to have to deal with having controlled medications on the unit the docs would in most cases discontinue their meds. In some extreme cases they'd start them up again (like if the inmate got a court order), but in most cases they'd go to the infirmary for a few days and they'd be monitored and given Benadryl and anti-nausea meds that had the happy side effect of making them kinda dopey, and that was it. Now, obviously OP's friend isn't in jail, but if an MD in a jail would do it, it stands to reason that an MD in "the world" might too. In both cases they'd be exposing themselves to malpractice suits if anything went wrong. Inmates are litigious mofos. FWIW, in over 2 years of working the infirmary with people detoxing H and oxy and benzos just about all the time I never witnessed anyone suffer any grave effects of withdrawal that would put their lives in danger, just lots of aching, vomiting and screaming and seeing things. OP's friend might be better off for this once it's all over with.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Heaven forbid his MD break the cycle of pill-pushing drug dispensing quack docs. Just because he is having withdrawals doesn't mean he needs the stuff
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:08:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I can distinguish between a sociopath and a decent human. I know this is a good person, who's doc was old school and now my friend is up sht crk. I have 70 year old aunts who love kpins and Valium but they have nice Miami MD's. it not fun to watch someone withdrawal from. when people you love trust a doc and get hard drugs it is not pretty. Just wanted advice guys.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Heaven forbid his MD break the cycle of pill-pushing drug dispensing quack docs. Just because he is having withdrawals doesn't mean he needs the stuff
View Quote
It sort of does, that is why he is experiencing withdrawals, he wouldn't be if he didn't.  Can he get through the next 7 days on his own?  Sure it's possible, people do it.  Will he die without being tapered down in or out of a detox facility?  Sure it's possible, the rest of the people do it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:11:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can distinguish between a sociopath and a decent human. I know this is a good person, who's doc was old school and now my friend is up sht crk. I have 70 year old aunts who love kpins and Valium but they have nice Miami MD's. it not fun to watch someone withdrawal from. when people you love trust a doc and get hard drugs it is not pretty. Just wanted advice guys.
View Quote
And you got it, there is nothing you can do for him other than take him to a detox or hospital and explain what is happening. I mean you could talk to him on the phone all night, that would be a nice gesture of he wants it.  Won't stop him for seizing if he is going to though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
An addict is not, by definition, a sociopath.  It's someone who has gotten themselves into trouble with dependence.  

They are very good at hiding their condition, it's how they convince people to give them more of what they want, or money to buy what they want, or to trust them so they can steal what they want, or something valuable to pawn for money for what they want....
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Go to a third MD.
View Quote
No.  This is GD.  We need to make things really fucking complicated.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Find a new doc. That's about the best advice I can give.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's not how it works.

It's a highly abused benzo.

The new doctor could have any number of reasons for not issuing a new prescription.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can't help him, but it sounds like the new doctor is irresponsible and possibly committing malpractice.  If your friend has a seizure and lives, he could become very wealthy.
That's not how it works.

The new doctor could have any number of reasons for not issuing a new prescription.
No, thats *exactly* how it works. You dont quit benzos cold turkey. 

Take the friend to a detox unit or ER. From there I would immediately get a good attorney and sue the new doctor until he sells his degree to pay the judgement.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Take the friend to a detox unit or ER. From there I would immediately get a good attorney and sue the new doctor until he sells his degree to pay the judgement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can't help him, but it sounds like the new doctor is irresponsible and possibly committing malpractice.  If your friend has a seizure and lives, he could become very wealthy.
That's not how it works.

You don't understand the law.  The new doctor is under no obligation to write bad prescriptions.  I have defended many cases that start like this.  The patients chart will be full of contracts to not abuse, lost prescriptions, and taper schedules.   Before the internet, there was a ton of pharmacy and doctor shopping, but that's almost gone away.

There is almost certainly a request in the chart that this patient come in to have an exam before further prescriptions are written.

A new doctor who has never prescribed a drug cannot be forced to just call in a prescription because a patient wants it.  His obligation is to NOT write bad prescriptions.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Klonopin is some crazy shit. I knew a guy from college on the stuff and he would pass out wherever and whenever. Good luck
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Want to bet $5 he wasn't instructed to quit cold turkey?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Did I miss the answer to what dosage he was on?

That's kind of important.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Weird. They hardly have an effect on me. I only take them at night. They don't make me feel groggy the next day either. I either sleep or I don't 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a dr give me 60 of em 2-3 months ago because I mentioned an episode he called an anxiety attack. I've taken 3 since then, they really make a good nights sleep. I'm very cautious about em though because a friend of mine shot himself about a week into going cold turkey off xanax, he was 56 and not a "basket case", shotgun to the chest at his desk at work.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I had a dr give me 60 of em 2-3 months ago because I mentioned an episode he called an anxiety attack. I've taken 3 since then, they really make a good nights sleep. I'm very cautious about em though because a friend of mine shot himself about a week into going cold turkey off xanax, he was 56 and not a "basket case", shotgun to the chest at his desk at work.
View Quote
Thank you for the honesty. Now I am very concerned.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
His MD urged him to be on scheduled benzos to the point he is having withdrawals? I think there is more to this story.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buddy is/was not a drug abuser. Got a script on urging from MD. I don't like watching this.
His MD urged him to be on scheduled benzos to the point he is having withdrawals? I think there is more to this story.
Not uncommon at all. In fact, not uncommon to find plenty of patients prescribed a hundred or two of methadone, with Klonopin or Ativan scheduled and sometimes even PRN Xanax on top of it all. Not a good thing, but some do it. I see it all in the psych hospital. We can often tell who the PCP or outpatient psych provider is just by looking at a persons med list. LIPs have prescribing habits. Some aren't good.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Did I miss the answer to what dosage he was on?

That's kind of important.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#24]
How long has he been out? As asked...what daily dosage was he on? This is important to estimate the extent of the WD SX's (symptoms).
Klonopin has a long half life..(30-40 hours)..so your buddy "shouldn't" encounter serious WD until then. Again...also depends on daily dosage....everyone's different.
If he's a good friend...hit the store  (At the right time).
Water, immodium, multivitamin, gatorade, clear liquids, juice (nothing acidic). Tums/antacid, yogurt, and no alcohol. Let's not help make an alcoholic. Stay away from caffeine...eat clean when he gets the gut up. Best to start with a BRAT diet. Bannas, rice, applesauce, toast.
Grab some flicks, and plan to stay with your buddy for the next ?? hours....in order to help him through it.
Be encouraging, and you should know in short order...if he's committed to quitting...or not.
If he isn't ...not much your going to do to stop him.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
New doc isn't obligated to keep providing an addictive substance just because the old doc did.

Jesus Christ. Let's sue everybody every time we don't get a fix.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm asking because I'm very familiar with this drug. He might be ready for this:
https://thegalileo.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/regan-bedroom.png?w=620&h=348
View Quote
So he had an old doctor and a young doctor?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yep. Recently saw an elderly lady go into benzo withdrawal because she blew through her taper. Her original dose was 2mg Klonopin 4 times a day.
View Quote
Jesus. What idiot prescribed that?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
buddy did not seek out the scrip. took it on good faith and it suffering like hell now. should I bring him food or beer? I'm not comfortable watching someone suffer like this?
View Quote
"Good faith" for what?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yes. When you finish an interaction with someone and you have less energy/money you have experienced an addict. I account my relationships in this fashion because of past exposure with addict assholes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you ever known a drug abuser?  They are some of the most cunning and sophisticated manipulators you will ever meet. It's not like one would tell you he's an abuser unless it was part of a way to manipulate you.
Yes. When you finish an interaction with someone and you have less energy/money you have experienced an addict. I account my relationships in this fashion because of past exposure with addict assholes.
"Have you ever seen a fat dog without sad eyes?"
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes. That's true.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#31]
K-pin's are also used for seizure control, it's not always about abuse for fuck's sake, if it was there could be trouble. If he was abusing he can start having seizure's.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

The best advice GD is going to give you is never underestimate what someone will do for sex, money, or drugs. Nobody here will be emotionally invested in your friends well being, you're just getting really good advice in a way that's difficult to swallow.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#33]
After my father died I started having panic attacks and was prescribed Ativan. They gave me a bucketful of them (about 90 1 mg pills) . Label said to take one in the AM and one and night.

I didn't do that and only took them as needed - maybe half a pill  at night 4x a week and at about week 6 I started getting interdose  withdrawal symptoms and realized I had a physical dependency on them, after not taking anywhere CLOSE to the prescribed dose.

I went off them cold turkey, went through withdrawals during my FILs death and funeral  (we lost him shortly after my own dad), and sent a scathing note to the docs telling them their cavalierness with benzos are turning people into pill heads and they need to warn people about the chance of physical dependency and what to watch out for. They had never warned me at all about what could happen and I developed a tolerance and a dependency REALLY quickly to them on a REALLY low dose.

So, I could see how it could happen to OPs friend. Combine that with a new doc that cut him off abruptly and yeah his life sucks right now. Best thing is to get him to another doc (or the cutoff doc) ASAP and put on a taper schedule and get OFF the damn things for good.    
As many others have said, cold turkey could be dangerous for him depending on how much he was on for how long and his physical makeup.   I did go cold turkey because I wasn't on that much for that long, but even so I had crazy headaches, shakes, tremors, jumpiness, and felt like my hair was tap-dancing on my head for about 2 weeks.

CG
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#34]
When I was younger I had a prescription of klonopin for anxiety. Couldn't tell you the dose but I remember it not helping much so I took 2-3 at a time. That's my experience with it.

(Yes I realize now that I was stupid)
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#35]
My wife takes that sometimes, her doctor told her "It can make you stupid" and is very careful about prescribing and refilling it.  She's been denied a refill, or given an equal number of lesser tablets, more than once. Just recently they wanted her to stop taking it completely, but she managed to talk them into a small number at a lower dosage.  I'm guessing that next time will be the last.  Really looking forward to that. 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
No, if he has a seizure and lives he will get nothing, there would be no damages unless he seize, struck his head and had a bleed in his brain.

Now he seizes and dies, well maybe his family gets rich but what a fucked up way to look at things.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:51:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Weird. They hardly have an effect on me. I only take them at night. They don't make me feel groggy the next day either. I either sleep or I don't 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I take klonopin to sleep too. If I don't, I don't sleep. No other effects. At all.

I was off for a couple of weeks. I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms. That's why I'm curious as to the dosage the O.P.'s friend is/was on.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#38]
A friend of mine thinks the OP is actually the one hooked on benzos and was hoping for pointers on how to get more pills.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My kid's mom was on a high dose of dilaudid for chronic pain for something she was born with. Her pain management guy up and left his practice in the middle of the night leaving his patients hanging. The new doc put her on a pain "cocktail" and refused to tell her what was in it. She had surgery to reduce the pain and tapered off the pain cocktail. This was 20 years ago and all is good. I know the feeling of being helpless and also accusations of being an enabler. I hope everything works out for your friend.
View Quote
With all due respect, bullshit. No doctor is not going to tell you what he prescribes and there is no way you can get a script at the pharmacy without knowing what it was in detail.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Denile is just not a river in Egypt.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What dose was he taking.
View Quote
Yeah how much clonazepam was he eating a day? I have a script for it and take 1g a few here and there.  No real withdrawl issues after years

Edit to add i take it for neureulogical pain
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:06:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A benzo addict lying, manipulating, and being non-compliant?  

Inconceivable dot jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1

He was most likely given a tapering schedule, didn't follow it, and now wants more Benzos.

Inconceivable dot jpg
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:08:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Yep. Recently saw an elderly lady go into benzo withdrawal because she blew through her taper. Her original dose was 2mg Klonopin 4 times a day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1

He was most likely given a tapering schedule, didn't follow it, and now wants more Benzos.
The best way to taper Benzos is to never start them in the first place.  We doctors completely get ourselves into trouble with them.  They were never meant to be used on a daily or long-term basis, yet doctors do so all the time, though there is a strong trend away from Benzos and opiates.  Thank goodness!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Inconceivable dot jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1

Inconceivable dot jpg
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
K-pin's are also used for seizure control, it's not always about abuse for fuck's sake, if it was there could be trouble. If he was abusing he can start having seizure's.
View Quote
Benzos suck for seizure control.  

Benzos act on the exact same receptors as alcohol. They have the exact same effects. They have the exact same withdrawal (DT's). Everything you use a benzo for, substitute a fifth of jack. They SHOULD be only used in the OR or ER and using them on an outpatient setting on a regular basis is foolish. You only find dinosaurs prescribing "mothers little helper" anymore.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
After my father died I started having panic attacks and was prescribed Ativan. They gave me a bucketful of them (about 90 1 mg pills) . Label said to take one in the AM and one and night.

I didn't do that and only took them as needed - maybe half a pill  at night 4x a week and at about week 6 I started getting interdose  withdrawal symptoms and realized I had a physical dependency on them, after not taking anywhere CLOSE to the prescribed dose.

I went off them cold turkey, went through withdrawals during my FILs death and funeral  (we lost him shortly after my own dad), and sent a scathing note to the docs telling them their cavalierness with benzos are turning people into pill heads and they need to warn people about the chance of physical dependency and what to watch out for. They had never warned me at all about what could happen and I developed a tolerance and a dependency REALLY quickly to them on a REALLY low dose.

So, I could see how it could happen to OPs friend. Combine that with a new doc that cut him off abruptly and yeah his life sucks right now. Best thing is to get him to another doc (or the cutoff doc) ASAP and put on a taper schedule and get OFF the damn things for good.    
As many others have said, cold turkey could be dangerous for him depending on how much he was on for how long and his physical makeup.   I did go cold turkey because I wasn't on that much for that long, but even so I had crazy headaches, shakes, tremors, jumpiness, and felt like my hair was tap-dancing on my head for about 2 weeks.

CG
View Quote
What? You couldn't cope so you took pills and it's the docs fault?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Benzos act on the exact same receptors as alcohol. They have the exact same effects. They have the exact same withdrawal (DT's). Everything you use a benzo for, substitute a fifth of jack. They SHOULD be only used in the OR or ER and using them on an outpatient setting on a regular basis is foolish. You only find dinosaurs prescribing "mothers little helper" anymore.
View Quote
Hey now! the damn things are fine as long as not taken daily.  Ive had a script for them for around 8 years or so.  I am suppose to take daily but thats just asking for trouble.  Taken here and there they are fine and do their job on nerve pain on the left side of my face
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:18:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Benzos hit the alcohol receptors?  Shit, now I want to try some.  Cold beer in a capsule?  Sign me up!
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Hey now! the damn things are fine as long as not taken daily.  Ive had a script for them for around 8 years or so.  I am suppose to take daily but thats just asking for trouble.  Taken here and there they are fine and do their job on nerve pain on the left side of my face
View Quote
Just like a 5th of Jack is fine if you don't take it daily.

How does a benzo stop nerve pain. It's not even in the analgesic class.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My wife takes that sometimes, her doctor told her "It can make you stupid" and is very careful about prescribing and refilling it.  She's been denied a refill, or given an equal number of lesser tablets, more than once. Just recently they wanted her to stop taking it completely, but she managed to talk them into a small number at a lower dosage.  I'm guessing that next time will be the last.  Really looking forward to that. 
View Quote
lots of folks dont realize it, but benzos have some serious cognitive side effects

i did part of my MIS on them and it sucked ass
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top