Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/23/2017 3:54:54 AM EDT
When I go backpacking I typically carry a pack around 40 pounds that has a hip belt that blocks off most of the good options to carry when I am hiking.  What do you guys use to carry when out hiking/backpacking?  Was thinking maybe a OWB holster or a thigh holster, also could possibly pocket carry but wondered what you guys did.  Probably just carry my Glock 43 since its light and ounces make pounds.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:56:32 AM EDT
[#1]
642 in the pocket.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:03:23 AM EDT
[#2]
AR on VTAC sling.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:06:11 AM EDT
[#3]
What pack are you using?  Is getting a back that allows hip carry an option?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:09:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Diamond Dave guides choice holster.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:16:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What pack are you using?  Is getting a back that allows hip carry an option?
View Quote
I carry an Osprey Aether 60 for multiple days, or an Osprey Mantra 28 for day hikes.  

Any high weight pack is going to have a hip belt otherwise it would destroy your shoulders.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:18:48 AM EDT
[#6]
That chest holster looks pretty cool, I wonder if the shoulder strap would rub on my backpack strap.  Looks like they make one that can clip to a backpack belt
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:20:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Depends, usually a .45 in a OWB holster if I'm not going too far out.

If I'm going deep into the woods out back I take an AR too, bears generally leave people alone around here but I wouldn't want to be an outlier.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:25:15 AM EDT
[#8]
HPG Kitbag.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:30:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
HPG Kitbag.
View Quote
Got mine two weeks ago. Did about 70 miles with it alone, with an osprey 48 with the rig and a attached to a mountain hardwear south col. Absolutely love it since you can throw other stuff in the big pockets, like a fly box.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:37:47 AM EDT
[#10]
If the weapon doesn't have to be concealed, then I would affix a holster to the front of my off-hand backpack shoulder strap.

Like this, but with better shooting.

Seems like any of the OWB/IWB/hip suggestions wouldn't work due to the backpack hip belt.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:45:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Hill People Gear chest rig.  It holds my pistol (G17 or G43) compass, snacks, etc...
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:48:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Just wanted to say that thigh holsters are terrible if you are doing any sort of physical activity. Don't get a thigh holster. 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:57:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for Hill People Gear chest kit.  Between the infantry and civilian backpacking, I've tried a bunch of different ways.  Chest is best.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:00:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Ost
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:16:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If the weapon doesn't have to be concealed, then I would affix a holster to the front of my off-hand backpack shoulder strap.

Like this, but with better shooting.

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/productimage_10775_productinuse2.jpg?v=22

Seems like any of the OWB/IWB/hip suggestions wouldn't work due to the backpack hip belt.
View Quote
Depends.  My flap holster can be made to sit below the belt.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:07:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Depends on the terrain, distance, etc.

Normally a P938 in my front or cargo pocket. I've carried my G19 IWB too. If I was going on a multiday trek I'd probably switch to a shoulder holster or putting a holster on the weak side strap if that was an option.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:07:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Chest holster or put a holster on the hip belt.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:26:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Go Tier 1 bro.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:39:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
......ounces make pounds.
View Quote

Exactly! Lighten your load to the point you no longer need a hipbelt and carry as normal. 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Safariland.

The pack is an osprey Atmos 65

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
HPG Kitbag.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Attachment Attached File

I hang this on my waist belt on the trail and regular belt in camp.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Use to carry a Glock 19 in hip holster with boundary packs in 60+lb range back in my canoe days.  Thigh ride tended to bang into canoe parts while paddling and get submerged if you jump out close to shore to save canoe bottom from grindage.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Hill People Gear
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#25]
This. End thread.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:54:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Exactly! Lighten your load to the point you no longer need a hipbelt and carry as normal. 
View Quote
That's what I did after lugging around 30 pounds of crap I never used or "might" use at Red River Gorge, never again.

My pack for a 3 day camping/hiking trip weighs under 15lbs now with food, water, tent ect.

I plan to push the weight further down when I can afford a down quilt and a lighter air mat, less weight makes for a far more enjoyable experience and gets you to places quicker and easier.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Usually a 642 in a small camera case on the waist belt; sometimes a fanny pack on the front.  There are plenty of camera cases that are made to fit the wide pack belts and nobody pays them any attention (more important here on the east coast where sometimes you need a concealed means concealed approach ).
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:12:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Wilderness Safepacker
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:17:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
That's what I did after lugging around 30 pounds of crap I never used or "might" use at Red River Gorge, never again.

My pack for a 3 day camping/hiking trip weighs under 15lbs now with food, water, tent ect.

I plan to push the weight further down when I can afford a down quilt and a lighter air mat, less weight makes for a far more enjoyable experience and gets you to places quicker and easier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's your pack look like?  Got any pics?  I hike RRG frequently and have gotten my pack down to 20lbs for 3 days, but really don't know how I'd get it much lower without buying super lightweight versions of what I already have.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:18:34 AM EDT
[#30]
We do this thread about once a month and the answer is always the Hill People Gear Kit Bag.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Diamond Dave guides choice holster.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/169488/IMG-0441-214633.JPG
View Quote
I got one of these last year for a 1911, it is very comfortable, simple movement to get the gun out, you'll really appreciate the craftsmanship of the leather work.

When the weather cools of here, this is what is used under a lite flannel shift. it's even under the Santa Claus suit, come Christmas.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:27:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What's your pack look like?  Got any pics?  I hike RRG frequently and have gotten my pack down to 20lbs for 3 days, but really don't know how I'd get it much lower without buying super lightweight versions of what I already have.
View Quote
I'll take some pictures when I get home I use an Osprey 33.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:32:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:34:03 AM EDT
[#34]
I bought a medium pouch from Tactical Tailor - it's about the size of a canteen pouch. With the molle webbing I can attach it to my hip belt. An upholstery buddy sewed a strap inside so I can mount a holster for my S&W 29. Attached to my pack it just looks like I have an accessory pouch on so none of the tree huggers get triggered. When I'm out in the woods I open the top of the pouch and tuck it behind the grip so pistol is easy to get to. Get back to the visitor center, it's closed back up and nobody is the wiser.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#35]
40 pounds? What kind of hikes are you doing?

In the past I've taken my:

SIG P228
FN FNP9
Ruger LC9

I want to start taking an AR-15 and have been building some lightweight ones.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hill People Gear chest rig.  It holds my pistol (G17 or G43) compass, snacks, etc...
View Quote
What if you're wearing a bino harness already?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:39:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I love my down quilt. It is my favorite piece of gear and definitely worth the investment. It is probably the first thing I would recommend to someone trying to lighten their pack. Even if you cannot live without a camp chair and a huge tent nothing beats the freedom of sleeping in a down quilt.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
HPG Kitbag.
View Quote
This is what I did.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:40:19 AM EDT
[#39]
I just put the holster on the waist belt of the pack.

Terrible picture, but you can see the 629 on the belt.

60 pound pack, week long trip in the bighorns.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I love my down quilt. It is my favorite piece of gear and definitely worth the investment. It is probably the first thing I would recommend to someone trying to lighten their pack. Even if you cannot live without a camp chair and a huge tent nothing beats the freedom of sleeping in a down quilt.
View Quote
I agree my sleeping bag is currently sitting at 2.7 or so pounds for a 40 degree synthetic and a 40 degree quilt would easily knock off at least a pound and a half if not more and add slightly more space in the pack.

I was planning on buying one of these Enlightened Equipment - Revelation

I hate most bags the zipper is always on the wrong side and they tend to be too restrictive, So I'm sure I'll welcome the change over.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#41]
Taurus 605 in a nylon hip holster. I've been pondering a chest rig though. 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
HPG Kitbag.
View Quote
DING DING
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Hill People Gear Kit Bag
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wear by bino harness over my kit bag.  I have my kit bad adjusted to ride towards the high side, and my bino harness adjusted to ride toward the low end.  In practice, the binos and the kit bag are both laying against my chest, essentially on top of one another.  

Is this an ideal solution?  No.  But it is workable.

When I have some time I want to play around with trying to find a method to attach a pair of elastic bino straps directly to my Kit Bag harness, and have the binos rest against the front of my Kit Bag.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm a weight freak when it comes to backpacking.  I carry an LCP in my hipbelt pocket.  Never used it.  The worst I have to worry about are black bears and methheads.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Mine fits in a side pocket of my pack. It works surprisingly well. I don't have a drop leg, nor do I want one, and a chest rig would be uncomfortable. I'm all about comfort.

Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:27:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
HPG Kitbag.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That chest holster looks pretty cool, I wonder if the shoulder strap would rub on my backpack strap.  Looks like they make one that can clip to a backpack belt
View Quote
I've got that same setup for my Ruger toklat and had to wrap a hockey stick tape around the leather where it crosses the shoulder strap because I was getting an annoying slight squeak and when your bowhunting trying to be quiet any little noise pisses you off lol. The setup whorls great though because I were the holster a bit lower down by my left side stomached and have no interference from my fhf bino harness and rangefinder pouch. 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  Holds my 629 5" or Alaskan with ease, along with reload, and a few other odds and ends.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top