Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2001 2:48:17 PM EDT
I would like to join the reserves after I get out of college. When you join up what exactly happens. Do you go to boot camp like everyone else? This would be a good thing. Also, do you get any special training like how to fly or something along those lines? I would like to learn to fly a chopper, but If you can't do that in the reserves then oh well I guess.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are getting a degree don't enlist. You can go in as a officer. Look on the Army Web Site www.goarmy.com
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, you go to basic like everyone else. After that, you move on to Advanced Individual Training, determined by what your MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) is.  Your MOS options will be determined by what sort of unit you join; research the job options available to you in your area. To get into the area you want, you may have to join a unit some distance from you. In my old Guard unit, I had people that drove 4 hours each way for drill weekeends.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Reserves go through the same thing as Regular Army. If you want to be an officer to fly, you will need minimum 2 years of college.
Side note: In basic training you will eat after regular Army. In the same platoon they will say regular Army to the front of the chow line. National Guard (NoGo) and Reserves in back.
Among other things.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I never had the chow line thing happen to me at Ft. Benning and after I became a drill instructor I didn't do that to the trainees. In the Army you can fly a helicopter as a warrent officer.      HOOOAAAAHHHHHH
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Go in as a Warrant Officer. Is between enlisted and regular officers. Good job, not a lot of Leadership crap to deal with but all the respect and benifits of being an officer. You also get to fly your as off. To check it out find a local Guard or Reserve Aviation unit and talk to the recruiter there.

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 4:06:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Reserves go through the same thing as Regular Army. If you want to be an officer to fly, you will need minimum 2 years of college.
Side note: In basic training you will eat after regular Army. In the same platoon they will say regular Army to the front of the chow line. National Guard (NoGo) and Reserves in back.
Among other things.
View Quote

Not true, can be a Warrant without College.

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Go here for info on Warrants...

[url]http://leav-www.army.mil/wocc/woes/howtowo.htm[/url]

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#8]
You can fly in the reserves. As far as Naval Aviators(This includes Marines cause they are a dept of the Navy) are concerned you would need to go to AOCS(Aviation officers Candidate School) Get a commission and qualify for your chosen aircraft. Then you go to flight school. After graduating you get your wings and report to your unit. That's when you start your 1wknd a month, 2wks out of every year. Most pilots go more than that however, to keep up their flight hours. I've known pilots to go for 3wknds out of the month and maybe a 3wks out of the year on active. Officers normally serve 2yrs active prior to reserves however. Better ask an officer program recruiter(not enlisted recruiter they don't know shit about officer corp. programs). However I am 90% sure on serving 2yrs prior to going into reserves status if you want to go the Aviation route in the Navy/Marine.

Link Posted: 5/3/2001 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
You cannot go directly into the USMCR as an aviator.  All Marine pilots have to do something like 7 years of active duty upon completion of flight training.  Which most don't finish until at least their 2nd year of active duty.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You cannot go directly into the USMCR as an aviator.  All Marine pilots have to do something like 7 years of active duty upon completion of flight training.  Which most don't finish until at least their 2nd year of active duty.
View Quote

well there you go. 12wks AOCS. I believe its like 9mos+ of flight school and I don't know how many mos in a training squadron. But no other branch of service can touch naval aviators. Can Army or Airforce land on a pitching carier in the dead of night? I don't think so.......

I don't know but its been said
Airforce wings are made of led
I don't know but its been told
Navy wings are made of gold.
Sound off
sound off
bring it on down
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Hell, we landed on ships in all types of weather in many times of day and night when I was in the Army in Central America in the 80s. Flew a lot of mail out to "Repair" Ships. also got to land on the Iowa once. That rocked.

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This includes Marines cause they are a dept of the Navy
View Quote

Yes, the Marine Corps is in the Department of the Navy. The Men's Department.

Sorry, shipmates. I couldn't resist.

Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes, the Marine Corps is in the Department of the Navy. The Men's Department.

Sorry, shipmates. I couldn't resist.

Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
View Quote

Hmmmm.......

What does the Marine Corp and the gay population have in common?
They are both looking for a few good men.

You didn't think a squid would let that comment go un-checked do you [:D] LOL
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Marines, 226 years of tradition, unhampered by progress.

Navy carrier. leaves with 6,000 men, returns with 3,000 couples.

Heh

Aviator
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Nothing against Marines, I have trained some of the best C-12 Marine pilots in Naval Aviation.

In Naval and Marine aviation you can not go directly into a "weekend warrior" spot.
You need to give up 6 years (after OCS and about 18-24 months of the flight school pipeline) as an active duty reserve officer.

If you really want to only fly helicopters then the US Army Warrent program is the way to go.
Most Army Warrents I have met who fly helos are really cool people.
Their career path blows, it's all over at around 12 years. I know a few Army Warrents who made the transition to both Navy and Marine fixed wing flying duty.

We hosted an H-60 reserve outfit in our hanger once, I really didn't know how crazy those Army Warrents and Enlisted crewmen wer untill I saw H-60's that had mud and dirt packed into every fuslage opening below the main doors and bits and pieces of trees on both the main and tail rotors.
"All in a days flying" was what they said. They offered me a ride, I passed!
They were doing some sort of ops with a Gator Freighter off of Camp Pendlton.

If there is an ROTC outfit on your campus you need to visit it.
Stay away from regular Enlisted recruiters!!

Link Posted: 5/3/2001 11:41:07 PM EDT
[#16]
.[/quote]

Hmmmm.......

What does the Marine Corp and the gay population have in common?
They are both looking for a few good men.

You didn't think a squid would let that comment go un-checked do you [:D] LOL[/quote]

Your just sore at Marines 'cause I shot better with your Glock at the last ar15.com shoot than you did. :D

GySgt D  (I really need to change my nick)
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 12:02:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I've always heard that the Marines were created so that the Navy men could have dance partners. [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top