User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Spartandieseltech, I think we talked on the phone previously.  When my 2014 6.7 runs out of warranty, I'm bringing it to you.  No, I will never drive it in CA.
View Quote
Do it now and don't look back.  140k on my 2013 tuned since 80k.  And have not needed  thing warranty would have covered..   and realy most of the stuff that goes bad is emissions related anyway so you are taking that out !
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:12:04 AM EDT
[#2]
All Ford 6.0l diesel engine owners should read this list and do as many of them you can.  I'm only short a couple.

http://www.ficmrepair.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=13/mode=cat/cat13.htm
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:19:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Once you pull the exhaust and turbo, its fairly easy job.
Helped my brother do it on his 06 in less than a days worth of sunlight and it was the first time tearing into the truck.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:31:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Um, you have head gaskets out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did that the first week I had my current work truck. You could crack the cap shortly after a trip and not get any pressure. The new one I can leave it sitting for two days and crack it open and still have a ton of pressure shoot out.
Um, you have head gaskets out.
Explain please.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Bump, getting interested 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Definitely replace the Degas cap. That is the actual root cause of most 6.0 cooling system issues. It's not a coolant problem, it is the fact that the degas caps go bad and can't keep the system pressurized. Most people, including technicians, don't think about testing the cap.

~ 18 year Ford diesel tech.
View Quote
this, only part I've changed on my 04 6.0
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#7]
The 6.0 is a great platform if you maintain it properly.

The only major repair if had to do is put a new radiator after the original one with 150k miles on it started leaking right after I bought it.

wasnt that hard and only cost proabaly 400$ for the radiator, hoses, thermostat, and new coolant 
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:05:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Hell, at this point I am not sure what to do.  I think my best bet would be to at least get gauges to monitor EGT and ECT/EOT deltas, and do a coolant flush.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 10:11:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hell, at this point I am not sure what to do.  I think my best bet would be to at least get gauges to monitor EGT and ECT/EOT deltas, and do a coolant flush.
View Quote
The scan gauge 2, will monitor everything you need for a pretty inexpesive price.  

Link here
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:27:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 4:48:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

6.0 liter used gold not orange.
View Quote
Mine had green in it, apparently from the factory.  When I bought it, I already had the coolant filter to install in it, so I went to the Parts Store at the dealership and got another gallon.  The color?  Green.  Go figure.  The truck had arrived at the dealership the day before and had less than 4 miles on it.

I got a pic around here somewhere with a bucket and you can clearly see the color of the AF is green, not gold that's supposed to be used.  The green stayed in it until around 35-40k miles, when I flushed it all out and replaced it with CAT EC-1 rated AF.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 5:08:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
There are a lot of options on the market. You'll probably have to buy the EGT probe as the truck doesn't monitor that parameter (at least my 04 doesn't).
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 7:17:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

6.0 liter used gold not orange.
View Quote
Ford's antifreeze is "gold" but the color is more closer related to orange. Really, it's whatever.

But don't use it in a diesel.

It's junk.
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#14]
https://www.bulletproofdiesel.com

Check out this place I do a lot of 6.0 work the two killers on these engines is the oil filtration system and the oil cooler is like a plumbing pee trap. All kinda shit settles in the bottom and restricts the flow of coolant. Thus causing a flash boil in the egr cooler and cracking it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top