Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:31:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
LOL
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:32:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

God's gift to man was not happiness, but free will, the fundamental aspect of life and agency. There can be no meaningful choice without the possibility of failure and the subsequent consequences. The measure of a man is not about how he behaves when all is well. A man's character is revealed through adversity.

Would you play a video game where you always won, and every challenge was easy? Probably not for long. It would grow boring in short order. Now consider that from the perspective of a true believer, life IS a video game, a very complex MMO. It's a simulation, and not reality at all. It's a crafted challenge, where you can choose to cooperate, go it alone, value others or treat them as tools. You actions and decisions influence the world for good or ill. And, yes, sometimes, the random number generator screws you, no matter how well you played.

One of the most fundamental design considerations for games is "meaningful choices." If you think of it in those terms, there are no contradictions. You chose to play, to compete, to measure yourself against others. When the game ends, the players will be scored. Hopefully, there will be another game, and another, ad infinitum.

What else would one do with eternity except challenge himself and learn his true nature?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

God's gift to man was not happiness, but free will, the fundamental aspect of life and agency. There can be no meaningful choice without the possibility of failure and the subsequent consequences. The measure of a man is not about how he behaves when all is well. A man's character is revealed through adversity.

Would you play a video game where you always won, and every challenge was easy? Probably not for long. It would grow boring in short order. Now consider that from the perspective of a true believer, life IS a video game, a very complex MMO. It's a simulation, and not reality at all. It's a crafted challenge, where you can choose to cooperate, go it alone, value others or treat them as tools. You actions and decisions influence the world for good or ill. And, yes, sometimes, the random number generator screws you, no matter how well you played.

One of the most fundamental design considerations for games is "meaningful choices." If you think of it in those terms, there are no contradictions. You chose to play, to compete, to measure yourself against others. When the game ends, the players will be scored. Hopefully, there will be another game, and another, ad infinitum.

What else would one do with eternity except challenge himself and learn his true nature?
And yet there is supposedly a heaven with eternal joy and no sin and nothing bad. 

Apparently God couldn't have just made Earth like that 

We'll just be robots with no free will in heaven, huh... 
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:33:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There is no god...
View Quote
Don't tell OP
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:34:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That kid must have forgot the sabbath day, forgot to keep it holy. Or coveted his neighbor's bowl of cassava.
View Quote
There an alternative and logical explanation that may not come from the Christian realm. Karma. Past lives and all, karmic debt. It makes the most sense. Rich don't always deserve to be rich, poor don't always deserve it either, and on and on. Karma is the most logical explanation i can think of. As Voltaire said, it's not any more surprising to be born twice than once.

so you poke someone's eye out in a past live, and you will be stuck in a wheelchair for the rest of this life.

Whether it's true or not, I have no idea.

If the Bible is true, it does not encompass all reality.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:34:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Same reason parents allow their adult children to make stupid decisions.
View Quote
Most parents would not stand idly by and refuse to help if their adult children were suffering from severe illness or grievous injury.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:35:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:36:33 AM EDT
[#9]
LOL
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:41:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Because of Christ, we are not under the Old Testament law anymore.  

Rather, here is what he says in John 13:34.  "Love one another. As I have loved you, so also you must love one another."

Matthew 25:44-45.  "And they too will reply, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45Then the King will answer, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for Me.’…"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That kid must have forgot the sabbath day, forgot to keep it holy. Or coveted his neighbor's bowl of cassava.
Because of Christ, we are not under the Old Testament law anymore.  

Rather, here is what he says in John 13:34.  "Love one another. As I have loved you, so also you must love one another."

Matthew 25:44-45.  "And they too will reply, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45Then the King will answer, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for Me.’…"
lol
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:42:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That picture, like your angry accusation against God, is an illusion.

That picture was taken 40 yards away from an airstrip where they were offloading food, and his mother was within eyesight, standing in line for rations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/V6P5iII.jpg

That picture was taken 40 yards away from an airstrip where they were offloading food, and his mother was within eyesight, standing in line for rations.
none of this is real, it's an illusion
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:43:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have no doubt OP had good intentions but this forum is a shitshow.
View Quote
Wrong OP is a troll
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:44:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Same reason parents allow their adult children to make stupid decisions.
View Quote
even if it's to inflict evil on others?  who's getting the lesson, the victim or the assailant?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:44:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And yet there is supposedly a heaven with eternal joy and no sin and nothing bad. 

Apparently God couldn't have just made Earth like that 

We'll just be robots with no free will in heaven, huh... 
View Quote
I am likely a blasphemer, but I tend to think of heaven as the between game place where we talk about how we played, and hang out until we decide to make a new character. "I enjoyed your villain, even as I hated him. Perhaps this time around, I'll play that role for you, and we'll talk again about how it felt to be that sort of person."

The alternative is believing you only get one shot, and nothing matters because the universe ends in heat death or big crunch. If that is so, no choice we make matters anyway, and only aesthetics have value. In that case, who could fault a man for choosing whatever world view that pleases him? The only possible meaning to life would be whatever one chose to get him through the day.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:45:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Why do we allow it?  It's our worlds...
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:49:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

1. We did not choose to rebel. We did not even exist at the time that God cursed Mankind.

2. Adam and Eve did not choose to rebel. They were basically two dumb kids left alone in a room with a loaded gun on the table, by an irresponsible father who left and knowingly permitted -- if not directed -- another individual to go in and tell the kids that it was okay to play with the gun, that daddy was just kidding. It's clear that Adam and Eve were deliberately set up to fail by God.
View Quote
So you're saying they were the first dindus? 
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:50:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2) Most suffering is brought about by our free will choices to disobey the Creator and His Word.  The wages of sin is death.

Maybe the photographer should have picked up the kid and saved him, instead of honoring photojournalist integrity standards and letting him die for the sake of his profession. And then realizing his inhumanity and committing suicide because he was, in reality, a pussy.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:55:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There is no god...
View Quote
A FUCKIN Men

Bullshit created to keep the masses in line.
Granted  it is good way to treat your fellow man
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:56:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Why does the creator of this earth and all life in it not do things the way we want him to? I don't know. I would not presume to know the will of God.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:12:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Without suffering, there would not be firearms. 

Fact. 
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:13:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm an atheist.  Didn't read the article.

We can't grow and become better people, or become truly empathetic without failure, or suffering.  Besides how boring would this world be if everything was perfect and easy.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:33:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
1) Let us not forget that Christ suffered more than any of us, and unlike us, He did not deserve it.  He did so willingly so that all who accept Him shall have eternal life.

2) Most suffering is brought about by our free will choices to disobey the Creator and His Word.  The wages of sin is death.

3) Other suffering is brought about by Satan via spiritual warfare.  The Bible says that he comes to "kill, steal, and destroy" and goes around like a lion looking for whom he can devour.  

4) As for God "allowing" it, I think it is the Book of Isaiah says that says His thoughts are not like our thoughts, and His ways are not like ours.  The good news is that eventually, He is going to put an end to it.
View Quote
Screenshot
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:47:38 AM EDT
[#23]
IMHO,

If a supreme creator of all creation exists it is beyond any anthropomorphic conception our brains are capable of conceiving, therefore my perspective is inherently, limited, flawed, and could be outright wrong.

That being said, to me, the creator encompasses the totality of all creation thus it is everything, and as everything it is something-- as well as a something's opposite and everything in between. This is because for something to exist its opposite must also exist, otherwise you have neither. Also, being everything it is also nothing as well.

For example, the creator is both loving and fearful, joyful and hateful, good and evil, innocent and guilty, and so on and so forth ad infinitum. Such a notion rejects the idea that the creator is wholly good, wholly loving, etc.

Furthermore, for free will to exist creation must be able to fully express and experience itself. The creator set forth all the laws of creation to work with the fundamental elements of itself so that it can evolve and function independent of direct intervention, allowing creation to continuously create and experience itself.

If the creator did not allow people to suffer there would be no experiential knowing of its opposite, just as if there was no night we would not know what day is, we would not know hot without cold and so on.

I find most religious dogma to be an antiquated, infantile, attempt to understand the greater reality, which is beyond what men a long time ago (and today) were capable of writing about.
I find the atheistic perspective improbable because it assumes that the entirety of our existence within this particular 15 billion year old universe is confined to the 80 or so years as a bipedal hominid and that's it (void?)

I do believe as we continue to evolve we will come to better understand creation. I don't know if my perspective will be helpful to you in your journey but its whats working for me presently, and its always subject to change.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:54:06 AM EDT
[#24]
I believe less with each passing day
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:02:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Being god is like building a city in Sim City. You build the earth's terrain, lay a few roads and some infrastructure, and let your civilization grow and develop, but you dont micromanage every little thing. And then theres the disaster button. Sure you try to let the city develop and thrive, but you get bored, hit the disaster button and laugh maniacally as a Tornado destroys some stuff. Its not that youhate your city, you just become bored and need some entertainment... cause you're an asshole..
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:04:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Humanity has to be pushed in one way or another. Without adversity, why would we bother advancing ourselves?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:04:49 AM EDT
[#27]
There can be no mountains if valleys did not exist.

Either that or your god is an impotent, petty little jerk off.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:09:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Humanity has to be pushed in one way or another. Without adversity, why would we bother advancing ourselves?
View Quote
Why bother advancing ourselves at all? A human life is a pointless thing.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:13:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes, she was. No anger here on my part, there's a certain happiness knowing that she is no longer in pain and in a better place. The slow death of cancer is
akin to Spanish Moss on a tree. If it's not removed it eventually just sucks the life out of its host.

Yea, cancer really does suck.
View Quote
Sorry for your loss
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:13:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1. We did not choose to rebel. We did not even exist at the time that God cursed Mankind.

2. Adam and Eve did not choose to rebel. They were basically two dumb kids left alone in a room with a loaded gun on the table, by an irresponsible father who left and knowingly permitted -- if not directed -- another individual to go in and tell the kids that it was okay to play with the gun, that daddy was just kidding. It's clear that Adam and Eve were deliberately set up to fail by God.
Heh, heh. No.

I'm saying their father was an abusive asshole who wanted blind obedience, intentionally kept his kids ignorant, and didn't protect them from an individual whom he knew would seduce them.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:20:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
How about: To become better than we are?

I didn't go to college to overcome adversity. I did it to learn more than I already knew.

I didn't go to the gym to overcome adversity. I did it to become stronger than I was.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:26:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Because there is no magical cloud person in the sky...
View Quote
Sticking your nose in a discussion just to make a slimy, shitty comment like this what I'd expect from a high school student.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:27:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sticking your nose in a discussion just to make a slimy, shitty comment like this what I'd expect from a high school student.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because there is no magical cloud person in the sky...
God forbid someone dares to have a differing opinion. 
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:28:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There is no god...
View Quote
And how was the universe created? God is always one step beyond what we are able to comprehend.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:34:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There can be no mountains if valleys did not exist.
View Quote
Not true. There can be mountains and plains, with no valleys.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:34:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And how was the universe created? God is always one step beyond what we are able to comprehend.
View Quote
And how was God created? Nothing is always one step beyond what we are able to comprehend.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:37:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is no god...
There is no proof that the universe was created, or that God exists.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:38:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not a fan of the spirit of a line of thinking? Got it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:42:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Not a fan of the spirit of a line of thinking?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a fan of the spirit of a line of thinking?
Not a fan of erroneous thinking.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 2:47:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not a fan of erroneous thinking.
View Quote
You sound fun.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:14:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My dad just passed away, I seen the most horrible kind of suffering from his cancer I have ever heard or seen in my life, the last week of life was not fit for an animal let alone a person. We "us family" were brought to tears, on our knees next to his recliner, he had to sit up to catch his breath, one maybe 2 words at a time before he started coughing up blood and drowning from fluid in his lungs, they drained more than a quart and a half of fluid from his lungs everyday. Nobody is going to tell me god love's you me or anyone else, ya fuckin right god loves you. Fuckin load of shit, I am still a mess, can't believe this could go on, DR please put him to sleep was said more than once.
View Quote
I've been thinking about this post the most for the past few hours. I don't have any words for what you and your family have just gone through. I am sorry.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:17:03 AM EDT
[#42]
I think the concept of reincarnation eliminates a lot of the theological problems with suffering, pain, etc.  Consider the possibility of reincarnation as Plato believed (i.e. not Hindu reincarnation).  People incarnate multiple times on earth, which is a kind of school.  Each life is like a different class.  Maybe in one life, you are a peasant, and you think "Man, that guy in the castle sure is a dick.  I work all day and he steals 1/3 for this 'taxes' bullshit"  The next life you are the guy in the castle, and you think "Man, those peasants sure are ungrateful.  I spend all day protecting them from Saracens and its all bitch bitch bitch."  Back in the eternal part of the universe, you synthesize both of those lessons, having seen it from both perspectives.  After many, many such lives you have acquired great wisdom, and are ready for better things.    
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:08:39 AM EDT
[#43]
If (just pretend for a moment) you make the assumption that there is no God, this becomes kind of a dumb question. 
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:32:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Maybe the photographer should have picked up the kid and saved him, instead of honoring photojournalist integrity standards and letting him die for the sake of his profession. And then realizing his inhumanity and committing suicide because he was, in reality, a pussy.
View Quote
Maybe the photographer wanted the kid to learn god's lesson in the fullest and so didn't interfere.  Both god and the photographer could have done something.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:43:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Watch or read "The Shack"
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:49:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Reasons. Lotttttttts of reasons.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#47]
"Hold up yo, instead of using my unlimited powers to make this situation impossible in the first place, ima create a dude with no powers whatsoever who will fix these situations. If he feels like it. And I'm gonna be snarky if he asks me why I don't just take care of it."
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Father Odin gives us pain in life to harden us for battle so that we may die fighting and earn a place at the long table.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:55:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Who knows such things?
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 8:59:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
It does not matter if the child had a 5 star meal waiting for it.  The child got that way because of starvation.  

According to your version of the story, men are there to help.  I don't see gods doing shit.  The photog ran off the buzzard and the child lived for 14 years only later to die from malaria.  Malaria is a disease that kills millions, the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation is the number 1 contributor to malaria research and medical assistance.  The Gate's are atheist and the richest people in the world.  Way to go Bill!!!
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top