Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 5/19/2017 2:47:30 AM EDT
Link

Some of the gold from the frequently asked questions on his site.

Q:  Why can't I talk to you on the phone?

A:   Well, you CAN, just not for free.
I AM available to advise you, but there is a minimum $10 fee for it.
I charge $150 per hour whether I am working on your gun, or giving you advice, it uses the same time from my day.
I will not count exact minutes on the phone, but we all need to try to be fair about it.
$150hr = $2.50 per minute, send as much as you feel you may need, any $ left over & can be credited to your gun work.
Before you complain, ask does your lawyer charge you for phone time?

Q:  Can I drop off my gun to you?

A:   YES, but there is a $100 fee (per visit) JUST to get in the door.
And it is by APPOINTMENT ONLY.
Just like a Doctor visit or Lawyer's session.
$100 Per Visit Charge (drop off = 1 + pick up = 2 / 1+1=2 visits)
Please read my NEW POLICIES web page for more information.

Q: Will you return my old parts after you replace them with new parts?

A: NO, not unless you request it IN ADVANCE, and usually pay a small core charge.
Yes, just like almost all auto parts stores, they charge a core fee until you return the old parts.
I do sell off the old take off parts as scrap to the "garage gunsmiths" to tinker with.
I have no problem returning your old parts to you, just a small extra fee that's all.
PLEASE read my "TJ's Custom Gunworks Standard Work Policy Disclosure & Liability Disclaimer" for more on all of my policies.

Q: Do I need to clean my gun before shipping it to you?

Starting Jan 1, 2012 I am charging a minimum fee of $35 for any gun sent in that is filthy or gummy with grease.
If your gun is just dusty, or you ran a couple mags though it then it is no problem, no charge.
BUT if you have not cleaned you gun in 100's or 1000's of rounds, you can expect to pay a cleaning fee ($35 - $95)
Also if you gun is clean, but you have filled it with any grease, Froglube, or anything similar, it is MINIMUM of $35 cleaning fee (Froglube = $95 cleaning).
If you send me your gun without the cleaning fee and I find it filthy or greased up, I will contact you for the extra $, so don't be shocked.

Would you stop by and eat a pizza on the way to your dentist office for a checkup?????
Probably not, so think about it please. Or, just send the cleaning fee $ and that is all good too.
You are pre-warned so please be fair & considerate.

*Please note the $35 "MINIMUM GUN CLEANING FEE" does NOT include complete disassembly or barrel scrubbing/deleading.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:50:10 AM EDT
[#1]
The man is tired of the tire kickers
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:50:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Holly shit.  That guy must be insufferable to talk to in real life.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:53:01 AM EDT
[#3]
At least he's up front.

You have to be REALLY good at what you do to get away with an attitude like that.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:55:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are both right.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:57:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
This 

And a core charge for gun parts?  I've never had a smith try to pull that on me. 
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:57:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
At least he's up front.

You have to be REALLY good at what you do to get away with an attitude like that.
View Quote
You mean emulating the worst parts of other businesses isn't the best strategy?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:58:26 AM EDT
[#7]
After checking out his website he seems like a real piece of work. I'm sure he's a competent smith but I wouldn't deal with his nonsense. 
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:59:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I've heard of this clown over the years and across many gun forums.

Consensus is he's an ass, his prices are nuts, and his work is average.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:02:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Some of his work.
Tiger stripe pistol

Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:05:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I know where he's coming from.

In my late teens I worked part-time in a custom tuner shop. We did mostly Honda, Mitsubishi, Toyota, etc. Some nice cars came though, too. Single-turbo Supras with 1,100 HP, $50,000 Civics that lived on 200 HP nitrous shots and wore drag slicks on the front to the point it couldn't turn anymore, and an old school AWD Laser that ate sport bikes for breakfast.

An easy 90% of my job was talking to people on the phone or in the shop about their big dream cars. Dudes with jobs bagging groceries at Krogers planning on buying front clips from Japan and fully rebuilding the engines to push 750 HP, and guys with 5 kids but somehow think they're going to daily drive a dropped, modded, straight pipe Subaru to the day care... but then complain about speed bumps and exhaust noise.

Point is, retail in general is pretty shitty when it comes to customer desires and big plans. Custom shops are a hundred times worse.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:08:07 AM EDT
[#11]
People like that are why I strive to know all my guns inside and out so I can do it myself.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:09:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Two things that really stand out, first he is in CA, with all their screwy gun laws, Smith's think they are gold and second, his "custom" gun work has been in a movie, so he has that "golden" charm that getting lucky gives you..

Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:09:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Some of his work.
Tiger stripe pistol

View Quote
Tony approves.

Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:12:30 AM EDT
[#14]
He doesn't charge for reading emails.

Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:20:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I can tell he is burned out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:33:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Some of his work.
Tiger stripe pistol

View Quote
Wow he must be a master certified coater.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:35:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I DO NOT PROVIDE "RECEIPTS" OR "INVOICES" WITH YOUR WORK ORDER, YOU CAN PRINT OUT A "WORK ORDER" FROM MY WEB PAGE AND KEEP A COPY FOR YOUR OWN RECORDS, IF YOU STILL REQUIRE AN INVOICE I WILL PROVIDE ONE FOR YOU FOR A $25 "INVOICE GENERATION FEE"
o please gfy
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:39:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, I don't care how good his work is, I'd butcher my own gun before sending it to him.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:45:55 AM EDT
[#19]
There are too many qualified smiths out there to put up with someone like that. He seems like the kind of guy that would keep your gun for so long you'd have to get the ATF involved to get it back.

The Geocities-quality website is just the icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:51:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I bet he could mill a glock slide pretty good.

And fuck him for that tiger stripe shit. That's a damn Smith 59. I had two and traded one.

They are great guns.  Wish I kept my second 59
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:52:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I've been aware of this guy for years, and yeah -- he's in Los Angeles, surprise.  I've never met him or been in the shop, or had any work done by him, BUT he does (or at least did) sell some custom made SIG parts on ebay....and that's how I came to find out about him.  I bought one of his stainless steel triggers...

...and then that led me to his web site.  HOLY SHIT!  FREAK!

and the web site alone....that's like 1996 technology....his site makes me want to vomit. 

You wonder how he stays in business with his 'rules'...how does he stay in business with that web site?  
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:55:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Reminds me of the guy who was doing the 1911 .22LR conversions...Ceiner??
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:58:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:01:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Shit, for the cost of all the fees he charges you could buy a bunch of tools and go to gunsmithing school.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:05:41 AM EDT
[#25]
The guy sounds utterly retarded.

Q:  What is the difference between the "Bobbed Hammer" and the "Semi Bobbed Hammer" ?

A:   The "Bobbed Hammer" is a FULL bob, you will NOT be able to manually cock the hammer back without racking the slide, it is the best for "legal liability defense".
The "Semi Bobbed Hammer" is more like rounding off the rear of the hammer, I remove the rear serrations that drag on clothing, but I deepen the front cocking serrations so you can cock it faster and more positive if needed.
View Quote
WTF?  
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:11:08 AM EDT
[#26]
He doesn't sound half as cra-cra, but a 600-yard 1911?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:11:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Q: I would like to order some of your parts, what do I need to do ?

A: Just send payment  (CASH (wrapped in newspaper etc.), Money Order, or Cashiers Check / Bank Check)
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:23:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
At least he's up front.

View Quote
LOL!!!
No.

Just jaded.

Gun plumb with a minimal staff, and you spend more time away from the bench.

"Minimal staff" is more than most Gun plumbers ever get.

Time is money.
You ever notice that there are no 'Smiths listed as the top 500 richest Americans?

Odd coincidence, but true.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:32:22 AM EDT
[#29]
What an asshole
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:38:04 AM EDT
[#30]

However... I am willing to barter for old handgun parts or broken guns!
I have in past years made many ongoing arrangements with Police officers to trade gun parts (stripped from confiscated handguns) in trade for my custom work & repairs.
(FYI, when handguns are scheduled for destruction it is usually only the frame that is required to be destroyed as that is the ONLY part of a handgun that is legally the "gun" and registered, so all remaining parts including barrel, slide, and all small parts, are considered scrap and/or non-essestial parts and have no legal binding for destruction).
I welcome any similar trades or bartering as I am always in need of parts, all makes/models are welcome, I dont care if it is junky Davis/Jennings crap, or good SigSauer/S&W etc parts, all are usable for me sooner or later.
View Quote

He says police officer and not agencies.  So he's cool with cops stripping parts off guns and bringing them to him so he can use them?  If they are to be destroyed, they should be and not parted out by scrappers.  If the agency wants to sell parts, that's up to them but it sure looks like he profits off of confiscated guns.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:00:59 AM EDT
[#31]
dude lives in space
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Some of his work.
Tiger stripe pistol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Some of his work.
Tiger stripe pistol

Quoted:
At least he's up front.

Well, so much for that theory.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Reminds me of the guy who was doing the 1911 .22LR conversions...Ceiner??
View Quote
That was my first thought too.  Everytime I see CMMGs conversions it makes me happy.  Ceiner can eat ramen in hell.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:22:34 AM EDT
[#35]
reminds me of the "smith" that completely fucked up my High Power. Luckily, we have Hard_Rock and Bubbles who are good people. They hooked me up and did me right.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:23:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Shit, for the cost of all the fees he charges you could buy a bunch of tools and go to gunsmithing school.
View Quote
Based on the fee to talk to him, the fee to walk in the door based on appointment only, the fee to generate a receipt, etc. you are looking at a few hundred bucks before any work is even done.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:25:54 AM EDT
[#37]
He seems upfront and direct.  I like both of those qualities.

Dunno if I'd ever use him after seeing that gay tiger pistol though.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I DO NOT PROVIDE "RECEIPTS" OR "INVOICES" WITH YOUR WORK ORDER, YOU CAN PRINT OUT A "WORK ORDER" FROM MY WEB PAGE AND KEEP A COPY FOR YOUR OWN RECORDS, IF YOU STILL REQUIRE AN INVOICE I WILL PROVIDE ONE FOR YOU FOR A $25 "INVOICE GENERATION FEE"
o please gfy
View Quote
on that note, that dude can go fuck himself
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Dude is off is rocker. And that webpage hurts to look at. 

First he says: "A gun made 10 years ago is MUCH better then one made today, and one made 15 years ago is MUCH better then that one !  The current cast hammers fall FAR behind the quality / workmanship / workability of the older machined hammers."

Then he says when answering why a new P220 feels better than an old P228 or P226 after he works on it:  "But also ALL the P228 and older P226 have a factory flaw, that is they do not strike the primer in the center"

SO are old ones better of new ones? Cant make up his mind it seems.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Some of his work.
Tiger stripe pistol

View Quote
That is disgusting.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:34:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
He seems upfront and direct.  I like both of those qualities.

Dunno if I'd ever use him after seeing that gay tiger pistol though.
View Quote
No, he sounds like an asshole.  You can be up front and direct without being an asshole.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:36:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Wallpaper I'd misspelled on the price list section
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Wallpaper I'd misspelled on the price list section
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:37:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

and the web site alone....that's like 1996 technology....his site makes me want to vomit. 

You wonder how he stays in business with his 'rules'...how does he stay in business with that web site?  
View Quote
He's too busy working on guns and talking on the phone for $250 an hour to update his website. 

And yes, that's the same website he's had up since the 90s, I remember seeing it back then.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
$5 fee
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:38:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This. Reviewing his "work" I wouldn't send him shite. 

"A standard pistol of any make has a "Defensive" range of 12 feet to 20 yards. In contrast, A Combat NCO® is an "Offensive" pistol and is effective from 2 feet to 400 yards." 
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:40:16 AM EDT
[#47]
I kinda don't blame him though. Gun people are some of the cheapest motherfuckers on the planet.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#48]
I was kinda like right on right until this. That's fucked up

Q: Will you return my old parts after you replace them with new parts?

A: NO, not unless you request it IN ADVANCE, and usually pay a small core charge.
Yes, just like almost all auto parts stores, they charge a core fee until you return the old parts.
I do sell off the old take off parts as scrap to the "garage gunsmiths" to tinker with.
I have no problem returning your old parts to you, just a small extra fee that's all.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#49]
I would love to meet him, just to hear his bullshit in person.

"First of all, I have no competitors"......
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:51:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
dude lives in space
View Quote

Dude needs an enema
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top