Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does a person NEED a prescription to buy a CPAP? Yeah yeah, I'm sure it's better to go that route, but is it NEEDED?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Does a person NEED a prescription to buy a CPAP? Yeah yeah, I'm sure it's better to go that route, but is it NEEDED?
Quoted:
No.  But if you don't get the pressure correct it won't be as effective.
The new ones like the one for $388 listed above are actually APAPs. They automatically adjust to the pressure settings you need.

I bought mine through Amazon without a script.

My cousin that helped me set mine up had me go into the hidden settings a few times and adjust the minimum pressure due to too many API.

Then it just set itself. I ended up on 14 but it sometimes will go to 13 for some reason for a week.

ETA: The API shows up on the Dreammapper App that you can download through the app store and link via Blue Tooth from your phone.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#2]
This one is from a few weeks ago since I haven't updated it cause I pretty much have it dialed in. Under 5.0 AHI is considered good.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
"They" don't, but Amazon does.

www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8GE9IR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's lame that they won't just let you buy one. But maybe there's a trick to that.
"They" don't, but Amazon does.

www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8GE9IR
Good info.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This one is from a few weeks ago since I haven't updated it cause I pretty much have it dialed in. Under 5.0 AHI is considered good.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/116126/IMG-8773-211805.JPG
View Quote
My AHI was 6 last night and 4.4 avg for the 2 nights.   MAsk fit wasn't good last night, 62%, 1st night was 95%.  Must have moved around more.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:19:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have (heard of it, buddy at work had it happen), but yeah very few and far between.

J-
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never heard of anyone getting a sleep study and not walking out with a CPAP. Just saying.
I have (heard of it, buddy at work had it happen), but yeah very few and far between.

J-
My wife did a sleep study and they told her she didn't have apnea. She made me get a sleep test. I was at 81+ events per hour, O2 down to 71%. I got my APAP and I'm happy as a clam. The wife's daytime sleepiness is fading because I'm not keeping her awake with all the noises.

Most people who have a sleep test done, are having it done for a reason. That's why they wind up with a CPAP after.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Congratulations on never getting laid again!
View Quote
You don't have to wear it while you're banging.

Also, since I'm not shaking the walls with my snoring, my wife is a lot more frisky lately because she's getting sleep.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've been using mine for months.  I feel no different, but my wife loves that I'm no longer snoring.
View Quote
Two years for me. I feel no different. I am growing to hate that fucking thing.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My AHI was 6 last night and 4.4 avg for the 2 nights.   MAsk fit wasn't good last night, 62%, 1st night was 95%.  Must have moved around more.
View Quote
AHI was 2.9 last night and 99% mask fit.   Slept for 9.2 hours.   Felt less awake today..LOL
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've never heard of anyone getting a sleep study and not walking out with a CPAP. Just saying.
View Quote
people keep posting this, you have to realize that you don't go get a sleep study because everything is hunky dory, between you and your physician you already know somethings not right and he has made the educated "guess" that you suffer osa from your evaluation so he sends you to have a sleep study to confirm what he already suspects. That being said know of at least two people who have had a sleep study and it came back "negative" for apnea.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#10]
What's the "Best" CPAP you can get?

My dad probably needs one but is too stubborn to go to the doctor. Thinking about picking one up for him.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:54:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What's the "Best" CPAP you can get?

My dad probably needs one but is too stubborn to go to the doctor. Thinking about picking one up for him.
View Quote
This one gets good reviews: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed-airsense-10-autoset-humidair.html
You'll probably get a more meaningful answer here, though: www.cpaptalk.com
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:57:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Dreamstation has an autoset mode.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This one gets good reviews: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed-airsense-10-autoset-humidair.html
You'll probably get a more meaningful answer here, though: www.cpaptalk.com
View Quote
Thanks, that's the one I was looking at.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I've always heard if you get use to wearing one your body can be very dependent of it. I I have a friend that swears up and down his dad died because he fell asleep without putting it on one night and his body was so dependent of it.. Also know another family that swears their brother died because he fell asleep one Sunday evening while watching tv without it on.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've always heard if you get use to wearing one your body can be very dependent of it. I I have a friend that swears up and down his dad died because he fell asleep without putting it on one night and his body was so dependent of it.. Also know another family that swears their brother died because he fell asleep one Sunday evening while watching tv without it on.
View Quote
I'm obviously uneducated on the subject, but sounds kind of like "broscience" to me, it's not like the machine is replacing the function of your lungs. I'm sure it would vary on how severe their Apnea was, though.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I snore like crazy but wake up every morning without an alarm ready to go to work and feel fine at 5:00 am

Should I have a sleep study?
View Quote
How's your energy level throughout the day?  If it's good, and you get through your day without a lot of coffee, then you're probably fine.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:40:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn, i would choke myself trying to sleep with that thing attached to me.

Would look like a anaconda wrapped around my neck
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Damn, i would choke myself trying to sleep with that thing attached to me.

Would look like a anaconda wrapped around my neck
View Quote
The mask I use has the hose attach to the top of my head. There's a swivel there so I can roll back and forth without it wrapping up on me. Nothing ever goes near my neck.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 10:27:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Give it a couple weeks, you'll get more used to it and your "sleep debt" will catch up and you'll feel like a million bucks.

Eventually, your body will return to normal and hormones will level out and then you'll be sold for life.

Good choice.
View Quote
I've had a CPAP for five years now and have tried 10+ mask and headgear combos and I can't sleep a full night wearing the damn thing still. 
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:53:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Before you take a CPAP from the doctor or a DME provider, find out how much you'll have to pay in copays for their equipment vs what you'll pay in cash for a machine from the internet. Some DME providers jack up prices super high so your copays end up even higher vs what a machine from Amazon might cost you.

My FIL was told "a CPAP won't help you" and didn't walk out with a CPAP. When he falls asleep on the couch, I have to leave the room because whatever the hell is going on scares the shit out of me, but I don't recognize it as any sort of apnea event.

Kharn
View Quote

That is exactly what my father went thru 50 days ago. Didnt walkout with anything. A week later they sent portable O2 machine for him to use in the mean time.

Scheduled a 2nd study for cpap, also hasnt gotten one of those yet either that was 2 weekends ago.  He has the condition. He came back and said no way in hell is that noisy machine coming home with him. He claimed he didnt get to sleep because the machine was so loud.  An old friend had one from the VA and it was quiet.  Idk
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:21:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Along this line, does anyone use one of the SoClean mask cleaner machines? Worth it or no? I'm very prone to sinus infections and tonsil issues.

J-
View Quote
They "clean" the system by pumping ozone through it. Lots of reports of it destroying the internal seals and components of the CPAP machine. I decided against it. It's really not that hard to clean your machine, and you don't need to do it daily.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:42:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They "clean" the system by pumping ozone through it. Lots of reports of it destroying the internal seals and components of the CPAP machine. I decided against it. It's really not that hard to clean your machine, and you don't need to do it daily.
View Quote
Copy thanks

J-
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Is everyone using the app for the dream station? And what is the consensus about using the humidifier or not?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is everyone using the app for the dream station? And what is the consensus about using the humidifier or not?
View Quote
Air conditioned space and no humidifier is a miserable experience. With the volume of air the machine blows through your mouth and throat, you will be hurting the next day with all that dry air.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

J-
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-
It happens. I had a sleep study done for snoring. Primary snoring-no indication of OSA 
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I like the humidifier. I have almost no phlegm in the morning now. Used to hock up some gnarly stuff.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#27]
OP don't listen to the people that have no clue what the fuck they are talking about. I have sleep apnea. Have for awhile. I am 30. I am overweight, I should be 170-80 and i am 220. So not huge but yes still over weight. I have a "farm boy" type build with big husky neck and shoulders.

Before i started I was having 100 episodes per hour. THATS A FUCK TON! o2 at 70% THAT WILL FUCKING KILL YOU. I could sleep 10 hours and feel like I just woke up, couldnt concentrate at all, couldnt hold relationships, jobs, you fucking name it. We finally got pregnant, somehow, again fucked up by sleep apnea and its effects. That is what made me get tested.

I am down to .2 apneas per hour. 100% every night. And everything I mentioned above has gotten better in every way imaginable, got pregnant again almost instantly, health is way better, dont feel tired all the time anymore, sex is much better, I mean you name it. You are talking to one of the guys that literally would have had a heart attack or worse by the age of 40. My DR's will verify this I am not kidding.

For all the people that nay say - good luck have fun fucking dieing before you should. Honestly most are just too fucking lazy!

The more weight I lose the better and better by apnea gets and in fact I may just not need it eventually if I can get to my goal weight. Again , its not always about weight, but talk to your dr and he will tell you the same thing, BASICALLY ALL OF  of apnea is because of being OVERWEIGHT, SMOKER, PEOPLE THAT EAT A TON OF CARBS AND HAVE INFLAMATORY ISSUES.

If you think you or a loved one is having problems quite being an idiot and do something about it, that is the true definition of a man.

If any of you guys have any questions feel free to tag me or IM ME and I would be glad to help.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
I did it twice...snored like Godzilla and drove my wife crazy ...Study#1  I couldn't go to sleep with all that crap stuck to me.  Tech said I slept but I know it had to be real shallow if I did. No CPAP

Kept on snoring like Godzilla so I went back a year later ..this time doc gave me a script for Ambien..Still didn't get a deep sleep.  No CPAP

dropped a bunch of weight and I don't snore any more
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
OP don't listen to the people that have no clue what the fuck they are talking about. I have sleep apnea. Have for awhile. I am 30. I am overweight, I should be 170-80 and i am 220. So not huge but yes still over weight. I have a "farm boy" type build with big husky neck and shoulders.

Before i started I was having 100 episodes per hour. THATS A FUCK TON! o2 at 70% THAT WILL FUCKING KILL YOU. I could sleep 10 hours and feel like I just woke up, couldnt concentrate at all, couldnt hold relationships, jobs, you fucking name it. We finally got pregnant, somehow, again fucked up by sleep apnea and its effects. That is what made me get tested.

I am down to .2 apneas per hour. 100% every night. And everything I mentioned above has gotten better in every way imaginable, got pregnant again almost instantly, health is way better, dont feel tired all the time anymore, sex is much better, I mean you name it. You are talking to one of the guys that literally would have had a heart attack or worse by the age of 40. My DR's will verify this I am not kidding.

For all the people that nay say - good luck have fun fucking dieing before you should. Honestly most are just too fucking lazy!

The more weight I lose the better and better by apnea gets and in fact I may just not need it eventually if I can get to my goal weight. Again , its not always about weight, but talk to your dr and he will tell you the same thing, BASICALLY ALL OF  of apnea is because of being OVERWEIGHT, SMOKER, PEOPLE THAT EAT A TON OF CARBS AND HAVE INFLAMATORY ISSUES.

If you think you or a loved one is having problems quite being an idiot and do something about it, that is the true definition of a man.

If any of you guys have any questions feel free to tag me or IM ME and I would be glad to help.
View Quote
The bit in red is true. The crap part of that is apneas put stress on your body (because you're suffocating) and cause it to release cortisol. Which causes your body to retain weight (stress-response), want to smoke (if you're a smoker, self-soothing), eat carbs (self-soothing), and causes inflammation (stress response).

It's a vicious circle and hard to break. You can't just say, "I'm going to lose weight to get rid of my OSA," because your body is actively fighting you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Air conditioned space and no humidifier is a miserable experience. With the volume of air the machine blows through your mouth and throat, you will be hurting the next day with all that dry air.

Kharn
View Quote
I get dry mouth with the humidifier full blast.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I use a nose only mask. At first I did open my mouth a lot and could tell. I got used to it pretty quick though and now don't have that problem. Some others I know couldn't get used to it so they had to use the full face masks and that helped them and didnt have any issues.

I have the apap, the resmed a10. It adjusts everything for me but the moisture. I pretty much leave mine at 3 and I don't have any negatives to report on.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The bit in red is true. The crap part of that is apneas put stress on your body (because you're suffocating) and cause it to release cortisol. Which causes your body to retain weight (stress-response), want to smoke (if you're a smoker, self-soothing), eat carbs (self-soothing), and causes inflammation (stress response).

It's a vicious circle and hard to break. You can't just say, "I'm going to lose weight to get rid of my OSA," because your body is actively fighting you.
View Quote
It really is a PITA. I can relate to those who have it. You just have to stick with it guys. You know there is something wrong with you. My only regret is not doing something about it  a lot sooner.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#33]
I wake up every morning as tired as when I went to sleep. Finally took a sleep study. Moderate apnea. Been waiting a month for the RX.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn
Keep your mouth closed.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:44:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Happened to me. But I did lose a good amount of weight before the study. Since then I've lost even more and barely even snore anymore.

Get less fat... Snore less.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The Phillips Dreamstation is a top rated CPAP.  Excellent choice.

There is a hidden menu in the Dreamstation probably intended for only a therapist to access, but you may need it to
change some settings.  I had to call in to find out how to do this.

This is not in the instructions.  To access this hidden menu:

Press and hold both the dial and the triangle ramp button for 5 seconds and it will take you into the clinical menu to
change the settings.
View Quote
I think you mean Philips.  Even then, those are Respironics which Philips acquired in 2007.   I was on the replacement M&A team at Philips because the original team screwed up the integration.  Respironics CPAP machines were made in Carlsbad, in one of the old Calloway buildings that I was told was used as a foundry.  The floor slooped in the cubicle areas just off the lobby.  It was very noticeable.

I do believe that production has been sent overseas now.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Had my homestudy on Monday night. Hope they got what they need because it was one of the worse nights sleep I've had in a long time. Just could not get comfortable with the stuff on.

If not I'm gonna push for a lab study and some Ambien, lol.

J-
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Had my homestudy on Monday night. Hope they got what they need because it was one of the worse nights sleep I've had in a long time. Just could not get comfortable with the stuff on.

If not I'm gonna push for a lab study and some Ambien, lol.

J-
View Quote
Only one night?

My home study was for a week.  They wanted 3 nights min.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Only one night?

My home study was for a week.  They wanted 3 nights min.
View Quote
yep. said they only needed me to wear it for a total of 6 hours. I had it on prob closer to 8 but did not sleep that whole time.

J-
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#40]
I started on a ResMed machine 7 nights ago.   Using the nasal pillow.  Felt good the first 3 nights, the last 4 not as good but still better.  I think I'm breathing through my mouth now.  

Any suggestions?  Try a nose/mouth mask?

Maybe we need a sleep apnea subforum?  
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:19:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I started on a ResMed machine 7 nights ago.   Using the nasal pillow.  Felt good the first 3 nights, the last 4 not as good but still better.  I think I'm breathing through my mouth now.  

View Quote
I was miserable until I switched to the nose only mask. Tried the full face mask for 1-2 months and just couldn't do it. Switched to the nose only mask and within a week I could feel a BIG difference. Resmed machine has been solid and is a good machine. They also make really tiny high efficent ones for traveling, I am looking into getting one of those soon.

I will say if you have a full face mask but want to change KEEP IT. Because eventually you get sick, and when your sick you cant breathe out of your nose which means you wont be able to use your cpap for a  couple days, trust me that SUCKS!
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#42]
I used a CPAP for a couple of months with mixed results.  Definitely a help, but nothing great.  Understand, I self diagnosed and borrowed a unit and had a friend that used a CPAP help me with tips and pointers to get it dialed in.  Maybe the settings were still terrible and that is why it didnt work better, but I think it was at least close.  I definitely felt like I was sleeping after that, but most nights, in my 'sleep' I would take it off.

I did, however, have a monumental change after starting keto/losing weight.  Within a week of starting, my sleep was infinitely better and my snoring was 100% gone....  so says the wife anyway.  

Nothing against CPAPs, but I never dreamed losing the weight would make the dramatic difference that it did, esp compared to using a CPAP.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Keep your mouth closed.

Kharn
View Quote
I'm trying my best.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I went through the same thing for a few weeks, until I tried this mask. That was nine years ago. My long term AI average is about 0.3
The soft pieces (cushion and pillows) and head strap will last for several years if properly cleaned, and can be easily replaced for about 2/3 the cost of a new mask.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
yep. never wanted to be on one but absolutely love it.  saved my life.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can get a chin strap to help keep your mouth shut.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:52:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I'm trying my best.
View Quote
Duct tape works.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I started on a ResMed machine 7 nights ago.   Using the nasal pillow. Felt good the first 3 nights, the last 4 not as good but still better. I think I'm breathing through my mouth now.

Any suggestions? Try a nose/mouth mask?

View Quote
I use this make and have been sleeping soundly.

resmed f10
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Just got a phillips dreamstation off amazon.   Are the default settings good to go, at least for starters?  Can I just turn it on and use it?

I've had a lab sleep study that came back negative, however I have severe snoring and often wake up feeling dazed and unrested.  An ENT stuck a scope down my nose and said she couldn't believe I didn't have apnea based on how narrow my airways are.  

I've had dental appliances, etc., and they don't work.  Short of having surgery, the only solution that seems workable is the CPAP.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#50]
THIS

Quoted:
Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) is no joke guys. I deal with it daily in school. Many, many, many metabolic complications related to untreated OSA. If you are experiencing symptoms like OP, do yourself a favor and go have a sleep study.  
View Quote
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top