Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/18/2017 3:01:11 PM EDT
Wife has been complaining about my snoring fir a long time and I wanted to get a dental device to stop the snoring due to a long vacation coming up and room availability. Primary care wouldn't write script with out sleep study...results severe...60+ episodes per hour. Oxygen level down to 70%.
Went to sleep MD yesterday and walked out with a Phillips Dreamstation.  Really didn't want cpap, but after listening to all the negative health effect, said fuck it.

Feel pretty good today.  Had a late game and only got 6 hours or less of sleep but woke up feeling pretty good.  Hope it keeps getting better.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:06:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Give it a couple weeks, you'll get more used to it and your "sleep debt" will catch up and you'll feel like a million bucks.

Eventually, your body will return to normal and hormones will level out and then you'll be sold for life.

Good choice.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#2]
yep. never wanted to be on one but absolutely love it.  saved my life.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) is no joke guys. I deal with it daily in school. Many, many, many metabolic complications related to untreated OSA. If you are experiencing symptoms like OP, do yourself a favor and go have a sleep study.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The Phillips Dreamstation is a top rated CPAP.  Excellent choice.

There is a hidden menu in the Dreamstation probably intended for only a therapist to access, but you may need it to
change some settings.  I had to call in to find out how to do this.

This is not in the instructions.  To access this hidden menu:

Press and hold both the dial and the triangle ramp button for 5 seconds and it will take you into the clinical menu to
change the settings.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one.  It wasn't the "overnight life changing " event that many folks say happen to them.  Mine was subtle.  I had trouble getting used to the mask and pressure for a week or so, but once I got used to the situation it was all good.  I have noticed if I fall asleep on the couch without it I can feel my airway constrict as I doze off.  I no longer scare the crap out of my wife when I stop breathing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#6]
It will soon become a good friend.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wife has been complaining about my snoring fir a long time and I wanted to get a dental device to stop the snoring due to a long vacation coming up and room availability. Primary care wouldn't write script with out sleep study...results severe...60+ episodes per hour. Oxygen level down to 70%.
Went to sleep MD yesterday and walked out with a Phillips Dreamstation.  Really didn't want cpap, but after listening to all the negative health effect, said fuck it.

Feel pretty good today.  Had a late game and only got 6 hours or less of sleep but woke up feeling pretty good.  Hope it keeps getting better.
View Quote

Your machine has an SD card, right?

There is a free software program called Sleepy Head, I think.

You can remove the SD card from your CPAP machine and stick it into your computer.

The software then tells you how your machine has been running and if it has any leaks, like around the mask.

What I would like to do is get an oxygen saturation meter.  It is the thing they slip on your finger at the doctor's office or ER to see how much oxygen is in your blood.  Via Amazon, I have seen where they have these O2 meters that record.  So I'd like to plug one into my USB port and track how my oxygen levels go while I sleep
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#8]
It took me a long time to get results.
I had tried 4 kinds of masks, til the nasal pillow type.
I run no humidifier

I love that dang thing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I snore like crazy but wake up every morning without an alarm ready to go to work and feel fine at 5:00 am

Should I have a sleep study?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:11:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can remove the SD card from your CPAP machine and stick it into your computer.

The software then tells you how your machine has been running and if it has any leaks, like around the mask.

What I would like to do is get an oxygen saturation meter.  It is the thing they slip on your finger at the doctor's office or ER to see how much oxygen is in your blood.  Via Amazon, I have seen where they have these O2 meters that record.  So I'd like to plug one into my USB port and track how my oxygen levels go while I sleep
View Quote
Looking at this one:

meter
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Are you overweight?

Changing to keto diet, I lost 25 lbs. and no snoring.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Are you overweight?

View Quote
That sometimes doesn't matter.  Very healthy men with bigger necks are also at risk for OSA.  If your collar size is 18 or bigger, you run the same risk as somone 300 pounds or more.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I had sleep apnea really bad years ago when I was smoking 3 packs a day. After I quit smoking, I don't scare the wife anymore because I stopped breathing. It went away.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Usually takes some getting use to. In a month or so you'll be sleeping like a baby.
You'll also feel even better when you make up the sleep deficit caused by the episodes/interruptions.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That sometimes doesn't matter.  Very healthy men with bigger necks are also at risk for OSA.  If your collar size is 18 or bigger, you run the same risk as somone 300 pounds or more.
View Quote
Yeah, I think I snored because of nasal congestion.  Now both passages are pretty consistently clear.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:41:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I've never heard of anyone getting a sleep study and not walking out with a CPAP. Just saying.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#17]
It's lame that they won't just let you buy one. But maybe there's a trick to that.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#18]
got sleep study
got cpap
used a year
I don't feel a lot different.

I have something they called "central apnea".  I guess I just stop breathing (I do this when I'm awake too). The machine's response?

Puff air into my nose to wake me up and make me breathe.  so either way, I'm waking up a lot at night.

the air coming out of my machine is also warm, it somehow heats a bit in the machine (heater in machine is off, triple checked) and the warm air makes it harder to sleep. If the air was cold it'd be better.

I still wear it cause it completely stops the snoring, so wife sleeps better.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been using mine for months.  I feel no different, but my wife loves that I'm no longer snoring.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Download the dream mapper app for your dream station.  I also highly recommend amara view mask
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yeah, I think I snored because of nasal congestion. Now both passages are pretty consistently clear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sometimes doesn't matter. Very healthy men with bigger necks are also at risk for OSA. If your collar size is 18 or bigger, you run the same risk as somone 300 pounds or more.
Yeah, I think I snored because of nasal congestion. Now both passages are pretty consistently clear.
Doc looked down my throat and said to thank one of my parents.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Download the dream mapper app for your dream station. I also highly recommend amara view mask
View Quote
I did download the app. 

I have the ResMed F-10 mask.  Pretty comfortable last night.  woke up once and I must have taken off in my sleep so I put it back on.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:28:00 PM EDT
[#23]
that's disgusting
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's lame that they won't just let you buy one. But maybe there's a trick to that.
View Quote
"They" don't, but Amazon does.

Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:54:20 AM EDT
[#25]
I have my home sleep study on Monday. Docs said based on what I told them and the physical exam it would be a miracle that I DON'T have obstructive sleep apnea so I see a CPAP in my future. I'm so tired of being tired (plus all the other negatives with apnea) that I'm looking forward to it.

Along this line, does anyone use one of the SoClean mask cleaner machines? Worth it or no? I'm very prone to sinus infections and tonsil issues.

J-
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:55:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've never heard of anyone getting a sleep study and not walking out with a CPAP. Just saying.
View Quote
I have (heard of it, buddy at work had it happen), but yeah very few and far between.

J-
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:00:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Are you overweight?

View Quote
Not always an issue. I'm 6ft, 210, BMI under 15. Doctor told me that I could have a BMI of zero and would still have this issue.

J-
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:17:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not always an issue. I'm 6ft, 210, BMI under 15. Doctor told me that I could have a BMI of zero and would still have this issue.

J-
View Quote
I think you mean body fat not BMI.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:23:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Congratulations on never getting laid again!
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:28:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
What does BMI mean to you?

J-
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:33:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

J-
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-
I don't like BMI as it's way too simplified but in common usage BMI (body mass index) is a simple height/weight chart. Is that wrong?

What does it mean to you?

eta As an example I'm 6' 3" and 215 which puts my BMI at 26.9 and "overweight".  But I have a measured 16% body fat.  We must be using way different definitions of BMI.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:35:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

J-
View Quote
Body mass index. 6' 210 is 28.5. Getting close to obese, I think the cutoff is 30.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:38:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I don't like BMI as it's way too simplified but in common usage BMI (body mass index) is a simple height/weight chart. Is that wrong?

What does it mean to you?
View Quote
Book definition.

Body Mass Index (BMI) is a person's weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters. A high BMI can be an indicator of high body fatness. BMI can be used to screen for weight categories that may lead to health problems but it is not diagnostic of the body fatness or health of an individual.

Essentially a way to put a number on "fatness." While I don't agree with some of the designations that come with it, like a BMI over 20 is considered Obese, it is a way to quantify something that is somewhat subjective.

I think that for sleep apenea and whether "fatness" plays into it for one person vs another it is an ample measurement.

J-
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:42:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Body mass index. 6' 210 is 28.5. Getting close to obese, I think the cutoff is 30.
View Quote
Which is another issue with BMI. A lot of times it doesn't take into account other factors when it is done strictly based on height/weight. If you figure it out with various other measurements you can get a more accurate BMI, which is why my BMI is under 15.

J-
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:44:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Neck measurement seems to have a pretty high correlation with risk of apnea. A lot of very fit weighlifters have started to suffer from obstructive apnea with low body fat and high BMI or neck measurements over 18" or so.

It seems like the more mass I put on the worse mine has got. I've never been over 15% BF, usually closer to 12. I also obese though based on BMI.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:50:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Neck measurement seems to have a pretty high correlation with risk of apnea. A lot of very fit weighlifters have started to suffer from obstructive apnea with low body fat and high BMI or neck measurements over 18" or so.

It seems like the more mass I put on the worse mine has got. I've never been over 15% BF, usually closer to 12. I also obese though based on BMI.
View Quote
Yep thats what my doc said about the neck size. I'm a measured 17.75in.

J-
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 2:52:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Which is another issue with BMI. A lot of times it doesn't take into account other factors when it is done strictly based on height/weight. If you figure it out with various other measurements you can get a more accurate BMI, which is why my BMI is under 15.

J-
View Quote
BMI is strictly based on height and weight. I'm thinking you may be confusing body fat % with BMI. BMI has been proven useful when looking at large populations but is not useful when looking at individuals that are athletic.

If you have a BMI of 28.5 but a BF% of 15 then you are doing fine.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#38]
I've been on CPAP over 10 years now.  As others have said, you'll feel better and better over the next few weeks as you get some decent sleep.  

You WILL have evenings where you'll want to chuck it across the room.   YOu'll have good nights and bad nights for a while, until you learn your machine and mask and get accustomed to it all.  But don't give up.  There's some great forums out there for support, keep at it, and it will be really improve your life.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:08:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
My Dreamstation connects to my phone via BlueTooth and shows up in the app.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

"They" don't, but Amazon does.

www.amazon.com/dp/B01M8GE9IR
View Quote
Fuck yeah, same one I bought.

My cousin is a respiratory therapist, showed me how to set those "hidden settings."

I had a sleep study and CPAP years ago and quit using it and sold it. Now that Obama fixed my insurance it's pretty much unusable. I just bought one on Amazon.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
That because the sleep study isn't to confirm that you need one.  It is to get the amount of pressure you need.

Drs already know if you need one before they prescribe a sleep study.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:32:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Before you take a CPAP from the doctor or a DME provider, find out how much you'll have to pay in copays for their equipment vs what you'll pay in cash for a machine from the internet. Some DME providers jack up prices super high so your copays end up even higher vs what a machine from Amazon might cost you.

Quoted:
View Quote
My FIL was told "a CPAP won't help you" and didn't walk out with a CPAP. When he falls asleep on the couch, I have to leave the room because whatever the hell is going on scares the shit out of me, but I don't recognize it as any sort of apnea event.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That because the sleep study isn't to confirm that you need one.  It is to get the amount of pressure you need.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once you are on a CPAP, is there ever a point where you can stop using it, or is it one of those "maintenance" things you'll be on for life?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Once you are on a CPAP, is there ever a point where you can stop using it, or is it one of those "maintenance" things you'll be on for life?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends, some people can lose 50lbs and stop using it, other people can be stuck on it for life even if they weigh 100lbs.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Does a person NEED a prescription to buy a CPAP? Yeah yeah, I'm sure it's better to go that route, but is it NEEDED?
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#46]
You should have gotten a manual that tells you how to access the data in your machine without using the mempry card. AI and AHI are the numbers you're imostly interested in.

Go here: www.cpaptalk.com. It's ArfCom-level proactive about OSA. Sign up, join in the discussions, and you'll find out all the stuff the docs and distributors don't want you to know. The hosting company is an excellent place to get supplies.

Here's another forum: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum. I haven't joined it, so I cant tell you what you'll encounter there.

ETA: I went through several masks before I found one that was comfortable. I've been using this one for almost 10 years. I'll periodically replace the flexible parts and the head strap, but the hard plastic frame is original.

Beware of those DMEs that offer to sent you supples automatically. You're liable to wind up with a room full of stuff you'll never use.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:45:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It depends on the body type.

If the apena. Is caused by body fat then yes you could stop.   If it is caused by body structure then you probably need it for life.

My neck was 17" even when I weighed 160.  I'll be on it for life.   But then I have no problems using it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Does a person NEED a prescription to buy a CPAP? Yeah yeah, I'm sure it's better to go that route, but is it NEEDED?
View Quote
No.  But if you don't get the pressure correct it won't be as effective.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:49:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Go for it.

People have accepted snoring for too long, but snoring is NOT ok and basically a sign of you struggling to breathe.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:52:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
No.  But if you don't get the pressure correct it won't be as effective.
View Quote
Many modern machines have a "auto-sense" mode that adjusts the pressure for minimum events. Example: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed-airsense-10-autoset-humidair.html.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top