BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 89
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone seeing what is going on with the block chain? Some angry people out their in Internet land.
View Quote
Please explain what this means.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Please explain what this means.
View Quote
In simple terms many people's bitcoins are disappearing for extended periods of time in transfer. Like if I was your banker and did a wire for you, withdrew the funds, sent them out, they never arrived at the destination,  and couldn't tell you where they are at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

In simple terms many people's bitcoins are disappearing for extended periods of time in transfer. Like if I was your banker and did a wire for you, withdrew the funds, sent them out, they never arrived at the destination,  and couldn't tell you where they are at the moment.
View Quote
I thought the allure of the block chain was that shit like this couldn't happen?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I thought the allure of the block chain was that shit like this couldn't happen?
View Quote
Well yeah that's not the case at the moment. Some people have some crazy stories about missing transactions, adding higher fees to move it along, etc etc.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well yeah that's not the case at the moment. Some people have some crazy stories about missing transactions, adding higher fees to love it along, etc etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well yeah that's not the case at the moment. Some people have some crazy stories about missing transactions, adding higher fees to love it along, etc etc.
Lots of people trying to make transfers means the fees go up to go to the head of the line. I bet a lot of people are speculating right now and others are cashing out.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well yeah that's not the case at the moment. Some people have some crazy stories about missing transactions, adding higher fees to move it along, etc etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The transactions aren't "missing", people are starting to have to pay for them.  Miners have always been free to reject transactions or accept only higher fee transactions.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Well if they are stuck in blockchain for days on end I would consider them missing myself. I have no bitcoins at the moment Im just watching some of the action on the side lines right now. I know how it works, Ive played around with these electric currencies for years now and still think its a bad idea for a long term investment for me personally.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well if they are stuck in blockchain for days on end I would consider them missing myself. I have no bitcoins at the moment Im just watching some of the action on the side lines right now. I know how it works, Ive played around with these electric currencies for years now and still think its a bad idea for a long term investment for me personally.
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

lol
View Quote
You laugh but imagine trying to explain this to someone who has no understanding of coins and how they work. You think the new guy is going to understand you need to pay a much higher fee just to get a transaction moved?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You laugh but imagine trying to explain this to someone who has no understanding of coins and how they work. You think the new guy is going to understand you need to pay a much higher fee just to get a transaction moved?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol
It costs money to move money in the real world.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Duh, there always was a transaction fee. Its adjustable now so it seems.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Duh, there always was a transaction fee. Its adjustable now so it seems.
View Quote
It's always been adjustable.

It was designed this way -- the block reward goes away in a few years, and the only reward is transaction fees.  Once that happens, no transactions will be processed without them.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I rolled my Bitcoins into ETH at $100. Making bank!
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Haven't you heard?  ETH's a "shitcoin".  

/derrrrrrrrrppppp!!!1111!!!one!!11!

P.S.  Good move.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#15]
and here's the selloff.

BTC down $250
ETH down $40
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
and here's the selloff.

BTC down $250
ETH down $40
View Quote
Aaaaaaand...it's back!  Hodl life is best life.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

P.S.  Good move.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

P.S.  Good move.
Just wait until it gets hacked again.  

It's nowhere *near* mature enough to have been picked up by coinbase.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Do any of these sites make it easy to open an account?

FFS.

I'd actually settle for "not impossible" in lieu of "easy".
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Do any of these sites make it easy to open an account?

FFS.

I'd actually settle for "not impossible" in lieu of "easy".
View Quote
Unless you are going to trade in crypto that you already have, you basically need to give them access to a back account.  So there is understandably a lot of effort put towards confirming your identity.

You can buy crypto locally face to face though. https://localbitcoins.com/
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I have seen where some people own several hundred of these things. Why not cash out ASAP? I remember all the bubbles the last 40 years......
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Sold off a little to take some profit. I put $400 in a combination of BTC and ETH in March. I've now pulled $600 back out and still have $600 worth in that I'll let ride since they are effectively 'free'.

Small money I know, but I'm pretty risk adverse.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have seen where some people own several hundred of these things. Why not cash out ASAP? I remember all the bubbles the last 40 years......
View Quote
Because people want to be rich.  If BTC gets wider acceptance the value is likely to continue increasing for years to come.

On the other hand, that's a high risk play that could well lead to $0.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Please enlighten me about the cryptocurrency bubbles from 1976-2009.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Unless you are going to trade in crypto that you already have, you basically need to give them access to a back account.  So there is understandably a lot of effort put towards confirming your identity.

View Quote
I understand but I guess I just wasn't expecting a week wait to confirm that I am who I say I am.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I understand but I guess I just wasn't expecting a week wait to confirm that I am who I say I am.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to bureaucracy, courtesy of the United States federal government.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I added a bank account when I signed up at Coinbase.  Gave them routing and account number to an account with very little money in it.  Seems like I got approved almost instantly, but when I went to actually buy some it looks as though it's going to take a whole week to complete the purchase.  Purchased on May 19, email says my ETH will be in my wallet on May 26.  The confirmation email I got makes it seem as though I'm locked in at my purchase price of $117, so that's good.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#28]
The only difference between government paper money and cryptocurrencies is who print them out. The only things to making anything worth any value is faith. Faith that it is worth something.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I remember all the pyramid schemes in the 80's . Greater Fool Theory in action. As long as the greater fools keep steadily coming along to support the bottom rungs the ones at the top would be insane to sell everything off now. Nothing wrong with some profit taking to lock in gains though. Maybe do some reverse dollar cost averaging and convert 5% a month into metals or dividend paying blue chips. If I got in early I would just leave my initial investment on the table with some trailing stop orders for protection and see how far this goes up.. The Chinese and Japanese investors are buying these up like hotcakes and running up the value with no signs of slowing down anytime soon so let them be the bag holders.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The only difference between government paper money and cryptocurrencies is who print them out. The only things to making anything worth any value is faith. Faith that it is worth something.
View Quote
Nonsense.

USD is inflationary; Bitcoin is deflationary.

USD has things like quantitative easing; Bitcoin is purely free market.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#31]
If a guy wanted to jump in and throw some small money in each of  these various cryptos with the goal of letting it sit for a decade or more, what would they need?

I'm considering Coinbase, and maybe polo to lend it out.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:49:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If a guy wanted to jump in and throw some small money in each of  these various cryptos with the goal of letting it sit for a decade or more, what would they need?

I'm considering Coinbase, and maybe polo to lend it out.
View Quote
Good luck with coinbase.   I dollar cost average with an ACH transaction every week.  Lately they've been a few days behind.  

Not trying to discourage you, but expect to wait longer than they claim.  

Poloniex is the bread a butter of my crypto trading right now.  I have some btc in cryptopia and bitshares, but poloniex is the best right now.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Good luck with coinbase.   I dollar cost average with an ACA transaction every week.  Lately they've been a few days behind.  

Not trying to discourage you, but expect to wait longer than they claim.  

Poloniex is the bread a butter of my crypto trading right now.  I have some btc in cryptopia and bitshares, but poloniex is the best right now.  
View Quote
@GrasshopperNOmore did you get my im?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Centralized exchanges are risky.  Poloniex is THE target now.  A flaw will be found.  Get your crypto out now.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Centralized exchanges are risky.  Poloniex is THE target now.  A flaw will be found.  Get your crypto out now.
View Quote
Into what?

If someone just wanted to own the currency as a small speculation, do you buy it and then somehow transfer it out? Then down the road can transfer it back in/sell it?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:02:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

@GrasshopperNOmore did you get my im?
View Quote
Just saw it.  Sorry. Im still not used to IMs on the new site.   Responding now.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Into what?

If someone just wanted to own the currency as a small speculation, do you buy it and then somehow transfer it out? Then down the road can transfer it back in/sell it?
View Quote
You can install a Bitcoin wallet on your computer or smartphone.  But keep backups.

For small amounts of Bitcoin, that's the simplest most straightforward way.  Go to a Bitcoin ATM, let the machine read the destination address for the transaction off your smartphone, then start pushing in $20s.  Done.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
They keep 80% of their crypto in cold storage.  Not sure if that is still a good defense against an attack.

But I agree that distributed exchanges may be better.  Get on bitshares and move some volume over.  It needs it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:06:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol
That's how moving money works.  I had a client who moved $500m from one bank account, to another and then back in the course of 5 minutes to meet a debt covenant.  He was charged a $500k fee for doing it, fair or not.

If somebody doesn't understand that's how it work, they shouldn't be "investing" in bitcoin.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:07:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Is there a way bit coins can be purchased and placed into basically a "safe deposit box"?

USB drive or something?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lots of people have memories of cashing out during the $30 bubble in 2011.  There are tons of sob stories of people who had thousands of them and sold in the single and double digits which seemed high at the time.

This is atleast Bitcoin's 4th bubble, each time pushing higher than before.  If you didn't already have serious nuts and a high tolerance for risk, you never would have held out this long in the first place.

Put another way, the guys who have millions in Bitcoin today had to sit through being both up and down hundreds of thousands to get here.

If you understand what is going on with cryptocurrency and blockchain technology then you'll understand that this is a high risk high reward gamble and we are a LONG way off from the two potential outcomes for Bitcoin or any other crypto.  Some people understood that when they signed up for this experiment.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Lots of people have memories of cashing out during the $30 bubble in 2011.  There are tons of sob stories of people who had thousands of them and sold in the single and double digits which seemed high at the time.

This is atleast Bitcoin's 4th bubble, each time pushing higher than before.  If you didn't already have serious nuts and a high tolerance for risk, you never would have held out this long in the first place.

Put another way, the guys who have millions in Bitcoin today had to sit through being both up and down hundreds of thousands to get here.

If you understand what is going on with cryptocurrency and blockchain technology then you'll understand that this is a high risk high reward gamble and we are a LONG way off from the two potential outcomes for Bitcoin or any other crypto.  Some people understood that when they signed up for this experiment.  
View Quote
what are the two potential outcomes ?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:21:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Is there a way bit coins can be purchased and placed into basically a "safe deposit box"?

USB drive or something?
View Quote
Absolutely.  You can put them in a wallet on a thumb drive.  You can even print a physical wallet on a piece of paper and put Bitcoin on it and put it in your safe.  

There's even a thing called a "memory wallet" where you send bitcoins to an address that exists only in your mind (as in you memorized it).  

All of the above should tried with tiny amounts of Bitcoin to make sure you grasp getting money in and out of those types of wallets.

Google can handle the rest in terms of the details of those types of wallets.  To get started just stick with a service like Coinbase and go from there.

Do understand that Bitcoin is high risk and high volatility.   If you put significant money into it you will have stomach churning highs and lows to ride out and the potential to go busy.  I wouldn't even mess with it ubless you are willing to hold out for 5+ years come he'll or high water.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

USB drive or something?
View Quote
Yes.   You can make one yourself or I believe there are products you can buy already setup to hold a bunch of different crypto currencies.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
+1  Well said.

I just had a buddy cash out $3M+ in ETH over the past 24 hours.  The money is real and crypto is here to stay.  Either come to terms with it, or be left behind.  It's the circle of life, as with anything.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

USB drive or something?
View Quote
Yes, you can use a USB drive.  You can also use a plain paper wallet.  Check Youtube for instructional videos.

You can even use a brainwallet.  Your private key can be derived from a phrase which you can memorize.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1)  Goes completely bust due to a defect or superior alternative.

2)  Mind blowing valuations due to mass adoption.

There is no middle ground where Bitcoin piddles along at a few hundred or a few thousand bucks per each indefinitely.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
$0 and $100,000+ per coin.

It's deflationary in design. The longer it stays around the more it's worth compared to dollars.

I expect it will come down from it's current price before long, but if it sticks around it's going up, a lot...
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

+1  Well said.

I just had a buddy cash out $3M+ in ETH over the past 24 hours.  The money is real and crypto is here to stay.  Either come to terms with it, or be left behind.  It's the circle of life, as with anything.
View Quote
Stocks are for old money and old people.  Here's to the millionaire-to-be crypto gamble.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Stocks are for old money and old people.  Here's to the millionaire-to-be crypto gamble.
View Quote
Most my money is in stocks. I do have a couple btc, partially as a hedge against dollar issues.
Page / 89
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top