BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:15:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like most of the movie, but the whole Jennifer Jason Leigh storyline is fucking depressing.
View Quote
I was in my late teens when that movie came out. To be honest, I didn't like the Jennifer Jason Leigh message and the outcome then, or now. Now, even less since I have a teenage daughter today.

On one hand the story is true to life in how young men treat sex so casually and how every boy and some girls are in a hurry to lose their virginity. But the act itself was not what she expected. What, you didn't expect to lose your cherry in a baseball field dugout? But it was true to life how some boys bail after getting what they want, how the guy that knocked her up denied it and didn't even want to pitch in towards an abortion. In the end she was demoralized and regretted what she did. Actions have consequences and the movie made that pretty clear.

Anyway, the whole thing was fucking depressing like you said, but mostly true to life. The fast and easy abortion, no exploration of options, etc., that part I didn't like. They make it out as if abortion is the only choice. That's the feminist agenda rearing its ugly head, as usual.

The rest of it was pretty much like I remembered that era, although "Dazed and Confused" is a better representation of my high school years. Mid-late '70's. The only Mid-late 70's period movie I have seen that got the clothing and hair styles 100% spot on. It was like looking at my class of '76 yearbook. I knew guys that looked exactly like Pink and Wooderson.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:25:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I loved that movie and Phoebe will never be forgotten. Thirty five years later and I want to see it again. I'll get with my wife and close my eyes and it will be Phoebe.  Is that cheating?
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 5:50:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I just watched it for the first time.  That's not very American of me.  And I know I'm late to the party by saying this but JJL has(had) a nice rack.  So did Phoebe.  
View Quote

Phoebe was flat but  gave great face
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 6:17:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Might have to rent that movie and watch it (again) tonight w/ the wife.  Not sure if she has seen it...
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 6:49:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Might have to rent that movie and watch it (again) tonight w/ the wife.  Not sure if she has seen it...
View Quote

I gotta admit, I've never seen it.  I think my wife has.  Might be on the schedule this weekend if I find time.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:18:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Going by the '79 Z-28 the Alumni bought Forrest Whitaker the year before, it depicts my sophmore year 1980.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:23:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah, but "Kashmir" is on side 2 of "Physical Graffiti", their 6th album.

How can Hollywood screw that up?

"Fast Times at Ridgemont High" came out in 1982, when virtually everyone under 40 probably knew the name of every Led Zeppelin album and their track listings.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure it was meant to be a joke. Rat was nervous and didn't pay attention or that's all he had for Zep.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:25:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Fart times, Dazed and Confused and Stoned Age should be required viewing.
And to you younger guys here, yes it was pretty much like that back then. Simple times and lots of fun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:30:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"Fast Times at Ridgemont High" came out in 1982, when virtually everyone under 40 probably knew the name of every Led Zeppelin album and their track listings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm guessing they shot the scene then couldn't get approval for anything off of IV, but got it for Physical Graffiti, and didn't bother to go back and re-shoot it?

eta: Or what Inspector2211 said.

Rolling Stone agrees with him:
Right before Ratner's first date with Stacey (the young Jennifer Jason Leigh), Damone gives him a five-point crash course in dating etiquette that ends with the most important advice: "When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on Side One of Led Zeppelin IV." Ratner can't even get that one right – the closest he gets is "Kashmir," from Physical Graffiti. (The sight of Ratner at the wheel, while Robert Plant sings, "I am a traveler of both time and space" – what a comical mismatch.) But that just adds to the agonizing awkwardness of the whole night. Besides, as fans have argued for years, "Kashmir" makes much better makeout music than "The Battle of Evermore."
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:48:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Whatever happens, your toes are tappin'.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:52:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:53:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Phoebe in her red bikini is a cinema masterpiece, about the best minute of film history.
View Quote
Ain't that the truth...

My lawn mowing shoes are black and white checkered slip on Vans.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#13]
mmm Phoebe
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 7:58:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure it was meant to be a joke. Rat was nervous and didn't pay attention or that's all he had for Zep.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Taking out a chick back then without a copy of Led Zeppelin IV in the glove box is unthinkable.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:00:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've always owned a pair of "the" Vans ever since the movie came out.  Still wear a pair.

https://s3.postimg.org/6889083v7/vans.jpg
View Quote
Yup
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:06:19 AM EDT
[#16]
First he's going to s*** then he's going to kill us
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I think I came.  Didn't you feel it?
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#18]

I worked on a lot of VW vans.
Don't get wrecked
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Great movie
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 9:08:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Phoebe in her red bikini is a cinema masterpiece, about the best minute of film history.
View Quote
Truer words have never been posted. That bikini, that smile, that body slowly stepping forward to that song...mesmerizing.

The '80s were wonderful!
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#21]
 Another good ' coming of age in the usa ' movie:

Detroit Rock City
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:27:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Great fucking movie!
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Whenever you're alone with a girl, put on side one of Led Zeppelin IV.
View Quote
And what does he do?  Plays fucking Physical Graffiti.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Saw it in the barracks in Furth, on Betamax I think. At the time, it was the funniest thing any of us ever saw.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 1:57:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
yes. That scene will forever be burned into my mammary, uh, i mean memory.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top