Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2017 12:46:17 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy a pole saw.  It will likely be used rarely and within easy access of a residential outlet.  I may just go bottom dollar and get one at Harbor Freight, but I'd be interested in GD's opinion.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been happy with my Ryobi.   It uses the same Heavy duty/extended use 18V Lithium batteries as the air blower and weedwacker. (and Drill, and Radial Saw, and Light, vacuum, other tools).
 I used it to cut back an entire tree before last years hurricane.  

It's been used a lot and it's still GTG.    I figure I can easily get chains and maybe even an extra pole section, when needed.     Honestly, It's already been just about the most useful gadget in my arsenal.    There is absolutely no reason to go cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:34:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I need one too. Tag for more info.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#3]
if your aim is one specific piece of equipment, then the harbor freight will do, if you decide to get one unit which can do everything, Stihl makes their homeowners 'Kombi' system which has everything you'll ever need for yard work in addition to a pole saw.

ETA accessories
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#4]
remington

After searching last year for the same thing, I wanted something that was affordable with good reviews. And it came down to the Sun Joe and Remington. I want to say the reviews I read on the Remington were slightly better, with people saying they had some Sun Joe's that needed tweaking from the get go.

For 100 bucks or so, I cannot complain, made quick work of the Crepe Myrtle and Magnolia branches in my back yard. And the chainsaw portion can be removed and used as a hand held chain saw. For what I paid, I'm happy with the purchase, I've used it twice and feel as I got my money's worth considering how much it would cost me to call the tree guy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had two different ones now.  First was a green Earthwise that was an awesome cutter with the style of chain it used.  Oil leaked out of the reservoir and got into the motor ruining it in very short order.  Got to use it twice before it died.  Now have a Black and Decker that is both a regular and a pole saw combo.  Works good with zero issues but is not very heavy duty if that is what you need.  Both were the corded versions as I have never had any luck with rechargeable power tools.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one of the Harbor Freight ones and it does an excellent job. I've cut some sizeable limbs off some of my trees with it and it never skipped a beat.

Like all of them it's a little heavy and unwieldy, but hey, you'll build up your pecks using it. If you're like me you won't be using it a lot, so it's silly to spend a ton of money on something like this. I got mine on sale and it was money well spent, since the last time I needed some limbs pruned I hired a guy and spent $400 on one tree.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#8]
The Hazard Fraught (Harbor Freight) version gets good reviews and uses an Oregon bar and chain.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the HF one it is gtg. Especially for $60 
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#10]
The kobalt saw is on sale for $149 right now at lowes and they a currently running the extra free battery promotion.

I own one for clearing up shooting lanes and stuff for tree stands.

It is an excellent saw.... and the batteries last a long time and will cut some pretty significant limbs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top