Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I think we're in a downcgcle right now. Last year was better, thanks to the musical stylings of Bieber and Selena Gomez, of all things. Say what you will, but "Too late now to say sorry", etc are pretty melodic. Current top stuff is weak except for Ed Sheeren. Selena Gomez has one that I liked better before I found out it was her singing it.

Wait 6 months until The Chainsmokers go back under the rock they came from and some fresh stuff comes out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
imagine what people in their 40's back in the 80's thought of Poison,White Snake etc...   It's all relative
View Quote
I'm constantly unimpressed by what teens are listening too.  However, even at 52 I find some of it tolerable.  I've about decided that whatever is on the radio, etc when a child is developing is what they tend to think is good.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Rap isn't music. ... I hope someday the black community rediscover their talented musical past...
View Quote
Amen to that.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Today's music is discusting.

I am 58, music that I grew up with and still listen to today:

Marshal Tucker
Allman Brothers
Fleetwood Mac
Pink Floyd
Led Zephlin
Doobies
The Band

Could go on

Watch an Eric Clapton video and then watch a Bieber.  You will throw up.

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You're old* and it's crap.  I clicked on all those "hits" you linked and couldn't make it through more than a few seconds of each.
It's not that I hate rap or anything.  I liked "Straight Outta Compton" and some Public Enemy stuff.  But that current stuff is awful.
Here's a good song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcMh6GZoFC8
*I'm your age
View Quote
44 here.  that video reminded me of one thing... I misss women looking/acting feminine.
Thanks for posting
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:24:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm 28, and I agree that most of the top 10 stuff is pretty terrible right now.  Particularly anything with rap in it.  The pop/edm stuff can at least be a little catchy and fun to listen to a few times.  The rap has little redeeming value of any kind IMO.  There is still some good new music coming out though.  You just won't find it in 'top ten' lists and such.  You gotta look through the more obscure stuff, and try listening to European rock/metal groups to see if you like any of them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
There's no comparison between the peak of western civilization music ( 18 piece big band, where each member has over 10K hours of individual practice time)
and a stoned, low-IQ wannabe rapper mumbling into an expensive microphone feeding into autotune.  

Even the work that went into a BOSTON song is epic compared to most pop garbage today. My opinion is based on being a music teacher, not nostalgia

Barn Burner Big Band Jazz
View Quote
That's good stuff thanks! ^
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Marshal Tucker
Allman Brothers
Fleetwood Mac
Pink Floyd
Led Zephlin
Doobies
The Band

Could go on

View Quote
Old Hippie - Bellamy Brothers

Everybody claims to hate The Bieber but everybody listens, THEN complains. The little dude can sing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#9]
My 36 yr. old asked about my 70s and mid 80s albums in deep storage last week , maybe 400 or so...im 64 in july

Go for it he was told...his 30 year old gf said she had no idea of how cool I was ..ha...they told me that all they hear now just plain sucks

Sent him home with 300 lbs. of great rock and they are going thru it...

I would rather listen to total silence than todays crap...back in 68 I was 15 and bought a album a week at $6 average...thought I was gonna have to toss them
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGwWNGJdvx8
View Quote
I know right?  This total crap gets 900M views, while legitimately good new stuff coming out gets nowhere near the recognition.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm 37 and like Hermans Hermits and the Seekers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I know right?  This total crap gets 900M views, while legitimately good new stuff coming out gets nowhere near the recognition.
View Quote
You're doing it wrong. Watch the first part of this and imagine being able to disappoint those first 3 girls. Damn, they can move...

ED SHEERAN - Shape Of You | Kyle Hanagami Choreography
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh there's definitely good music out there, I agree. I just cant believe the rubbish that is actually charting. What young people are listening to and requesting... it defies explanation.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am going on 47, so I'm an 80's kid. My parents liked my music back then. Not the hard rock stuff, but the pop music. Are there any parents that like their kids' music today?

Just for fun last night my wife and I listened to the top 10, and it did not go well at all. Most of the music isn't music at all, it's wretched rap crap. But even the music that's isn't entirely rap 'features' rappers, which have apparently replaced the venerable guitar solo of my day. And the names of some of these rappers are fucking retarded.

Here is your top ten. Enjoy!

1. Kendrick Lamar - Humble
2. Ed Sheerhan - Shape of You
3. Bruno Mars - That's What I Like
4. Kendrick Lamar - DNA
5. Future - Mask Off
6. KYLE featuring Lil' Yachty - iSpy (Music is terrible, but this video LOL)
7. Zedd & Alessia Cara - Stay
8. The Chainsmokers and Coldplay - Something Just Like This
9. Luis Fonzi & Daddy Yankee featuring Justin Bieber - Despacito
10. Lil' Uzi Vert - XO TOUR Lif3 (No typos there)

Am I getting old, or is this all just really bad?
View Quote

Jesus, fuck that's bad! It seems the goal of ratings is to be the most eclectic and not the best. There is a lot of faggotry in that list. Can't have too much electric guitar anymore, but voice sythesizers and auto tune are okay. Can't have good drums anymore but electronic beats are okay, and not so much the cool ones like Run DMC and all 99's rappers used, but some weak ass shit. Fuck Kendrick Lamar.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You're doing it wrong. Watch the first part of this and imagine being able to disappoint those first 3 girls. Damn, they can move...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl5B6MBAntI
View Quote
love their videos

also a good song

haters
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:41:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I was in my teens/twenties in the 80's and thought Pison, Whitesnake, Motley, Ratt, etc. sucked

OP there is good music (as stated earlier) you just need to look for it.

This was a group (mellow stuff) that I discovered recently re-watching  "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq-G3EWO9XM

Which led me down the rabbit hole to this (kinda Grungy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uI9ucHpxgY

Never heard of either of them

But yeah, the crap that is 'Pop' these days is downright garbage for the most part
View Quote
That last video is what I think the musicians who don't play it call "Stoner Rock".
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A lot of it isn't very good, no, but artists are also catering to the masses as well.  The masses are probably just as much to blame for shit music as the artists are, if not more so.
View Quote
It's the same with Hollywood.  Ultimately they just do what makes them the most money.  If the sub 100 IQ masses want mindless drivel, that's what will be overwhelmingly provided by the industry.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#19]
There is some good music out there today.  It is just harder to find than it was between the years of 1965 and 1995.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There is awesome music in lots of genre being produced right now.

It's not on the radio.
View Quote
This.

I hated most of the music from the 70's (high school and college years).
Loved punk and new wave in the 80's.
Hated alternative/hip-hop/grunge of the 90's.
Loved post-modern hard rock after 2000.

But even decades ago, the best music was not found on lowest-common-denominator radio.

Pop music and Top Ten is for the uneducated masses.

There are lots of ways to find truly great music and great artists. Go explore them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am going on 47, so I'm an 80's kid. My parents liked my music back then. Not the hard rock stuff, but the pop music. Are there any parents that like their kids' music today?

Just for fun last night my wife and I listened to the top 10, and it did not go well at all. Most of the music isn't music at all, it's wretched rap crap. But even the music that's isn't entirely rap 'features' rappers, which have apparently replaced the venerable guitar solo of my day. And the names of some of these rappers are fucking retarded.

4. Kendrick Lamar - DNA
5. Future - Mask Off

View Quote

Everything by every "artist" in that list is fucking garbage that doesn't deserve so much as being wiped on my ass. 

Yes, mainstream "pop", rap, and whatever the fuck you call people like The Chainsmokers and Ed Sheerhan is shit.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Same thing happened to country. Good music ended about the turn of the century.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I was in my teens/twenties in the 80's and thought Pison, Whitesnake, Motley, Ratt, etc. sucked

OP there is good music (as stated earlier) you just need to look for it.

This was a group (mellow stuff) that I discovered recently re-watching  "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq-G3EWO9XM

Which led me down the rabbit hole to this (kinda Grungy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uI9ucHpxgY

Never heard of either of them

But yeah, the crap that is 'Pop' these days is downright garbage for the most part
View Quote
 I have posted Wolf Alice videos here quite a few times,Lisbon is my favorite song of theirs. You may or may not want to try a bunch of other current artists like

Biffy Clyro

Biffy Clyro - Booooom, Blast and Ruin (Official Music Video)

Kitten - there is a para FAL in this video

Kitten - G# [Official Video]

The Joy Formidable
The Joy Formidable - This Ladder Is Ours [Official Music Video]

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs

It's more electro-pop than rock but really love this album and they were amazing live in a club

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:55:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm 24. If you were to break into my truck, you'd find a lot of
CDs in the console. Rush, Zeppelin, Yes, Deff Leppard, Eagles, Tom Petty, Metallica, Journey, Bob Seger, Lynrd Skynrd, DIO, CCR....
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
imagine what people in their 40's back in the 80's thought of Poison,White Snake etc...   It's all relative
View Quote
Most that I know thought it rocked.
A little "bubble-gummy" as far as looks go.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#26]
No, you're not wrong, (for the most part.)
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm 24. If you were to break into my truck, you'd find a lot of
CDs in the console. Rush, Zeppelin, Yes, Deff Leppard, Eagles, Tom Petty, Metallica, Journey, Bob Seger, Lynrd Skynrd, DIO, CCR....
View Quote
Yep. I usually listen to metal, but about 35% of what I listen to is the above. Occaisionally, I'll listen to some of the charting stuff if it catches my ear, but that's rare. I'm glad I have apple music and can listen to whatever I want, when I want.

My brother listens to all this random rap shit and I'm like
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You're not just old. The new stuff really is crap. Less and less emphasis on musician, more on "entertainer."
View Quote
Nails it right there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm 44 and I can't stand most of the shit that is passed off as "music" these days.  Then again, I never was into much of the popular music scene, even when I DJed from 1993 to 2001.  Sure I had the popular music to play at gigs, but I sure as hell couldn't stand it back then either.

Personally, I'm more into Electronic, Alternative, Classic Rock, Metal, Classical, and Jazz.  In other words, I'm an odd duck when it comes to music.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm 31, I think I've heard of two of those "bands", and I'd certainly never listen to any of those voluntary.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You're not just old. The new stuff really is crap. Less and less emphasis on musician, more on "entertainer."
View Quote
Pretty much, we can probably drop the blame for that on the "King of Pop." There's a lot of good music out there, but it's not the popular stuff on the radio.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl5B6MBAntI" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl5B6MBAntI
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl5B6MBAntI" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl5B6MBAntI
Wash Emma and Idaliz and bring them to me.

It is a catchy tune; I kinda' like it more now but maybe it's just watching the girls, the way Chet Faker's hypnotize me.

Chet Faker - Gold (Official Music Video)
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
There is some good music out there today.  It is just harder to find than it was between the years of 1965 and 1995.
View Quote
Maybe the stuff on the radio is worse, but with the Internet, good music should be easier to find than ever before. 
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have posted Wolf Alice videos here quite a few times,Lisbon is my favorite song of theirs. You may or may not want to try a bunch of other current artists like

Biffy Clyro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwrVA4nRBv4

Kitten - there is a para FAL in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y8dk24OPwk

The Joy Formidable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_t4s-HX3z0

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGKefxnyT6E

It's more electro-pop than rock but really love this album and they were amazing live in a club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKakNhz2ToA
View Quote
Great music, thanks for posting.

Was introduced to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs from watching "Rescue Me" on TV. The show's music director discovered incredible music and gave those bands their first exposure on that show.

An easy, but not free, way to find music you like is to subscribe to Amazon Prime and then download the Amazon Music app. They have billions of tracking points of "people who buy X also buy Y" and use that data to create channels.

For example, I'm a big Halestorm fan (saw them live/met the band three times in the past year) so I subscribed to the Halestorm Channel. It had some artists I already liked, but it introduced me to a bunch more who I've never heard before. Then I started downloading shitloads of MP3 files.

Being eclectic, I also like 19th century British Isles folk music/sea shanties/murder ballads, etc. Amazon music helped me find a ton of elusive music going back to the 18th century -- stuff that George and Martha Washington rocked out on.

Now that I have a Bluetooth stereo in the truck, I just put those songs into a playlist instead of buying the MP3 files, and then stream it from my cell phone to my truck's stereo.

I'm finding more music than I have time to listen.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#35]
pop music is, always has been and always will be fucking garbage.

lots of new music in this thread.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1954107_Anyone-listen-to-Stoner-Rock-.html
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:24:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Whiney women, WTF ever is rap and pretty boy country is what we are stuck with here. First of the year the only 60s, 70s, 80s oldies FM station changed formats. Yeah, I'm old. Oldies rock n roll and pre-80s country would be nice. 
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#37]
No it started with Elvis.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:30:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Oh there's definitely good music out there, I agree. I just cant believe the rubbish that is actually charting. What young people are listening to and requesting... it defies explanation.
View Quote
Not really, if you look at it in the same way as recent politics.

These so called 'artists' are hand selected by those in power, to make those in power butt-loads of money.

We just need a 'Trump' to shake up the music industry now
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted again for emphasis.

Any music style you "used to like" when younger can be found replicated by new artists on youtube.

For example: is it 1975, 1995, or 2008?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01VjnTfpOC8

Like John Hughes movies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5cgzcjqOtE

How about Missing Persons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciJDA0tcQfs
View Quote
As a long time musician I can say with a little experience that everyone of these suck so bad they would have never even gotten a consideration back in the 70's or 80's I have heard bar bands sound much better.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#40]
I am older and can always find some good music even current artist.
So much of what I hear today is just shit.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:47:10 PM EDT
[#41]
It's all fucking terrible.  I can't even listen to the country music stations anymore.

I was stuck with a rental car that only had a radio, and I found myself listing to the Mexican Mariachi music, because it was the only thing that resembled music.   I don't even speak Spanish.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#42]
If I had kids they'd be your age.
That said all top anything from any time frame was and is dance club drivel aimed at 14 year old girls.
After a night of ultra violence only the GLORIOUS 9th can soothe.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#43]

I got some strange looks yesterday afternoon after dropping my daughter off at work, as I was driving home blasting this out of the open windows.

*I'm 46 going on 75, if you look at the x-rays of my knees..*
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#44]
I couldn't agree more. Most overrated boy band of all time. It was the start of people being fans of the image not the music.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#45]
There was truly bad music being made back in the 60's, 70's and 80's, this is nothing new.  The difference is the amount and quality of what passes for songwriting and musicianship today.  There isn't anything being passed off as "pop" music consumed by today's children that is even remotely "good".

Good, quality music is still being made by those who care.  It's still not "popular".  That changed 40+ years ago.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

4. Kendrick Lamar - DNA
5. Future - Mask Off

View Quote

If you actually pay attention to "HawkSlayer48's Rules of Life"; you'll be okay.
Take my "Rule of Life #6", for instance.

"Any song or artist is going to be a fucking shitshow that has the word "featuring" in it.  The word 'featuring' should
be fucking banned from song titles or descriptions
."
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Marshal Tucker
Allman Brothers
Fleetwood Mac
Pink Floyd
Led Zephlin
Doobies
The Band

Could go on

View Quote
Wolfmother, the Black Angels, Black Stone Cherry, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, and Them Crooked Vultures would be right up your alley.

Airbourne if you are an AC/DC fan.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm 36 and I think most music coming out now sucks. The only new music I seem to like is music being put out by bands that have been around for at least 5 years. I'm going to see Tool in 20-something days so at least great music is still to be heard.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:58:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've come to the conclusion that most music sucks, regardless of time period.
View Quote
There's a lot of truth to this.

Some of you old farts ought to Google the top ten from whatever year it was that you think music was so great.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There is awesome music in lots of genre being produced right now.

It's not on the radio.
View Quote
I never listen to the radio.
I have never understood why people are eager to allow a corporate hireling to select their music, or why they are disappointed when the hireling's selections suck.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top