Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2017 9:27:04 AM EDT
How do these 2 compare to each other? Claim is the KA52 is the number 1 attack helicopter. Is it even in production?
I like watching top 10 videos. Lots of cool stuff to see. Anyone know about this one?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:30:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Who made that claim?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who made that claim?
View Quote
I did, but I was drunk and talking out of my ass
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#3]
airwolf/tiger blood fuel additive will make any helo best helo
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:47:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How do these 2 compare to each other? Claim is the KA52os the number 1 attach helicopter. Is it even in production?
I like watching top 10 videos. Lots of cool stuff to see. Anyone know about this one?
View Quote

So they just kind of cling to their targets?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:55:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never seen a "Top 10" video (in any subject) that wasn't complete bias garbage.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:59:30 AM EDT
[#7]
right click, save as.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
right click, save as.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
right click, save as.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:43:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys. Can always get a good laugh out of this place.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Who made that claim?
View Quote
https://sputniknews.com/
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#11]
is thread needs pics

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#12]
The KA52 is a very very good helicopter. It would give the Apache a run for the money although I am not sure its better.

The KA52 is in production but less utilized than the MI28 havok. the KA is found mostly attached to special forces units.  The Havoc is in widespread service.

The KA has been deployed in Syria and Chechnya. It supposedly very fast, very survivable, and very maneuverable. It has ejection seats. It also sports some very modern sensors and radar. No tail rotor eliminates a problem area on most helicopters.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#13]
How does the ejection system work, pop the rotors then the seats?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How does the ejection system work, pop the rotors then the seats?
View Quote
I believe the blades all release just before the ejection occurs.

This thing has the cockpit of the old OV-10 Mohawk
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How do these 2 compare to each other? Claim is the KA52 is the number 1 attack helicopter. Is it even in production?
View Quote

Found this:

It compares very favorably.  The AH-64 has an advanced targeting and weapons suite, far moreso than the Ka-50, which instead focuses on reusability, inexpensiveness, and single-pilot operations.

The AH-64D is especially more lethal, as it sports an AN/APG-78 Longbow fire control radar.  Wikipedia does an excellent job of summarizing its effectiveness:

The raised position of the radome enables the detection of targets and launching of missiles while the helicopter is behind obstacles (e.g. terrain, trees or buildings). The AN/APG-78 is capable of simultaneously tracking 128 targets and engaging the 16 most dangerous ones, and can initiate an attack within 30 seconds, while passing data on the other targets to other Longbow Apaches via data link.

The Ka-50 has no onboard radar.  The upcoming AH-64E will have Link 16 support (advanced datalink capability), whereas the datalink on the Ka-50 is primitive and supports basic intraflight target-sharing only.

The AH-64 has an advanced integrated helmet display allowing the pilot to quickly locate and fire on targets.  The Ka-50 supports only a basic helmet-mounted sight that he can use to visually acquire targets and train guns with, without radar or FLIR/thermal imaging overlays.

The AH-64's nose-mounted sensor system includes a FLIR for night-attack targeting; Ka-50 pilots can wear night vision goggles but the onboard optical targeting system (the I-251 "Shkval") does not have infrared capability, limiting the effective range of Ka-50 nighttime attacks.  Meanwhile, an AH-64 can "fire a Hellfire through a window four miles away at night," according to Gen. Steiner.

For self-defense, the Apache Longbow radar can detect and identify incoming missiles, and the Ground Fire Acquisition System (GFAS) can optically detect ground fire directed at the aircraft.  The Ka-50 has only a simple laser warning receiver and two flare dispensers.

The Ka-50 does have a few advantages over the AH-64, though.  It's simplicity means it's cheaper to build (although only 16 were ever built), and it is designed as the only single-pilot attack helicopter.  Still, pilot skill notwithstanding, the AH-64 is the clear winner in the battle of technologies.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#16]
A more direct comparison would be with the Mil-28

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:39:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Wasn't the KA supposed to be an anti helicopter platform
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Consider that Russia's Ka-52 fleet is smaller than the RAF's Apache fleet.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Found this:

It compares very favorably.  The AH-64 has an advanced targeting and weapons suite, far moreso than the Ka-50, which instead focuses on reusability, inexpensiveness, and single-pilot operations.

The AH-64D is especially more lethal, as it sports an AN/APG-78 Longbow fire control radar.  Wikipedia does an excellent job of summarizing its effectiveness:

The raised position of the radome enables the detection of targets and launching of missiles while the helicopter is behind obstacles (e.g. terrain, trees or buildings). The AN/APG-78 is capable of simultaneously tracking 128 targets and engaging the 16 most dangerous ones, and can initiate an attack within 30 seconds, while passing data on the other targets to other Longbow Apaches via data link.

The Ka-50 has no onboard radar.  The upcoming AH-64E will have Link 16 support (advanced datalink capability), whereas the datalink on the Ka-50 is primitive and supports basic intraflight target-sharing only.

The AH-64 has an advanced integrated helmet display allowing the pilot to quickly locate and fire on targets.  The Ka-50 supports only a basic helmet-mounted sight that he can use to visually acquire targets and train guns with, without radar or FLIR/thermal imaging overlays.

The AH-64's nose-mounted sensor system includes a FLIR for night-attack targeting; Ka-50 pilots can wear night vision goggles but the onboard optical targeting system (the I-251 "Shkval") does not have infrared capability, limiting the effective range of Ka-50 nighttime attacks.  Meanwhile, an AH-64 can "fire a Hellfire through a window four miles away at night," according to Gen. Steiner.

For self-defense, the Apache Longbow radar can detect and identify incoming missiles, and the Ground Fire Acquisition System (GFAS) can optically detect ground fire directed at the aircraft.  The Ka-50 has only a simple laser warning receiver and two flare dispensers.

The Ka-50 does have a few advantages over the AH-64, though.  It's simplicity means it's cheaper to build (although only 16 were ever built), and it is designed as the only single-pilot attack helicopter.  Still, pilot skill notwithstanding, the AH-64 is the clear winner in the battle of technologies.
View Quote
You are describing the KA's series a they were when originally tested/fielded. The current production model KA52 has all the bells and whistles. Thales, Raphael, IAI, and Angusta provided Russia with all the modern capabilities they lacked in electronics. Just like the advanced electronic suites found on the T90M and T14  armata tanks, they were sold TDP's for all types of advanced weapons which Russian now produces.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:06:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You are describing the KA's series a they were when originally tested/fielded. The current production model KA52 has all the bells and whistles. Thales, Raphael, IAI, and Angusta provided Russia with all the modern capabilities they lacked in electronics. Just like the advanced electronic suites found on the T90M and T14  armata tanks, they were sold TDP's for all types of advanced weapons which Russian now produces.
View Quote
And describing the 64D, the 64E is insane
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
And describing the 64D, the 64E is insane
View Quote
Dang!  Never seen it on paper before, wow is an understatement.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Dang!  Never seen it on paper before, wow is an understatement.
View Quote
I do work on them EVERYDAY, but what do I know.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/twjz8oc.jpg

Rad.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Found this:

View Quote
The Link 16 thing really seems like an absolutely revolutionary network if it can be kept secure and connected.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:05:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I do work on them EVERYDAY, but what do I know.
View Quote
Thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Sounds like some of the same tech stuff  the fighter planes have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top