Quoted:

Yep. Prayers lifted for all involved...
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:09:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hey guys - sorry as someone mentioned we've been busy. I didn't read all 5 pages, as I wanted to post asap.TL;DR we are ok.

Just got home a little while ago trying to stay away from the storms and then trying to find a way home since the roads are all flooded. I had the family in the car so I had to be extra careful.

So this afternoon the storm warnings were coming through. Once they said tornado threat was serious in canton, rather than be a sitting duck at the store  I grabbed the wife and we drive off to watch from a safe distance. In the metal building, everyone else was gathering at the center, awaiting whatever was to come.

We parked next to I20, across from a car dealership, where we had a good view of the sky to the south for miles. When it looked really ugly, and the storm seemed centered to our east, we drove west a bit, and found another viewing spot. We repeated that for a few hours. At several points, it was raining debris, mostly leaves and other light items, but they were coming from great altitude, way above the tree lines, and in open spaces with no trees.

E lightning show was impressive, and the hail and winds went from total quiet to blowing sideways several times. There were storms in every direction, so we were trying to thread the needle and avoid them most of the evening. I'd much rather be at a vantage point where I can see what's going on and react accordingly than to sit and wait and hope it doesn't go over me.

Anyway, major flooding, and high winds, so many roads were closed, including three of the four to our house. We finally crossed about 2' of water pouring over the fourth street to make it home after dark. All is intact here, but power has been out all evening and may be out a few days I'm told.

In the morning we'll assess damages, and then go see who needs help. I know TRG got hit so we'll stop by his house tomorrow though he insists his road is not passable with downed power lines and large trees blocking access.

I also know some of our local LEOs got hit so we'll see who needs what in the morning. Everyone was safe and had a roof over their heads tonight.

Also, apologies, posting on a cell phone so please forgive grammar, spelling, and whatever else loooks wrong.
View Quote
Glad to hear you guys are okay Ed!

Sounds like it's time to put the HMMWV to work! Might even get you through any road blocks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:52:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Small storms just passed Waco enroute to the greater Van Zandt County area. Don't look real string, but the crews and survivors don't need to be rained on after all they are going through.

We just got a quick soaking in Mesquite, all heading NE.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:08:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Fox News (web) is leading with the Canton tornado story.

All the other MSM sources' headlines are about Trump dissin' the Official Correspondents Circle Jerk.

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:37:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:38:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Sunrise should start in about an hour.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:18:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:52:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Starting to get light now... don't you ever sleep?
View Quote
I was wound up last night and couldn't sleep. Now I have the F1 race to watch.

I'm guessing the store is closed today. I hope you get nothing but good news today.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:57:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Now that it's getting light, any idea if anyone needs help and what do you need?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:01:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Latest that I have read   http://www.easttexasmatters.com/news/local-news/latest-5-dead-56-injured-following-east-texas-tornadoes/702201965

ETMC Tyler patientsCritical condition - 2
Fair condition - 1
Good condition -1
Treated and released - 5ETMC AthensTotal patients - 36
Fair condition - 2
Rest treated and released or transferred to ETMC Tyler.ETMC Cedar Creek Lake
Treated/released - 11Summary
Total number of patients treated from tornadoes - 56Still hospitalized - 6Critical - 2
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:07:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Compilation video of tornado and wreckage
Canton, TX Up Close Violent Wedge Tornado and Aftermath SOT - 4/29/2017
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:12:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Morning y'all. Reaching out to help with anything you may need. Supplies, food, manual labor, anything. Let me know. 

Thanks Ben, Sutton and others for keeping up with this thread
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:20:17 AM EDT
[#17]
We have pals in Lewisville, TX that aren't answering their phones. Is that area okay? They could have just turned their phones off knowing them. Don't have a physical address or anything, though. :/
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:23:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We have pals in Lewisville, TX that aren't answering their phones. Is that area okay? They could have just turned their phones off knowing them. Don't have a physical address or anything, though. :/
View Quote
Lewisville is about an hour and a half west of Canton. I don't think they got much sever weather there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes Lewisville is far away from Canton. Likely unrelated to storms
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:23:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lewisville didn't get any storms last night.  I bet their phones are just dead.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the info, y'all. I was looking at it on a map (Lewisville to Canton) and it didn't look too far . . . just far enough to get me worried. They're either out helping, out hindering, or still sleeping.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:28:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info, y'all. I was looking at it on a map (Lewisville to Canton) and it didn't look too far . . . just far enough to get me worried. They're either out helping, out hindering, or still sleeping.

Thanks again.
View Quote
81 miles west of Canton.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:34:09 AM EDT
[#23]
My family prayed for everyone affected at breakfast today.  I'm in GA but I'll try and help anyone who needs it. Storms like this are absolutely devastating and the loss of life is sudden, violent, and absolutely horrendous. I speak from experience.

RIP, to those who lost their lives.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My family prayed for everyone affected at breakfast today.  I'm in GA but I'll try and help anyone who needs it. Storms like this are absolutely devastating and the loss of life is sudden, violent, and absolutely horrendous. I speak from experience.

RIP, to those who lost their lives.
View Quote
This stuff is moving east and southern Louisiana is catching it right now.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#25]
I just woke up and went outside before work. 
We didn't get any serious damage, just smaller limbs down. Didn't even lose power last night (that unusual in a storm)

if anyone effected needs anything let me know  I'm only working part of the day and can come help. 
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#26]
As stated earlier, I'm 30 min drive away and can help anyone arfcommer if needed. Just let me know.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:17:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As stated earlier, I'm 30 min drive away and can help anyone arfcommer if needed. Just let me know.
View Quote
Next time can you drag one of those rocket motors over and try to blow out a tornado?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:45:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Next time can you drag one of those rocket motors over and try to blow out a tornado?
View Quote
NASA has been experimenting with that very idea.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just haven't figured out how to convince someone to drive up to the base of a tornado in a truck then light a rocket off.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Damn, I looked at the radar last night, realized it was going to miss the east side of Dallas co, then went to dinner and a show. Didn't even know anything happened till after the show.

I have lots of customers in that path. Anyone see any greenhouses or nurseries destroyed?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Damn, I looked at the radar last night, realized it was going to miss the east side of Dallas co, then went to dinner and a show. Didn't even know anything happened till after the show.

I have lots of customers in that path. Anyone see any greenhouses or nurseries destroyed?
View Quote
I haven't seen any but news is slow to filter out from there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing actively working storm related, in Lewisville.  Hasn't been anything either.  I have a reliable source.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Just drove down 69 south of Emory.

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#34]
It was long night. Pretty much total destruction in our search area.

I'm hitting the bed
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#35]
As anyone heard from TRG?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It was long night. Pretty much total destruction in our search area.

I'm hitting the bed
View Quote
Thanks for helping. Can we get an idea of where the search area is? Sleep well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:26:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Go back and read page five. Two members said he is fine but I think the house has damage.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Another of the houses tore up near Emory. Cell phone service isn't the best so it's taking a bit to upload them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
He's good. Some damage but everything's in control.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:07:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Went to canton store this morning to grab all the guns. Still no power in the area as a substation apparently got hit so it may be a while.

Dropped them all off at home and now getting breakfast before we head out to TRG and whoever else may need something. Our place had minimal damage and mostly flooding.

Took a few pics along the way, I'll keep updating here but working off the phone and on the move.
View Quote
Watch out from past experience people tend to be like zombies that can drive after events like this. Let us know what if anything is needed. 
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What they need to design is a bunch of instant up mobile homes, 30 minutes before the tornado gets there, the local firefighters run out of town and set it up in an empty field away from town to act as decoys.  Everyone knows tornados are attracted to mobie homes.

There should probably be a permanent tornado decoy set up outside Moore OK.  Unless Moore is already the decoy for Norman and OKC
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Be careful out there.  If you need anything, we can pick it up @ Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Home Depot, etc.  Just holler.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:09:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I just haven't figured out how to convince someone to drive up to the base of a tornado in a truck then light a rocket off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ask Lil' Kim to do it?

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#46]
It already self detonates, thats a plus.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#47]
OST
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just saw this picture.  Hard to tell, but it might have been a nursery.

https://twitter.com/cbs11jack/status/858719633058275328
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#50]
shit, this looks like a mess. crazy watching it from the couch a few miles away in Dallas. Let me know if ya'll need anything. looks like a shitshow that's only going to get worse.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top