Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#1]
While I have no love of Generation Z, the idea that you need to be your own boss if you don't want to be someone's wage slave is not all that far off.  The problem is most people really prefer the safety of slavery.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#2]
They keep moving the goal posts so damn much these days that I don't even know what passes for "middle class" anymore.

Seems to me "middle class" just amounts to peeps that pay taxes and don't get most of it back like the so-called "working poor"....What ever that is.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:29:44 PM EDT
[#3]
The problem is that whenever you give the government the power to pick winners and losers, the most cunning will subvert the system so that it favors them.  The only solution is limited government.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Those who had invested in the stock market saw much of their wealth wiped out."

That's a bunch of BS. My stock market based Thrift Savings Plan grew a lot, especially after President Trump won the election (and it continues to grow). Previously, it had been sluggish, yet steadily growing for years. Only once about 6 or 8 years ago did I get a big drop (loss) in my TSP. But, a couple of months later I made back all of the loss and then some. My TSP never experienced being "wiped out" as the stupid claim made above. Not even close. Oh, but, I failed to notice who the OP was. That explains it all.
View Quote
Ooooh, you didn't experience as big of financial difficulty as others and so everything is okay.  Ask that same question to all the investors in MF Global.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wow op you have a big brassy pair posting a topic like that here. You wanna know the best part though? Some of these people are so dumb they will defend the very system that is keeping them poor. Throw all the facts in the world at them. Still don't care.
View Quote
I'm beginning to see it too. I honestly thought I'd see better arguments here, higher quality debate.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Generally only the poor, and those who wish to exploit them for votes, give a damn about 'inequality'. 
View Quote
I think most care about it on some level.

My main concern is towards the concentration of power, which caused the 2008 financial crisis. In this was it effects us all.

We were within 3 hours of the entire system collapsing on Sept 18, 2008 before the fed reserves stopped the drawdown. $550 billion an hour was being sucked out of our banking system.

If they had not done that, their estimation is that by 2pm that afternoon, $5.5 trillion would have been drawn out of the money market system of the U.S., would have collapsed the entire economy of the U.S., and within 24 hours the world economy would have collapsed. It would have been the end of our economic system and our political system as we know it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
concern
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
concern
Quoted:
concern
Quoted:
concern
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:44:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:50:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"Those who had invested in the stock market saw much of their wealth wiped out."

That's a bunch of BS. My stock market based Thrift Savings Plan grew a lot, especially after President Trump won the election (and it continues to grow). Previously, it had been sluggish, yet steadily growing for years. Only once about 6 or 8 years ago did I get a big drop (loss) in my TSP. But, a couple of months later I made back all of the loss and then some. My TSP never experienced being "wiped out" as the stupid claim made above. Not even close. Oh, but, I failed to notice who the OP was. That explains it all.
View Quote
Sorry but you're wrong, every single stock based metric lost incredible amounts of value during the 2008 crash.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think most care about it on some level.

My main concern is towards the concentration of power, which caused the 2008 financial crisis. In this was it effects us all.

We were within 3 hours of the entire system collapsing on Sept 18, 2008 before the fed reserves stopped the drawdown. $550 billion an hour was being sucked out of our banking system.

If they had not done that, their estimation is that by 2pm that afternoon, $5.5 trillion would have been drawn out of the money market system of the U.S., would have collapsed the entire economy of the U.S., and within 24 hours the world economy would have collapsed. It would have been the end of our economic system and our political system as we know it.
View Quote
The problem is not that they did something, the problem is the something they did.  What they should have done is only that necessary to prevent a bank run.  They should have passed legislation which set up a special bankruptcy proceeding for certain banks and financial institutions of national importance.  In that procedure the government would guarantee the deposits of larger investors not covered by FDIC, and would have overseen the sale of the bank to ensure that no hostile power or monopolization was taking place.  Then the fuckers who ran the bank into the ground could have jumped from their buildings in disgrace like they did in 1929.  But the government is so captured by these banks that the only people giving them the advice were bankers, and they said the only solution was free money and they get to keep the bank they ran into the ground.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You're dang right he is! I've got to start paying attention as to whom the OP is before I click on a thread. This one sucks royally. This one and "Bag O Dicks" are particularly bad.
View Quote
So tell me... cognitive dissonance, or just an inability to present a coherent position?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The problem is not that they did something, the problem is the something they did.  What they should have done is only that necessary to prevent a bank run.  They should have passed legislation which set up a special bankruptcy proceeding for certain banks and financial institutions of national importance.  In that procedure the government would guarantee the deposits of larger investors not covered by FDIC, and would have overseen the sale of the bank to ensure that no hostile power or monopolization was taking place.  Then the fuckers who ran the bank into the ground could have jumped from their buildings in disgrace like they did in 1929.  But the government is so captured by these banks that the only people giving them the advice were bankers, and they said the only solution was free money and they get to keep the bank they ran into the ground.  
View Quote
Yes sir!

The consolidation of power and wealth gave us the system which bailed out the very people who destroyed the economy and gave nothing to those little guys who lost it all.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:59:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The 1% of wage earners have very little impact on politicians.

It is the other one percent. lol

A good percentage of the money used to pay for political campaigns is  directed by people who aren't even American.

Did you know American congressmen and senators  have to pay a million and up to their party to set on a committee?

Did you know lobbyist chose which politicians they will fund to set on those committees?

Did you know the majority of money spent in U.S. elections come from outside the districts?

Did you know politicians are given insider trading information for cooperation, and that is legal?
View Quote
If US politicians spent half as much time on solutions to problems as they do campaigning to gain and keep political privilege we could be better off.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Equality should be about treating people the same, no about punishing the best so that you can reward the less deserving.  One prevents the other.  
View Quote
As my mother used to tell me, the left doesn't know how to lift anyone up, only how to drag them down.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yes sir!

The consolidation of power and wealth gave us the system which bailed out the very people who destroyed the economy and gave nothing to those little guys who lost it all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes sir!

Now Arfcom..........there is some serious truth to this.

Those who were complicit across the board were protected in the end.............I mean there is no denying that fact.

OP:  I don't know how old you are but I am an old guy and JUST KNOW................THE POWERFUL WILL ALWAYS PROTECT THEMSELVES............just the way it always will be.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sorry but you're wrong, every single stock based metric lost incredible amounts of value during the 2008 crash.
View Quote
We lost a lot. And not only that, but as it rippled through the rest of the economy our renters one after another came to us and said "Hey, look, I'm really sorry, but I (got laid off,business is down, customers are down,my branch is being closed) so I can't pay this right now." And our income dropped far faster than we imagined it could. We survived. We survived by selling stock that was now worth far less than it had been for the previous decade.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I would wager that if all the wealth were confiscated and distributed equally among the people one time and then left alone...
In a short period of time the same people who were poor would be poor again, those in the middle would return to the middle and the rich would reestablish their wealth...
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looks that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this a hit piece against personal accountability?
Looks that way.
Along with white people and capitalism.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I would wager that if all the wealth were confiscated and distributed equally among the people one time and then left alone...
In a short period of time the same people who were poor would be poor again, those in the middle would return to the middle and the rich would reestablish their wealth...
View Quote
I agree.

I deal with high net worth people for a living and have had several clients who have "lost it all" only to rebound within a few years.
I also personally know people who had nothing and have wound up with large amounts of money, only to return to having nothing within a few years.

There are exceptions (like a friend who used a $200,000 inheritance to be retired by 30 by playing the real estate game) but I think you are correct.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#20]
My wife and I used the 2008 crash as an entry into real estate and financial markets at a level we couldn't have considered previously.  Set us up pretty good.  

One man's crisis is another man's opportunity.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#21]
What's killing America is people believing they have a right to equal outcome.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:29:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
While I have no love of Generation Z, the idea that you need to be your own boss if you don't want to be someone's wage slave is not all that far off.  The problem is most people really prefer the safety of slavery.
View Quote
After hearing that minimalist guy on the Adam and Drew podcast I could see millenials not wanting to take on traditional debt, cars, houses, children just to avoid the wage slave lifestyle it takes to maintain them. My brother worked in construction management and he had a boss who because of the nature of construction was always on the move, never bought a house, just rented cheap places, the extra cash he saved through out his career actually earned more in other investments than had he been paying it toward a morgage. I think there is a certain appeal to the wunderlust lifestyle. Interesting to think about at least.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:33:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's true because humans make decisions that effect their lives. But it is also highly effected by culture.
I gave my money to a church a while back for their charitable program. This huge church has a complicated rehab program for poor people. I watched as they took a couple who I had been trying unnsuccessfully to help, these people consistently made stupid decisions. The couple was housed and given what they needed to survive for 6 weeks free of charge. During that time they were required to participate in the churches classes on home making, paying bills, running a checking account, etc etc etc. The couple was then given help to get started, get a job, and a place to live. It worked. The couple still makes some stupid decisions (they wanted to have a celebration party at their new apt and serve expensive steak to show their gratitude, we explained why we would not participate in such a waste of money), but they are indeed making it on their own. It's been about 2 years now. They had been living on the streets for about 12 years.
 If they had been ignored they would still be on corners begging for money. If they had been handed a bunch money they would be homeless again super fast. Since they were in a culture of people who were willing to spend time and money to retrain them, we now have 2 more people going to work everyday, paying rent to a landlord, and spending money in a way that supports the industries of other Americans, everybody wins. There are lots of poor people like them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
America used to be a country where a high school education was all you needed to be able to earn enough to raise a family, and provide for all their basic needs. College used to be something that better off families sent their kids to, to become rich. 
Now, even college graduates are expecting to live a life of poverty. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really do not giaf about how the 1% lives or how much they make.

What matters is how much I make.

Worry about the poor, and why they are poor. Are public schools not preparing people for life? (Can a high school.graduate earn a living, without needing government assistance)

Do we subsidize 1 parent households? Stop doing that.

Focus on eliminating the need for public assistance, if that means the top 1% earn a gazillion dollars a year, who cares?
Most of the gains are going to the top 1%.  That means less to go around the lower/ middle class.
America used to be a country where a high school education was all you needed to be able to earn enough to raise a family, and provide for all their basic needs. College used to be something that better off families sent their kids to, to become rich. 
The economy is doing great though.  The housing market definitely isnt going to crash ever.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:04:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really do not giaf about how the 1% lives or how much they make.

What matters is how much I make.

Worry about the poor, and why they are poor. Are public schools not preparing people for life? (Can a high school.graduate earn a living, without needing government assistance)

Do we subsidize 1 parent households? Stop doing that.

Focus on eliminating the need for public assistance, if that means the top 1% earn a gazillion dollars a year, who cares?
Most of the gains are going to the top 1%.  That means less to go around the lower/ middle class.
Still is

What's changed is what people consider "basic needs" and the fact that people want to get paid but do not want to put in hard work to earn it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#27]
All I need to know about the author is in this quoted sentence:

I was chief economist of the World Bank in the late 1990s,
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:23:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well, you are right. Education is necessary when money management is invoked.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
This truly makes no sense...
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

As my mother used to tell me, the left doesn't know how to lift anyone up, only how to drag them down.
View Quote
Damn right they can't. Even if they could, they wouldn't as they would lose their power and their money.  Socialism/communism is a religion and a damn good scam as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:31:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Obviously you didn't read the article I posted earlier up this page

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Liberals didn't allow banks to lend to sub-prime borrowers, they forced them to.
Obviously you didn't read the article I posted earlier up this page

In addition, banks, thrift institutions and mortgage companies have been pressing Fannie Mae to help them make more loans to so-called subprime borrowers.
Of course not. The OP caught my eye, I started reading until hitting that post about "allowing" banks to lend to shitbirds and ne'erdowells, at which point, I quoted it, made my comment, shut it down, and went to church. Too much to do to bother with trying to read it all to see if someone might have already said what I thought of.

You should be gratified that I said the same thing you did instead of bitching about it. You know...great minds think alike and all that.

And I provided a valuable lesson in brevity for you.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
A big part of that is the fact that standards and expectations have changed.

Back in the day the family might have got by with one car, had a much smaller house, and clipped coupons for the grocery store. They didn't have a boat, a huge plasma TV, or the extravagances most have today.

I am not saying that is the only change, yes healthcare is out of control and has rocketed up much faster than inflation but I don't think you can fairly compare the average family life 4 decades ago to today. People today would not be satisfied with what they had back then.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

This truly makes no sense...
View Quote
You prove my point.

Life isn't fair, all things aren't equal nor will they ever be. So a better thread title would be: People bitching about inequality is now killing America
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep many want to have a professionals salary on a low skilled job and many want to have what others have busted their ass to have without busting their ass so they take on enormous amounts of debts to get it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:58:36 PM EDT
[#36]
in this thread closet commies will out themselves.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:42:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
It still is depending what your definition of "basic needs" is. What are people entitled to? I live cheap and simple so I don't understand what people expect, house is $537 a month with taxes and insurance escrowed in, power averages $110, water is $25, internet and phone is $60. $224 car payment and $65 a month full coverage insurance, Verizon is $70 for my phone. That's it, about $1100 a month for my "basic needs", not counting gas and food. House will be paid off in 3 years and the car within 2 (could pay them off earlier but the interest rates are so low I've been dumping the extra cash into investments instead). After those are paid off my monthly "basic needs" are gonna be around $600. 

People expect a $100,000 lifestyle on $40,000 a year while they should be living a $30,000 lifestyle while ideally making two or more times that. 
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:44:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Poor being lazy, huh? Lol. Sure. You seem wise.

But yeah it's nonsense. What matters is standard of living and even a poor American lives better than 90% of all humans in history.

You could fix so called income inequality by killing the top 1% of the wealthiest people but nobody would be better off. It's a fake concept.
View Quote
Being poor is simple. It's either a lifestyle choice, lack of intellect, or just straight up laziness.

Go ask the laziest pos you know, if they work hard. You'll find your answer.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:45:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I met a young kid today running his own business.  Makes $80.00 per hour.  Booked solid as far as the eye can see. It's all about thinking like a business owner vs. a $11.00 hr employee.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 11:47:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The problem is that whenever you give the government the power to pick winners and losers, the most cunning will subvert the system so that it favors them.  The only solution is limited government.  
View Quote
Fucking this.

Is there anything the gov. does that private industry couldn't do better at a fraction of the cost?
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 12:05:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
There are powerful trends contributing to the slide of the middle class.  It's not all about lazy americans.

Financial trouble-- spending more than you earn-- is a different matter than simply earning less through no fault of your own.

Picture someone whose real earnings are down 8 percent in 15 years, while his healthcare costs are up by $10k during the same period.  He's still working his ass off.

This is a common situation today.
View Quote
Exactly. Wages are damn near frozen, Obamacare is crushing mostly middle class families, the cost of living continues to climb, and the boot of the govt continues to crush employers and businesses with idiotic regulations.

The working class of middle America are tax slaves.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 2:34:34 AM EDT
[#42]
IMHO....what killed the middle class was, the Govt giveaways that brought non-working Americans up to the level of (or close enough to) real working Americans.

Aloha, Mark
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top