Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Fromm has worked well for me, was recommended by a rescue as they see less problems and in turn less vet bills, better more solid dog/cat waste, and their skin/coats and eyes all look great on it.

Only have a cat now, we did have him on some free Purina or whatever crap we got with our coupons when we first rescued him. When we switched to Fromm the difference was impressive. He had lots more energy (with good food it's not true a cat sleeps most of the day), less shedding, better coat etc.

The sad part is my dog growing up, we got him whatever as we didn't know. I think he got Pedigree but did vary from Iams to Purina. When he was older the knowledge finally started coming out on the crap in dog foods. However, the damage was done and he was stuck on soft expensive refrigerated foods by the vet. Point is, pay now or pay later and to me vet bills add up alot quicker than a couple bucks more per bag for a good food like Fromm.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's amazing how little they need to eat when they are getting decent food.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We feed ours Diamond Naturals Grain Free. They don't eat much of it, about 3 -4 coffee mugs worth a day. I never have to throw any away. No medical issues. They are big Anatolians too. Lean and energetic. People think for their size they must eat us out of house & home and shit mountains but they don't. 
Agree.  Our two female mini Schnauzers (sisters) are 2 years old and very active.  Each weigh 19 pounds and a few ounces.  We have two bowls that I put three ladles of kibble in each bowl every morning.   They eat throughout the day, we call it "dine and dash".  We have a very good Vet that is really thorough in his exams and really takes his time to answers questions and give you an assessment on your pets health.  When he has seen our girls, I'm like a proud parent, as he says they are "perfect" and keep doing what we are doing.  A really good quality food and access to fresh water can make for a very healthy four legged family member.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Agree.  Our two female mini Schnauzers (sisters) are 2 years old and very active.  Each weigh 19 pounds and a few ounces.  We have two bowls that I put three ladles of kibble in each bowl every morning.   They eat throughout the day, we call it "dine and dash".  We have a very good Vet that is really thorough in his exams and really takes his time to answers questions and give you an assessment on your pets health.  When he has seen our girls, I'm like a proud parent, as he says they are "perfect" and keep doing what we are doing.  A really good quality food and access to fresh water can make for a very healthy four legged family member.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We feed ours Diamond Naturals Grain Free. They don't eat much of it, about 3 -4 coffee mugs worth a day. I never have to throw any away. No medical issues. They are big Anatolians too. Lean and energetic. People think for their size they must eat us out of house & home and shit mountains but they don't. 
lol

My dog gets daily 7 cups on a strictly high quality dry food diet OR roughly 4#'s of raw.  An Anatolian has nowhere near the energy I guess.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Pure Balance Wild and Free. Bison, pea, and venison
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sparky, what is the exact name of the dog food?
Same here.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I do the cat version for my cat from blue
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes always grain free. Taste of the Wild has been replaced with Kirkland Signature and I'm happy because my wallet isn't so empty.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I make my dags' food. Chicken hind-quarters, brown rice, peas, carrots, powdered egg shells, raw eggs and bacon grease. Every few days I add some fish oil and some dinovite to his bowl. 

It's a lot cheaper than buying premium dog food. All together it costs me about $13.00 a week. 

He loves it...and he's pushing 16. 
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do you give your dogs grain free dog food? I bought a bag yesterday and my dogs are loving it.
View Quote

Yes.
She is on a limited Ingredient grain free but I'm likely going to move her to a grain free hypoallergenic diet.  She has IBD and IMPA.

I just happened to get lucky picking a LID food that didn't exacerbate her IBD.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#9]
"Grain free" and "no by-product" feed is currently the biggest scam in the pet market.  I love the damned commercials showing a pack of wolves running free in the wilderness suggesting your dog should eat a natural meat diet just like their canine ancestors did.

Here are a couple of facts about wolves and coyotes.  They aren't strict meat eaters and are really just as omnivorous as a bear.

Wolves love "by-product".  When an animal is taken down they eat from the asshole up.  The "by-product" or intestines, shit and all, are a special treat, they go after the other organs next.

I don't personally know anyone who runs working dogs that feed them the grain free stuff and their dogs do just fine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes.

Costco brand.

Runny poops.
View Quote
@Sylvan Try putting them on a probiotic. I feed a probiotic powder on their food daily, and even when they get  a de-wormer their stool is firm. No foul gas either.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Is this a keto thread?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:32:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What's the best bang for the buck?
View Quote
Nature's Domain at CostCo: 35lbs of Grain free Beef and Sweet Potato is $26.99 per bag.

My 3 greyhounds have been on it (or the Turkey version) for a couple of years now, and are all doing well. The most immediate effect noticed was a drastic reduction in their production of toxic "DogFog" ;-)
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"Grain free" and "no by-product" feed is currently the biggest scam in the pet market.  I love the damned commercials showing a pack of wolves running free in the wilderness suggesting your dog should eat a natural meat diet just like their canine ancestors did.

Here are a couple of facts about wolves and coyotes.  They aren't strict meat eaters and are really just as omnivorous as a bear.

Wolves love "by-product".  When an animal is taken down they eat from the asshole up.  The "by-product" or intestines, shit and all, are a special treat, they go after the other organs next.

I don't personally know anyone who runs working dogs that feed them the grain free stuff and their dogs do just fine.
View Quote
Pet food marketing is very effective.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe.

I don't give a shit about wolves running free eating grain free meals.

I do know that it has made a world of difference for my dog.   I don't know if he has an allergy to grains or what, but I know that it has made a difference.   His ears aren't red and inflamed, his eyes look better, you can't hear his stomach gurgling from across the room.  

I have no idea if its the grains or something else in normal dry kibble, but there is most definitely something different.   Our other dog doesn't have issues, he'll eat anything you put in front of him.  None of them get people food- except an occasional ice cream bowl to clean up.

I probably should try the RAW diet, but i have enough shit to do I don't need to add 'make dog food' to the list.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:49:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I was in the pet food manufacturing business for 7 years.

Meat and bone meal is the lowest quality crap you can put into feed.  It is the absolute worst part of an animal, think offal, hooves, and bits of hair and hide processed at extremely high temps.

Because of fears of mad cow disease it is no longer legal to feed it to any animals for human consumption.  

MaBM is neither meat nor clean bone meal.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Taste of the Wild for my 3.
We switch varieties.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Do not feed older or inactive dogs high protein diets.  It is hard on their kidneys.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:31:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Do you give your dogs grain free dog food? I bought a bag yesterday and my dogs are loving it.
View Quote
Dogs love food? No shit?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:55:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed. The chicken by product that is believe is the 2nd or 3rd ingredient in kinetic has improved his coat quite a bit.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:57:18 AM EDT
[#20]
4Health Grain Free.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:05:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@Sylvan Try putting them on a probiotic. I feed a probiotic powder on their food daily, and even when they get  a de-wormer their stool is firm. No foul gas either.
View Quote
I just ordered some.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yes, I forget the brand name but I buy it at Tractor Supply. Our Corgi/Border Collie mix gets hot spots if we feed him anything with grain or corn.

Edit: This is the stuff

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/324438/IMG-3698-197972.JPG
View Quote
Highly rated as well. We have been using it for a year or so now. About the best bang for the buck there is in a good food.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I feed my dogs "Taste of the Wild" which is grain free.  They like it and it seems like they shed less now.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Had a dog that liked to raid the corn fields for sweet corn.
I feed my dog cheap food, and he amazes people how energetic he is for 10 years old.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Yep, my dog has been getting grain free since I got her four years ago.
She gets the Costco Kirkland Signature Natures Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato dog food and she loves it.
The Kirkland Signature dog food is made in the USA, it's grain free, and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Another Taste of the Wild fan here. Plus random raw meat I throw at her.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes!  For cat and dogs for us.  Our dogs know no different but coats are nice, no allergic reactions or itching.

Our cat went from Grain to grain free.  The transformation was amazing.  Coat is shiny and luxurious now.  But the biggest change was She used to lick bald spots.  Not after food switch!  She seems much happier too!.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yes!  For cat and dogs for us.  Our dogs know no different but coats are nice, no allergic reactions or itching.

Our cat went from Grain to grain free.  The transformation was amazing.  Coat is shiny and luxurious now.  But the biggest change was She used to lick bald spots.  Not after food switch!  She seems much happier too!.
View Quote
Caught the cat raiding the grain free dog food this morning. Lol
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:57:14 PM EDT
[#29]
My recently passed Lab was fed Wellness Core grain free for a few years then we switched to Fromm's grain free. Both were of a fish variety.

Picking up a new Lab pup next week. The breeder has the litter on Victor Hi Pro Plus 30/20. She told me not to feed him grain free until he was an adult.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Country Vet is the best dog food on the planet. http://countryvetpetfood.com/

I have tried crappy off-the-shelf foods and they either made my dogs sick or lethargic. With CV, my dogs are visibly happier and more active.  It's not even that expensive.

If I wasn't using CV, I would probably go with Blue Buffalo. I did quite a bit of researching on dog foods, including talks with multiple vets. Everything and everyone said Country Vet, followed by Blue Buffalo, and they were right.

If you are buying dog food from Wal-Mart or Target, you are feeding your animals extremely poor quality food. If you are feeding them Purina, I would argue that you're poisoning them.
View Quote
Ingredients on that Country Vet food are absolute garbage for a dog.

Blue Buffalo would be a step up, but I never recommend it to my customers, and we sell it. I don't trust that company as far as I can throw them.

Fromm, Acana, and Orijen would be my top picks if I was to go back to a dry dog food. Currently I use Primal, or Stella & Chewy's frozen raw diet, and also the Honest Kitchen, or Grandma Lucy's dehydrated raw.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I swear by Orijen... not easy to find locally but most major online places carry it
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#32]
I Feed my English and French Bulldog Castor&pollux right now.

It is not cheap, but they eat less, poop smaller and some skin ailments have vanished.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:37:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Our GSDs and pittie mix eat Fromm.  Have also fed Merrick and Victor.  Mix in one or 2 of the following: Greek yogurt or coconut oil or raw eggs or pumpkin and apple cider vinegar.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Agreed. The chicken by product that is believe is the 2nd or 3rd ingredient in kinetic has improved his coat quite a bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So much fail and ignorance in these posts unless trolling.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I was in the pet food manufacturing business for 7 years.

Meat and bone meal is the lowest quality crap you can put into feed.  It is the absolute worst part of an animal, think offal, hooves, and bits of hair and hide processed at extremely high temps.

Because of fears of mad cow disease it is no longer legal to feed it to any animals for human consumption.  

MaBM is neither meat nor clean bone meal.
View Quote
If listed as meat and bone meal, yes, it is pure shit.

Named protein source meal has more protein that the straight up meat. Ingredients are listed by their pre cooking weight to be made into kibble. Chicken meat actually has a shitload less protein than chicken meal, the meal is just the meat with the moisture already taken out.

What you are saying is put into the food is not allowed in pet food, and even as shitty as by products are, they don't allow the items you listed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Switched our corgi from Blue Buffalo Freedom Weight Control to Wellness Core Reduced Fat.

She seems to do well on the Wellness.

Blue Buffalo was sued and had several recalls recently due to their ingredients and mislabeling their products so I dropped them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
We feed our 3 GSDs Earthborn Holistic Costal catch.  Grain free and no shitty chicken by-products.

It has really been a big help as they are prone to food allergies
View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Attachment Attached File

Walmart brand. Comparable to $$$ dog foods. Recommended by dogfoodadvisor.com

I buy the buffalo/green pea recipe. Best bang for the $
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:02:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Acana and Orijen for my buddy, along with daily portions of meat.  Works really well, he looks good and is full of energy.  Nine and a half months now.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#40]
We feed our GSD a raw mix.  We order it online and the guy delivers along the front range every two weeks.  They have a shepherd mix we feed our guy along with green tripe we put in it.  The green tripe smells totally like shit but our GSD loves it.  He eats about 2 lbs a day of the shepherd/tripe mix.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:04:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Kirkland brand grain-free dog food is good stuff and a great value.
View Quote
That is what I use supplemented by raw chicken and beef.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:22:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I feed my dogs "Taste of the Wild" which is grain free.  They like it and it seems like they shed less now.
View Quote
With the yellow bag (bison?) my dogs have much less gas.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:39:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That bag is mainly lamb and chicken for the protein.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 6:45:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I swear by Orijen... not easy to find locally but most major online places carry it
View Quote
what he said
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:11:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My mini Schnauzers get 4 Health grain free from Tractor Supply.  They love it and my Vet says physically, their bones, muscle, weight and coats are perfect.  It also seems like grain free kibble is much darker in color than other kibble.
View Quote
That's what I feed my dogs as well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:52:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Same here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We feed our 3 GSDs Earthborn Holistic Costal catch.  Grain free and no shitty chicken by-products.

It has really been a big help as they are prone to food allergies
Same here.
Our beasts are on it as well
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What's the best bang for the buck?
View Quote
Kirkland signature form COSTCO.

good stuff
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 8:01:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Same here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sparky, what is the exact name of the dog food?
Same here.
Same.  It gets good reviews and I can get it at Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 8:01:29 AM EDT
[#49]
My girl gets a combination of Royal Canin and boiled chicken. She goes ape shit when it's time to eat.

Link Posted: 5/3/2017 8:02:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Do not feed older or inactive dogs high protein diets.  It is hard on their kidneys.
View Quote
they don't have to be older or inactive for this to be an issue, our Mal was showing markers for high kidney function at 9 months... and he is highly active.

we switched him from grain free to regular Kirkland food and cut his chicken bonus food in 1/2.  He is GTG now. leaner and stronger too.

the take away is feed your dogs what works and maintain a good relationship with a solid vet.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top