Anyone figures which one for the shockwave, please post for idiot.  Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since this thread is getting such traffic let me ask here: Does anyone know what the piece of hardware would be called- a screw that fits the set screw area of a shockwave, but with an internal spring loaded plunger/detent inside of it. Male screw female internal plunger. To make the length less permanent and less stock-like 
Ball Nose Spring Plunger

Check with McMaster Carr
Spot on!! 5/16x18!! Woo!!! Now to figure out which "C" dimension projection fits
http://catalog.te-co.com/category/hand-retractable-plungers-with-non-locking-handle?plpver=1003&pcat=spring-plungers
A few different ones should work, so it depends which you like the look of. Main thing is it needs to be imperial not metric, and the thread pattern is the 5/16x18 choice (from what I've read). I can pull my set screw and measure it for OAL but I don't have a mic so it'll be rough.

Eta: I can't find a ruler. But you're going to want over 1", because with the set screw engaged it's head it is about 1/4" below the edge of the hole in the stock.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I am going to start writing the ATF everyday and tell all my friends to do the same until all braces are banned.

No I am not stop writing stupid fucking letters, and if you are comfortable with using a brace build a rifle or an SBR, but for God's sake stop writing fucking letters to the ATF on clarification on whether or not you can use your brace to masterbate with.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A few different ones should work, so it depends which you like the look of. Main thing is it needs to be imperial not metric, and the thread pattern is the 5/16x18 choice (from what I've read). I can pull my set screw and measure it for OAL but I don't have a mic so it'll be rough.

Eta: I can't find a ruler. But you're going to want over 1", because with the set screw engaged it's head it is about 1/4" below the edge of the hole in the stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Since this thread is getting such traffic let me ask here: Does anyone know what the piece of hardware would be called- a screw that fits the set screw area of a shockwave, but with an internal spring loaded plunger/detent inside of it. Male screw female internal plunger. To make the length less permanent and less stock-like 
Ball Nose Spring Plunger

Check with McMaster Carr
Spot on!! 5/16x18!! Woo!!! Now to figure out which "C" dimension projection fits
http://catalog.te-co.com/category/hand-retractable-plungers-with-non-locking-handle?plpver=1003&pcat=spring-plungers

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

FIFY!

Some make women look stable...

I know a few exceptions...

View Quote
When gays got the right to marry, you didn't see the homosexuals going 'Well umm, I'd like you know, for more clarification.'  or 'I dunno guys, maybe it'll get reversed'.

Gun owners are literally more timid than homosexuals
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

This SB collapsible brace has same length of pull as a normal collapsible mpx stock.
Attachment Attached File

This Thordsen cheek rest has a better cheek weld than most stocks imo.
Attachment Attached File

This shockwave blade is lighter than most stocks.  All these are legal in Iowa where SBR's are not...at least until July 1.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Whoops....where SBR's are not legal yet until July 1.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#7]
So what if I put a brace on my pistol that was a rifle that I've loaded with armor-piercing bullets and shoulder it, but only on alternate Thursdays during periods when the planet Jupiter is exhibiting retrograde motion?

*Writes to BATFE tech department*
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I go to the trouble to highlight that not everyone feels this way and sbr guys still whine and cry.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If there was really a difference between a shouldered brace and a shouldered stock, there wouldn't need to be atf opinion letters and multiple page threads debating those letters. They are functionally the same and anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together knows that.

Some, SOME, sbr guys really believe that paying a tax and waiting close to a year to be able to use that magical stock, makes them part of a special club. And they hate thd idea of losing that exclusivity.
I don't know where SOME of you guys come up with this crap. I have a couple of SBRs. It has zero to do with exclusivity or being in some club. I find the braces ugly and prefer LMT stocks, but I think braces are a great idea for those that can't or don't want to go through the hassle of making a SBR.
I go to the trouble to highlight that not everyone feels this way and sbr guys still whine and cry.

I keep hearing these types of comments, but I have yet to see SBR owners suggest that braces shouldn't be available to everyone. I agree SBRs can be a pain in the ass. I remember when the prototype brace thread launched here on ARFCOM. I think it's a brilliant idea and some of the new variants are much better looking than the original. It's also cool to see them on other firearms besides just ARs. I don't think one would have worked too well for my PS90 though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ball Nose Spring Plunger

Check with McMaster Carr

Thanks.
Upon further review it appears that provider may not have hardware with long enough bodies in the 5/16x18 size.

Arfcom help request for the mechanically knowledgeable that have a Shockwave on hand.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#10]
The next "uproar" is going to be caused by some dumbass that wants the ATF to clarify that he can shoot green tip 5.56 from his "pistol"....

I swear I will personally choke any of you fuckers if you try and do this!

STOP WRITING TO THE GOD DAMNED ATF ALREADY.... NOTHING GOOD CAN COME OF IT!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I keep hearing these types of comments, but I have yet to see SBR owners suggest that braces shouldn't be available to everyone. I agree SBRs can be a pain in the ass. I remember when the prototype brace thread launched here on ARFCOM. I think it's a brilliant idea and some of the new variants are much better looking than the original. It's also cool to see them on other firearms besides just ARs. I don't think one would have worked too well for my PS90 though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If there was really a difference between a shouldered brace and a shouldered stock, there wouldn't need to be atf opinion letters and multiple page threads debating those letters. They are functionally the same and anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together knows that.

Some, SOME, sbr guys really believe that paying a tax and waiting close to a year to be able to use that magical stock, makes them part of a special club. And they hate thd idea of losing that exclusivity.
I don't know where SOME of you guys come up with this crap. I have a couple of SBRs. It has zero to do with exclusivity or being in some club. I find the braces ugly and prefer LMT stocks, but I think braces are a great idea for those that can't or don't want to go through the hassle of making a SBR.

And I doubt you will...in a public forum.  What benefit is there expressing that opinion and outing oneself as a hypocritical, elitist tool when the alternative is to just use mental gymnastics to say the brace changes reliability or makes the AR less effective.

ETA:  The poster below me illustrates my point perfectly.  Do I need to say more?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Such a well reasoned and thought out response.  I shouldn't expect anything less from someone who thinks what is attached to the end of a buffer tube influences reliability.
View Quote
And what you typed out was reasonable at all?

It wasn't, so your false assumptions got the reply it earned
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Don't thank him for bad information.  I like my AR stock 2 clicks out from full in.  My sig brace and KAK tube equipped pistol is 1/4" longer than an AR with a MOE stock set at that position. LOP is perfect for me but for guys who like different LOP there are ways to adjust.  And Since MOEs seem to be pretty popular and I have one right here lets take some other measurements.  

Height of shoulder contact area at butt pad from top to bottom: sig brace is approximately 6-1/2", MOE is approximately 5-1/2".  So there is more contact area with the brace.

Width of shoulder contact area at butt pad:  sig brace is approx 2-1/2" at widest part, MOE is approx 1-5/8" at widest part.  Again, more contact area with the brace.

Cheek weld area:  sig brace is approx 6-3/8" long by 2" deep, MOE is approx 6-7/8" by 1-1/2" deep.  Depth is the more important dimension with cheek weld and the brace has more contact area here as well.

If someone doesn't like braces or thinks they're ugly ( because that matters) then fine.  However, you don't just get to make up bullshit.

ETA:  People that make the ergonomic argument have never shouldered a brace.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Length of pull, better cheek weld, more stable, better ergonomics, etc.

So yes.
Thanks. Most folks I see advocating for SBR instead of brace seem to blame it on looks alone. Without having shouldered a pistol brace I can't really say, but what you're saying makes sense. Although the Shockwave Brace looks like it would offer pretty much all of that minus a rubber butt pad.
Don't thank him for bad information.  I like my AR stock 2 clicks out from full in.  My sig brace and KAK tube equipped pistol is 1/4" longer than an AR with a MOE stock set at that position. LOP is perfect for me but for guys who like different LOP there are ways to adjust.  And Since MOEs seem to be pretty popular and I have one right here lets take some other measurements.  

Height of shoulder contact area at butt pad from top to bottom: sig brace is approximately 6-1/2", MOE is approximately 5-1/2".  So there is more contact area with the brace.

Width of shoulder contact area at butt pad:  sig brace is approx 2-1/2" at widest part, MOE is approx 1-5/8" at widest part.  Again, more contact area with the brace.

Cheek weld area:  sig brace is approx 6-3/8" long by 2" deep, MOE is approx 6-7/8" by 1-1/2" deep.  Depth is the more important dimension with cheek weld and the brace has more contact area here as well.

If someone doesn't like braces or thinks they're ugly ( because that matters) then fine.  However, you don't just get to make up bullshit.

My information wasn't bad, yours sure is horrible though.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Gratuitous photo of my AR-9 with Sig brace that I shouldered yesterday as I shot it...a lot.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Get stripped lower.

Put on carbine buffer tube with no stock, H2 buffer.

Install Mk18 upper.

= Unreliable

Get stamp, add stock.

= Now it is reliable
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228370/IMG-0496-195159.JPG
This SB collapsible brace has same length of pull as a normal collapsible mpx stock.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228370/IMG-0467-195160.JPG
This Thordsen cheek rest has a better cheek weld than most stocks imo.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228370/IMG-0522-195161.JPG
This shockwave blade is lighter than most stocks.  All these are legal in Iowa where SBR's are not...at least until July 1.
View Quote
Should've posted these in the PDW thread!

Awesome pistols
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So yes.
Thanks. Most folks I see advocating for SBR instead of brace seem to blame it on looks alone. Without having shouldered a pistol brace I can't really say, but what you're saying makes sense. Although the Shockwave Brace looks like it would offer pretty much all of that minus a rubber butt pad.

Well, I'm waiting for you to refute it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Get stripped lower.

Install Mk18 upper.

= Unreliable

Get stamp, add stock.

= Now it is reliable
View Quote
Duh. Stock Harmonics.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#20]
DoubleTap
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:34:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The amount of stupidity I'm seeing in this thread astounds me.

And I've been here a while.

It takes a whole fucking lot to astound me.
View Quote
Not me right? 
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So yes.

Length of pull on the fly to suit the clothes I am wearing weather dependent. Can't do that with a brace.

Cheek weld, can't get a proper cheek weld for the length of pull I desire.

Ergonomics is an actual thing, and I have tried a brace, the Sig and the Shockwave. They suck. They both made me appreciate a real stock even more.

Your BS argument is BS.

So again, my information wasn't bad, but yours sure is.

And your hate has gotten me to fill out another Form 1 and write another check. Your welcome.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Get stripped lower.

Install Mk18 upper.

= Unreliable

Get stamp, add stock.

= Now it is reliable
View Quote
Fucking baffling, isn't it?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#25]
ATF saying they are getting a ton of calls and may have to "re-evaluate" their latest clarification  
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
When gays got the right to marry, you didn't see the homosexuals going 'Well umm, I'd like you know, for more clarification.'  or 'I dunno guys, maybe it'll get reversed'.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIFY!

Some make women look stable...

I know a few exceptions...

Gays won't be sent to prison for butt sex
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Length of pull on the fly to suit the clothes I am wearing weather dependent. Can't do that with a brace.

Ergonomics is an actual thing, and I have tried a brace, the Sig and the Shockwave. They suck. They both made me appreciate a real stock even more.

Your BS argument is BS.

And your hate has gotten me to fill out another Form 1 and write another check. Your welcome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So yes.

Your BS argument is BS.

The only legitimate issue you raise is adjustability.  However, something tells me that you're no where near high speed enough to require immediate adjustability.

The ergonomics argument is fucking laughable at best.  I posted actual dimensions detailing how there is more contact area and stability with a brace over one of the most popular stocks on the market and you reply "muh ergonomics."  What a clown.

ETA:  I couldn't possibly care any less about your fake stamp collection.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The only legitimate issue you raise is adjustability.  However, something tells me that you're no where near high speed enough to require immediate adjustability.

The ergonomics argument is fucking laughable at best.  I posted actual dimensions detailing how there is more contact area and stability with a brace over one of the most popular stocks on the market and you reply "muh ergonomics."  What a clown.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So yes.

Your BS argument is BS.

No, that isn't the only legitimate issue. Just because you're letting yourself be ignorant does not change facts. And facts override your feelings.

And you've already shown to me that you're not as smart as you think you're being in regards to this all. The fact that you're throwing away length of pull is all I need to know that you don't know what you're talking about.

And your counter to dismiss ergonomics is even more laughable. Ergonomics is everything. Your brace isn't more stable nor is it adjustable. It's sub standard equipment to use as a loophole. The very fact that you are even denying that tells me that we're done because you have willingly thrown out reason over your hurt feels.

Yes, you sure are a clown. A clueless one at that.

ETA: Click.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No, that isn't the only legitimate issue. Just because you're letting yourself be ignorant does not change facts. And facts override your feelings.

And you've already shown to me that you're not as smart as you think you're being in regards to this all. The fact that you're throwing away length of pull is all I need to know that you don't know what you're talking about.

And your counter to dismiss ergonomics is even more laughable. Ergonomics is everything. Your brace isn't more stable nor is it adjustable. It's sub standard equipment to use as a loophole. The very fact that you are even denying that tells me that we're done because you have willingly thrown out reason over your hurt feels.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So yes.

Your BS argument is BS.

LOL. I'd scold you on your reading comprehension but you took your ball and went home.

Talk about hurt feels. LOL.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:01:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The amount of stupidity I'm seeing in this thread astounds me.

And I've been here a while.

It takes a whole fucking lot to astound me.
View Quote

I lost!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#31]
So does this mean every company that makes ARs will no longer stamp their receivers as a rifle and that someone else will make a "brace" that's just a regular stock with a Velcro strap on it and this entire moronic thing will nullify the need for an SBR tax stamp?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
They were.

And no one's going to get sent to prison for shouldering an arm brace.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:12:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

They were.

View Quote
and no one's getting forced to shoulder arm braces in prison.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#34]
If the ATF didn't look like political hacks before, they do now. Terminate the employees and save some money.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah277/JeepinCO/20170413_085923_zpsvub31yv4.jpg

Gratuitous photo of my AR-9 with Sig brace that I shouldered yesterday as I shot it...a lot.
View Quote
Why that 'brace' looks exactly like any run of the mill stock...

With some Tacticool features...

Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

LOL. I'd scold you on your reading comprehension but you took your ball and went home.

View Quote
Emotional breakdown...

lol
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This! ^^^^

Lets see how many people I can piss off here!

This It's not the tax, it's the wait. If the ATF came out tomorrow said said you know what guys, the tax has been $200.00 dollars since 1934 and we have never raised it but the operational costs have gone up, more and more apps are coming in and we can't keep up without raising the cost to say $300~500.00 dollars per stamp BUT if we do this we can get the waits down to like 30~45 days (how ever long it takes to process the back ground check), I would be like OK! I would GLADLY pay a couple hundred more dollars to "speed up" the process.

Hell keep the tax at $200.00 but add a $200~300.00 "optional expedited filing fee" for those to want to get it quicker, I'll pay it.
View Quote
Hell no thats the biggest load of bullshit I've ever heard suggested. We shouldn't be paying them shit in the first place, and fuck their operating costs seeing as how they shouldn't exist entirely. Not to mention that the ATF can't raise the tax, it would have to be done by legislation.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So yes.

Your BS argument is BS.

Don't worry, he still reads your posts after he puts you on ignore.  It's just an excuse for him to stop talking when he has no rebuttal.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:33:56 PM EDT
[#39]
People keep poking the bear...
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Doesn't mean he's wrong though. Braces are gay as fuck and this letter changes nothing. They could flip flop again tomorrow and boom you're a felon.
View Quote
I will take my chances. This letter changes nothing about how I shoot my pistols.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Yes.
View Quote
Keep up the great work. I really enjoy your videos.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The next "uproar" is going to be caused by some dumbass that wants the ATF to clarify that he can shoot green tip 5.56 from his "pistol"....

I swear I will personally choke any of you fuckers if you try and do this!

STOP WRITING TO THE GOD DAMNED ATF ALREADY.... NOTHING GOOD CAN COME OF IT!
View Quote
I didn't think of that. I'll have them weigh in with their opinion on it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#43]
All these years I have wondered if going to the Star Road first and getting the Blue Yoshi so I could fly through all of the maps was considered cheating.

I think I will write the ATF and inquire.    I wonder what they will say.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#44]
This is not a brace, it's a barrel holding device for when my pistol is stored.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If the ATF didn't look like political hacks before, they do now. Terminate the employees entire agency and save some money.
View Quote
Fixed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#46]
So, can I use a Scorpion with an SB brace in PCC for USPSA now?
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So yes.

Your BS argument is BS.

You outed yourself and lost this one the moment you said the word, "Loophole."
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They were.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were.

People get sent to prison for nfa violations. In some obscure circumstances this could be one. It's not right.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#49]
@MilitaryArms

Just so you can stop saying this only applies to SB Tactical, here is official confirmation from Shockwave that the Blade is able to be shouldered: http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?p=3524

Time to re-film all your videos from yesterday and today!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
@MilitaryArms

Just so you can stop saying this only applies to SB Tactical, here is official confirmation from Shockwave that the Blade is able to be shouldered: http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?p=3524

Time to re-film all your videos from yesterday and today!
View Quote
Gear Head Works is saying something similar on social media.  For sure verbal confirmation on the phone isn't the same as having it in writing, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.  

And apparently that the ATF may be working on clarifying their clarification on their clarification.  This shit is making my head hurt.

William
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top