Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/23/2017 1:02:24 PM EDT
When you're in government housing, just call in a government contractor to change light bulbs. 
http://www.aviva.co.uk/media-centre/story/17758/one-in-five-uk-adults-doesnt-know-how-to-boil-an-e/
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Poll is stupid. WTF doesn't use a recipe to cook a meal unless they have done the same one many times? 79% use a recipe, no shit. That's what chefs do until they've done it ten times. Other stuff is less believable. Can't change a light bulb? I bought LED so I don't ever have to again If they can't it's their parents failure, not theirs.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy shit.

I feel...less bad. heh.

Wasn't taught much DIY growing up.  Had and still have to learn most myself as things pop up and in cases where I could REALLY fuck something up (electricity which I have ALOT of respect for) I fortunately have a good friend who is a master electrician to lean on via text and pics so I don't fry myself or burn things down accidentally lol :)

But ....a LIGHTBULB??!  WTF.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#4]
This could also mean 20% like to troll on idiotic surveys
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:11:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a hard time believing that 21% of of people, even in the UK, can't unscrew a light bulb... Won't, maybe.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#6]
These days, YouTube can help anyone fake that they grew up in a DIY household. I do it all the time. But a lightbulb? Yeesh.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a hard time believing that 21% of of people, even in the UK, can't unscrew a light bulb... Won't, maybe.
View Quote
It's not just the UK....I've had grown men who didn't know how to change a tire, and one who couldn't reset a breaker...yeah  he called the police because he didn't know that putting 4 extension cords full of assorted crap on one outlet would pop a breaker and turn off the power...  NEVER underestimate the ability of people to be stupid.  A friend of mine  (Very pretty girl, GREAT tits, and no pics)  once told her father and brother that she didn't need to learn how to change a tire because "I have these"  her brother went out and let the air out of one of her tired and told her "Now wgat?  I don't give a damn about "Those". ...so she learned to change a tire.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Poll is stupid. WTF doesn't use a recipe to cook a meal unless they have done the same one many times?...
View Quote
I rarely use recipes except when I'm baking.  The whole point of The Iron Chef is to prove one's ability to create a meal with whatever ingredients are provided.

Baking (breads, cakes, cookies, etc.) is special because proportions of ingredients can have a huge impact on the outcome.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Dupe skills are improving.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#12]
You would be surprised how few people actually know how to do stuff that many of us think is or should be common knowledge. I mean, seriously--Who doesn't know how to change oil or deal with a flat tire, right? Only... Surprise! You run into grown adults who can't cope with this shit, on a daily basis.

What flatly blows my mind is when I run into guys in the trades who can't deal with anything outside their narrow little window. How hard is it to fix a leaking pipe, or figure out how to turn off the water in a house they're working in? I mean, seriously... Do you not pay attention to things, when the other trades are there doing stuff?

It's not just any one group, either--I've run into some tradesmen who were absolutely at the top of their game in their trade, but who were totally clueless outside of it. Likewise, there are a bunch of highly educated people I've run into, including engineers with degrees in the mechanical fields, and who should have been able to work things out easily enough, who couldn't find the shut-off valve in their house with the damn thing right in front of them, and who were puzzled by which direction was "off" on the ball valve...

Some people are simply not generalists, and are unable to pick up on things outside their narrow little specializations. I find this astounding, but there it is--I'm no longer surprised by anything I run into, like people who tell me that their car doesn't need oil, so that little "oil can light thingy" doesn't mean anything important...
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Lol, Britfags. 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This could also mean 20% like to troll on idiotic surveys
View Quote
Boaty McBoatface approved this message!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#15]
they spelled tire wrong

Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#16]
They should do a pole on how many know how to use toilet paper. I'll bet you get similar results.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#17]
It's just as bad here. I'm a maintenance tech with a large property management company. Mostly condos. We charge $45/hr. I often get called out to change a single light bulb.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Could these 21%ers be imported, by chance.  Also, love goats?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Jeez, yesterday I replaced a faulty 3-way socket in a LR lamp and fixed the female plug on my extension cord. As soon as I find the correct capacitor I'm going to repair my LR ceiling fan. I guess that puts this old man ahead of 99% of the 30-something crowd!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wasn't this topic done last night?
View Quote
Why, did Brits learn how to change a lightbulb overnight?  

Just kidding!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Damn... Yesterday I diagnosed how a 'pro' sparky fucked up our 1 on, 1 switched outlets in a room, fixed a fucked up ground connection behind one of the old outlets I replaced, and fixed the original fuckup to restore switched power to the room. 

I can see someone not being able to do that... but a lighbulb? Assuming its not a security fixture or 15 feet over a stairwell, there's no excuse.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Lol, Britfags. 
View Quote
Yup, pussified Eurofags.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#23]
That's because 21% of adults in the UK recently came from a ME country without electricity . . .

Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That's because 21% of adults in the UK recently came from a ME country without electricity . . .

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You would be surprised how few people actually know how to do stuff that many of us think is or should be common knowledge. I mean, seriously--Who doesn't know how to change oil or deal with a flat tire, right? Only... Surprise! You run into grown adults who can't cope with this shit, on a daily basis.

What flatly blows my mind is when I run into guys in the trades who can't deal with anything outside their narrow little window. How hard is it to fix a leaking pipe, or figure out how to turn off the water in a house they're working in? I mean, seriously... Do you not pay attention to things, when the other trades are there doing stuff?

It's not just any one group, either--I've run into some tradesmen who were absolutely at the top of their game in their trade, but who were totally clueless outside of it. Likewise, there are a bunch of highly educated people I've run into, including engineers with degrees in the mechanical fields, and who should have been able to work things out easily enough, who couldn't find the shut-off valve in their house with the damn thing right in front of them, and who were puzzled by which direction was "off" on the ball valve...

Some people are simply not generalists, and are unable to pick up on things outside their narrow little specializations. I find this astounding, but there it is--I'm no longer surprised by anything I run into, like people who tell me that their car doesn't need oil, so that little "oil can light thingy" doesn't mean anything important...
View Quote
Very few true renaissance men these days, even in the trades.

The interesting thing is that the few younger guys who are skilled outside of their career seem like they are more hardcore then the previous generations.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
There's a new generation of stupid born every day and they are only evolving.

NEVER underestimate how stupid someone can be, especially from places with bloated governments
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:15:15 PM EDT
[#27]
That's OK. At the rate the mooslums are invading and subsequently tearing that country apart they'll soon have little use for light bulbs, since they'll be plunged back into the dark ages.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:48:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Hell, half of them can't speak engrish
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:49:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I am amazed at the lack of skill grown men lack in changing a tire or changing a headlight bulb. Amusing and scary at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
They call them "Asians"
The stupid kind of Asians
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:57:04 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm surprised the number is that low. I would assume it is closer to 70% with the people I deal with on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm calling bs. There's no way a person can't change a light bulb. I refuse to believe this.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I have no problem believing that.

We've had brand new fresh out of college "technicians" get hired on that don't know how to use a screwdriver or a socket set........It's absolutely hilarious to watch but sucks you just can't walk away and let them tear up equipment........
View Quote
The thing that kills me is that when some idiot destroys a piece of equipment that somehow it's still my fault because I ought to have known better and I should have watched him closer - but I didn't hire the idiot, they did. The idiot gets to move on to another area to destroy more equipment but I'm on the burner for his mistakes. These aren't even fresh out of school. Most of them are 30s to 40s but they can't use basic tools.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#36]
probably the same 21% that have bad teeth
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Most light bulbs in the uk dont unscrew, you have to push them and turn them a quater to release the bulb.
Atb
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Not surprised.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#39]
It's intentional, done to get people helpless and reliant on the state.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Someone my mom used to associate with when she was a member of the Moose lived in section 8 housing, only in a nice area. They'd send someone out to replace light bulbs for her. She was on SS disability for anxiety and also had a maid clean her place weekly. Literally wouldn't lift a finger for anything.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:28:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Try explaining bearing pre-load, to a Millenial first generation Mexican American kid.

For some reason, Millenials don't tinker with their Bicycles as elementary kids, and have no point of reference.
Fuckers can Text 90wpm though.

Light bulbs? That's some Happy jack level stupid going on.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
These days, YouTube can help anyone fake that they grew up in a DIY household. I do it all the time. But a lightbulb? Yeesh.
View Quote
God bless YouTube instructional vids.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Sweden is done for!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
What if it included old folks, disabled people, and broke people who didn't have a light bulb or a ladder who live in rented or government housing?  21% sounds about right to me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:46:24 PM EDT
[#45]
I realize regularly how little my parents taught me when I was little. Basic carpentry is foreign to me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:48:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Holy shit.

I feel...less bad. heh.

Wasn't taught much DIY growing up.  Had and still have to learn most myself as things pop up and in cases where I could REALLY fuck something up (electricity which I have ALOT of respect for) I fortunately have a good friend who is a master electrician to lean on via text and pics so I don't fry myself or burn things down accidentally lol :)

But ....a LIGHTBULB??!  WTF.
View Quote
ditto and ditto...there are a lot of DIY things I pretty much suck at because I wasn't ever exposed to them as a kid, but all that shit on that list is pretty basic..
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:50:13 PM EDT
[#47]
The first time I changed a lightbulb in Australia, I shocked myself.

Instead of screwing it in with threads, their lightbulb has to nobs that twist into positon. Somehow, I shocked myself.

Supposedly, our screw-in lightbulbs are "safer."
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#48]
I was having a conversation with my dad last week about how I don't understand how people can live needing someone else for even the most basic repairs and maintenance. I'd have to make at least 3x what I make now in order to keep what I have maintained, repaired, or replaced by other people instead of doing it myself.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Waiting for the guys who try too hard to show up.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:31:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Poll is stupid. WTF doesn't use a recipe to cook a meal unless they have done the same one many times? 79% use a recipe, no shit. That's what chefs do until they've done it ten times. Other stuff is less believable. Can't change a light bulb? I bought LED so I don't ever have to again If they can't it's their parents failure, not theirs.
View Quote
Yep I cook from family recipes because I can't remember them 90% of the time. To many ingrediants honestly to just remember.

However I'm talking home cooked food, not micro wave dinner where I need the instructions.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top