Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/23/2017 11:26:13 AM EDT
I realized yesterday while perusing GasBuddy that Costco has some of the cheapest gas around.  But of course, that comes with a price.   But I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to get a membership for the occasional stuff I'd buy in bulk like snacks for work, toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, etc, if you don't have kids.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I realized yesterday while perusing GasBuddy that Costco has some of the cheapest gas around.  But of course, that comes with a price.   But I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to get a membership for the occasional stuff I'd buy in bulk like snacks for work, toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, etc, if you don't have kids.
View Quote

Do you have freezer space for some bulk stuff like chicken breasts?....and if it's close, twonderful can have a nice meal at the food part pretty cheaply.

So the answer is a qualified yes....and if you grill, their prime beef is pretty good prices.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I like Costco but I call it the $200 store. No matter matter how hard you try, you're not leaving without spending at least $200.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:29:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh yeah you need a membership.

You can buy all the stuff you never knew you needed! And in case lots no less.
Some 8 years ago I bought some bars of soap I liked. Still have one bar left.

ETA I never got out for under $300. And sometimes it was twice that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:32:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep. Can't beat lunch for a buck fiddy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#5]
It is worth it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#6]
True, but for 50 bucks a year at BJs, the beauty is I don't have to go inside the store for gasoline. Only inside to pay for propane for BBQ. The more I stay outside, the less I spend.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Costco,Sam's,BJ's card,etc., is definitely worth having. The initial membership cost is a small amount compared to what you can save in the following year. The first time I went and bought some items, the membership cost paid for itself. Like others have said, you might need another freezer or storage space.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#8]
For 55 bucks a year it's worth it to me in a similar situation.

Just get a freezer so you can freeze meat.

It's amazing for non-perishables and household items (garbage bags, detergent, shampoo, soap, etc).  

If you freeze or throw parties, the Meat prices are incredible.

Wine prices are very hard to beat.

Bulk batteries, tools, and well priced electronics.

I spend so much there I upgraded to the executive membership (another 55 bucks) and usually get at least 55 bucks back at the end of the year.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For 55 bucks a year it's worth it to me in a similar situation.

Just get a freezer so you can freeze meat.

It's amazing for non-perishables and household items (garbage bags, detergent, shampoo, soap, etc).  

If you freeze or throw parties, the Meat prices are incredible.

Wine prices are very hard to beat.

Bulk batteries, tools, and well priced electronics.

I spend so much there I upgraded to the executive membership (another 55 bucks) and usually get at least 55 bucks back at the end of the year.
View Quote
Also this.

Costco wine saves us a lot of money. Especially on chateauneuf du Pape
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like Costco but I call it the $200 store. No matter matter how hard you try, you're not leaving without spending at least $200.
View Quote
I got out for $68 the other day..lowest ever.. I stopped in for lunch for the sole purpose of a $1.50 dog and drink. I told myself I will ONLY get the $1.50 dog and drink..... left with a pair of pants, bag of hardwood lump charcoal and a set of ammo cans
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Oh yeah you need a membership.

You can buy all the stuff you never knew you needed! And in case lots no less.
Some 8 years ago I bought some bars of soap I liked. Still have one bar left.

ETA I never got out for under $300. And sometimes it was twice that.
View Quote
Everyone needs 10lbs of cheese puffs...
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:41:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Definitely.

Never understood the internet stereotype of Costco only being good for large families.

You'll need to watch your impulse control, though, as the deals are abundant. There's a weird psychology that kicks in when you see something you like, pass on it, then it's gone... never to be seen again. Makes you tend to snag things up you don't really need. Out of fear you may never get the chance again.

I miss Costco. Our SINK family made much use of it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm SINK and I have a Sams membership (no Costco nearby).

If you do this it's worth your time to buy a FoodSaver and a Freezer.  

I buy all my fuel at Sam's.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:45:10 AM EDT
[#14]
It's worth it for my son's glasses alone. It's cheaper for me to buy them there and not bother with vision insurance.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, it's worth it to me, since I usually buy my tires, computers, and TVs from there.  And their $6 rotisserie chicken can't be beat.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:46:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Do it. We are Dinks and use Costco for everything from dog food to fresh produce. Their meat department is excellent as well.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd say it's worth it.
I'm single, and even though I don't shop there that often, with the membership costs I do a little better than breaking even over the course of a year - so if it's worth it to me then most certainly it should be worth it for two of you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Sigh, Costco is a lot worse than a LGS/Fun Show......You go in for the TP and leave with something you decide you can't live without. I won't even go in the store anymore.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd recommend the executive membership.  It's double, but you get rewards $ at the end of the year.

If your rewards amount doesn't cover the extra $ it cost they refund you and you revert to regular membership.

With the executive you can get the Costco visa which has additional rewards. I'd have to look, but I believe gas is 4% back using the Costco visa.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Yes, that describes out situation.  Get the cash back membership.  We nearly cover the membership fee with it each year.

Its worth it just for coffee.  Wait for a sale and stock up.  Save $5 on a bag thats already $5 cheaper than the grocery store.  12ish bags a year = $60.

Also you'll probably want a food saver.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#21]
[youtube]https://youtu.be/YCApeXCE0W8[/youtube]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#22]
In my experience, no.

I had a BJ's membership for a number of years. Hardly used it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In my experience, no.

I had a BJ's membership for a number of years. Hardly used it.
View Quote
Well, you come across as an expert on Costco, then, and your opinion is clearly based on in-depth experience.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:04:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Did you ask your husband?  
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Is this whole forum unaware that Costco is a left-wing owned company that's given millions to DNC candidates? Who's CEO is openly proud about being left wing?

That's why they were granted building permits in major urban areas long before Walmart.

Do Sam's Club instead, or just shop at Walmart.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Yes, it works for us.

If nothing else, their meat and produce is leaps and bounds better quality than you find at the other stores.  Doubly so for their seafood.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:09:04 PM EDT
[#27]
There are a ton of other things like batteries and lightbulbs that I stock up on for pennies compared to other places. Plus I think their meat department is one of the best short of going to a butcher.

I have also been known to pick up whole garbage can pizzas for parties and stuff for $10 each. The roasted chicken is awesome too.

For some of the larger items, I bought a lot of patio furniture and large screen tvs
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:10:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
yup, went in yesterday for like two things, came out at just under $300, and that was without going down the section with the flashlights and other cool crap.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Well, you come across as an expert on Costco, then, and your opinion is clearly based on in-depth experience.
View Quote
Well aren't you sensitive.

Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:16:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes... You'll thank me later.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yes, it's worth it to me, since I usually buy my tires, computers, and TVs from there.  And their $6 rotisserie chicken can't be beat.
View Quote
Ohh yeah. Rotisserie chicken is easy meals and great for bones, cartilage parts for chicken stock
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes.  Gasoline is about 30 cents per gallon less than most places around here.  Your membership will pay for itself quickly just buying that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Is this whole forum unaware that Costco is a left-wing owned company that's given millions to DNC candidates? Who's CEO is openly proud about being left wing?

That's why they were granted building permits in major urban areas long before Walmart.

View Quote
I put the money I save by shopping at Costco into ammo.. you happy?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:45:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
As if Walmart never made a deal with the devil?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Sam's Club to me was an upgraded Wally World.  Costco had higher class clientele and products.  Chicken is bigger too.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:03:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Try it for a year, then decide for yourself. It's only $50.

Good cheap produce. Get about 2x for the money vs normal grocery store.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#38]
We don't have kids, just the 2 of us.   We have the executive membership that includes an annual rebate.   We buy enough every year (gas is NOT included in the rebate) that the rebate covers the membership fee.

The only thing we DON'T buy @ Costco are individual loaves of bread (most costco bread is in bulk and we can't eat it all before it goes bad), and more exotic vegetables/herbs that they don't carry (cilantro, mint leaves, basil, green onion, cucumber, and a few others).

Costco is GREAT for everything else....from motor oil to meats....from rotisserie chicken to computers....from orange juice to office supplies...

ETA:  And as mentioned above -- BUT A FOODSAVER there, and then you can vacuum seal and freeze portion size servings of stuff you buy in bulk and can't use all right away.  Put your savings into guns & ammo to offset their politics

Also -- I bought my wife's wedding ring there.  If I ever eject, I'm returning it for a refund!

We are squarely between (2) that are both less than 10 minutes away.   We go at least 2x a month.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#39]
If you have a large dog and the Costco is relatively close to take advantage of the gas prices then it definitely is worth it, IME.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Even with 2 kids it's not worth it to us.  

Bargain shop, between Walmart, aldi and Amazon.  We eat healthy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:08:38 PM EDT
[#41]
We wondered if it would pay for us. We tried it after doing a lot of review and re-upped now for our third year.

As long as we buy or replace one bigger item (I have one of their Pitmaster Ceramic BBQ/smokers now) every now and again and save the cost of the membership, it pays.
Our closest one is 35 miles away. We go about 4-5 times a a year if we are around that area.

If we still had kids at home? Oh yeah....we wouldn't even think about it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Meh, I had it for a year as well as sams back in the 90s but I just don't get the appeal.

This is compounded by the two costcos we used having unbelievably shitty parking lots/traffic flow that makes it a hassle to get in and out.
Also there seems to always be too few cashiers so the checkout lines take forever.

That said I admit to not really latching on to the whole warehouse store concept anyway.

I just don't see the need to buy groceries, jewelry and a television at the same place.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If you have a large dog and the Costco is relatively close to take advantage of the gas prices then it definitely is worth it, IME.
View Quote
Yep.
That's one of the reasons it's worth it to me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Weren't you banned?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#45]
They don't sell guns.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:30:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes.  Spring for the executive membership because when you get your bonus check, it pays for the membership.  Also, the Kirkland branded stuff is as good if not better than brand name, and their OTC and Prescription RX prices are great.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#47]
I've been having a membership since they opened in New Orleans. Same situation back then, 2 people with zero kids. I also have a Sam's club membership.  I just like going to big box stores.

A case for 40 bottles of water is 2.99 (I drink 2-3 cases a week and do not like to use cups, so I can just take the bottle on the run or cap it where ever I am to prevent spillage).

I buy meat there every weekend. I bought ribeye's yesterday (USDA choice for 8.99/lb sometimes it's cheaper), bought some ground beef, and also some beef shank so I can make meals for the week.

I buy my toilet paper, and napkins along with trash bags and ziplock bags there in bulk.  I figure I can always use those products and I have plenty of space in my house to store it all.

Believe it or not, they have decent clothes, I currently LOVE the shorts I bought from them recently, they are cargo shorts that aren't bulky, all the pockets are flush with the pant and has zippers for all the pockets, they also stretch and are light weight.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Double income, and no kids. No you can't  afford the  $35 membership. Better put it in the 6th IRA that you own.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
No can do, buckaroo. You do realize the Hilldabeast was on Walmart's board of directors, right?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Yes.

while your intent is to save on gas (which you will), you can figure out what is worth it to buy in bulk.  Invest in a vacuum sealer and eBay for bulk rolls of vacuum bags.  I save the most money on meat.  I can buy a whole pork loin, NY strip, and a pack of individually packages chicken breasts for about $150.  I cut the loin into four chunks which yield about six individual chops a piece. I get about 14-16 steaks, and the chicken is typically about 8 packs which each contain 2 breasts.  I have two kids, so this will last me two to three months depending on what sort of plans are going on.  If that lasts you six months, you are definitely saving some money.

TP, paper towels, bottled water, laundry detergent and bar soap are all good buys that will last too.  If you make two trips a year buying the bulk items that fit your needs, plus gas savings, you will easily recoup your membership cost.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top