Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The hit to his man card will last forever
View Quote
A man card is earned with deeds.  Not given by daddy to a teenager in a way of a hot rod.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Buick Sedan, Pontiac grand am, Ford Taurus, chevy impala

Chevy colorado two door two wheel drive four cyl.

Ranger.  Same

Stick shift.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Old Camaro or Mustang.

Think Bumble Bee from Transformers (newer ones)
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/4/649/3229/39121614001_original.jpg

Shop around. There are still some "little old lady" cars from the 90s with low mileage and in good shape that'll put a lot of heavy steel around him as he's learning to drive. After a couple of years, he can upgrade to something more modern.
View Quote
This!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#5]
The types of cars you are looking for in that price range are more often than not a waste of money.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Lol, the only reason those cars seem to do better is because the metros that drive them actually take them in to have all the maintenance done. I've seen Chevys run 200,000 miles and never get an oil change in their life just a top off every now and then.

I've had several Fords that only needed brake pads and tires in 200k. Change the oil every 3k and and do regular maintenance and they will all last.
View Quote
I was working as a dealer tech 20 years ago, before there was a such thing as a metro. We had plenty of 200-400k cars come in for service. Why buy a shitty Chevy that only last 200k? Hondas and Toyotas just last and are very easy to work on. Sorry I kicked you in the feels. What I learned in those 20 years is buy Honda and Toyota. And this coming from a guy who started as a GM guy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#7]
So, any Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep is out.
Since they are owned by FCA.  An Italian controlled automobile manufacturer registered in the Netherlands with headquarters in London
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#8]
My son's a bit older, but I picked him up a 2004 Trailblazer with 120K miles from my mechanic for $2500.  He's put about 5k on it.

He's had to replace a starter and some bulbs so far, but he was very appreciative of the 4 WD during the winter snow storms. He had no trouble getting to work.

He pays for everything on the vehicle (gas, insurance, repairs). Takes good care of it, learned how to buff out small scratches in the paint,  opened another savings account to pre-budget potential repairs, and does or gets done preventative maintenance.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:32:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Saturn Vue, Chevy Malibu, Ford Focus, Ford Escape, and Pontiac Vibe have been potential candidates so far.
View Quote

if you are trying to buy Merican' by both company ownership and actual build location....My Focus is Mexican car and the Pontiac Vibe is a Toyota Matrix.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#10]
A Ford Crown Victoria is the correct answer. Cheap to buy, plenty of parts available, cheap to fix, and enough steel to keep him safe when he wrecks it.

It's the perfect first car.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Some old Chevy or Ford truck.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
go with an early 90's chevy/geo prizim. that way you get the Toyota reliability with an American badge.
View Quote
That is what my DD is.  '99 Prizm with 106k.  Raise the hood and all the plastic pieces say Toyota on them.  Also has side air bags and a timing chain and not a belt.  

I got it as it was a good deal at the right time not because it is a domestic badged vehicle.  

If I was OP I would be looking for a Ford Ranger. I wouldn't do the Cherokee as I have seen too many valvetrain, head gasket issues with one's in the $3k range.  They are good vehicles but in my opinion they are like any other older Jeep.  Nickel and dime you to death.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

if you are trying to buy Merican' by both company ownership and actual build location....My Focus is Mexican car and the Pontiac Vibe is a Toyota Matrix.
View Quote
Thanks, I had no idea. Seriously though, I'm well aware of all of this. Don't care. You're not telling me anything I haven't already heard a million times. I buy what I buy because of my job, and it's well worth it to me. Maybe someday when I retire I'll buy a foreign make vehicle, but it ain't happening now.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:50:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

He's making fun of you, bruh.
View Quote
He's sure trying.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Corolla or camry as both are easy to work on.

View Quote
Work on? Why would either of those Japanese Miracle Machines need to be worked on?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Both of my sons got 1989 Ford F150s.

Both of which they paid for, one was $500 which he paid for and the other was from my FIL for my other son helping him restore a 1932 Hord A model truck.

A man needs to know how to drive a truck and it easier when you send them out to pick up mulch or dirt.

I told them if they want something nicer get a job and save your money.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#17]
A Chrysler T&C / Caravan and a push mower.  Make sure you tell him you want all the money paid back in 12 months.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thanks, I had no idea. Seriously though, I'm well aware of all of this. Don't care. You're not telling me anything I haven't already heard a million times. I buy what I buy because of my job, and it's well worth it to me. Maybe someday when I retire I'll buy a foreign make vehicle, but it ain't happening now.
View Quote
You missed the point. Im not giving you shit. Im trying to help you meet YOUR criteria. Did i misunderstand that you want both a made in USA vehicle made by USA company? in other words not a Honda made in Ohio or a Ford made in Mexico?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#19]
My first car was a new Red 84 Pontiac Fierro with a sunroof.

saved my money $3000 for a down payment on it.

price was $8900 in 1984 and I made payments on the rest.

my Junior year I worked all summer digging foundations for a buddy's dads construction company and bought a 1973 Roadrunner for $1700.

Also bought a 78 VW Scirracoo for $1000 and about died when I lost control of it being a ass on a old dirt road lost control and went end over end down a 60ft bank
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Your best bet american made vehicle is a foreign owned one who sources and builds in the USA like Toyota, Kia, Hyuandai, Honda.

You can pick up an early 2000s econocar with over 150k miles for cheap and not constantly need money dumped into it like its domestic made in mexico brethren.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:05:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You missed the point. Im not giving you shit. Im trying to help you meet YOUR criteria. Did i misunderstand that you want both a made in USA vehicle made by USA company? in other words not a Honda made in Ohio or a Ford made in Mexico?
View Quote
Prefer a domestic make assembled domestically, yes.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm in the same situation, young kid getting his first vehicle. I'm going to go with a F150 or Toyota Tacoma/Tundra.  If the kiddo has an accident or someone hits him, I want him to survive.  

Right or wrong, I want something bigger than a Civic etc.   I also plan to spend about 15K for it, maybe more.  I might be spoiling him a little, but he is all I have.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:10:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm in the same situation, young kid getting his first vehicle. I'm going to go with a F150 or Toyota Tacoma/Tundra.  If the kiddo has an accident or someone hits him, I want him to survive.  

Right or wrong, I want something bigger than a Civic etc.   I also plan to spend about 15K for it, maybe more.  I might be spoiling him a little, but he is all I have.
View Quote
If it were up to the wife, he'd be getting a newer vehicle. I want him to have the beater experience.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:11:43 PM EDT
[#24]
CVPI
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:14:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My first car was a new Red 84 Pontiac Fierro with a sunroof.

saved my money $3000 for a down payment on it.

price was $8900 in 1984 and I made payments on the rest.

my Junior year I worked all summer digging foundations for a buddy's dads construction company and bought a 1973 Roadrunner for $1700.

Also bought a 78 VW Scirracoo for $1000 and about died when I lost control of it being a ass on a old dirt road lost control and went end over end down a 60ft bank
View Quote
I bet you're fun to party with.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#26]
imho, any $3000 corolla, civic or jap car like that will be way better than any saturn, chevy, or ford for $3000.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Take a look at the 4.0 jeep Cherokee and grand Cherokee. They can be found for the 1.5 to 3k budget you have. Can take a beating. And after your son tears it up you can use it as a winter beater.
View Quote
This is a great suggestions, especially for MO.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:21:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ford Ranger, manual
View Quote
Good choice. Cheapest to insure, maintain and he can haul stuff.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Bought my son a nice Ford Explorer for a really good price, very nice price. Good thing that it had a good BB value or insurance wouldn't have covered the total loss of what I paid for it a week later. He rolled it on a dirt road heading up a mountain, crushed the roof in. Luckily everybody was wearing seat belts, only one person needed a couple stitches to the head.

After that we used some college money and bought a beater Honda Civic for $1k that he drove for a few years.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ford Ranger, manual
View Quote
Perfect first vehicle.
I just picked up an 02 for my son with 70k miles on it for $3k.  He learned to drive it in a couple hours.
We drive almost daily as I pick him up from baseball practice so he can practice.
He gets his license next month.

We got my daughter a 99 Pontiac Grand Prix for $3k that has been an awesome as well.

The deal was they had to pay 10% and we would cover insurance and gas as long as they keep their grades up.
So far all has worked well.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Prefer a domestic make assembled domestically, yes.
View Quote
Okay. I believe some Focus' are domestically assembled. So if thats still one of your picks just check the vin number for its assembly point. I like my 2012 Ford Focus and i expect US assembled ones to be just as nice. You may want to consider a Ford Fusion as well. My exwife has a 2010 Ford Fusion SE and its been a great car.

I kinda wish i had bought a 2010-2012 Ford Fusion Sport 3.5L AWD instead of my Focus.

You can get 2010 Fusions for close to your price point
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:29:44 PM EDT
[#32]
A manual is a good thing for a new driver.
The main thing is their phone will not be in their hand, so this limits a distraction.
My son feels as if he is part of the vehicle and really has to pay attention while driving, more so than in an automatic.

He really has to pay attention while taking off as well as down shifting when slowing down & coming to a stop.

Manuals are historically a little cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I got both my sons Rangers.
View Quote
This.

I put up half the money and my son got a pair of non-running '97s and we found a $150 engine on Craigslist.

He got the least screwed up one on the road and has been driving it for 9 months.

We later picked up a '94 that needed a transmission and an exhaust (and some other stuff.) and he's about got that one sorted.

We recently got a '96 that had been barrel rolled on the interstate but got the engine to turn over and it has all the parts necessary to get the other '97 on the road.

It's been a great experience for him and he's able do engine swaps and clutch jobs without my help now.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:34:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ford Ranger, manual
View Quote
This.  Bonus is he can't be driving a bunch of other kids around.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Chevy Beretta
Chevy Lumina
GEO Storm

Just like OP's fantasy list, these cars will need some work.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#36]
80s GM pickup.  Fullsize better, S10 if you really want to punish him.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
imho, any $3000 corolla, civic or jap car like that will be way better than any saturn, chevy, or ford for $3000.
View Quote
I'm trying to compare my old Saturn Ion that has never broken down, has only ever required routine maintenance, shows no signs of slowing down, gets 35mpg and probably worth only $1500-$2000 at the most with a Jap car of the same year, class and price range, and wondering what would make the Jap car "way better". I paid $6000 cash for that car in 2008 when it was 4 years old. If it took a shit tomorrow I'd consider that some of the best money I've ever spent in my life. That car has saved me untold amounts of money and headache over the years. What more do you want from an economy daily driver vehicle?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Ford Ranger or used cop car.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:40:47 PM EDT
[#39]
reading only a few lines of FP...jeep Cherokee sport...my sons learner and I still drive it...a few million in the junk yards
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Did anyone say Ford Ranger yet?

Used cop car mentioned above is an interesting idea. Would've been much more useful than the Ranger I had when I was 16. Roomier back seat...
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#41]
I love these threads. Muh patriotism!!!

Good luck with $3k worth of domestic garbage. 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:49:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This needs a Trump "wrong" gif.

My oldest is 13 & has almost $2,000 saved up already.

He's getting something he can work on & learn to fix.

It's so easy now with OBD & a smart phone to at least get an idea of what is wrong.

I bought my first car at 15 & worked on it for a year until I was 16 & could drive it myself. I paid $600 for a 66 Nova. Never should have sold that car.
View Quote
I feel the same way about my Model A.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Toyota Camry has more US assembly/parts than any other car.  That includes anything made by Chrysler/GM/Ford.   Just saying.

Would you consider a new Ford Ranger (they do make them) an American car?

ETA:  The post below is right.  Assuming it has to be a big 3 automaker for some reason, the Jeep Cherokee is the correct answer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Cherokee with the 4.0

Cheap, reliable, and he won't need nor want a new vehicle any time soon assuming you don't get a total shitbox

If I ever have a kid I'll buy him his first vehicle and pay his bills too OMGWTFBBQ
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#45]
My first vehicle was a station wagon. It was awesome.

RIP The Beast
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I got both my sons Rangers.  
View Quote
THIS

OP lives in a low rust state, so 1990s and 2000s model vehicles will still be solid today.  A 2000s or maybe even 1990s Ranger would be a great first vehicle for a mechanically inclined youngster and manual transmissions were very common on Rangers in those years.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#47]
DO NOT buy him a crown vic unless your intention is to cement his reputation as a socially awkward cop wannabe. Might as well send him to school in 5.11's and a photographer vest
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Pfft. Make the kid earn and buy his own ride. Getting a free shitty ride isn't going to be nearly as a valuable lesson as spending your last dime on one. Parents these days. 
View Quote
If he's done well in school and in home life, buy him a used car. School and chores is his job, he deserves something if he's done well. That said, he should pay for upkeep and pay/ help pay for insurance. The car also makes for great leverage for bad behavior (tell him about revocation of car privileges for fucking up UP FRONT so he understands). You'll get more than a few benefits from his mobility. Errand running, etc. As part of the bargain. Giving him the car allows you to place stioulations and keep control. His buying it himself leaves you with no leverage or moral high ground.

That said, if you can find an older nissan pickup (pre-2005 body), he'll be driving that through college for cheap.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:10:59 PM EDT
[#49]
yep........Pontiac Vibe.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#50]
First generation Dodge/Plymouth Neon. Then buy him a set of tools.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top