Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#1]
First time I've heard the expression "they eat glass".... What am I missing?   Rhymes with 'they suck ass'...?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:56:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First time I've heard the expression "they eat glass".... What am I missing?   Rhymes with 'they suck ass'...?
View Quote
The Scar has an odd recoil impulse that damages optics.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ahh.  Makes a LOT more sense now.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
They have a reputation for breaking even high end optics. Not sure how prolific the problem is as I do not own one, but it's a common complaint about them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Xcr fan here

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#6]
tavor
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:17:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I thought that was just the .308 SCAR-17, not the SCAR-16.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I've shot the Benelli MR1 - actually a pretty sweet shooting gun and the one I shot was dead nuts accurate and reliable.

Priced it's self out of the market and lacked tactical styling and the acceptance that most people want.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I love them all.  ARs have gotten boring as shit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Robinson Arms M96

Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorta off topic and not a hijack.

I want a FightLite/ARES SCR lower and just can't find one.

I wish there were more options for a rifle with a conventional stock that takes AR uppers and uses AR mags.

Obligatory image:

Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Cost and availability are the two main factors.  SKS were cheap and have inherent design flaws.  Lame safety, shitty sights, short stock with poor ergos, inability in most cases to take a detachable magazine.  Sold like hot cakes.  (I like the SKS myself-stock config)

AK-47/M etc.. have in general more flaws than the guns listed in OP.  Sells well in US market for many of the same reasons as the SKS, at least initially.  Its also a classic firearm.

If the SCAR sold for less then $800 you'd see them everywhere.  No matter how many high-end optics they eat.  If the SCAR sold for less than $500, gunshops would have racks of them.  This can apply to the ACR (spotted on rare occasion) or the XCR (never seen in the wild)

I've always wanted an AUG.  It would be on my short list for shooting 5.56 outside the AR-15 platform.  Suped-up AK in 5.56 would be the other (like Galil ACE)
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As a Robinson M96 owner all I can say is fuck Robinson!

They abandoned M96 owners in favor of the XCR

I don't mind that all the promised conversions never happened but I am pissed that all the spare parts have dried up!

I'll never buy anything from them again (unless they start selling M96 parts, then I'll buy some of them)
View Quote
FN did the same with FNP owners. 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Desert Tech MDR never even arrived, hasn't had a chance to poof yet.  That rifle release is rapidly closing in on clusterfuck status. Steyr decided it was better to sell AUG's at a price high enough to kill the aftermarket and make it unlikely that the casual shooter ever sees one in the wild.  MSAR shit the bed with the faulty mags and other small problems.  

Tavors are hanging in there, seem to be holding onto their buzz and selling pretty well.  The aftermarket is warming up and they get seen a lot on TV, in the movies.
View Quote
Luckily, my MSAR got the mag catch upgrade and I got a good supply of spare parts including a spare stock. MSAR shit the bed because of shitty management. 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good list, but the P90/PS90 & FiveseveN should be added.

Even the Secret Service is replacing the P90s.

In 15yrs, the 5.7x28 may not be around. Who knows. I have a handful of .351 SLR cartridges that were all the rage 100years ago & my grandpa said he thought the rifle would never go away.
View Quote
Still have my PS90 SBR. Love it. Hope the ammo never goes the way of the dodo bird. 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
interesting that the SU-16 is mentioned

17-20yr old me wanted one of them circa 2002-2005 because I couldn't afford an AR back then and they just looked neat

if only Kel-Tec's quality control wasn't a total crap shoot I'd probably buy one in an odd way to say that I finally got one
View Quote
I finally got one recently. It is a fun little rifle for what it is. Bought it used for $300. Light, handy, and works. It isn't an AR-15 but damn if it doesn't put a smile on my face when I fold that stock and fire it. 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't mind that all the promised conversions never happened but I am pissed that all the spare parts have dried up!

I'll never buy anything from them again (unless they start selling M96 parts, then I'll buy some of them)
View Quote
I always thought the M96 was cool.  Never had the cash to buy one though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I always wanted a Masada/ACR until Bushy wrecked the roll out. Another one that always tickled my fancy is the FNAR .308. They had a burst of popularity around here post-Sandy Hook when AR platform stuff was out of sight expensive. I think they are completely discontinued now.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:52:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Still want a SCAR or two
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:58:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Simple answer?  Price pointing.  Every one of those started out at over $2K when a TOP AR was in the $1500 range
View Quote
Not the XCR. It was between 1200 and 1600 when it first came out. Even now, with all of the upgrades, it still starts under 2000.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#21]
The Xi was the weirdest of them all.  Super hyped, sig even had that stupid video of a civi elite CIA looking guys doing a raid in a AZ style desert washout doing conversions in the middle of a firefight lol.  Hit the market for a blink of an eye, then gone.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SIG fucked 556 owners.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Still have my PS90 SBR. Love it. Hope the ammo never goes the way of the dodo bird. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good list, but the P90/PS90 & FiveseveN should be added.

Even the Secret Service is replacing the P90s.

In 15yrs, the 5.7x28 may not be around. Who knows. I have a handful of .351 SLR cartridges that were all the rage 100years ago & my grandpa said he thought the rifle would never go away.
I agree, the FN P90 especially as an SBR is fun. But that's not what you started this thread about--FN P90s and even 5.7 pistols are fun. They encompass a lifetime of fun if you reload.

M1 carbines are great fun, but the really cheap ammo dried up & the rifles aren't as cheap.

I bet GyroJets were literally a blast and even were in a Bond flick, but they didn't last.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#24]
XCR problem was and is the owner. He made a rifle, M-96, then ceased making it to push the XC. Fine, but he even quit making the parts for the M-96. After that and his political BS a lot of people were turned off.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't forget the ARX100 from Beretta. Folding stock, ambi everything, quick change barrels. Only barrel that ever came out for it was a SBR 5.56.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#26]
I would agree with most of that list except for the SCAR 16, they sell fairly well and have never had an issue with damaging optics.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#27]
SIG completely fucked the pooch with the 556 / Xi.  All they had to do was replicate the Swiss made 55x series and offer it with either the Swiss magazines or M4 magazines. Instead they created the cheaply made canted rail poor quality f'd up stock 556 and then folllowed it up with the Xi.   Atleast they got the MCX and MPX right.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd still buy a Tavor if I could find one for a decent price.  SCAR (5.56 variant), ACR, XCR, et al, I don't care about.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
XCR problem was and is the owner. He made a rifle, M-96, then ceased making it to push the XC. Fine, but he even quit making the parts for the M-96. After that and his political BS a lot of people were turned off.
View Quote
This is so true. I had a M-96 and really wanted it to be THE GUN, was ready to get every option and have THE ONE GUN. Not only did it get abandoned by Robinson, the recoil spring crapped out and I could not get a replacement. Ended up buying several springs from McMaster Carr and cutting one of them down just so the gun would function. Will never purchase another Robinson product.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#30]
I personally really want a SCAR 17 but the price is just not what I want to fork over yet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm kicking myself for not buying an MR1.  I procrastinated too long and then then the SAFE Act passed and then they discontinued it.

It was legal under SAFE with the Hunter stock option.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

To be fair, SIG did offer the 551A1, but I think they sold very few because picky assholes complained that it wouldn't take AR mags.  So I think they stopped selling it.

I got one, and I really like it.  
View Quote
Id buy a 551A1. I check GB from time to time but they are rare and or expensive!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Simple answer?  Price pointing.  Every one of those started out at over $2K when a TOP AR was in the $1500 range
View Quote
Absolutely the truth. I wanted an XCR and ACR badly. When I saw the price I erased those guns from my mind.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#35]
My SCAR 16 does not "eat glass". Aimpoint PRO on mine with over 1K rounds, still 100%.

Recently picked up a Sig556. Just got done running 200 rounds through it. Flawless and very accurate.

I use to have a FS2000 and immediately sold it. I did not like it at all.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#36]
That Kel Tec was a giant pile of shit.  If AKs belong in the trash can, they sit on top of Kel Tecs that are already there.

Guns with caliber conversions are hardly utilized that way.  Conversion kits cost half the price of the rifle and people generally stick with shooting whatever caliber they like, or is cheaper.

ARs rule the roost because they are ubiquitous, cheap, simple, reliable, ergonomic, parts everywhere and other guns at twice the cost don't do many things better.  Some other offerings have folding stocks or are in bullpup config, but these are usually heavier and a 16" AR isn't exactly a huge rifle to begin with.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:48:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Luckily, my MSAR got the mag catch upgrade and I got a good supply of spare parts including a spare stock. MSAR shit the bed because of shitty management. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Desert Tech MDR never even arrived, hasn't had a chance to poof yet.  That rifle release is rapidly closing in on clusterfuck status. Steyr decided it was better to sell AUG's at a price high enough to kill the aftermarket and make it unlikely that the casual shooter ever sees one in the wild.  MSAR shit the bed with the faulty mags and other small problems.  

Tavors are hanging in there, seem to be holding onto their buzz and selling pretty well.  The aftermarket is warming up and they get seen a lot on TV, in the movies.
I finally had the cash put aside and was ready to pull the plug on an MSAR.....and they went Tits Up    can't win
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
tavor
View Quote
Where IWI did right, is they didn't make the gun unobtanium, like many other small companies did with their designs.  Tavor also had several years in military service and being exported before the civi version hit the US.  And they made it from the ground up to take STANAG mags.  For a bullpup, it's easily the most common rifle I see at the range or being sold.  I love mine.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#39]
I'd still buy an RA XCR.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Not the XCR. It was between 1200 and 1600 when it first came out. Even now, with all of the upgrades, it still starts under 2000.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought the original MSRP was in the $2100 range.  Either way,  still too rich for me at the time
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#41]
The fs2000 is a very underrated gun.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:53:40 PM EDT
[#42]
the FN BAR heinosity
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Su16 was the shit. Need to buy another one . Sold mine in 2013 for 300 more then i paid
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#44]
And none of the listed guns does anything any better than a AR15 but cost a lot more money.
Daewoo's were good guns and sold because they were cheaper than a AR.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd say the ACR and SCAR are still well known, just expensive which keeps them from being more popular. 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#46]
After shooting one the XCR was on my list and the Sig 55X was off the list.
I also wish I had got a Saiga 12 back when they were ~$200.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:06:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
They have a reputation for breaking even high end optics. Not sure how prolific the problem is as I do not own one, but it's a common complaint about them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a problem typically associated with the SCAR-H, not the SCAR-L, and hell, the semi-only SCAR 17S doesn't seem to eat optics as often. Never heard of the SCAR 16S breaking any optics.

The main complaint is that the full-auto SCAR-H destroys IR designators. Those fuckers are really expensive, they cost more than the rifle does. Elcan and ACOG scopes last awhile, but sometimes they shit the bed.(ARMS mounts ain't worth a fuck) EoTechs broke all the time until they were hardened against the recoil; even so, they tend to break fairly often compared to everything else.

The ACR has three main problems; 1) It's expensive, especially compared to the suggested MSRP before it was released. $1300 to $1400 is about average right now for the enhanced version.

2) No aftermarket support. That means no caliber change kits that were promised, it took them years to bring different 5.56 barrels to the table, and they have yet to offer any of Remington's upgrades.

3) It was handed off to fucking Shrubmaster and Remington. This is the ACR's biggest problem.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
What are augs going for?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The fs2000 is a very underrated gun.
View Quote
Agreed want one, but just can't justify the cash
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
"2 weeks".... fuck Alex
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top