Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/22/2017 11:14:28 AM EDT
What's the 5 shot group like on an M109 155mm gun?  Is it repeatable enough that they make small adjustments after each shot to pattern an area, or just keep firing in a general area?

The thought of the Nork arty looking at S. Korea made me wonder.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#1]
it walks right in just fine, its awesome to see it
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
it walks right in just fine, its awesome to see it
View Quote
I bet!

If you had (5) inert projectiles, and launched them all from the same elevation and bearing, I wonder how they would pattern?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, put it this way---with many modern munitions you just have to be semi-close.  And by semi-close, you can still miss by a FUCKING LOT and kill lots of people.

I got 3 rules in life:

1) I don't fuck with the devil
2) I don't do tag teams with blood relatives
3) I don't fuck around with red legs or artillery.  In fact, I try not to be around that shit at all.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you mean "accurate" as in being able to hit a specific target? Or "precise" as in hitting the same spot over and over again, as in MOA groups?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#5]
We used to put out spot fires on the ranges with 60mm Mortar fire.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#6]
somewhere within 16 to 66 feet.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Depends on the skill of the crew and the observer. Arty is more "accuracy by volume" than a precision weapon when you're talking about unguided shells.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Considering how much an artillery piece moves when fired, I doubt you can hit the same spot on repeated fire without some adjustment.

However,  I'd imagine that the blast radius of a 155 artillery round is such that however much the point of impact is off, the target will still be within the effective kill zone.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:31:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do you mean "accurate" as in being able to hit a specific target? Or "precise" as in hitting the same spot over and over again, as in MOA groups?
View Quote
Both really.  

The comment about putting out fires with 60mm's answers it pretty well.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:33:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Depends on the round and artillery piece, but a round about general figure for unguided rounds are within 25meters. Generally if you have all the data for the firing solution and your spotter gave you a good grid, you will be close, the spotter then calls in any corrects and you fire for effect.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Considering how much an artillery piece moves when fired, I doubt you can hit the same spot on repeated fire without some adjustment.

However,  I'd imagine that the blast radius of a 155 artillery round is such that however much the point of impact is off, the target will still be within the effective kill zone.
View Quote
Was wondering that too.  Do they kinda settle in after a while and repeat?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
You would be wrong. The legs, tracks etc. (depending on the piece) don't really move under firing. There's recoil systems built into the weapon that allow the barrel etc. to fly backward with shocks that transmit the impulse in a much more controlled way into the chaise and ground. There's also huge muzzle breaks... Don't stand in blast area Echo unless you want to die. (left and right area's of the muzzle, the blast from the muzzle break can kill)

ETA: The better your data, the more accurate the first POI will be. (META / meteorological data, knowing the actual MV for your specific howitzer etc.)
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:38:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Just finished a book Last Stand Tin Can Sailors which involved naval artillery...moving floating cannons shooting at moving targets using mechanical computers back in the 1940s. They didn't seem to have a lot of problems walking the shells in.

Using modern cannons, modern computers, modern ammunition, I would not want to be on the receiving end.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#14]
The first round?  Who knows where that might hit, but once you start calling adjustments, they are extremely good at making them.

I would say they could easily hit with in 20 (SWAG) or less meters of a given target at a range of many thousand meters.

A smart arty guy will probably know/do the math to get a MOA on a typical arty engagement.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Naval Gunfire during WWII was amazing sophisticated.   When they pulled the "trigger" a gyroscope connected to a gadget wouldn't   "fire" until the precise time for the ship to be level the instant the round left the Barrell.
View Quote
I always wondered how they did that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Well... it's been my experience that friendly fire is far more accurate than enemy fire.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Back in the mid 70s the HHB survey section went to a couple 0f OPs with theodolites instead of the standard M2 aiming circles and picked out a piece of junk in the impact area. IIRC it was a fucked up Jeep.

Base piece, one round. Fire for effect.

The guns were miles away and the FDC and Metro guys did their jobs as well as the surveyors.

Direct hit.

Remember, this was in the 70s.

I would imagine they could probably light a kitchen match at 10 miles today.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well... it's been my experience that friendly fire is far more accurate than enemy fire.
View Quote
You're damned straight.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Was wondering that too.  Do they kinda settle in after a while and repeat?
View Quote
it helps of the gun is already registered.

"settling" is an on-going process for a 105
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You would be wrong. The legs, tracks etc. (depending on the piece) don't really move under firing. There's recoil systems built into the weapon that allow the barrel etc. to fly backward with shocks that transmit the impulse in a much more controlled way into the chaise and ground. There's also huge muzzle breaks... Don't stand in blast area Echo unless you want to die. (left and right area's of the muzzle, the blast from the muzzle break can kill)

ETA: The better your data, the more accurate the first POI will be. (META / meteorological data, knowing the actual MV for your specific howitzer etc.)
View Quote
that's not inaccurate, but it helps if you have real dirt under the gun.  sand, not so much
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just finished a book Last Stand Tin Can Sailors which involved naval artillery...moving floating cannons shooting at moving targets using mechanical computers back in the 1940s. They didn't seem to have a lot of problems walking the shells in.

Using modern cannons, modern computers, modern ammunition, I would not want to be on the receiving end.
View Quote
triple seven fire is scary-accurate
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Depends on the projectile.

M
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Depends on the projectile.

M982 has a minimum CEP of 16 feet (5 metres) at 25 miles. GPS and fjns do the work. Think mini JDAM without the plane.

You can drop them within 100 m of friendly troops, though those troops won't be friendly toward you if you do.

Now the NORKOR arty is good to minute of peninsula 50% of the time.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm glad to hear we finally have the 777 gunships operational.  

Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Our Counter Battery is the shit if what i was told is true.

Many Nork guns will never fire a 2nd shot,
if they get off a first.

Even the guns in tunnels will be fucked if we are using drones to pinpoint their real time movements. We must have spent some of the last 60 years mapping the Nork positions. 
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#27]
With a spotter walking it in and calling a fire for effect.

Put it this way... it's accurate enough.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Both really.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Both really.  

Pretty much this.

As long as the data from your observers is good and no one in the FDC or on the line transposes any numbers you'll get rounds where you need them.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I would think that the use of an artillery battery and the overlap of blasts will easily cover any inaccuracy of the individual gun, and they can keep it up all day.

a barrage by well-trained crews is devastating. Remember the line from We Were Soldiers, when the NVA general asks his subordinate's opinion of the American artillery?
the answer was "It is accurate and continuous".

as for the Norks, how accurate do you need to be when your target is a whole city?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Our Counter Battery is the shit if what i was told is true.

Many Nork guns will never fire a 2nd shot,
if they get off a first.

Even the guns in tunnels will be fucked if we are using drones to pinpoint their real time movements. We must have spent some of the last 60 years mapping the Nork positions. 
View Quote
It calculates the arc and original location right?

Any other countries have that?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Accurate enough to watch them stack illumination rounds on top of each other. AFG
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#33]
When I was a FO we learned how and practiced calling in rounds on a moving target.  Arty can be pretty accurate.  And there are laser guided arty rounds.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 3:05:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What's the 5 shot group like on an M109 155mm gun?  Is it repeatable enough that they make small adjustments after each shot to pattern an area, or just keep firing in a general area?

The thought of the Nork arty looking at S. Korea made me wonder.
View Quote

I was enlisted as a forward observer in the Army, and am an Artillery Officer in the Marine Corps.

If you have good data, the guns are solidly set in their positions (not the first round fired after moving to a new position with wet ground for example) and there isn't something wonky going on with the charges, you can be very accurate.  Generally if you are on target you can fire many, many rounds without changing anything.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#35]
All i know is that if I say repeat on the radio artillery will magically appear out of no where and hit me wherever I am in the world.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 3:32:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It calculates the arc and original location right?

Any other countries have that?
View Quote
Counter battery fire? We don't have a monopoly on that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#37]
During a live fire at Ft. Bragg, a 155mm crew fired a couple rounds (2, maybe 3) with the gun elevated.  They then laid/dropped the barrel down, fired a couple more and all rounds landed on the target at the same time.

Seemed impressive to a non-gunner.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 4:05:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Bracketing. How does it work?  
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#39]
As long as the USA maintains air superiority I believe artillery is a fairly safe job. You can practically setup a fire base from the safety of HQ right? It's pretty damn impressive how far they can shoot. Rail guns are going to make it even more accurate and devastating.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 5:51:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Depends on the round and artillery piece, but a round about general figure for unguided rounds are within 25meters. Generally if you have all the data for the firing solution and your spotter gave you a good grid, you will be close, the spotter then calls in any corrects and you fire for effect.
View Quote
Expressing that in MOA...

Max range of 155 towed gun is about 24km. That's 26,200 yards.
Impact within 25 meters of point of aim. 25 meters is about 1000 inches.

1 MOA at 24km is 272 inches. So if the gun can hit with 25 meters of its POA at 24km it's shooting about 3.6 MOA. Considering the range, the effects of changing wind over that distance and how relatively unstable a towed gun is compared to a target rifle with a bedded stock and a barrel that doesn't recoil, I'd say it's pretty damn good accuracy. I wouldn't expect a bolt action rifle with a moving barrel and a non bedded stock to shoot any better.

Somebody better check my math. I'm not too good at math on saturdays
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#41]
This thread needs more Excaliber, GMLRS and videos

GMLRS Alternative Warhead Engineer & Manufacturing Development Phase Test & Evaluation

Select proper airburst for the win.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

1 MOA at 24km is 272 inches. So if the gun can hit with 25 meters of its POA at 24km it's shooting about 3.6 MOA. Considering the range, the effects of changing wind over that distance and how relatively unstable a towed gun is compared to a target rifle with a bedded stock and a barrel that doesn't recoil, I'd say it's pretty damn good accuracy. I wouldn't expect a bolt action rifle with a moving barrel and a non bedded stock to shoot any better.

View Quote
33meter kill radius. It doesn't need to hit it's target like a small boolit does. 
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Thread needs some more bfgs.

Best HOWITZER FIRING compilation EVER! (Superb HOWITZER sound & impact vision! US MILITARY POWER!)
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
During a live fire at Ft. Bragg, a 155mm crew fired a couple rounds (2, maybe 3) with the gun elevated.  They then laid/dropped the barrel down, fired a couple more and all rounds landed on the target at the same time.

Seemed impressive to a non-gunner.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#45]
We had haj with a truck and a mortar in the bed. The little shit would pop three rounds at our base and haul ass. Well he parked just a little too close to our FOB and we sent in a ten digit.
The 155's hit the fucking truck! It was amazing to watch them fuck that grove up.
String pullers might not be the best we got, but their smite button is pretty fucking effective.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:45:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maxr range with towed 155 nowdays is northward of 30km, the old M114 pig was 24km.

Tire stacks as targets at 22km are no big deal to hit with a first round, IF it's the base piece and already registered, and FDC is fed good data.
Right off of lay, 25m is a standard, but things tighten up once the spades seat.

Laying down a nice tight sheaf AROUND the target is all FDC calculating off of registration, as long as the crews are tight.

If needed, the old M198 could drop a Projo into a dumpster from 30km, and the 777 is a much better gun, with new generation Projos.

The old 101A1 always impressed me at direct fire. I'd not be surprised if the old things weren't a true MOA all day. Slapping old M151's with HEPT at 2km was stupid easy.

If going after the Nork arty positions, the data is already locked on, the guns registered, and guided projos as well as the old copperheads are available.
It will be a very short, ugly exchange.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#48]
I saw where they tested a GPS 155mm HE round, firing over the horizon.

They aimed the howitzer 15 degrees off to the right, and the shell landed within 9 meters of the point of aim.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

that's not inaccurate, but it helps if you have real dirt under the gun.  sand, not so much
View Quote
This is true, I made general statements regarding FA and not specifically the M109 as there are several 155mm howitzers still in service.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:54:25 PM EDT
[#50]
An artillery thread and I haven't seen RON yet. I haven't seen him post in a while.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top