Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/19/2017 10:53:31 AM EDT
Okay, I've seen this situation a million times, and I've seen a good bit of inconsistency in driver behavior.  I want to see what y'all think:

Blue car is turning right onto a side street.  Green car is turning left onto the same street.  Who gets to go first, and who has to wait?  The only signage is the stop sign at the tee for the side street traffic to stop.  (Yes, I know it's a hexagon.  It's built into MS Paint.)

Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Blue car.

ETA: 4511.42 Right-of-way rule when turning left.
(A) The operator of a vehicle, streetcar, or trackless trolley intending to turn to the left within an intersection or into an alley, private road, or driveway shall yield the right of way to any vehicle, streetcar, or trackless trolley approaching from the opposite direction, whenever the approaching vehicle, streetcar, or trackless trolley is within the intersection or so close to the intersection, alley, private road, or driveway as to constitute an immediate hazard.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Blue
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Right turn always has right of way unless otherwise signed.

Drives me fucking insane that in the past 5 years EVERYONE has forgotten this.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Turning left loses to turning right.

Also remember for the driver's exam, the great Meatwad once said, "Pedestrians have the right of way, unless...you IN the way."
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Left turn I think always yields to right turns. At least mostly
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:58:02 AM EDT
[#7]
My green brodozer is bigger. I win.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Blue car...
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:01:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Why would the blue car stop? Would the blue car stop for the green car if it was going straight?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone ever hear of a "Pittsburgh left" 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Is one of them a Jeep?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:05:14 AM EDT
[#13]
In that situation the blue car has right of way.
If there was a traffic light and green car had green arrow then blue would need to yield.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why would the blue car stop? Would the blue car stop for the green car if it was going straight?
View Quote
Because many of those types of intersections have YIELD signs for the blue car.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#15]
If you have to cross a lane of traffic to turn (barring stop sign, light, other traffic control device, etc) anyone coming the other way has the right of way.

Blue car, all day.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#17]
OP must live where there's a bunch of Indians.  I've lost count of how many times I've sat there in an intersection waiting for one of them to make their right hand turn so I can then make the left hand turn only to have them stop halfway through their turn and stare at me like they're wondering if I'm gonna turn.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Semantics, but an important distinction...in Texas, no vehicle is granted the right of way.  The law specifies when operators are required to Yield to others, but that places no privilege or right on the other vehicle.  One must always drive with due care for others on the roadway. Just because the green car is required to yield, does not mean that the blue car can "claim" the ROW and purposely crash into the green car if the red one fails to yield.

As a side note, if the blue car turns legally, the green car can turn into the left lane at the same time the blue car turns into the right lane.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:09:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Vehicle closest to the lane being entered always has right of way.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#20]
They should put a roundabout there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:12:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Brue car unless it has a yield sign.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#22]
San Luis Rd in Walnut Creek has that exact same layout.  The people behind the stop sign are expected to yield.   Sometimes there is a CHP motorcycle making sure they do it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#23]
From back in my day, the guy in the blue car has to roll his window down, stick his/her left arm out of the window, parallel to the roadway, then bend his arm from the elbow at a right angle straight up, showing his intent to turn right. The driver turning left has to roll his window down and put his arm out of the window parallel with the roadway indicating a turn to the left.

I don't see any arms in your picture.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:13:03 AM EDT
[#24]
As someone who was an auto claims adjuster with three years experience (I'm the guy you told what happened and decided if you got paid) I can tell you that in every state I handled (which was about 40/50) the blue car would have ROW given the diagram provided.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#25]
The driver turning left is almost always in the wrong even if the other driver is drunk.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Blue car has the right of way 9 times out of 10. I live near a high school that has that same exact situation as your paint, and there's a yield sign. I take the yield sign as meaning yield to kids not the retards turning left, so I don't yield for them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#27]
blue car
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#28]
BMW and Volvo has the right of way.  Never mind the law or if you're the blue car.  The Beemers and Volvo drivers own the road and how dare you slow them down with your right of way.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Georgia, this is true.  Most intersections do have "Yield" signs for the blue car, so the green car would go first.  No "Yield" sign, the blue car goes first.  Georgia is the only state that I know of that puts "Yield" signs out there like that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Thank you for the replies.  I have to agree with the majority.  Glad to see it.
When I'm the blue car, it pisses me off when the green car just comes barreling across as I'm just about to turn right, forcing me to slam on my brakes.

If I have a yield sign, it makes sense for me to have to wait, but there usually isn't one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Blue
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#32]
If there is no stop sign for blue at that corner, then blue has the ROW.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Anyone ever hear of a "Pittsburgh left" 
View Quote
Never heard it called that, but after looking it up, I've seen it from time to time.  Guy waiting to turn left at an intersection with a traffic light jumps the light and scoots left before oncoming traffic starts to move forward?  Yeah, I've seen it, and it's irritating.  I just hope for his sake that no one on the cross street is trying to speed through just after their light turns red.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
BMW and Volvo has the right of way.  Never mind the law or if you're the blue car.  The Beemers and Volvo drivers own the road and how dare you slow them down with your right of way.
View Quote
Escalade and Denali soccer moms on their phones trump beamer and volvo drivers err'day.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
In most question like this, the answer can be guessed by asking the question, "What will expedite traffic movement"?

In this case, the green car has to drive through two traffic lanes to complete the turn.  The blue car doesn't have to cross any.  Therefore, letting the blue car go first will move traffic faster , or expedite traffic movement better.
View Quote
The blue car, in its dedicated turn-only lane, isn't impeding traffic on the main road in either direction.  It can sit there all day long and not block traffic (until enough cars fill in behind it and eventually back up into the through lane).  The green car is a bottleneck on all through traffic in its lane until it completes the turn.

*I voted for the blue car having the right of way.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Blue

Here's the situation that I ran into the other day.  I'm the left turning Green car.  I'm waiting as there's a string of right turning 'blue' cars.  A left turning car at the stop sign decides it doesn't want to wait and proceeds to zip out and turn left in front of me.

I just watched them thinking "You impatient jackwagon".  Should I have been an asshole and moved forward to block their left turn leaving them stuck/blocking a lane of traffic?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They should put a roundabout there.
View Quote
I'm actually becoming a fan, as long as they are designed correctly.  I think I saw two stop signs when I was in England for two weeks, and everything went fine.
Roundabouts aside, most of our stop signs also need to be replaced with yield signs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Thank you for the replies.  I have to agree with the majority.  Glad to see it.
When I'm the blue car, it pisses me off when the green car just comes barreling across as I'm just about to turn right, forcing me to slam on my brakes.

If I have a yield sign, it makes sense for me to have to wait, but there usually isn't one.
View Quote
Get a car camera.  Proceed to intersection.

Watch for impending video revenue streaming in when you post the retarded driver on youtube.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Blue car has the ROW.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Who cares? Somebody hit the gas and fucking go. Stop staring at each other like it's a contest to get the other driver to blink. Take your hand off your dick and MAKE AN EFFORT.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#42]
The car with the most lug nuts has the right-of-way.  If cars are equivalent, vehicle turning right has ROW.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:52:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Blue car, if not otherwise indicated by signage. 
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Blue car.

Have wrote tons of tickets to the green car out of traffic crashes
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:02:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
This. Rule of thumb is that if you're crossing a lane, you yield to that lane regardless of turn signals.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Blue. Generally anyone crossing lanes must wait.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Blue car has the right of way 9 times out of 10. I live near a high school that has that same exact situation as your paint, and there's a yield sign. I take the yield sign as meaning yield to kids not the retards turning left, so I don't yield for them.
View Quote
A yield sign means you yield to traffic, someone turning left without a traffic signal would have the right of way to you and your traffic signal.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:06:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Blue car
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:08:31 PM EDT
[#50]
I seriously can't wait for auto driving cars. Not for me, for the yobs that didn't pay attention to learning this very basic stuff.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top