Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 4/18/2017 4:39:58 PM EDT
http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/2017/04/18/millennials-continue-to-fail-at-relationships-with-cushioning.html

Millennials have found a new way to sabotage relationships.

“Cushioning” is a newly coined dating term wherein a partner in a monogamous relationship still flirts with other people — so if their main relationship goes kaput, there’s a backup ready.

“I was seeing someone for a few months and it was going well, but it felt like the dust had started to settle a bit,” Anna, a cushioner who didn’t want to disclose her full name for personal reasons, told the Tab. “I still liked him, but wasn’t entirely sure I wanted him to be my boyfriend and was in limbo. Instead of talk about it, the rational thing to do was to go back on Tinder and find some more boys to chat to, just in case the current one fell through.”

Another cushioner, Lauren, said that she was still messaging lads while “hooking up” with her steady.

“It was always awkward when their names would light up my phone while I was sleeping over [my boyfriend’s] place, but I felt like I needed them as an insurance policy,” she told the Tab.

Meanwhile, Rosie believes cushioning lets her channel her neurosis on guys she’s not that interested in, while still keeping her cool with her main flame.

“When I really like a guy, I find a ‘B team’ guy to keep on the side to channel my crazy,” Rosie told the Tab. “I go on dates with him before I go out with ‘A team,’ literally as a practice round.”

Cushioning is the most recent term young people have come up with to articulate petty dating practices instead of communicating like rational adults.

Previous trends have included “ghosting,” where people gradually stop responding to messages and then disappear on their romantic interests, and “breadcrumbing,” where singles continue to leave traces of hope for dating prospects that they’re not actually that interested in.

F'ing millennials.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#1]
LOL!  They invented a new word for women.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Let's not sugar coat it. Every girl I've met was a cushioner.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#3]
This is new?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#4]
We used to call that not being exclusive.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#5]
F2PNI.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is new?
View Quote
Women have been branch swinging for millions of years.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:46:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Most women are like monkeys, they won't let go of one branch until they have a firm grip on another.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#8]
funny, back in the day we just called them whores 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:46:29 PM EDT
[#9]
This has been going on since tinder was some something you used to make a fire to roast the mastadon you just speared to death for supper.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like a gym girlfriend I once had.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#12]
One of the very few pieces of advice my father gave me was the monkey-vine theory.

Picture a monkey swinging from vine to vine in the jungle.

The monkey doesn"t let go of one vine until it has a firm grasp already on another vine.

EDIT:  beat, several times

My father is a 1935 model who dated in the 1950s and again the 1970s once my parents got divorced.

Sooooo...not much has changed in 45 to 65 years.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Meanwhile, Rosie believes cushioning lets her channel her neurosis on guys she’s not that interested in, while still keeping her cool with her main flame.

“When I really like a guy, I find a ‘B team’ guy to keep on the side to channel my crazy,” Rosie told the Tab. “I go on dates with him before I go out with ‘A team,’ literally as a practice round.”
View Quote

Now there is a girl who will make some guy's life miserable someday.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#16]
But imagine the outrage if one of these women found out that their main man was doing the same thing to them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#17]
That's a bold strategy, nothing like going into a relationship expecting it to fail.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I hope I die before my wife. She is the most level headed, loyal woman I've ever met. Doesn't play any games, seems to like having me around.

Couldn't imagine trying to find someone these days. 25 years in August.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sounds like a gym girlfriend I once had.
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:55:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
yeah I don't think this is exactly a new idea.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yeah I don't think this is exactly a new idea.
I've remained friends with many of my ex's. After the hard feelings wore off years later, they're pretty open about how many guys they were seeing behind my back, and really how normal it is. I guess its not a huge deal unless they turn it into control abuse by withholding sex, while giving it up to others, just to see you squirm, like a few have done in the past.

Women get their security from relationships, so what better way to feel extra secure than by having many of them. No shame.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#21]
AWALT
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#22]
These hoes be trifling 
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#23]
“It was always awkward when their names would light up my phone while I was sleeping over [my boyfriend’s] place, but I felt like I needed them as an insurance policy,” she told the Tab.
View Quote
Insurance against what?  A sudden shortage of men who are looking for a date?  
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Millennials are so cute when they think they invented something. Like my son when he was two and discovered a light switch, you couldn't wipe that smile off his face if you tried.

Next thing you know they will be using booze during the courtship and mating process.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#26]
The girl I'm taking to right now has a boyfriend. I can only text her at certain hours.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or prick teasers, In my day
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The girl I'm taking to right now has a boyfriend. I can only text her at certain hours.
View Quote
Ooh, this just done got good.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like my subdivision.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#31]
I have heard the term 'shingling' used before. It appears quite often in the book I Hate You Don't Leave Me with a usage that overlaps with 'cushioning' from the Fox News article.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/2017/04/18/millennials-continue-to-fail-at-relationships-with-cushioning.html

Millennials have found a new way to sabotage relationships.

“Cushioning” is a newly coined dating term wherein a partner in a monogamous relationship still flirts with other people — so if their main relationship goes kaput, there’s a backup ready.

“I was seeing someone for a few months and it was going well, but it felt like the dust had started to settle a bit,” Anna, a cushioner who didn’t want to disclose her full name for personal reasons, told the Tab. “I still liked him, but wasn’t entirely sure I wanted him to be my boyfriend and was in limbo. Instead of talk about it, the rational thing to do was to go back on Tinder and find some more boys to chat to, just in case the current one fell through.”

Another cushioner, Lauren, said that she was still messaging lads while “hooking up” with her steady.

Cushioning is the most recent term young people have come up with to articulate petty dating practices instead of communicating like rational adults.

Previous trends have included “ghosting,” where people gradually stop responding to messages and then disappear on their romantic interests, and “breadcrumbing,” where singles continue to leave traces of hope for dating prospects that they’re not actually that interested in.
F'ing millennials.
View Quote
Isn't that called playing the field but they just gave it a new label?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is new?
The author just have been living under a rock...
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is the first thing that came to my mind. Didn't we have a thread a month back about a survey that said +50% of married women in England have their backup guy in mind?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Just what I needed, another reason to disregard Millennials.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:06:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
AWALT
View Quote
All women are lying tramps?
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
The only reason guys aren't is because 99% of them can't line up women well enough to build a cushion.

Human beings gonna human.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#39]
"Dick in a glass case."

Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Not a new phenomenon.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:07:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:07:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/445571/-20170418-160219-190265.JPG
View Quote
So, you're kind of ok with them doing it to you then... Interesting.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
One of the very few pieces of advice my father gave me was the monkey-vine theory.

Picture a monkey swinging from vine to vine in the jungle.

The monkey doesn"t let go of one vine until it has a firm grasp already on another vine.

EDIT:  beat, several times

My father is a 1935 model who dated in the 1950s and again the 1970s once my parents got divorced.

Sooooo...not much has changed in 45 to 65 years.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is new?
Monkey never let go of branch before monkey have new branch...
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This is new?
View Quote
We were doing that 30 yrs ago.  I bet I could ask my Dad and he would say they were doing that 50 years ago.

Kids always think they're doing something new.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I hope I die before my wife. She is the most level headed, loyal woman I've ever met. Doesn't play any games, seems to like having me around.

Couldn't imagine trying to find someone these days. 25 years in August.
View Quote
Same, except 26 years in June.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
This is new?
View Quote
No, older than anyone alive today.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Most women are like monkeys, they won't let go of one branch until they have a firm grip on another.
View Quote
Survival tactic, at it's most basic (animal) level.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is new?
most here get offended by the notion that their little angel could have a back up plan

a women loves conditionally, it's just how they're wired as you've stated
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top