Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2001 8:51:30 PM EDT
What would you do to a 1991 Commander to get it ready to be a carry pistol. Right now mine has night sights, but other than that it is stock. What would you add: barrel, grips, trigger, sprimgs, etc?

Kyle
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 9:28:22 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have one of those grip safties that bite into your hand I would get a bevertail safty.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Mmmmmm...  Sell it and buy a SIG P220 [:D]
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 5:50:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I've installed a clipdraw on mine and like it.  Couldn't find a holster I liked.

www,clipdraw.com
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 6:20:42 AM EDT
[#4]
While you certainly could go crazy sometimes less is more.  As M15A2 said the grip safety is certainly something to look at.  A "beavertail" type cuts down on hammer bite and lets you obtain a higher grip.
The grips themselves and mainspring housing are really a matter of preference.
Many gunsmiths such as Novak or Wilson offer packages of varying degrees.  Something common is a typical "tuneup".  Novak offers a reliabilty package for a decent price.
As I said though. Less may be more.  Shoot the pistol ALOT with your chosen load.  If it goes bang every time (500 rounds plus) without fail and puts 'em where you aim, the rest is really just window dressing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 6:47:19 AM EDT
[#5]
1. Basic reliability package from a competent smith.
2. Wilson 8 round mags.
3. IWB holster from Milt Sparks.
4. Practice, practice, practice.

I would forget the slide tightening / match barrel thing for carry / defensive work. As they say, "6 inches at 6 feet will do it". Speed, realistic defensive accuracy, & RELIABILITY are more important. Just my $0.02.

Good shooting!
GCF
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 8:31:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Ammunition & practice, practice, practice.

Norm
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:44:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry Bushmaster Dan, I'm a 1911 design nut. I guess I'll just have to learn to shoot my 8 rounds accurately instead of spraying 14 all over hell's half acre! [uzi][pyro]

I am a year and a half away from being old enough to get a CCW, so in the mean time practice is my main focus.

I plan on replacing the wood grips with rubber ones to help improve my hold on the gun. I don't have a problem with hammer bite, and I like the way the grip fits my hand as it is, so is there any other reason to get a beaver tail safety?

GCF,

Great, that is the last thing that I need: another mag jag! [:D]

Kyle
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Simple fact is, that right-out-of-the box the Colt is reliable.  Almost anything done has the potential of reducing reliability.  This I finally figured out after 30 years of tune-jobs, "neat" parts, and customing.  All I would do is give it a 200 round break-in, and keep it and the magazines clean and lubed.  If you really need something (I shoot pistol left handed, so I have an ambi-safety) do only that.
Where people get into trouble is listening to the "Experts" and the normal desire to make a weapon truly "Yours".
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Find the right load/ammo
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top