Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 17
Posted: 3/31/2017 2:25:51 PM EDT
So I got bored this morning and finished the buffer assembly on my flat spot AR lower....And kinda fucked up

Was going to do ~9.5" for a rifle length buffer but read the tape backwards and cut it for 8.5"

Attachment Attached File

Unfortunately I'm out of threaded 1" pipe and don't feel like going out and getting more so looks like I'm going to end up plugging it and going with a dirty pleb carbine system

Progress so far:
Attachment Attached File

When I get back from lunch I'll do a little more work on it
__________________________________________________________________________________________
5/28

Andddddddddd here's the rest of it for the TL;DR guys aka ALL TEH PIKTUREZ keep in mind it's not 100% done but it's basically there. Also for those not familiar with the build, all pressure bearing parts are factory so no freaking out about it going kaboom damnit

But before that I'd like to give my thanks to our amazing community for donating their parts and work for helping me complete this project For the bagillionth time, thanks guys
Arfcom:
BURN
Lawless_Flogic
E-mag
GilenusX207
smokie
BillythePoet
lafmedic1

Reddit:
CrunkleRoss

And while I've got your attention, please check out sublimeshooter's build too
Official Apocalyptic/Fallout/Mad Max Build Picture Thread

Final weight: 12.42 pounds loaded (20 round mag) without the optic
*Placeholder for accuracy testing*

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Mostly finished product and progress as of now (5/28) still going to do some stain on the wood, make a bayonet, clean up the engravings, make some other tacticool attachments, etc etc etc. Going to add pics of it with the ring site Gilenus donated later today.

It's going to be ever-evolving and I plan to have multiple uppers eventually for the various scenarios one may face in the wasteland
Will add final weight, accuracy, shooting video, etc once I get around to actually doing it

Eventual goal is to have a complete 3 gun setup of the apocalypse based on some of my favorites from various games or just my goofy imagination (I'm mostly just dreaming here)

I want to base the shotgun off of something from the Metro 2033 series like the "Shambler":

or the "Duplet"

Or maybe even its quad barrel variant

Orrrrrrrrrrr just molest the hell out of say a cheap chicom 870 (cause steel receiver) or SxS to give it the look

For the pistol I'd like to base it off the "Semi Auto Pistol" from Rust. Plan would be just to molest the hell out of one of say a Zastava CZ99

Or maybe use the sheetmetal pistol that has plans out there and just scale it up (these are incredibly hard to make and make work right though)

Or maybe a multi-barrel version of Mark Serbu's GB-22 or the more rough version AFCarbon15 came up with a la post apocalyptic Howdah

Or maybe just modify the hell out of a Cobray and hope it doesn't blow up in my hand
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks heavy.

OST
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:30:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Ummmm this is awesome. Why have I never thought of doing this?

More details please. Are you going to just slap an upper on it?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks heavy.

OST
View Quote
Oh it's gonna be a pig once I finish it but it's all for a fun Fallout/Mad Max theme so I don't mind
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ummmm this is awesome. Why have I never thought of doing this?

More details please. Are you going to just slap an upper on it?
View Quote
Not sure yet.... Kinda want to make an upper out of 1" stuff too side charger too

Plan is for a 16" finned 7.62x39 dissy with wood forend cut to expose the gas system w/ Prototype FSB.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:45:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Building Taurus Custom Shop AR's now?  Cool!

Seriously, that is pretty neat.

I recently ran into a roadblock while building a boat.  Went crazy trying to figure out why things just didn't fit.  Installed a frame 1/2" off.  Exactly 1/2" off.  At least it was a precise mistake. 
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Building Taurus Custom Shop AR's now?  Cool!

Seriously, that is pretty neat.

I recently ran into a roadblock while building a boat.  Went crazy trying to figure out why things just didn't fit.  Installed a frame 1/2" off.  Exactly 1/2" off.  At least it was a precise mistake. 
View Quote
Thanks! I do that multiple times on every big project
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#7]
There probably is a market of sorts for a "mad max" line of ar stuff.  After all there are a lot of DE AE50s and S&W whatever those monstrous revolvers are.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#8]
That looks like it would make a good anchor for my boat!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#9]
So you cut it twice and it was still short?

Getting old?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#10]
In!
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 4:16:10 PM EDT
[#11]
This is going to be interesting to watch.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So you cut it twice and it was still short?

Getting old?
View Quote
Measured twice at a "half past 9" = cut at 8.5"
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That looks like it would make a good anchor for my boat!!
View Quote
It'll have very little recoil this way
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Question: is there any need in an AR for the floor of the FCG area? My trigger sits too low to be able to move and kinda just want to cut it all out
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I was managing disaster response training and we had teams setting up shores while another team was working the saws.  At some point in the day, the wood posts were coming back from the bench too short.  We checked with the teams to make sure they were measuring twice and cutting once, getting correct measurements from the floor to ceiling, and the runner sending messages back and forth.  Everything seemed right and it was puzzling.

Checked the equipment and discovered a decimal foot tape measure somehow got mixed in with the rest of the standard tape measures.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Question: is there any need in an AR for the floor of the FCG area? My trigger sits too low to be able to move and kinda just want to cut it all out
View Quote
too keep stuff that you dont want inside the gun outside of it?
and this project looks awesome and fun
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Orrrrrr you can look at a gaping hole in the bottom as a way for stuff I don't want inside to not stay inside.....

I'm honestly not too worried about tier 1 reliability and usefulness, it's all about fun!

Hell, I'm half tempted to just fill in the holes for the safety for that extra "slick side" look
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
The legs of the trigger spring bear on the floor of the well, but only on the extreme outer edges of it.

ETA: Tagged for future development as this is pertinent to my interests.

Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Forgot to update this yesterday but went full retard with the drill press to allow trigger to work

Attachment Attached File

And yes, I lost the hammer pin so with the theme of the build I use a small bolt

Side note, I've forgotten how bad mil spec triggers are..... I'll probably get say a CMC drop in eventually
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#21]
And now I have a boner

But seriously that's awesome.  You should case harden the whole thing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:53:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
And now I have a boner
View Quote
Glad I could be of assistance

Today's project is PG and stock. Probably just going to use a 2x6 and a sawzall

ETA: found a "blank"

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#23]
I cut it twice, but it was still to short, now what?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I cut it twice, but it was still to short, now what?
View Quote
You make do

Or throw it in a dumpster fire

Not much difference TBH

Link Posted: 4/1/2017 12:59:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Tag for finished project so I can steal his ideas...

Link Posted: 4/1/2017 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks a bit heavy and rough. Interesting none the less...

...Keep on keeping on
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Progress on the stock so far

Attachment Attached File

General shape is there, working on forming a semi circle channel for the BT to rest in. Going to attach with 2 short strips of thin flat metal formed in a "U" welded to BT with a bolt passing through to hold the stock.

Buttplate will start on top at the "step" toward the top end and wrap around attaching at the flatish part on the bottom. I may add a piece of baler belting instead of attempting to texture the smooth steel

ETA: LoP is going to be approx the same as an A1 (I modelled it after mine on my 12.5")
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:30:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fun is bad. Theme builds are bad.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 2:31:42 PM EDT
[#31]
OST
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Op, how are you going to rifle the barrel or is this going to be a smoothbore? And will a suppressor fit those pipe threads?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Op, how are you going to rifle the barrel or is this going to be a smoothbore? And will a suppressor fit those pipe threads?
View Quote
Lol

Go back and look again
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#35]
This is cool, can't wait to see it all finished and a range report.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Neat, but it's the apocalypse and you have to fabricate your entire rifle yet  you just happen to have a trigger and i'm guessing barrel and bcg.

The barrel and bcg i can understand but i think you should at least try to make everything you can
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 4:26:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Forgot to update this yesterday but went full retard with the drill press to allow trigger to work

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/411027/IMG-20170401-114009929-2-178585.JPG

And yes, I lost the hammer pin so with the theme of the build I use a small bolt

Side note, I've forgotten how bad mil spec triggers are..... I'll probably get say a CMC drop in eventually
View Quote
Yeah, the mil-spec trigger is really the questionable decision in this build. 

Srsly, cool build.  Looking forward to seeing it progress 
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This is cool, can't wait to see it all finished and a range report.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#39]
this AR was built from the trashcan!
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm going to tell you I'm tagging this thread just so you know I got my eyes on you. Proceed accordingly.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#41]
There was a lot of WTF when I read the OP.

But now I'm in to see how awesome this turns out.

It really looks promising.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:11:52 PM EDT
[#42]
IN
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:12:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Tag.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Very cool OP
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Stock is 87% finished and is attached! It didn't go on perfectly straight but I didn't really expect it to Still need to do the buttplate and aesthetics like shaping it and a stain.

Any suggestions on the stain? I'm thinking just used motor oil but then it'll just get so damn nasty

After I do the buttplate it's onto the pistol grip

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

ETA: progress since the last update doesn't look like much but it was a FUCKING B I T C H to get the bands tight. Rear one is tight AF, front isn't....Both are getting welded this evening once I get access to a tig

Quoted:
Neat, but it's the apocalypse and you have to fabricate your entire rifle yet  you just happen to have a trigger and i'm guessing barrel and bcg.

The barrel and bcg i can understand but i think you should at least try to make everything you can
View Quote
Does it count that the particular trigger group I used didn't work and I had to spend an hour and a half filing and polishing so it'd reset?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Tagged

Awesome build, op!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Stock is 87% finished and is attached! It didn't go on perfectly straight but I didn't really expect it to Still need to do the buttplate and aesthetics like shaping it and a stain.

Any suggestions on the stain? I'm thinking just used motor oil but then it'll just get so damn nasty

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/411027/IMG-20170401-160551078-2-178807.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/411027/IMG-20170401-160714252-2-178809.JPG

Does it count that the particular trigger group I used didn't work and I had to spend an hour and a half filing and polishing so it'd reset?
View Quote
That rifle looks glorious! I would simply clear coat the entire lower so none of the beauty is hidden.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Double tap
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/411027/IMG-20170401-160551078-2-178807.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/411027/IMG-20170401-160714252-2-178809.JPG

ETA: progress since the last update doesn't look like much but it was a FUCKING B I T C H to get the bands tight. Rear one is tight AF, front isn't....Both are getting welded this evening once I get access to a tig

View Quote
Use a dark leather dye
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm so in.

Btw, OP use a rounded rasp to gouge out the majority of fill around the buffer pipe   Then wrap the pipe in ~80 grit or similar and fit it that way.

Edit:  Nevermind.  You could have at least used pipe banding instead.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top