Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 17
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#1]
ETA: I own 4.

How does it look with a normal upper mounted on it?

Maybe add some aircraft machine gunner sights for BUIS?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#2]
needs keymod

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#3]
In case you need measurements for it   Figure if you just cut half of the slot into the magwell, it should still work.  I'd try on some scrap first though.  That or really make it look DIY by overcutting, then adding metal back with the welder to grind new. 

Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ummmmm yes yes yes anddddd yes. I think this is the plan now

The DPMS thick wall slick side that I have is PERFECT for this. I can easily get it milled "square" and even use aluminium square tubing and weld directly to each other
ETA: I forgot 7000 series aluminum is unweldable I wonder how strong a drilling and tapping a bunch of holes would be..........

You guys are the bomb

Oh and pics of everything welded up, rough ground "smooth", and completed grip coming up. Probably all that's getting done today but I'd call it successful
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wish that place had an option for the upper. I cant wait to see what you come up with. I would be tempted to fit some square tube over a real upper
That's not a half bad idea really.  If it comes down to it, trim down a regular upper to basically be a liner in a square stock upper.  That way you know the inside is spec, but you can have it fuckugly on the outside.  Only thought is the attachment method.  Personally I'd skim bed the two together to keep them tight but isolated from each other to prevent galvanic corrosion.

zip off the top rail, cut the sides flat ish, etc.  Mount it to the lower so it's attached properly and bed to the steel shell.  Could always just build a slightly oversized housing with a cheapo set of rail adapters inside to lock to the upper.  Might be taller, but with a good shroud over the upper, nobody could tell.

Something like this, then cut off the rails, tap the top for screws, then just screw the shell over the upper.

http://yhm.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/750x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/Y/H/YHM-227A_3.jpg

The DPMS thick wall slick side that I have is PERFECT for this. I can easily get it milled "square" and even use aluminium square tubing and weld directly to each other
ETA: I forgot 7000 series aluminum is unweldable I wonder how strong a drilling and tapping a bunch of holes would be..........

You guys are the bomb

Oh and pics of everything welded up, rough ground "smooth", and completed grip coming up. Probably all that's getting done today but I'd call it successful
If it comes down to get, get some nylon headed screws and just tension fit the shell around it.  Hit em with some blue loctite or something and they won't budge.  Well, provided you have a proper place for the screws to rest against.

IMO I'd rough both opposing faces up, then use a good 2 part epoxy or putty to hold them together.  Get some in the screw holes (not clear through the receiver) then attach with screws.  When it sets up, it'll be damn near indestructable.  Downside is it'll never come apart either.

Basically treat the receiver like an action you are bedding inside of the housing.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
ETA: I own 4.

How does it look with a normal upper mounted on it?

Maybe add some aircraft machine gunner sights for BUIS?
https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-5438-ati-gsg-ak-47-rebel-edition-22-lr-with-16-barrel-and-wood-stock.aspx?keyword=gsg%20ak
View Quote
Give me a few and I'll get you some pics.

Got any examples of what you have in mind? The pic you've got there doesn't seem to fit
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
10 dollar 
10 inch steel pic rail
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/shotgun-magazine-tube-ring.aspx
View Quote
A little shorter at 8", but comes with a channel for the gas tube

Linky
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Holy crap, dude.

I cannot wait to see this thing when it's done!
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I would think that a few short bolts would hold square tube on the upper fine if there is enough meat on the upper
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If it comes down to get, get some nylon headed screws and just tension fit the shell around it.  Hit em with some blue loctite or something and they won't budge.  Well, provided you have a proper place for the screws to rest against.

IMO I'd rough both opposing faces up, then use a good 2 part epoxy to hold them together.  Get some in the screw holes (not clear through the receiver) then attach with screws.  When it sets up, it'll be damn near indestructable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wish that place had an option for the upper. I cant wait to see what you come up with. I would be tempted to fit some square tube over a real upper
That's not a half bad idea really.  If it comes down to it, trim down a regular upper to basically be a liner in a square stock upper.  That way you know the inside is spec, but you can have it fuckugly on the outside.  Only thought is the attachment method.  Personally I'd skim bed the two together to keep them tight but isolated from each other to prevent galvanic corrosion.

zip off the top rail, cut the sides flat ish, etc.  Mount it to the lower so it's attached properly and bed to the steel shell.  Could always just build a slightly oversized housing with a cheapo set of rail adapters inside to lock to the upper.  Might be taller, but with a good shroud over the upper, nobody could tell.

Something like this, then cut off the rails, tap the top for screws, then just screw the shell over the upper.

http://yhm.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/750x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/Y/H/YHM-227A_3.jpg

You guys are the bomb

IMO I'd rough both opposing faces up, then use a good 2 part epoxy to hold them together.  Get some in the screw holes (not clear through the receiver) then attach with screws.  When it sets up, it'll be damn near indestructable.
Thats not a bad idea at all.....I don't see why that wouldn't work provided I use something that isn't all too susceptible to heat

Now I know I am retarded but would you mind linking me the screws you have in mind I'm having trouble finding what I think you're talking about
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:10:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Linky
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
10 dollar 
10 inch steel pic rail
http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/shotgun-magazine-tube-ring.aspx

Linky
Linky no worky
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Got any examples of what you have in mind? The pic you've got there doesn't seem to fit
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Linky no worky
View Quote
www.ebay.com/p/steel-rifle-scope-rail-universal-1913-picatinny-8-long-1-2-tall/1387053767?iid=172355268978

Link doesn't seem to work...

Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thats not a bad idea at all.....I don't see why that wouldn't work provided I use something that isn't all too susceptible to heat

Now I know I am retarded but would you mind linking me the screws you have in mind I'm having trouble finding what I think you're talking about
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys are the bomb

McMaster Carr nylon tipped screws
They also do brass tipped.
In socket cap or set screws.  IMO if you wanted to go 100% never come apart, I'd go with set screws, get epoxy on the threads, and cap the screw in epoxy to seal it in.  That said the big socket head screws would be kinda awesome.  Especially if you could get them to rust or fake it.  So you have "rust" weeping down the side of the rifle, despite the screw body being sealed in epoxy.  If you don't want to risk damage, just some brown and red acrylic model paint watered down really well will do the trick.

Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:14:29 PM EDT
[#16]
ebay has a steel 8.5 inch pic rail but the site converts the url to garbage

ebay.com/itm/steel-rifle-scope-rail-universal-1913-picatinny-8-long-1-2-tall-/172355268978
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

In socket cap or set screws.  IMO if you wanted to go 100% never come apart, I'd go with set screws, get epoxy on the threads, and cap the screw in epoxy to seal it in.  That said the big socket head screws would be kinda awesome.  Especially if you could get them to rust or fake it.  So you have "rust" weeping down the side of the rifle, despite the screw body being sealed in epoxy.  If you don't want to risk damage, just some brown and red acrylic model paint watered down really well will do the trick.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31gfnLw6Q3L.jpg
View Quote
Dont see the point for this I think I would want it actually bolted to the upper not just pinching it
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
ebay has a steel 8.5 inch pic rail but the site converts the url to garbage

ebay.com/itm/steel-rifle-scope-rail-universal-1913-picatinny-8-long-1-2-tall-/172355268978
View Quote
Same one I posted above

Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Can't wait to see the finished product, OP.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Dont see the point for this I think I would want it actually bolted to the upper not just pinching it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the 'worst case' option depending on how much metal is left after milling.  The screws would largely be to support it while the internal spaces were filled with epoxy really.  After that, nothing is going to move.  Think of it like using something to support a part you are bedding, but you forgot the release compound. 

I'm honestly not sure how much metal is between the bottom of the rail and top of the internal space on an upper, so there might not be enough metal to secure it without a ton of screws.  Could potentially bind up the CH if one goes slightly too deep.  Now if OP oversizes it a bit by using a replaceable rail section that he can put a reinforcement under, it'll work awesome.  Could just have two or four small holes to adjust the screws for the mount.  

Personally I'd start by bending some flat steel into a U shape with the same external dimensions as the lower to know what kind of internal volume there is to work with.  Barring that, hog off a side of square stock the same ish dimensions and hit with a rough belt sander to get it 'sorta kinda' right.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Mo betta
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:24:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I'm thinking set screws combined with epoxy but I'll leave the heads exposed over the square tubing so it'll rust.

On top of that I can use picatinny blanks that everyone keeps linking that arf fucks up, good find there guys!
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Shame it's not a side charger.  I'd say to get one of the nastiest corroded cases you can find (308 or the like), fill it with epoxy, and slip over the side charger handle.    But you can probably tell I love stuff like this.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Pic of it with the upper I have for it

Attachment Attached File

Sorry I don't have one of my full upper, I only have my one SBR so I don't want to risk my peepee getting a good slappin by Mr ATF Man
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Shame it's not a side charger.  I'd say to get one of the nastiest corroded cases you can find (308 or the like), fill it with epoxy, and slip over the side charger handle.    But you can probably tell I love stuff like this.
View Quote
Honestly I'm probably going to just cut it as a side charger and cap the rear I mean I already am covering it with tubing
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#26]
So that's pretty close dimensionally already.  I assume it locks to the lower fairly good?  May have to make the shell out of thinner gauge steel and use the epoxy as reinforcement to keep it from flexing.  Should be solid as hell after setup though.  Too bad the milspec trigger is a hardened part.  I'd zip it off at the base and use a bolt wrapped in heat shrink or e tape or something as the trigger.

Man, I'd consider hitting all the metal parts with a wire wheel, then a salt and vinegar wash to force a patina on it.   It's going to be a horrific beauty when done.  Shame is I'll be away from my desk for the next week. 

Edit:  That does give me an idea for the safety though.  Get a cheap ambi safety with removable levers.  Build up a little metal on it, then thread for a wing nut
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#27]
It would be cool if the charging handle were a rusty link of chain.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Mutagenic.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#30]
So  much this
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:50:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So that's pretty close dimensionally already.  I assume it locks to the lower fairly good?  May have to make the shell out of thinner gauge steel and use the epoxy as reinforcement to keep it from flexing.  Should be solid as hell after setup though.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
So that's pretty close dimensionally already.  I assume it locks to the lower fairly good?  May have to make the shell out of thinner gauge steel and use the epoxy as reinforcement to keep it from flexing.  Should be solid as hell after setup though.  
It was tight before but now its tighter than a Catholic virgin's asshole after welding guess I got it a bit too how and it warped ever so slightly

Too bad the milspec trigger is a hardened part.  I'd zip it off at the base and use a bolt wrapped in heat shrink or e tape or something as the trigger.
I was thinking of just using a bolt but yeah, not sure how well that hardened steel will weld....87% chance of it snapping off

Man, I'd consider hitting all the metal parts with a wire wheel, then a salt and vinegar wash to force a patina on it.   It's going to be a horrific beauty when done.  Shame is I'll be away from my desk for the next week. 
You probably won't miss anything, I've got lectures and labs throughout the day Monday through Thursday. Most that'll probably get done is if I can talk one of the machine shop profs to mill the upper or I take it to a guy that can

Edit:  That does give me an idea for the safety though.  Get a cheap ambi safety with removable levers.  Build up a little metal on it, then thread for a wing nut
This is all that it'll have

I never actually drilled a hole for the detent.....so I have to fill that gaping hole still
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#32]
rust metal fast

How to Rust Metal in Minutes!
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have been wanting a welder so I started looking for used ones. Arf making me spend money again 
View Quote
I've been contemplating how to make a pipe rifle from the old Hi Point 995 kicking around in my safe, this thread isn't helping. I love Fallout inspired or related stuff. 
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:54:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So  much this
View All Quotes
Quoted:
So  much this
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm let me see what I come up with

I think I can incorporate it into the forend and even use the male shelf brackets to attach something
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I've been contemplating how to make a pipe rifle from the old Hi Point 995 kicking around in my safe, this thread isn't helping. I love Fallout inspired or related stuff. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have been wanting a welder so I started looking for used ones. Arf making me spend money again 
I was going to make one out of a STEN.......but $$$ a HP would be a solid base
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Oh my......
ETA: Good find! I may just try that or just use vinegar, don't want it to go too far

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://jamesdjulia.com/wp-content/uploads/images/auctions/233/images/org/34589x1.jpg
Those are actually quite pricey...like $350ish
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I was going to make one out of a STEN.......but $$ a HP would be a solid base
View Quote
I'm not using it, and I have a ton of scrap wood and metal floating around the shop, but I sort of put the idea on the back burner with all my other bad ideas. At least until I get some gas for the welder. 
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#38]
If I had more money than brains I would put a NDS-15U upper on there.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If I had more money than brains I would put a NDS-15U upper on there.
View Quote
............I planned on doing that from the getgo.....but  I kept spending my project money on other things
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm not using it, and I have a ton of scrap wood and metal floating around the shop, but I sort of put the idea on the back burner with all my other bad ideas. At least until I get some gas for the welder. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was going to make one out of a STEN.......but $ a HP would be a solid base
You now there is only one real answer to this............FO. HARD.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#41]
gunsight

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Maybe if this was a post apocalyptic M1919 or some shit
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If you put the bottleopener on the left side of the gun, you can still hold it in your right hand and pop the cap on the bottle in your left
View Quote
maybe he is left handed

EDIT> I am picturing one of these LOL

Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:51:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
maybe he is left handed

www.amazon.com/dp/B01DELW1RG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you put the bottleopener on the left side of the gun, you can still hold it in your right hand and pop the cap on the bottle in your left
maybe he is left handed

www.amazon.com/dp/B01DELW1RG
It'll be this style, one of the wall mounts would be a bit too much

The reason I'm thinking right is just so I can have it centered but after holding one up to it I could fit one on the left
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It'll be this style, one of the wall mounts would be a bit too much
https://img1.etsystatic.com/070/0/5239925/il_340x270.820772051_q0sm.jpg

The reason I'm thinking right is just so I can have it centered but after holding one up to it I could fit one on the left
View Quote
Underachiever 
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 7:57:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Maybe if this was a post apocalyptic M1919 or some shit
View Quote
Folding BUAAAIS Goodness

Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:01:35 PM EDT
[#48]
MOTHER OF GOD

Do you just use a regular 1919 rear sight with that orrrr?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Hand forge the barrel and use one of those long threaded rods from Home Depot for the rifling.

Also while you're at HD pick up a firing pin.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

MOTHER OF GOD

Do you just use a regular 1919 rear sight with that orrrr?
View Quote
Mods let me know if it is unkosher to link to another site.

Linky

Here is a guy who bought the sight a few years ago. The spider sight is the "rear" sight and the metal pole is the "front sight." It appears that both come in the kit you buy from IMA.

Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top