[#4]
Very Mad Max! I'm digging it, nice OP.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't forget to wrap some copper wire on there to hold something on. Also needs a gnarly homemade bayonet on there.
View Quote
A chunk of sheet metal cut with really shitty snips and hit with a bastard file to sharpen it  Make it all ratty, scraped, and dented. 
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Could use the aluminum handle from an old paint sprayer or other shop tool.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Could use the aluminum handle from an old paint sprayer or other shop tool.
Possibly. I have a drawer full of old air tools..........

Quoted:
Dont like the rubber hose handle . Use an old kitchen knife and weld it in! And for the rear sight use a washer as a peep sight
I *WILL* stab myself with that....................

Sights will be dependent on how I do the upper. I may get something surplus

Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmmmmm....That may just be the ticket. It'd be a metric fuck ton less work than wood

Not to mention I loathe woodworking
but you're so good at it.

Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#8]

OP, don't forget to put enough quarters or spacers to shorten that buffer tube down to carbine length, or you're gonna break your gas key screws.

Link to OP's previous thread:  www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1911207_I_joined_the_80__crowd_but_moar_punk_rock____or_dare_I_say__metal_AF_.html

Older ARFCOM builds:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/647105_Steel_AR_flats_from_the_Flat_Spot.html

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/648352_I_welded_together_a_steel_receiver_from_theflatspot_net__Now_with_functional_selector__pg_2.html

$29 flats w/ $8 flat rate shipping:  http://www.theflatspot.net/ar-15-receiver-flat.html

OP, as the upper is essentially a 1" tube, you can use the same pipe you used for the buffer tube, and weld the take down trunnions to it after you cut out the bottom.  If you screw an op handle into the bolt carrier, you can just cut a channel aft of the ejection port.  The hard part will be the gas key channel, as you want to keep it from squirting gas into your eyeball.  You don't have to thread the bbl trunnion in the front, just slot it for the bbl key and weld the castle nut to the the upper.  You'll also need to cut a slot in the upper tube for the cam key.

Well done.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What are you going to use for the takedown pins?  I suggest using threaded bolts with wing nuts
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What are you going to use for the takedown pins?  I suggest using threaded bolts with wing nuts
I thought about that but I think they'd get hung up on too much stuff.......

Quoted:

You should get a piece of leather, get a soft tape and measure over the top of the buffer tube from the center of the bolt on one side to the center on the other side, then put some grommets in the leather on those marks and drape it across the top of the buffer tube and grab it through the grommets with the bolts. That would look cool and protect your face a little. Just leave a little material around the grommets and trim it flat from and back.
I can do that. It'll definitely prevent the whole facial hair getting ripped out thing

Quoted:

A chunk of sheet metal cut with really shitty snips and hit with a bastard file to sharpen it  Make it all ratty, scraped, and dented. 
Kinda like this........

Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

OP, don't forget to put enough quarters or spacers to shorten that buffer tube down to carbine length, or you're gonna break your gas key screws.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Oh I won't I'm cutting a dowel to fit tomorrow, I'm done for today

OP, as the upper is essentially a 1" tube, you can use the same pipe you used for the buffer tube, and weld the take down trunnions to it after you cut out the bottom.  If you screw an op handle into the bolt carrier, you can just cut a channel aft of the ejection port.  The hard part will be the gas key channel, as you want to keep it from squirting gas into your eyeball.  You don't have to thread the bbl trunnion in the front, just slot it for the bbl key and weld the castle nut to the the upper.  You'll also need to cut a slot in the upper tube for the cam key.

Well done.

I wonder if the 1" stuff I used is tight enough though........I'll measure in the AM.

I think I have an idea for the gas key channel but I'm too tired and hungry to put it into words at the moment I'll see what I can come up with "on paper" after supper
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:45:04 PM EDT
[#11]
If that front rail is free floated then for God's sake don't put a BUIS on it or people around here will shit themselves....

In the meantime, rock on cause this is a great thread.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#12]
That is pretty cool.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:00:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That is pretty cool.
View Quote
Except for the tetanus that OP is going to get after shooting it 
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:01:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I think I have an idea for the gas key channel
View Quote
OK so does anyone know of something like this:

But made of steel?

I could just remove the goofy riser part and utilize that channel for the gas key while doubling as a mount.

Thoughts anyone? Or is that too pretty
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:06:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If that front rail is free floated then for God's sake don't put a BUIS on it or people around here will shit themselves....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have a prototype FSB I acquired specifically for this build Gonna place it in the dissy position (via set screw, not pinning it) so If this "custom" FF rail flops hard I can fall back on my original plan

Quoted:
Quoted:
That is pretty cool.
Except for the tetanus that OP is going to get after shooting it 
Pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I have my shots

And again, a thank you to everyone!
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:27:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  OK so does anyone know of something like this:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41ALcUBhlTL.jpg
But made of steel?

I could just remove the goofy riser part and utilize that channel for the gas key while doubling as a mount.

View Quote
Don't need that.  Just weld a hollow channel up top, w/ a steel flat on top of that.  Wherever you need to run a locking screw, just cut a slot across w/ a file.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:29:52 PM EDT
[#17]
ost
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:14:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Neat. 
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:32:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/411027/IMG-20170401-165812887-2-178856.JPG

It works fine on say a corner but I couldn't get it to bite at all when working the channel
View Quote
You need to fix the tool in a vise and then run the block of wood across it, not the other way around. You'll be able to get a whole lot more pressure on it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:06:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Clicked for a carpentry fail.

Stayed for post apocalyptic awesomeness.  

Rock on OP.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:15:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That would help a lot! PM me how much you want for them!

@BillythePoet
View Quote
I can donate parts as well....pm with a list of what you need...upper or lower and while I may not have it all I will see what I do got.....

Just don't get mad when I copy you....

I love frankin  guns....
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#22]
This is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#23]
I love fallout and now I love this thread.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok so the 1" tubing I have is 1.02-1.04....The upper I have is between .997 and 1.004...

Do yall think that the tolerances there are too loose? I kinda feel like the BCG would rattle around in there too much
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Skim coat it with JB Weld.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Fun is bad. Theme builds are bad.
View Quote
If there is to be evidence of that, it will be this thread.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

OK so does anyone know of something like this:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41ALcUBhlTL.jpg
But made of steel?

View Quote
I think you just need to weld so.e square tube to the top of your pipe

Thats too pretty
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Ok so the 1" tubing I have is 1.02-1.04....The upper I have is between .997 and 1.004...

Do yall think that the tolerances there are too loose? I kinda feel like the BCG would rattle around in there too much
View Quote
Sounds close enough for me.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Don't forget to wrap some copper wire on there to hold something on. Also needs a gnarly homemade bayonet on there.
View Quote
And you need some Paki tape.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:03:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Fun looking project, I'd have to hang that on the wall with my Fallout prints.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:06:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:  Ok so the 1" tubing I have is 1.02-1.04....The upper I have is between .997 and 1.004...

View Quote
Yeah, that BCG will scratch the hell out of your high $ upper w/ those dims, and you will die.  

Seriously, you are cutting the entire top off the pipe, and the entire bottom of the pipe.  You are left w/ less than 2x halves of pipe.  Take up the .04" when you weld the two halves back together to the gas key raceway & the takedown lugs.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Grip 2.0 is pretty much there! This one is moar betterer

Attachment Attached File

USA!USA!USA!
Attachment Attached File

Final plan, won't epoxy until done welding
Attachment Attached File

Buttpad is done too
Attachment Attached File

I didn't get to tig up everything last night but once that gets one and i can smooth some stuff over, the lower is done!

I kinda feel the need to incorporate a bottle opener into the magwell though
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Might want to smooth out some of the rear above the pistol grip.  There are some pretty sharp corners up that way for the web of the hand.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:16:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yeah, that BCG will scratch the hell out of your high $ upper w/ those dims, and you will die.  

Seriously, you are cutting the entire top off the pipe, and the entire bottom of the pipe.  You are left w/ less than 2x halves of pipe.  Take up the .04" when you weld the two halves back together to the gas key raceway & the takedown lugs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Ok so the 1" tubing I have is 1.02-1.04....The upper I have is between .997 and 1.004...

True I'll figure something out
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Coolest project since the sh** shovel AK build.

I like it.  More please!
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#36]
It's like a bad car accident that I just can't look away from...
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Might want to smooth out some of the rear above the pistol grip.  There are some pretty sharp corners up that way for the web of the hand.
View Quote
Sharp is an understatement
Attachment Attached File

But yes, it's on the list, I'm just waiting to get everything burned in place 100% before attacking it with a flap wheel and Dremel
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fun is bad. Theme builds are bad.
Quoted:
It's like a bad car accident that I just can't look away from...
Pshhhhh yall show me something not mechanically *stronger* than an aluminium lower on this build so far
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Wow.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#40]
ER. Mah. Gerd. This is gonna be awesome.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#41]
I wish that place had an option for the upper. I cant wait to see what you come up with. I would be tempted to fit some square tube over a real upper
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I wish that place had an option for the upper. I cant wait to see what you come up with. I would be tempted to fit some square tube over a real upper
View Quote
That's not a half bad idea really.  If it comes down to it, trim down a regular upper to basically be a liner in a square stock upper.  That way you know the inside is spec, but you can have it fuckugly on the outside.  Only thought is the attachment method.  Personally I'd skim bed the two together to keep them tight but isolated from each other to prevent galvanic corrosion.

zip off the top rail, cut the sides flat ish, etc.  Mount it to the lower so it's attached properly and bed to the steel shell.  Could always just build a slightly oversized housing with a cheapo set of rail adapters inside to lock to the upper.  Might be taller, but with a good shroud over the upper, nobody could tell.

Something like this, then cut off the rails, tap the top for screws, then just screw the shell over the upper.

Link Posted: 4/2/2017 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Definitely tagged. I love this. 

Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Definitely tagged. I love this. 

View Quote
I have been wanting a welder so I started looking for used ones. Arf making me spend money again 
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#45]
This is fucking awesome
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I've been wanting one of those for a LONG time. Would you be willing to take some detail pics of it inside and out? If I can do a square tubing upper that'd be INSANELY cool
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you at least post a pic of said upper moar ideas wouldn't hurt

ETA: I may put one of these in the side of the stock
https://img1.etsystatic.com/164/0/14384025/il_570xN.1171403167_elhc.jpg
http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag337/SeanC/Frankenupper/fu2_zpsdgeen0ub.jpg
I've been wanting one of those for a LONG time. Would you be willing to take some detail pics of it inside and out? If I can do a square tubing upper that'd be INSANELY cool

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_15/694375_Kind_of_unique_45_upper_I_recently_purchased___Update_pics_of_upper_internals_added_.html

I can take measurements and more pics if there is anything particular you want.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#47]
So if you're going to make the upper, what's the plan for attaching a barrel?
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:31:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Coolest project since the sh** shovel AK build.

I like it.  More please!
View Quote
Yes!
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That's not a half bad idea really.  If it comes down to it, trim down a regular upper to basically be a liner in a square stock upper.  That way you know the inside is spec, but you can have it fuckugly on the outside.  Only thought is the attachment method.  Personally I'd skim bed the two together to keep them tight but isolated from each other to prevent galvanic corrosion.

zip off the top rail, cut the sides flat ish, etc.  Mount it to the lower so it's attached properly and bed to the steel shell.  Could always just build a slightly oversized housing with a cheapo set of rail adapters inside to lock to the upper.  Might be taller, but with a good shroud over the upper, nobody could tell.

Something like this, then cut off the rails, tap the top for screws, then just screw the shell over the upper.

http://yhm.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/750x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/Y/H/YHM-227A_3.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://yhm.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/750x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/Y/H/YHM-227A_3.jpg
Ummmmm yes yes yes anddddd yes. I think this is the plan now

The DPMS thick wall slick side that I have is PERFECT for this. I can easily get it milled "square" and even use aluminium square tubing and weld directly to each other
ETA: I forgot 7000 series aluminum is unweldable I wonder how strong a drilling and tapping a bunch of holes would be..........

You guys are the bomb

Oh and pics of everything welded up, rough ground "smooth", and completed grip coming up. Probably all that's getting done today but I'd call it successful
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#50]
So everything is 100% welded now.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Finished mechanically now just aesthetics!
Attachment Attached File

Oh and I'm going to be incorporating a bottle opener into the right side of the magwell
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top