Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2017 5:41:55 PM EDT
Going to build a sturdy workbench in my barn and could use some suggestions.  Not going to cheap out on this and want it to be solid as heck as well as look nice.

What height would you go with for working while standing? I'm 6'1" tall if it matters.

What depth?

Going to mount a vice and grinder.

Was thinking 2x6 legs and subframe with 3/4" plywood top.  It will be anchored to the wall.

It will be about 12' long.

I don't reload ammo so that's not a thing to consider.

Any tips, pictures, or other experiences/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#1]
2x4 mounted to the wall.
plywood screwed onto that.
2x4 braces with 45º ends mounted to wall/plywood top.

Rinse repeat until desired length is achieved.

Simple but fairly sturdy.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#2]
See work bench threads galore in armory and DIY sections.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm building this one when I clean out the garage.  I priced the wood at Lowes and it was under $70.

How to Build a Professional Style Workbench
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
2x4 mounted to the wall.

View Quote
2" steel lined insulated panels are what this will be butted up to.  I did mount a 2x12 behind the panels that is fastened to 4x6 posts.  It's a pole barn.  I'd think that 2x4's might be a little light when pounding, tourqing, etc?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:56:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd make it waist high and three feet deep.

That way you can stand and work without stooping or bending over and can still reach the back.

Myself, I'd build it out of heavy structural steel with a 3/4 or 1 inch plate top.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I made a 30"x 14" work bench at my last house.  The top was 2x4 splint in half and bolted together with threaded rod, cut side up..  The frame was 2x4.  To get the height right I stood on level ground with my arms bent at a comfortable position and had my wife measure from the floor up to the bottom of my arms.  This work bench was solid and heavy.  I plan on building another one like it latter this spring.  Check out the work bench threads in the DIY section.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I built a few with 4x4 legs (with locking caster wheels).  Some angled braces for the legs, 2x4 is fine.  2x6 frame on top covered with 3/4 inch plywood, it is doubled up (so top is 1.5inch plywood) I just wanted to use the whole sheet.  On top of that i stapled/ glued some scratch and dent laminate flooring from lowes.  For 10 bucks I think the flooring was actually worthwhile.  The wheels are also kinda nice (portable scaffolding), I also use it for a vise and a grinder mounted on the ends.  My dad liked it so much I built one for him also.  

The ones on wheels I made 6ft, but I have a 8ft bench also thats 30inches deep only with a single sheet of 3/4.  The long bench doesnt have a lower shelf so I can put things like pressure washer and generator underneath (definately need to brace the legs if you dont want the lower shelf).
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
2x4 mounted to the wall.

View Quote
Yup.  If you use 6x6s for the legs at 90° you can build shelves under the bench too.  

Make the top frame (that you'll screw the plywood or MDF to) out of 2x4s with studs every 1' and you will have plenty of options to mount stuff.  

Also if you get 4x8 sheets of plywood or MDF for the top just rip it in half to 2x8' and mount both, one on top of the other.  That way when your bench is messy just unscrew the top and flip it.  When that top is dirty unscrew it and toss it out.  You still have the other half of the 4x8 sheet under it.  Four tops from one $10 sheet of 1/4 wood.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I built my (messy in this pic) 4'x12' workbench with 4x4 uprights, 2x4 outside frames, and 3/4" plywood top and lower shelf, the two inner 4x4 uprights have 2x4 pieces underneath spanning from side to side to keep the center from sagging.
This thing is somewhat movable when it's not loaded, but it's heavier and sturdier than hell. 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
2" steel lined insulated panels are what this will be butted up to.  I did mount a 2x12 behind the panels that is fastened to 4x6 posts.  It's a pole barn. I'd think that 2x4's might be a little light when pounding, tourqing, etc?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2x4 mounted to the wall.

2" steel lined insulated panels are what this will be butted up to.  I did mount a 2x12 behind the panels that is fastened to 4x6 posts.  It's a pole barn. I'd think that 2x4's might be a little light when pounding, tourqing, etc?
Not at all for normal stuff.  Plenty strong when you build a frame with 2x4s.  What are you going to do on the bench?
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:14:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Build it out of steel.  You'll thank me later.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd make it waist high and three feet deep.

That way you can stand and work without stooping or bending over and can still reach the back.

Myself, I'd build it out of heavy structural steel with a 3/4 or 1 inch plate top.
View Quote
I like your style...

Attachment Attached File

As far as height, it depends on your comfort zone OP, make it the most comfortable for you to use.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Ever look real closely at street sign posts?

Get 4 of those, and  then 4 of the next size down, and some steel .

BAM!  There's your workbench....with height adjustable legs.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#14]
If you go with 2 x 6 legs, double them up, two 2 x 6's bolted or screwed together.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not at all for normal stuff.  Plenty strong when you build a frame with 2x4s.  What are you going to do on the bench?  
View Quote
Nothing to crazy. Mostly a platform to help with tinkering as well as heavier farm equipment work , should the need come about.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Build it out of steel.  You'll thank me later.
View Quote
I have steel benches at my main farm for that.  Thank you, though.  Steel benches are awesome!
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#17]
2 1/2 square tubing .125 thick. 2-3ft deep. .3/16 - 1/4  hot rolled steel top
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm building this one when I clean out the garage.  I priced the wood at Lowes and it was under $70.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEmOiH6Xh8M
View Quote
Thank you! Tag
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

I built these 2 last Fall using some Menards butcher block.  Gonna build a couple more for kid to use for computer gaming set up.  When he goes off to college I can put them in gun room or work shop.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:06:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

Another pic.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/228370/IMG-0389-177525.JPG
I built these 2 last Fall using some Menards butcher block.  Gonna build a couple more for kid to use for computer gaming set up.  When he goes off to college I can put them in gun room or work shop.
View Quote
That is awesome!  I'm going to check out the Menards nearby to see if they have it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Google work bench ergonomics. Theres actually a suggested height. I think it was something like work surface should be height of your wrist while standing with your arms at your side. Or something like that.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:14:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Every work bench needs a mounted bottle opener.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd do 2x or 3 x top
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:55:54 PM EDT
[#26]
What's your hobbies ???
Consider lighting, electrical outlets , lay-out of your presses, jigs, clamp set-ups or whatever your into.

OP google workbench images for different ideas
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:04:12 PM EDT
[#27]
My bench is 15'x24" to make use of my space. So I used 8s and 16s. 6 legs, for support in the center, and convenience to mount nailers for the top.

4x4 legs, tied with 2x4. Made it with a top and shelf underneath. Top is 3/4 5ply, sanded. Shelf is 1/2 4ply normal. The top has 2x4 "joists", 6 of them. Used joist hangers and deck screws throughout. The bottom just has 1 "joist", as I'm not pounding on it or anything crazy.

Only thing I'd do different next time is cut dados/rabbits into the posts so the screws don't bear as much load. The plywood top sits on the 4x4, but it's not ideal.

I'd also make it 3 foot deep.

When using lumber, make sure that you have ample clamps that will be able to grab your work including the bench.

When I bolted my drill press down, I used sections of 2x4 to make sure the bolts didn't tear through the plywood.

Metal is nice, but it will mess up the wood you're working on. Wood benches will get messed up by metal...

I used plywood as an inbetween. It doesn't get messed up doing mechanic things, nor does it mess up my woodworking projects.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#28]
A lot of great ideas.  Thank you!  Definitely going to add the lower shelve.  My last barn had a 30' long bench that was built like a brick shithouse (it was there when I bought the place).

Any thoughts on a reveal/overhang on the side you stand on to make clamping easy with C-clamp or bar clamp?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A lot of great ideas.  Thank you!  Definitely going to add the lower shelve.  My last barn had a 30' long bench that was built like a brick shithouse (it was there when I bought the place).

Any thoughts on a reveal/overhang on the side you stand on to make clamping easy with C-clamp or bar clamp?
View Quote
It's rare that I've ever had to do that but when I did I simply lag bolted a piece of 90 degree angle to the 2x4 face of my workbench to achieve the overhang (if that makes sense).
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Get some good, articulating LED task lighting.

Link Posted: 3/31/2017 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Standing upright with your arm hanging relaxed measure from your elbow to the floor.
Subtract 2 inches from that dimension.
That is the ideal height of your bench.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top