User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:57:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We've managed to find the one thing that the government does better than the private sector.  
View Quote
Flawless victory!
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Well considering that I do it about 3 times a week I could probably walk you through it step by step. But if you think you're being a hero by standing up for the felons that commit crimes for a profit then nothing I say is gonna convince you otherwise. 

Serious question...do you believe that a drug dealer that sells indiscriminately to any and everyone, including the police, should get to keep the money he makes from it or the car that he bought with that money?  If you do then I applause you for standing your ground. But if you don't you may need to educate yourself before making statements about something you know nothing about
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do know who 99% of those assets are taken from right?  I'll give you a hint, it's not from the people in the stories posted in GD that twist your panties.
No, I don't know so tell us please.
Well considering that I do it about 3 times a week I could probably walk you through it step by step. But if you think you're being a hero by standing up for the felons that commit crimes for a profit then nothing I say is gonna convince you otherwise. 

Serious question...do you believe that a drug dealer that sells indiscriminately to any and everyone, including the police, should get to keep the money he makes from it or the car that he bought with that money?  If you do then I applause you for standing your ground. But if you don't you may need to educate yourself before making statements about something you know nothing about
What about cases like this one?  No court conviction.  No charges filed.  No traffic tickets issued.  No proof of illegal activity, only the ASSUMPTION of of it.  

https://www.copblock.org/122541/police-seize-mans-life-savings-because-shopping-bag/
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This distinction is one only of semantics that doesn't have any bearing on the discussion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Except we run it civil too.

If only GD would learn about the legal process. Weird that a court hearing where the government must prove a link to criminal activity is required is still inadequate. Not saying some places are criminal in what they do, but GD wants to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Instead of addressing those doing it illegally, let's outlaw a perfectly legal effective practice. Nothing like punishing the masses to address the few screw-ups.
What did that just say??
The truth.  Even criminal cases seize it through civil court.  All seizures/forfeiture are civil
This distinction is one only of semantics that doesn't have any bearing on the discussion.
Which leaves me wondering why you felt the need to differentiate between the two.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've never had to forfeit anything to the police.

Hmm maybe it's because I obey laws and shit?

Yu guys worried about losing stuff should try it.
View Quote
The police don't give a shit about whether or not you are a criminal. They care about your cash, and if they find it they will take it. Some police departments actually now issue a device which allows them to drain your credit and debit cards right on the side of the road. Don't like it? Refuse to sign over your cash and bank accounts or even your car? Go straight to jail with every charge they can invent slapped on you. And you can bet you'll be resisting arrest and assaulting an officer or two along the way. If you have your kids in the car, or are on a vacation, even better. Hand over your cash (and sign here please) or you go to jail and your kids go to the closest foster abuse center. You'll sign with a fucking smile if you know whats good for you, and you'll thank that hero in blue for keeping your family safe from dangerous street thugs.

You better.

Remember this: The police are not your friends, they are not on your team, they see you as a target. They are as dangerous to your safety and financial well being as any violent street gang, and since they operate under the protection of the law you have no recourse and no hope for eventual justice.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The police don't give a shit about whether or not you are a criminal. They care about your cash, and if they find it they will take it. Some police departments actually now issue a device which allows them to drain your credit and debit cards right on the side of the road. Don't like it? Refuse to sign over your cash and bank accounts or even your car? Go straight to jail with every charge they can invent slapped on you. And you can bet you'll be resisting arrest and assaulting an officer or two along the way. If you have your kids in the car, or are on a vacation, even better. Hand over your cash (and sign here please) or you go to jail and your kids go to the closest foster abuse center. You'll sign with a fucking smile if you know whats good for you, and you'll thank that hero in blue for keeping your family safe from dangerous street thugs.

You better.

Remember this: The police are not your friends, they are not on your team, they see you as a target. They are as dangerous to your safety and financial well being as any violent street gang, and since they operate under the protection of the law you have no recourse and no hope for eventual justice.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Plenty of people who followed the law had their stuff taken by police. You can read about it in this very thread....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

but that IS the penalty imposed by law
I've never had to forfeit anything to the police.

Hmm maybe it's because I obey laws and shit?

Yu guys worried about losing stuff should try it.
Plenty of people who followed the law had their stuff taken by police. You can read about it in this very thread....
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Fuck criminals.

But if criminals were the only people who got their assets taken this process is something the public would have never heard of.
View Quote
Nor would they care about it.

Sadly, that's not he case.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Run-of-the-mill burglars don't tend to steal horribly expensive stuff, or a lot of it. They're in and out with what they can carry.
Drug lords whose assets get taken don't buy cheap stuff.
I can understand the disparity

Quoted:
Civil asset forfeiture as currently practiced should be illegal. Assets should only be taken after a criminal conviction and then only for the value of the lawful fines/penalties imposed by law and/or the fair value of items stolen or destroyed by the convicted. If the crime harmed a citizen, all assets seized and fines/penalties should be given to that citizen or their family. Nothing in excess of that should be legal.
View Quote
Do you really think the criminal element will leave their assets around to be seized if the possibility of a conviction exists?
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Which leaves me wondering why you felt the need to differentiate between the two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Except we run it civil too.

If only GD would learn about the legal process. Weird that a court hearing where the government must prove a link to criminal activity is required is still inadequate. Not saying some places are criminal in what they do, but GD wants to throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Instead of addressing those doing it illegally, let's outlaw a perfectly legal effective practice. Nothing like punishing the masses to address the few screw-ups.
What did that just say??
The truth.  Even criminal cases seize it through civil court.  All seizures/forfeiture are civil
Because it's worth differentiating between seizure of assets when someone is convicted of a crime and one whee the cops just decided something was suspicious and stole someone's money.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top