Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2017 11:48:46 AM EDT
When billions are donated to charities to feed and shelter them?

Add in the countless welfare platforms and there is still a problem?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:50:10 AM EDT
[#1]
substance abuse and/or mental illness

that and they don't want to work
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#2]
When you have millions with their hands out, a billion doesn't go as far as you might expect
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Why work when others will give you just enough to continue breathing?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:53:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Nobody's teaching them how to fish, just giving handouts.

People need to be held accountable.  Give them support while they get on their feet, and cut them off when they've demonstrated they aren't trying to turn their lives around.

Why would a bum try to work hard when someone will just take care of him?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#5]
That's easy bro.

There's two types of homeless.

1. Mentally ill. They choose to be homeless or are so out of their minds no one can care for them. There's no place to put them where they can be controlled 24/7. Or just no money to care for them period.

2.  Drug addicts. They spend all the welfare on drugs. They shit on the section 8 housing and get kicked out or don't qualify for it because of criminal history.

Do not ever trust a fucking homeless drug addict. Don't help them, don't let them in your house, don't even give them a ride. They will steal from you. They don't care, they have no conscience what so ever. They'll steal your checkbook and ruin your life.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Fraud /thread
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When you have millions with their hands out, a billion doesn't go as far as you might expect
View Quote
Puts it into perspective how fucked it would be if pinko's would have taken control. They were that close.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:56:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Fraud /thread
View Quote
Yup. Welfare frauds, charity fraud, and leftists.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
More like when the charity has executives that take home nearly a million dollars a year or running ad campaigns, paying the marketing firm, the market research, etc....

non-profit just means you spend all the money one way or another.... ie lots of bonuses. Everytime ive dealt with someone who ran a nonprofit charity thought they should get paid for their time... they'll accept all the volunteers to help with their event, accept YOUR hard earned money but again... think they should be paid for their time...
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Government support of the lifestyle, and the shutdown of proper mental institutions.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#12]
There is a shopping center near me that has a semi circle road that goes through it. Along that half mile road is about 100 businesses. At any given time, at least 10 have help wanted signs posted. Yet every single day, at either end of that road, is someone holding a sign begging at the traffic light. Some say just "homeless need help", sometimes they say "mother of three help please". Most of the time the person looks completely able bodied. Boggles my mind. I yell out "get a job then" or "help wanted sign at such and such" usually.

And I live in one of the wealthiest counties in the country.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Becuase we shelter and feed them.  You feed stray dogs you get more stray dogs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#14]
You only enable people by throwing money at them.  Cut off all charity and programs for the poor and let the problem fix itself.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:07:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There is a shopping center near me that has a semi circle road that goes through it. Along that half mile road is about 100 businesses. At any given time, at least 10 have help wanted signs posted. Yet every single day, at either end of that road, is someone holding a sign begging at the traffic light. Some say just "homeless need help", sometimes they say "mother of three help please". Most of the time the person looks completely able bodied. Boggles my mind. I yell out "get a job then" or "help wanted sign at such and such" usually.

View Quote
I live in one of the top welfare states. You would think going into the hood wouldn't be interesting, but it's actually a nice way to check out newer high end luxury cars. I mean every one has a 2016 S-class (dented in almost every body panel), or a brand new cadalac. Venture into a gas station and watch the mother pay using snap and then jump into her $80k 2017 Merc.

I refuse to believe everyone in the hood sells drugs...
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Puts it into perspective how fucked it would be if pinko's would have taken control. They were that close.
View Quote
They haven't stopped. The building of section 8 housing is only outpaced by the number of self storage units being built around here
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Most people on welfare aren't homeless, or starving, or lacking medical care. They have cars, TVs, phones, etc. They get it free. Truth is they could probably do better if they worked or got a better job, better career. But the free shit is good enough when you don't have to work.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

A basic rule of life.  Anything you subsidize or protect; you get more of.
There will always be more leeches when they are fed and housed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Because the homeless don't want to be helped. No amount of money is going to change their situation. It takes personal responsibility to change.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Its because at the end of the day, the people who are homeless and starving want to be.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Laziness and lack of personal responsibility on their part, and gross stupidity of those who vote in politicians who will give the scumbags handouts.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Because not all charities have billions of dollars just sitting around.  And not all charities want to deal with homeless drug addicts.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:14:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Trained victimhood and lack of incentive for improvement.  Only chumps work or you didn't get the memo?

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I live in one of the top welfare states. You would think going into the hood wouldn't be interesting, but it's actually a nice way to check out newer high end luxury cars. I mean every one has a 2016 S-class (dented in almost every body panel), or a brand new cadalac. Venture into a gas station and watch the mother pay using snap and then jump into her $80k 2017 Merc.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When all of your essentials are paid for.... Its amazing how far minimum wage goes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#26]
In all but the rarest of catastrophic cases, poverty and/or homelessness is a choice.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#27]
welfare is the liberals 10-20-30 however many step plan to turn everyone back into slaves.

Free Food?
Free Housing?
Free Medical care?
And eventually... here's your assigned job.  Welcome back to being a slave.

Homeless?  Mostly because we stopped housing the mentally ill in institutions for their and our protection.  Now "care" is out patient and there is lots of red tape to jump through to get these people back where they need to be.  But it isn't just that... it's also the bad economic policies that price unskilled labor out of the market that the liberals love to push under the guise of helping the little guy... when all they're doing to pushing them on to welfare so they can become slaves.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#28]
You can't  treat liberalism
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Treating only the symptoms is a longtime leftist codependency.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A basic rule of life.  Anything you subsidize or protect; you get more of.
View Quote
This is why we need to end federal welfare for having bastard kids.  The black bastard rate is over 66% I believe.  That is not good for blacks.

That is not good for America.

End that welfare and watch bastard rates plummet.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Laziness.  Plus .gov took over role as charity and care giver (with strings attached - votes).
So now there is a perpetual welfare class who have grown up for generations with that model.

Vagrants and street people are largely drug addicts, mental patients and those who voluntarily choose not to live within the construct of society.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Define homeless.

The government has a very big definition of homelessness.  So much so that I would have been considered homeless from the age of 18 - 22.

And I was never close to being homeless.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

How much $ from the charities do you think actually get used to feed and shelter them?

Many charities have operating costs, and they want to make money as well. I do not remember the numbers, but I remember reading some articles that stated how much $ donated to bigger charities is actually used to help what they say they are helping. Of course this depends on the charity....

Something something Clinton Foundation....
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

People need to be held accountable.  Give them support while they get on their feet, and cut them off when they've demonstrated they aren't trying to turn their lives around.

View Quote
This has always been a big thing of mine. Right now we are paying for them so they can buy food and rent an apartment, etc.

Instead of just taking care of people, there should be more effort into making them useful and giving them the tools to earn themselves. For example if we know there is a lack of labor in X industry, we should take a large group of welfare people, and teach them to work in X industry. Theoretically, that will give them work and eliminate the need to be on welfare.

However, you cannot help those who don't want to be helped. Many do not want to work or learn, they just want to be taken care of.....Therein lies the problem.

They don't want to learn how to fish.

Sort of like why you shouldn't feed animals in the wild, in the end you are hurting them.

Not that I am comparing people to animals, but you see what I am saying? We are not doing them any favors, and we are doing more harm than good. I outlined a program that could do this in another thread....
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:45:51 PM EDT
[#35]
According to our local homeless charity, a fair amount of people just prefer to be homeless. For whatever reason.

The charity works at getting homeless people into housing, into counseling, and into jobs to get them stable. And some people just don't want to do that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
According to our local homeless charity, a fair amount of people just prefer to be homeless. For whatever reason.

The charity works at getting homeless people into housing, into counseling, and into jobs to get them stable. And some people just don't want to do that.
View Quote
This is true.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Fraud /thread
View Quote
Thread is right. A good portion of so called charities exist only for themselves. Just do a search on Haiti and ARC. Half a billion dollars and not one house built.

Same with Clinton foundation.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Because the homeless don't want to be helped. No amount of money is going to change their situation. It takes personal responsibility to change.
View Quote
In many cases that may be true.

What is also true is the "helpers" are more interested in keeping them poor, not helping to lift them up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed.  Also, you would be amazed at the amount of money the leadership of a not-for-profit can siphon off.  The CEO gets a 6 figure salary with all his business expenses covered.  Of, course he has to do a fact finding trip to Honolulu in January.  Refurnishing the office is mandatory to impress generous donors.  Staff luncheons must be at Ruth’s Cris, not Denny’s.  Etc.

For actual examples, look at the American Red Cross’ Haiti earthquake relief fund or the Wounded Warrior debacle.

I once worked for a not-for-profit (It is not Nonprofit).  The CEO's office was the entire top floor of a high rise.  It had: reception area, huge office, conference room, dining room (silver & cut crystal), Chief's kitchen, guest bathroom, bedroom with private bath (tub and separate shower) and an exercise room.

I only donate to Salvation Army.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Homeless people often find themselves where they are in life due to broken relationships.  Sometime… somewhere… someone has generally hurt them (either physically, mentaly, or emotionally).  To be clear, I am not looking to make excuses for their decisions.  I'm just pointing out that this is often the root cause of their situation.

That being said… I ademantly oppose government taking from those who earn to give to those who choose not to earn.  Charity should be entirely voluntary.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#41]
My sister in law says she makes as much on government aid as she would working a min wage job.
Work is for suckas
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Homeless people often find themselves where they are in life due to broken relationships.  Sometime… somewhere… someone has generally hurt them (either physically, mentaly, or emotionally).  To be clear, I am not looking to make excuses for their decisions.  I'm just pointing out that this is often the root cause of their situation.

That being said… I ademantly oppose government taking from those who earn to give to those who choose not to earn.  Charity should be entirely voluntary.
View Quote
I can relate and agree to that.  But sometimes people don't want to accept that life is hard when you live in a coddled society with iPhones and healthcare for stubbing your toe.

It's still nature and in nature there is a hierarchy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#43]
welfare another Inome redistribution scheme

EOM
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Mental illness
Some people simply don't have the ability to take care of themselves. It is not laziness, or lack of willpower. Most of these end up on the streets.
Many are to proud to accept any kind of government assistance.
Many are taken care of by their families. I have a friend of a friend who makes over 100k a year, and has to be taken care of by his parents. He works from home, and hardly ever leaves the house, and only under very close supervision.

Then there are the drug addicts.
Never ever trust a drug addict. By definition, there number 1 priority is getting there fix. everything else is secondary.
No amount of housing, food, ect will help them. Until they are no longer actively using (they will always be addicted) Anything you do is simply wasted effort.

Generational welfare
People who have been taught from day one that the government owes them, expect to be taken care of by the government from cradle to grave.  Rocket science, I know.

People who are homeless "bums" by choice.
I have a relative who just bummed around for decades because the just DGAF.  Nice, honest guy, just felt there was more to life than 9-5 rat race. They slept on park benches, in tent, hitched rides, washed dishes for a week, then moved on. Didn't ask for nothing, but damn sure wasn't going to support you by taking out loans to by your overpriced shit he didn't need. Now married, and lives in a yurt with his wife, and still isn't going to support you by paying income taxes ( he barters for most of his and his wifes needs, and purposefully never makes enough cash to pay income tax)
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:52:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
And this is America, a person has the right to just not give a fuck and never hold a steady job, and sleep under the stars. Just as long as I do not pay for it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#46]
My niece-in-law is more concerned about her hair and nails than she is feeding her 2 children.  Her ambition is to "move to the nice trailer park."
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Because when you subsidize something, you get more of it, not less.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#49]
While jogging one day, I saw one of my former Soldiers homeless who was thin and a little scraggly looking.  He was homeless for a few months and had been divorced and lost his very good job as a medical worker, I dunno the reasons for it.  I take him out for lunch, get him showered, bought him a couple sets of new clothes, food, and even a pack of cigarettes.  I was going to bring him to the VA for help and shelter, but it was closing time so told him we'll do it tomorrow and I return him to the homeless park.  He walks away with all his stuff and comes back to me 5 minutes later.  He asks me for money so he can buy food and cigarettes.  I ask him what he did with all the stuff I bought him?  He gave all the stuff to someone to repay debts..  I said tough it out as I'll see him tomorrow.

I assume he either had a nervous breakdown and cracked or been taking meth or both as he'd talk to himself once in a while and giggle and laugh for no reason.

Next day he's a no show.  I look for him for a couple of weeks and he's no where to be found, guess thats one of the difficulties in trying to find a homeless person.  I see him a couple months later and he looks even thinner and has more of that homeless look to him.  I say hi and he yells at me saying I was trying to get him arrested, so he won't talk to me anymore.  Later I learned that some other Soldiers tried to take him before but he didn't want to follow their rules so left and didn't want to go to a shelter.  I don't think there's any hope for him and he's a lost cause.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 3:27:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Whatever the reason is, I am sure its really simple and is monocausal.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top