Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/28/2017 10:19:15 AM EDT
Honestly, the two ideas seem opposed to me. What are Arfcoms thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#1]
AreYouSeriousClark.jpg
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#2]
That would seem to be the conservative Republican position.

But I think I see where you're going.
"You are required to have the baby, but good luck caring for it."
Is that what you're saying?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#3]
There are women in this world who have a baby and take care of it without government assistance.

You do know that right?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm pro-life in theory. Life begins at conception, Abortion is Murder

But, I'm pro-the results of Roe v. Wade.

Since it was legalized Crime has dropped precipitously, the dirty secret is we killed a lot of the criminals before they were born.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Pretty much. You must have the baby no matter what, but you're on your own once you do.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:27:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#7]
ummm yes.

The responsibility to protect life begins at sex, not at conception. You choose to have sex, then you risk bringing a new life into the world and risk the burden of caring for that life and providing for it. If you don't want that risk that is what abstinence, birth control and morning after pill is for. What's so hard to understand about that?

If people just had more responsibility in their lives we wouldn't need a welfare state. People got along just fine for thousands of years without it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Pretty much. You must have the baby no matter what, but you're on your own once you do.
View Quote
Should I, as a conservative, also promote murdering the poor under a bridge because I do not support welfare?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm pro-life anti-welfare. Some may see issues arise by cutting one and not the other, but there are resources out there that can help the families. If .gov was the only method of survival for those situations then maybe, just MAYBE, I would have a deeper look at it, but the truth is .gov isn't the only helping hand. The only difference is .gov will take from you and me and give it to them through social programs and the other sources will ask for donations, giving what you feel you can/should.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Okay, I'll bite.

The "welfare state" is very different from making sure people don't starve.  There are programs like WIC, that most hardened conservative would support.  You get basic staples to sustain you.  That is very different from an EBT card that you can use to get Coke and Doritos.  

Moreover, this glosses over the mission that the Church is supposed to have in taking care of those in need.  When we do it, voluntary, we are showing the love of Christ.  When the government does it, it's for control and creates a sense of entitlement.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you look at abortion as wrong in principle regardless of where you are in the world, then there's no issue.
If you look at welfare state as the responsibility of the government, then that's you own personal issue. 
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are ignoring the vast multitude of private organizations that provide assistance to families or assistance with adoption.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:32:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Should as a conservative I also promote murdering the poor under a bridge because I do not support welfare?
View Quote
Are conservatives truly calling for the murder of the poor under bridges, or is it just emotions calling for support systems to help people who don't want to help themselves?

People hit hard times but if you just cave and stay in those situations what good will outside help have?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#14]
If not for abortion, the underclass would have bankrupted this country long ago.

The way our system is set up, we need abortion.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes it is possible it's just been so long that it's not percievable by a lot of people. They feel like it's too hard to accomplish raising a kid without welfare.

meanwhile single mom's skip breastfeeding/pumping to get their figure back. Have more than enough in food stamps to have money for booze and smokes then pawn the kid off on family to party on the weekend.

After all of this and going through several partners bitch about not being able to find a good man to support her and the baby.

Not giving the dad's a pass...they shouldn't have been putting themselves in a position to impregnate a woman they don't want to be with in the long term.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes.  I'm pro personal responsibility.

It's not difficult to avoid pregnancy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.  I'm pro personal responsibility.

It's not difficult to avoid pregnancy.
Well, apparently it is when you don't have to pay for it.

But when you're on the hook, suddenly birth control is easy.

Funny how that works.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm not saying I think it is consistent, but there are lots of anti-abortion libertarians. Austin Peterson who tried for the Libertarian Party nomination is anti-abortion and against the welfare state, as are many of his followers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Here's the deal.  If you lay up and fuck without protection and end up pregnant, it better damn well be with someone you married and are ready to spend your life together.  You better have the means to support that family.

If not, you are making a huge mistake that doesn't just cost your own hardships.

The way my grandfather put it to me one day, "If I have to pay for all these babies from these mammas that keep spitting them out and not working, I should at least be able to go get me a little piece when I feel horny!  It's only fair!"

It's as simple as not spreading your legs, or wearing a condom.  Pregnancy is not a "mistake" that opps it just happens.  You have to do the act and you know what can happen with said act.  In regards to Rape, thats a different story I think.

In general, there are a lot of women sadly that continue to get pregnant to mooch more money off of the Government each year.  Mo food stamps fo my baby yo!

Quoted:

Well, apparently it is when you don't have to pay for it.

But when you're on the hook, suddenly birth control is easy.

Funny how that works.
Exactly!
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
ummm yes.

The responsibility to protect life begins at sex, not at conception. You choose to have sex, then you risk bringing a new life into the world and risk the burden of caring for that life and providing for it. If you don't want that risk that is what abstinence, birth control and morning after pill is for. What's so hard to understand about that?

If people just had more responsibility in their lives we wouldn't need a welfare state. People got along just fine for thousands of years without it.
View Quote
Exactly my thoughts as well. If you dont want the possibility of having a baby then keep your cock in your pants and ladies keep your legs closed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:46:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Only if you are pro-personal responsibility. It's a rare trait.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#21]
The two aren't even connected.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:54:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you banning adoption in this scenario?  Cause there are other options besides abortion for women.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Simply put, Im pro-choice, anti-welfare.  

Abortion is a great way to reduce the welfare state.

I wish republicans would ease up on the pro life bullshit.  We'd pull in millions and millions of female voters.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm halfway through the first page and no one has mentioned adoption.  Wow.

This is a story as old as time.  My grandmother was born in very rural southern Maryland, tobacco country.  Her birth family couldn't afford to raise her.  They took her down the path and asked if a wealthier family would bring her up.  They did.  No welfare, not a penny of government money.  Everybody lived happily ever after.  It *can* happen without big.gov.  Just get some mental LASIK and rid yourself of the mental myopia.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#25]
There is no reason any able body person that has to ability to reproduce in America in the year 2016 does not have the ability to provide at  least the bare necessities for the child they produce.

Can't afford kids, then don't fuck or pony up the $5 per month for birth control. What doesn't help, is the federal govt rewarding them. Have 5 kids, but no job? Hey here is your 10k tax refund for not working...
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:57:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm pro-life in theory. Life begins at conception, Abortion is Murder

But, I'm pro-the results of Roe v. Wade.

Since it was legalized Crime has dropped precipitously, the dirty secret is we killed a lot of the criminals before they were born.
View Quote
Correlation is not causation.

That Freakonomics bullshit is just parlor room entertainment.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There is no reason any able body person that has to ability to reproduce in America in the year 2016 does not have the ability to provide at  least the bare necessities for the child they produce.

Can't afford kids, then don't fuck or pony up the $5 per month for birth control. What doesn't help, is the federal govt rewarding them. Have 5 kids, but no job? Hey here is your 10k tax refund for not working...
View Quote
Thats the big problem.  Take away the incentives and people will become responsible.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Along with cash assistance and $600 food stamps a month, HUD housing, and utilities that cost $50 a month.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#29]
You can philosophically, but, realistically, it takes a certain amount of conceit to think you could restructure society so dramatically that your philosophy is more or less reality.

I could theoretically restructure society, but chances are a whole new set of problems equally as dire as those presently would take their place.

Welfare is currently a problem because the currency is not fiat. It is lent from the federal reserve at interest, and each dollar produced decreases the value of the money already in circulation.

Also, the productive are rewarded by not reproducing while the folks who view reproducing of more value than money, or serving greater society get subsidized for their child production..

That is a eugenic program with one purpose, or one outcome, regardless of what the intentions are.

So by subsidizing child production of non workers, People who put off having children to work are being forced to pay for the children they put off having.

This is unfair. Child bearing should be equally subsidized and accommodated.

The way to do that is to change the currency system.

Or, the educational and social systems currently in place that penalize those who attempt to further their lots by putting of having children.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes.

I am pro life.
I oppose a welfare state.

It is wrong to kill children.
It is wrong to confiscate the property of one person by force of law for the express purpose of giving it to another person.

It is also wrong to infer that children will simply die without the presence of a welfare state.  That is Democrat-speak.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Killing unborn children is wrong.

Forcing people to provide for the care of others is wrong.

These are not opposing views.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
No one is forcing a woman to have a baby.  Many just don't want to be a party to the legalized murder of infants; when a woman doesn't like the results of the known risk she assumed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:22:56 AM EDT
[#33]
The welfare state promotes irresponsible behavior because it relieves the recipient of the consequences of that behavior.

If we subsidize abortions and out-of-wedlock births we will get more of both.

If we eliminate both subsidies, consequences will, over time, lower the rates of abortions and out-of-wedlock births.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you have a baby....you are responsible for raising it...with the married husband.  Anything else is bad for society.\
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pro-Choice is the mandatory position for supporters and architects of the Welfare State.

The demographics and regions that have the most abortions, are ALSO the demographics and regions that have the most children out of wedlock.

Having children out of wedlock results in increased reliance upon the State for financial support.

The demographics and regions that have the most abortions AND children out of wedlock are also the demographics and regions that have the most people on Welfare.

The demographics and regions that have the most abortions AND children out of wedlock, AND the most people on Welfare...

...vote Democrat, and vote to support the Welfare State.

This is all by design.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Welfare encourages women to have babies that they can't take care of.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#37]
People have always been "on their own" for the vast majority of human existence. Only since the 20th century has man decided the government was responsible to pay women for having kids.
Poverty is the natural state. Intelligence and hard work is the only thing that can remove you from that state, unless the government steals from the intelligent and hard working.
This is not hard.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
There are women in this world who have a baby and take care of it without government assistance.

You do know that right?
View Quote
Obviously he does not. And he probably doesn't care either.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
The reality is the welfare state is never going away. The poor will always crank out kids and others will pay for it. Only so many will be adopted into a better situation. While I think life is always the better option as kids are innocent, the reality for so many is a life poverty and crime, and as we know the vicious cycle will repeat itself time and time again.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Yeah, easily.

The real question is, if you're pro-choice because kids are expensive to raise why aren't you advocating for the euthanizing of post-birth children in state care?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Part of the solution is also fixing the way adoption is handled in this country.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The two aren't even connected.
View Quote
Oh, they most certainly are.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Many on atfcom sob when bastard babies won't get their lifetime of SSDI for "back pain".
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:47:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I see your problem.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's not either/or. You can also choose to give it up for adoption.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Oh, they most certainly are.
View Quote
No, it's not. Killing an innocent person isn't justifiable because they're expensive.

That's the argument you're trying to make, and it's a shitty one.

There is no logical or moral reason to justify abortion for any situation at all.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yeah, easily.

The real question is, if you're pro-choice because kids are expensive to raise why aren't you advocating for the euthanizing of post-birth children in state care?
View Quote
Why not just eliminate the problem at the source? What makes one life more important than the other?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
private charity, religious charity, family charity, adoption.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:49:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Fine. People could be more responsible about getting pregnant. But what then. It happened. Now what?  You can't just say that they should've been more responsible after the kid is born. Mass orphanages?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Why not just eliminate the problem at the source? What makes one life more important than the other?
View Quote
Well now you're talking about killing people just for being poor (assuming you're talking about the parents as the source)

And I don't know about you but that goes against pretty much any moral standard I've ever held myself too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top