Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2017 9:54:42 AM EDT
A former Army sniper from Colorado who was shot in the head in the line of duty in Iraq got an overpayment notice for $11,119.41.

https://news.vice.com/story/va-veterans-overpayment?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=EBB-3-28&utm_term=Editorial+-+Early+Bird+Brief
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Wasn't this announced at least a year ago or is this a new incident?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Make sure you have a lawyer or a dang good service officer represent you at the hearing & appeal.
DAV,VFW,PVA,AmVets,American Legion, talk to a service officer in a service organization...don't go into a hearing
without representation.
You wouldn't let the prosecutor defend you at your trial.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#3]
They got me on the GI Bill for $3k and some change.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#5]
That sucks, but that happens. We can hope that dudes still able to work would be able to squirrel some cash away for savings, but shit happens. The VA should just "garnish" their monthly payments by a reasonable amount for a few years to give people a chance.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#6]
GOT me for 7k.

Service rep is working on it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think that dealt with inappropriate recruitment bonuses vs overpaying disability benefits
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:15:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Army sent me a bill in 2016 for a gortex jacket i lost in the field in Korea in 99. $7xx.xx turned over to treasury and yanked from taxes. Also sent a bill for overpayment during active duty. Same thing treasury yanked from taxes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:23:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I bet most of those Disability over payments are for recoupment of paid days from Reservists and Guardsmen.  Normal every year thing.

I like how the case described in the article carefully avoids telling us why the guy was over paid.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#10]
This shit is just plain wrong

Unless the recipient cheated the government by doing something fraudulent then it is the responsibility of the government to issue the correct amount. The GI isn't an accountant, he's just another guy trying to do what is right and take what is his.

It is the job of the government to get their shit straight...not some poor GI that has never taken an accounting class.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Army sent me a bill in 2016 for a gortex jacket i lost in the field in Korea in 99. $7xx.xx turned over to treasury and yanked from taxes. Also sent a bill for overpayment during active duty. Same thing treasury yanked from taxes.
View Quote
I will add thats the first i had heard anything since leaving late 2000. The bill came out of nowhere in 2016 and they were ruthless in collecting it. It turned out to be a sizeable chunk of money for the supposed overpayment which they said was overpaid leave. I had a bunch of leave collected so when I ETS i received money for the leave. Or so i thought.  16 years later they took it all back.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:28:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
http://www.breitbart.com/california/2016/10/24/cal-national-guard-demands-return-10000-enlistment-bonuses/

This is the VA......

Not Troop bonuses
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Still an ongoing issue, the VA can be so terribly fuckered up in their accounting, it's sad. They almost got me for the full 10K weight of a separation bonus in the 90's, we managed to negotiate a 6yr payment plan.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:41:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Report of Surveys must be completed and submitted before 5 years in order to be valid. Some supply SGT fixed his books and got lucky when the system accepted it.

@uxo2 It's BOTH actually. The VA takes over repayment of enlistment bonuses' from the service branches, if the terms were not met that the bonus was awarded for. Recoupability can be discerned by reviewing the enlistment document and PPG Reg.

The VA was very commonly paying Reserve guys for their drill days, that's a NoGo, and they'll get their money back.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:46:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Report of Surveys must be completed and submitted before 5 years in order to be valid. Some supply SGT fixed his books and got lucky when the system accepted it.
View Quote
All I know is that it came out of left field. I tried digging out old paperwork but it was so long ago most i could come up with was DD214 of course. Made many calls to DFAS which was worthless. In the end i said heck with it just take it and leave me alone. Im sure in another 20 they will try again but i have paper from the treasury that states its paid. That paper is in a safe place this time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
All I know is that it came out of left field. I tried digging out old paperwork but it was so long ago most i could come up with was DD214 of course. Made many calls to DFAS which was worthless. In the end i said heck with it just take it and leave me alone. Im sure in another 20 they will try again but i have paper from the treasury that states its paid. That paper is in a safe place this time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sad part is that the $700+ Goretex could be purchased used at a surplus shop for $99 and fedexed to your old unit. But that makes too much sense for .gov. Thanks, DFAS and VA!
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was under the impression that once you cleared CIF on the way out, you were good. Whatever was missing was handled before you were allowed to fully clear and walk skip out with your dd214. Clearing supply at the company/BN level happens far before CIF does too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:58:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I bet most of those Disability over payments are for recoupment of paid days from Reservists and Guardsmen.  Normal every year thing.

I like how the case described in the article carefully avoids telling us why the guy was over paid.
View Quote
That shit happened to me too. I turned in the paperwork to have my drill pay stopped through both the VA and my reserve unit so I could just drill for points. My drill pay never stopped. I only had three years left until retirement so I just said fuck it and saved my drill pay to savings. The month after I retired they hit me with a $6k bill. I was going to pay the  whole thing off at once but the rep let me pay $500 a month for a year. out of my pension so I went that route. We bought a new central air system for the house with my reserve pay savings.

I knew getting paid for drill and being paid for VA Disability was wrong. I took steps to mitigate the pain that was about to follow when it finally caught up to me. The story is about being incorrectly paid all the while your VA reps tell you your pay is correct. If you are being overpaid, they will take it back in a heart beat, if you are being underpaid, they will hide the fact, bounce you around, lie to you, and make you get your Congressman involved to get your money back.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#20]
We don't do reports of survey anymore. We do FLIPLs. They require a COL to sign for them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was under the impression that once you cleared CIF on the way out, you were good. Whatever was missing was handled before you were allowed to fully clear and walk skip out with your dd214. Clearing supply at the company/BN level happens far before CIF does too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
True, I turned everything in of course. Except field jackets, uniforms , boots, class A and so on. Forgive me this was over 16 years ago so cant remember all the details. Then had the financials where the $$$ is dealt with including last amount of pay and unused leave is dealt with. Like i said i cant remember what all of it was called. However i did recieve a good chunk of money for unused leave. 2016 they took it all back and there was nothing i could do to stop it or have proof otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wouldn't surprise me.  After desert storm  some folks in my Guard unit found out the hard way if you are getting full drill checks and partial disability checks, when the govt figures it out they want their money back.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
True, I turned everything in of course. Except field jackets, uniforms , boots, class A and so on. Forgive me this was over 16 years ago so cant remember all the details. Then had the financials where the $$ is dealt with including last amount of pay and unused leave is dealt with. Like i said i cant remember what all of it was called. However i did recieve a good chunk of money for unused leave. 2016 they took it all back and there was nothing i could do to stop it or have proof otherwise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
True, I turned everything in of course. Except field jackets, uniforms , boots, class A and so on. Forgive me this was over 16 years ago so cant remember all the details. Then had the financials where the $$ is dealt with including last amount of pay and unused leave is dealt with. Like i said i cant remember what all of it was called. However i did recieve a good chunk of money for unused leave. 2016 they took it all back and there was nothing i could do to stop it or have proof otherwise.
Believe me. When all of this went down and i got the letters in the mail i called bullshit. I thought yep someone is trying to scam me.  So i ignored it. Then came the collection notice. Then came the letter from the treasury tax offset. Then it got real in a hurry and i started the paperwork search and the calls to DFAS. Didnt matter. They got their money.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#24]
That is messed up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:07:29 AM EDT
[#25]
If they were overpaid, then of course the gov should recoup the money.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep, happened to me. Got my rating a couple months before getting out then got a letter from the va  after etsing. It had a a form to have my unit sign forgoing pay for my drill days but I was already out so I didn't pay attention, then like 2 years later got the notice of overpayment and they didn't pay me comp and pen benefits for a couple months.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
I agree. In my case a gortex jacket 16 years later. On top of that taking $$$ for leave i never used that they paid to me upon ETS which was mine if i remember correctly. BULLSHIT. Someone correct me if im wrong.  Did you guys get paid for unused leave at ETS?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:13:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
This shit is just plain wrong

Unless the recipient cheated the government by doing something fraudulent then it is the responsibility of the government to issue the correct amount. The GI isn't an accountant, he's just another guy trying to do what is right and take what is his.

It is the job of the government to get their shit straight...not some poor GI that has never taken an accounting class.
View Quote
True but also the individuals responsibility that if he believes he has been overpaid don't go out and spend it all either.  The USG will get it back.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:14:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#30]
I received a letter stating my wife was no longer a dependent.  I would have to pay back 15 years worth of dependents allowance if I could not prove we were still married and she was alive.  I sent in the documents and have not heard anything yet.  That was over 6 months ago.  I need to call them again.  

BTW, it would have been well over 10k to pay back.  Basically 1.5 years of benefit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Meanshile, the US government pays leeches from Iraq and Afghanistan. News stories like these are disgusting.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes. They make a big deal about properly leaving your unit and EASing. Now you have a checklist that's signed and stamped by CIF. You can't get your DD214 without presenting the checklist with the required signatures and stamps. When you turn in your gear, you get a copy of your receipt that also has your signature on it. All the receipts are electronic now too. Apparently there is a .mil website where guys can go to print their CIF receipts, but I'm not sure what it is.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:25:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I agree. In my case a gortex jacket 16 years later. On top of that taking $ for leave i never used that they paid to me upon ETS which was mine if i remember correctly. BULLSHIT. Someone correct me if im wrong.  Did you guys get paid for unused leave at ETS?
View Quote
You have the option to sell back leave days for percentage of what you'd normally make or stack them all the end for paid terminal leave.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#34]
In my early twenties I worked for a multi-billion dollar private company and got overpaid about $2,500 over the course of two years. I'd received a raise and my manager at the time had mistakenly also put me in for a weekend supervisor stipend (even though I was not a supervisor at the time). I didn't notice the over payment because I was expecting a raise and a larger bi-weekly check and after taxes the stipend worked out to something like $35-$38 more per paycheck.

At the time I didn't have much money so $2,500 was a huge amount. My work asked me to repay it and I initially told them if I did it would be the post tax amount, not the gross, and they could go after Uncle Sam for the taxes part. They got really nasty and started threatening me if I didn't repay the full $2,500. Told them I would think about it and get back to them in a week. 

I contacted the state employment office who informed me that (in that state) if it was a mistake and the employee wasn't aware of the error the employer could ask the employee to repay it, but other than asking the employee was not obligated to repay. In a follow-up meeting after they were threatening to fire me if I didn't pay I eventually told them I had contacted the state and what the state advised me of and they shut up real quick and I never heard of it again. 

Unfortunately government entities - especially at the federal level - are frequently granted exemptions from the laws they create such as these.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:32:19 AM EDT
[#35]
This is why I'll never go on disability.  Dealing with the education side of VA is bad enough.  They throw money at you to begin with, then take it all back years later on a technicality.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#36]
If you're overpaid, the VA will frequently take action to get it back.  Not always though.  Lots of times it will get waived.  

DMC seems to be fairly generous with payment plans and requests for waivers.  

I'd bet a lot of it is due to communication problems - VA not clearly outlining what the problem is, and explaining it clearly.  A lot of VA letters suck.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:43:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IF

The point of the article is "good fucking luck getting the govt to prove you were overpaid."
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Reverse the rolls here..

You accidentally overpay someone for a service.

Instead of 5.00, you give them 50.00.

Do you expect to get your money back or does the person get an extra $45?

I am assuming most people want their money back...

I've seen several veterans get a pay out for VA GI bill benefits that was more than what they were qualified for.

Worse yet, they knew it. They spent the money and then complained when the VA wanted the over payment back.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

IF

The point of the article is "good fucking luck getting the govt to prove you were overpaid."
View Quote
I have seen a lot of people get 10% more on their post 9/11 GI bill than they were qualified for.

Simply checking the service members records and seeing what his actual qualification time amounts to, is not that hard.

This affects a lot of Reserve/NG members...because they try to include their AIT/Basic training time.

That time doesn't count until you have at least 24 months active duty(without any training time).
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yes. They make a big deal about properly leaving your unit and EASing. Now you have a checklist that's signed and stamped by CIF. You can't get your DD214 without presenting the checklist with the required signatures and stamps. When you turn in your gear, you get a copy of your receipt that also has your signature on it. All the receipts are electronic now too. Apparently there is a .mil website where guys can go to print their CIF receipts, but I'm not sure what it is.
View Quote
I'm familiar with the process.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Reverse the rolls here..

I've seen several veterans get a pay out for VA GI bill benefits that was more than what they were qualified for.

Worse yet, they knew it. They spent the money and then complained when the VA wanted the over payment back.
View Quote
If it was my mistake to begin with, I might ask for it back but I sure as hell don't expect it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Reverse the rolls here..

View Quote
They screwed me with the 10% overpayment, and didn't come to collect until 3 years later.  The service time they quoted?  It was a period of time AFTER I got out.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If it was my mistake to begin with, I might ask for it back but I sure as hell don't expect it.
View Quote
Up the ante.

You meant to pay someone $50...but instead pay $500...

Still don't expect it back?

Meant to pay 500, instead accidentally pay $5000...still don't expect it back?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:02:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Sucks.

Maybe they can do a payment plan.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yeah.

Let me know when we get our money back from the GM bailout.

Or Solyndra

Or Iran.

Or welfare fraudsters.

But no... better take it from veterans first.  
View Quote
Easy targets who can't really fight back.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Up the ante.

View Quote
Officer in my unit was entitled to a $5,000 bonus. Finance added a zero--overpaid him by $45,000. Last I heard, he was still fighting with finance--trying to get them to take back the money now instead of 20 years later.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:12:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Reverse the rolls here..

View Quote
So long as it is noticed and the matter is raised in a timely manner I have no issue.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Stories like this are why I will never shed a tear for any dead bureaucrat or alphabet agency minion.
To hell with all of them.
They give Jessie Jackson Jr. hundreds of thousands of dollars, forgive Al Sharpton's millions of unpaid taxes, but they will harass a wounded vet over a few thousand dollars.
Death and damnation is too kind for these people, there has to be something worse for them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Up the ante.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Up the ante.

I don't think the amount is relevant, except that I would REALLY want that money back.  The fact remains, I still made a mistake by overpaying.

Now, if it gets to ridiculous sums, the person I paid might feel compelled to pay it back, but that's on them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.

Not like it is a surprise, anyone who has served more than several days knows this happens.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top