Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hiking with a shoulder bag means a 1 to 15 mile leasurely mosey through open woods and brambles and fields. Maybe a night spent under a cedar tree. or Maybe finding a likely spot for  2 hours setting on a rock with binos looking around or reading a book.

I carry the bag on my left hip, and a rifle slung around my neck muzzle down on the right hip, or on my back out of the way with the sling adjusted snug and easily droped to bring the rifle into the ready position.. generally, the rifle is a 10/22 or 20" light weight AR with either two 30 round magazines or a 20.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think we are going to need a definition of 'hiking'.
Hiking with a shoulder bag means a 1 to 15 mile leasurely mosey through open woods and brambles and fields. Maybe a night spent under a cedar tree. or Maybe finding a likely spot for  2 hours setting on a rock with binos looking around or reading a book.

I carry the bag on my left hip, and a rifle slung around my neck muzzle down on the right hip, or on my back out of the way with the sling adjusted snug and easily droped to bring the rifle into the ready position.. generally, the rifle is a 10/22 or 20" light weight AR with either two 30 round magazines or a 20.
Dehydration and exposure to the elements are a more significant threat than anything that AR-15 is going to ward off.  A messenger bag doesn't carry water, food or shelter well; it actually carries it worse than a Civil War bedroll.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#2]
So,

one of These

And this

are on the way.

Just look at all the shit I will have strapped to me now! I'll be strapping shit on the shit that is strapped to me.

Arfcom strikes again.

all I wanted was a shoulder bag gotdangit! 1 Strap!
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:56:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If the strap is adjusted correctly, and you aren't carrying a kitchen sink, they work fine.
View Quote
Bullshit.

Unless your idea of "hiking" is parading back and forth in front of your mirror and looking "cool".
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No they dont. Ever. They put way too much strain on the soft tissue in the neck and lead to an off center gate which affects your back. The parts of your body typically strained by the pack also have a decent amount of nerves and blood vessels along with skin that is more prone to breakdown (which if you are packing for the day you will get if you use a messenger bag style system).

There is a reason most people are pointing away from this bag.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the strap is adjusted correctly, and you aren't carrying a kitchen sink, they work fine.
No they dont. Ever. They put way too much strain on the soft tissue in the neck and lead to an off center gate which affects your back. The parts of your body typically strained by the pack also have a decent amount of nerves and blood vessels along with skin that is more prone to breakdown (which if you are packing for the day you will get if you use a messenger bag style system).

There is a reason most people are pointing away from this bag.
The meat of the strap goes in front of your breast bone and over one shoulder. The weight gets put on your chest and hips. They are great for light loads. None of the things you described have ever happened to me in over 25 years of using shoulder bags for hiking and backcountry fishing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are you actually going to use the molly?  

Cause, if not, that bag draws undue attention to you amigo.  
Nice looking bag tho.
View Quote
you mean MOLLE
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#6]
You've got to love GD. OP asks a specific question. 90% of the responses are "stop liking what I don't like." Most of them seem to come from people who have never used what OP is looking for.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dehydration and exposure to the elements are a more significant threat than anything that AR-15 is going to ward off.  A messenger bag doesn't carry water, food or shelter well; it actually carries it worse than a Civil War bedroll.
View Quote
the best way to avoid being exposed to unhealthy elements is to check the 7 day forecast.

Anyway,  I have a bigger pack with all of that stuff, if I need it.

Water is easy to find, and I have the means to clean it a quart at a time..
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I've used a Maxpedition Fatboy, the smaller one, for hiking several times.  Worn across the body and attached to my belt just behind my hip, I barely know it's there as the belt attachment helps distribute the weight so it's not all on my shoulder.  And it's not much weight anyway, but I can carry a bottle of water, a granola bar, basic first aid and my Epi pen and inhaler, without any difficulty at all.    Along with a gun and a reload, a knife, flashlight, etc.  Plus I don't have to take it off to get anything out of it, or draw from it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:07:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
How much food, water, and shelter do you take on a 5 mile hike?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Bullshit.

Unless your idea of "hiking" is parading back and forth in front of your mirror and looking "cool".
View Quote
Goodbye Horses - Q Lazzarus
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
3 liters.
Sil tarp
Wind/rain jacket
Katadyn mini
2-3 granola bars.1-2 bags of tuna..drink mixes.

Plus other gear. About 25lbs total.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:20:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

3 liters.
Sil tarp
Wind/rain jacket
Katadyn mini

View Quote
that is a two and half to three hour walk where I come from.

But I don't have swamps or daily rainfall.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Shoulder bags SUCK hiking
View Quote
Amen, preach it!

I tried the whole should bag shtick and it sucked.  I had a Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack.  Excellently made bag, can't complain about the material or workmanship, but functionally it sucked huge hairy donkey balls.  Its one plus was that you could get something out of it without taking it off but other than that it sucked compared to a small day pack.  By the time you got a decent amount of gear in it, it became uncomfortably heavy on just one shoulder with no option to carry it on both shoulders.  That same amount of weight in a backpack is very comfortable.  It moves a lot since its hanging down on your hip or butt depending on how far you push it back.  When you are bending over to pick something up or similar action it always sliders around and gets in the way.    It really sucks for strapping a rain-shell or jacket on the outside.  Then it really gets in your way.  I can roll up my rain shell and put it on the outside of my day pack and forget about it.

Sold my shoulder bag for a good light backpack.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:28:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I truely appreciate all of the input, suggestions, and criticisms.

Good thread.

You guys delivered. All of you. Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP posted stuff about "15 miles" and waxed about spending a leisurely night out.  That sounds like a very romanticized view of things, especially when compared to how minimalist overnights oftten turn out.

A shoulder bag might be the go-to gear for a stroll along a nature trail where you're continually pulling a camera in and out of the bag, but beyond 4-5 miles, it starts to get old, and exponentially so.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So,

one of These

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/317173/HPGrecon-175841.jpg

And this

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/317173/camelbakcloudwalker-175842.jpg  

are on the way.

Just look at all the shit I will have strapped to me now! I'll be strapping shit on the shit that is strapped to me.

Arfcom strikes again.
View Quote
I have the older version of that pack, excellent choice.  It is really light weight but has held up well to a lot of use.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is this a fantasy hike or have you actually done this. LOL!

At any rate, shoulder bags are for around town at Best. Anything else should have straps. You can attach binos to the front shoulder straps and an accessory pouch can be attached to the waist band.

You would get better suggestions from places where people are prone to actually get out of moms basement and hike than from a bunch of tactical wannabes.

I'm sure hill people makes fine gear, there is a lot of other gear for much less.

Granite gear makes stuff for the ultralight crowd but I never warmed up to mine. I have neck/shoulder issues and need support of a real pack.

I love CamelBak but people love their ospreys as well and are probably more suited to what you are going to pretend to do.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote
That's going to be orders of magnitude more comfortable than a messenger bag after a couple of miles.  You won't have the ease of access to it, as you would a messenger bag, but it also wont become a PITA after a few miles.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3 liters.
Sil tarp
Wind/rain jacket
Katadyn mini

As of late. We do 3.6 miles..not humping in 1 hour 45 minutes.
That's with wife..kid.
Me alone with my brother its 45 minutes.
Problem here is weather.
5 miles is cake. But add 98-100% humidty..100+ heat index. You'll go through water.
Terrain varies in my area from soft sand hills to low lands/swamp. The sand sucks. Think walking on sand dunes.

Do I see people walking with a fanny pack and water bottle only.
Yup.
Do I want to.?nope.
I carry extra because the estrogens bags that live under my roof forget shit.
Like food.....or TP...
And I hump extra for them.

I can stay over night with my day pack.
Would I be in luxurious comfort.

Nope.

But I'd be dry...and hydrated.lol
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:40:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You've got to love GD. OP asks a specific question. 90% of the responses are "stop liking what I don't like." Most of them seem to come from people who have never used what OP is looking for.
View Quote
They come from people that actually hike.

I see now that the OP chose a CamelBak. They are my personal fave for shorter hikes. Some models don't work for me because of my neck/shoulder but will work fine for everyone else.

I live in a very hot humid area, very overgrown. I used to go into thick woods in search of hunting dogs, it was actually my favorite part of dog hunting. 

Nobody else would do it. I carried water, handheld GPS, phone, batteries, headlamp, leashes, and pruners along with a few other things.

I called it my "tracking pack". Sometimes the vines and briars were so think you needed to cut yourself out with the pruners.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:46:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OP posted stuff about "15 miles" and waxed about spending a leisurely night out.  That sounds like a very romanticized view of things, especially when compared to how minimalist overnights oftten turn out.

A shoulder bag might be the go-to gear for a stroll along a nature trail where you're continually pulling a camera in and out of the bag, but beyond 4-5 miles, it starts to get old, and exponentially so.
View Quote
I do have romanticized view of things. Kentucky is kind if you know her ways.

Meh, I have gotten used to shoulder bags, and minimal nights out. Sleeping rough isn't that bad once you have done it enough to get used to the idea. For most people the stress of sleeping exposed to whatever comes along in the dark is their big problem. I love Cedars because it is usually dry under them, and they do a good job of cutting the wind. Being tired,  out of the dew, and it is above freezing helps. So does strong drink. Seriously.

I can tell you have a healthy fear of nature. It is a good thing to have, nature can kill you fast.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#22]
My GR0 was steadfast and perfect at Bataan. GoRuck..proving to me, again, that it was the best ruck I have ever bought.

Christmas in July sale, whole kit, $260.00
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So,

one of These

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/317173/HPGrecon-175841.jpg

And this

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/317173/camelbakcloudwalker-175842.jpg  

are on the way.

Arfcom strikes again.

all I wanted was a shoulder bag gotdangit! 1 Strap!
View Quote
You will be more than pleased with that combo for day stuff.
The kitbag is really comfy and nice to have essentials easily accessible without taking anything off.
I've carried a 92A1 with light and extra mags in mine and still had plenty of room for gps,phone,mini fak,keys,beanie, and a few other items.

When we stop I usually drop my pack and don't really notice the kitbag.
It's awesome to be able to keep "essentials" on your body at all times when in the boonies
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Is this a fantasy hike or have you actually done this. LOL!

At any rate, shoulder bags are for around town at Best. Anything else should have straps. You can attach binos to the front shoulder straps and an accessory pouch can be attached to the waist band.

You would get better suggestions from places where people are prone to actually get out of moms basement and hike than from a bunch of tactical wannabes.

I'm sure hill people makes fine gear, there is a lot of other gear for much less.

Granite gear makes stuff for the ultralight crowd but I never warmed up to mine. I have neck/shoulder issues and need support of a real pack.

I love CamelBak but people love their ospreys as well and are probably more suited to what you are going to pretend to do.
View Quote
I have done it many times. When I was a kid 7 or 8 and up my uncle would walk me 10 miles without water in the heat of the summer. Daily. Granted most of it was through woods, but there were some very steep  hills.

You get used to things that other people cant begin to tolerate when that is the only way you know.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:57:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You will be more than pleased with that combo for day stuff.
The kitbag is really comfy and nice to have essentials easily accessible without taking anything off.
I've carried a 92A1 with light and extra mags in mine and still had plenty of room for gps,phone,mini fak,keys,beanie, and a few other items.

When we stop I usually drop my pack and don't really notice the kitbag.
It's awesome to be able to keep "essentials" on your body at all times when in the boonies
View Quote
I'm glad I made this thread.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That's going to be orders of magnitude more comfortable than a messenger bag after a couple of miles.  You won't have the ease of access to it, as you would a messenger bag, but it also wont become a PITA after a few miles.
View Quote
I have always had a mental block against day packs in the same way you do with shoulder bags.

I'm gonna try them out. It looks like a good set up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have exactly what the OP asked for, and hiking isn't the purpose of the bag as designed.

My Rush Delivery Lima and my SneakyBags TOT are great for their intended purpose, which is carrying shit like your laptop while you're commuting where you also need to take it off and on a lot. Or take stuff out of it a lot. And, as I said, the TOT is also great for carrying my Uzi if I wanted to.

But I'd get a backpack for hiking in the woods though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:03:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I have exactly what the OP asked for, and hiking isn't the purpose of the bag as designed.

My Rush Delivery Lima and my SneakyBags TOT are great for their intended purpose, which is carrying shit like your laptop while you're commuting where you also need to take it off and on a lot. Or take stuff out of it a lot. And, as I said, the TOT is also great for carrying my Uzi if I wanted to.

But I'd get a backpack for hiking in the woods though.
View Quote
My old shoulder bag is all together different from the Rush Delivery. It was probably designed for some  specific combat task in WWII.

I cant even find something like it for less than 300 dollars. And it looks like shit, and was made for hipsters..
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:12:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
If I'm going on a run in the valley, nothing.  If I'm hiking up in the mountains, and I take anything at all: 30-70oz of water; a powerbar or two; 10 oz Goretex top, 8 oz bottom; a roll of athletic tape and an elastic/Velcro ace-style wrap.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

As of late. We do 3.6 miles..not humping in 1 hour 45 minutes.
That's with wife..kid.
Me alone with my brother its 45 minutes.
Problem here is weather.
5 miles is cake. But add 98-100% humidty..100+ heat index. You'll go through water.
Terrain varies in my area from soft sand hills to low lands/swamp. The sand sucks. Think walking on sand dunes.

Do I see people walking with a fanny pack and water bottle only.
Yup.
Do I want to.?nope.
I carry extra because the estrogens bags that live under my roof forget shit.
Like food.....or TP...
And I hump extra for them.

I can stay over night with my day pack.
Would I be in luxurious comfort.

Nope.

But I'd be dry...and hydrated.lol
View Quote
I would not go with just a shoulder bag into any place I hadn't been enough times to know it extremely well, and If was planning to sleep a night, I'd already know where I'd be doing it before I left.

I wouldn't go anywhere off the main drag with a shoulder bag  in any part of Florida.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Why a messenger bag man purse for hiking?
View Quote
Like most normal guys here, I cannot see the utility of something like that for hiking.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:21:12 AM EDT
[#32]
You are going to willingly buy a purse, OP?  When is your "coming out" party?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:25:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I can tell you have a healthy fear of respect for nature. It is a good thing to have, nature can kill you fast.
View Quote
That is a better phrasing in my opinion.

I just do day hikes but even on those I take my PLB.  Here is one example:

ACR PLB

Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
You are going to willingly buy a purse, OP?  When is your "coming out" party?
View Quote
My purse self identifies as a shoulder bag.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That is a better phrasing in my opinion.

I just do day hikes but even on those I take my PLB.  Here is one example:

ACR PLB

https://www.acrartex.com/media/750913/resQlink+_72-Features.jpg?width=470&height=450&mode=max
View Quote
I have a walky that I use to keep in touch with family. If I miss two checks, they come looking.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have a walky that I use to keep in touch with family. If I miss two checks, they come looking.
View Quote
What is a "walky"  ?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:58:28 AM EDT
[#37]
I really like the Hazard 4 stuff.  For a 5 mile and under hike I use the Hazard 4 rocket sling pack:

For anything longer I use a Patrol

I have had them both for years and they have held up extremely well.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What is a "walky"  ?
View Quote
a 50 mile range 2 way radio.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:14:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hike plenty and have since I was a little kid. I think many of the posts in here come from people who won't pack light and have never used a good messenger bag for light day hikes.

To me, 25lbs of gear is overkill for a day hike. I know plenty of people who choose to hike with that much, but I don't. If you're going to carry 25lbs, you definitely need a backpack.

OP specified that he was doing short hikes based off of an ATV, and he chooses to pack light. As usual, GD doesn't read and can't fathom the idea that other people might do things differently and still do them well.

Messenger bags were developed by people who actually carry shit around all day long on their backs for a living, i.e. bicycle messengers. Turning messenger bags into briefcase-type bags is a recent thing. Many of the bags on the market today are made to be briefcases, not actual bags for carrying cargo on your back. If you take a briefcase into the woods, that's not going to work out well, even if it kind of looks like a messenger bag.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I really like the Hazard 4 stuff.  For a 5 mile and under hike I use the Hazard 4 rocket sling pack:

For anything longer I use a Patrol

I have had them both for years and they have held up extremely well.
View Quote
The Patrol looks like a great Pack. I might pick one up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:35:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Filson
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack (shoulder bag) or back pack style Osprey Daylite.

Either will fit the bill and not break the bank.
View Quote
Gear eye for the straight guy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#45]
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XLHCFK?tag=vglnk-c102-20

This is the best single shoulder bag on the market.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:49:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The meat of the strap goes in front of your breast bone and over one shoulder. The weight gets put on your chest and hips. They are great for light loads. None of the things you described have ever happened to me in over 25 years of using shoulder bags for hiking and backcountry fishing.
View Quote
yup, I actually have sown tabs on my out and about shirts to secure the strap to my right shoulder so it doesnt move around. Works good.

Packs are a trade off, In tight places, a shoulder bag makes it easier to bend the upper body to get through thick undergrowth and tight places once you get used to them.

when you get used to them, they become a part of you like a rifle or walking stick or anything else you carry long enough that you don't need to think about it any more.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Shoulder bags suck for hiking. I wasted hundreds of dollars on high-quality sling/shoulder bags finding that out. Find a small backpack instead.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The Patrol looks like a great Pack. I might pick one up.
View Quote
If you decide to go that route, and like the tan, it's WAY cheaper on Amazon: Hazard 4 in Coyote
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Filson
View Quote
Yup Filson is the only brand that makes a bag similar to mine. It is like this but bigger, with two snap closure straps instead of buckles, and a wide cloth strap with a cinch instead of a buckle.

yours for the low low price of like 400 dollars.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:10:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If you decide to go that route, and like the tan, it's WAY cheaper on Amazon: Hazard 4 in Coyote
View Quote
I am an OD green man, but it could be my winter pack. I might go ahead and do the deed. Thank you.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top