Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/26/2017 9:04:03 AM EDT
Some more derp from my home state, but luckily, not my home town. Portland has become such a gigantic cesspool.

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/35392496-75/program-tests-backyard-pods-for-homeless.html.csp

TL;DR: Government puts at tiny house in your back yard. You let a bum live there for 5 years, and you get to keep the hepatitis-infected tiny house. Government pays $365k for 4 houses = $90k/each.

What could possibly go wrong? Should be great for property values. And $90k/each? My FIL just bought a brand new 1900 square foot double wide for $72k......

From the article:

A handful of homeless families soon will move into tiny, government-constructed modular units in the backyards of willing homeowners. ­Under the pilot program taking effect this summer, the homeowners will take over the heated, fully plumbed tiny houses in five years and can use them for rental income.

“Well, there’s underutilized space in people’s backyards. What if we provide a lower-cost — but very habitable option — in people’s backyards?”

“Just because you don’t have housing, it doesn’t make you a bad person or more likely to be a bad tenant. In fact, you’d be a better tenant because you’d appreciate it,” Becca Love said. “We’ve been trying to think of a way to help out in our community because we do have privilege??...??but we didn’t know what to do.”

ETA: The government pays $75k/ tiny house, and if the landowner breaks the contract, they are on the hook for the $75k
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#1]
This surely will end well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#2]
“Just because you don’t have housing, it doesn’t make you a bad person or more likely to be a bad tenant. In fact, you’d be a better tenant because you’d appreciate it,” Becca Love said.
View Quote
LOL! 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:09:21 AM EDT
[#3]
It's only 1 bum for 5 years.
The time will fly by and now you have a club house for your kids.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#4]
90K for a tiny house, good example of Govt. wasting money.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#5]
"...you knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in..."
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#6]
THis is so freaking stupid, wtf is wrong with the people in our country? When these bleeding heart liberals are found with their throats slit from the homeless living in their back yards the libs will blame Donald Trump. I just dont get what these people are thinking with this kind of crap.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been saying for a couple of years now, since Portland is full of loving progressives, they should just adopt the bums into their own homes.
There's at least 75,000 progressive households, perhaps 100,000 or more.
Just force people to take a bum in.
Enjoy being a progressive! Show your love. If you don't take in a bum, you are full of hate.
No cost to the city (taxpayer).
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Government subsidized shanty towns.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#9]
If I was going to be a bum, Portland or Seattle are the last places I'd consider bumming. The weather is shit, rain most of the time.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Eviction laws will fuck this all up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Cultural marxists DESPISE suburbs, the freedom of movement for non-minorities, and the perceived "waste" of land in private ownership.

The marxist city's goal is to annex surrounding suburbs by:

Inhibiting suburban growth through regulation.

Cause suburban re-migration to cities.

Forcibly insert the urban poor into the suburbs through quotas and programs.

"Regional tax-base sharing,” where a state forces suburbs to transfer their revenue to cities.

Cost-force suburbanites into cities, transfer poor urbanites to the suburbs, and redistribute suburban tax money to cities, and you kill the suburbs (except for the wealthy leftist elites in their dachas.)

These communists call themselves regionalists.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#12]
People can completely trash a place in less than 6 months, let alone 5 years.

Hard no on letting anyone live in my back 40.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

You'll never get the smell out and your kids will smell like bum.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:22:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Of course, all of these bums have pitbulls service animals, so I hope these kind peoples' insurance companies don't have a problem with this.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:22:54 AM EDT
[#15]
A better option is to take a monthly rent and the gov keeps the house.

So many questions, does the gov provide water and sanitation hookups and what is the bum responsible for, like a work program?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:23:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Eviction laws will fuck this all up.
View Quote
And I can't wait.

The bum moves in, fondles the kids, beats up the "man" of the house, rapes the wife... the courts don't do shit about it and the tenant's rights laws make it impossible to evict him from the property.
I hope it turns into a "Cape Fear" rerun (with alternative ending) for every one of those fucking hippies.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Of course, all of these bums have pitbulls service animals, so I hope these kind peoples' insurance companies don't have a problem with this.
View Quote
Bums invite their bum friends over and have all night hobo parties in the backyard
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#18]
After they claim squatters rights, refuse to leave, or totally trash the place then tell us if was a great deal.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
In my town, bum just burned down an entire row of storage units in less than 30 minutes. I couldn't imagine what it would smell like in there after 6 days, much less 6 months; assuming the structure is still standing.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:25:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, let's see how well that goes over in the spendier neighborhoods. Lawsuits incoming...
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#21]
LOL

I hope they do it. We'll be able to hear their liberal bubbles bursting all the way in Texas.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Oh man, the sheriff's dept. is going to be BUSY with evictions in five years.

Also anyone in the area should get their business license and grease some palms so they can get the sweet gig that will come with refurbing these things.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:31:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Does anyone see the irony in this?
The libitards are giving the homeless a home, taking away their identity, their one title in society.
Wait until the NHA (National Homeless Association) get ahold of this, gonna mess with our
membership!
Do the bums have to claim the rent they dont pay on their tax returns?
How will this effect the bums retirement? Will they loose their 401k's.
These things have be considered.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Humans living today in any country, are the top 0.01% wealthiest people to EVER exist in history.

Other than a temporary bumps in the road while people readjust their priorities to their new reality (after losing a job or something), there is no practical reason why people would be homeless.   The most likely reason is an all encompassing addiction or other serious (by serious I mean bad enough it affects their own well being daily) mental health issue.

Soooo yeah,... this is a BAD idea.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#25]
goverment provides, people value the property for what it cost them (nothing).  Will have to pay for disposal cost in 5 years, but will have to pay for crimes and filth for the next 5.

FEMA trailers only cost about $19k new, and were a lot larger...  Only problem was idiots not knowing how to live in RV's.  Or more over knowing not to live in an RV, but just to sleep in one.  You need forced fresh air ventilation during the day while your ass is at work.

FWIW new improved FEMA mobile homes are over 100k.  Good thing we can print money.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#26]
I can't wait until the government says "we changed our minds, you have to keep them for another 5 years if you want to keep the house".

What would it really cost to build one of these tiny houses? $5k?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If I was going to be a bum, Portland or Seattle are the last places I'd consider bumming. The weather is shit, rain most of the time.
View Quote
When its raining, and they are panhandling, I've been known to hand them soap.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#28]
LOL. No.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Libs never think of the unintended consequences, of their "feel good" actions.  

Which makes them idiots....
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:58:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Even less than 6 months.  Good luck getting the smell out.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Honestly, to build these correctly would cost a bit of money.  Probably a lot cheaper to institutionalize the homeless.  But that feelz wrong.

To do one right, it would need most of the fixtures of a larger house, plus a superior designed ventilation system (since it will not have the dilution effect of larger interior space - the FEMA trailer problem).  That said, for 95k, I bet you could get a Yeti house.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Fuck no.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm waiting for a bunch of people to get a dose of reality from this.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#37]
A section 8 voucher for an apartment would cost maybe half that in 5 years.  Also going to go with a hell no on this one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
LOL! 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
“Just because you don’t have housing, it doesn’t make you a bad person or more likely to be a bad tenant. In fact, you’d be a better tenant because you’d appreciate it,” Becca Love said.
LOL! 
So what your saying is that Section 8 housing isn't kept 100% perfect by the appreciative tenants?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:32:56 AM EDT
[#39]
Absolutely not.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
That always smells like a soup kitchen because of the bum-orgies and old mustard.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
A section 8 voucher for an apartment would cost maybe half that in 5 years.  Also going to go with a hell no on this one.
View Quote
Gee, for some reason developers seem reluctant to invest....
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Your title should read Portland (Eugene, Salem...) Outside of those libtard areas that shit does not happen.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Homeless folk are human beings, usually very troubled ones, but made in the image of God no less than I am.

There are way better thought out, less expensive, more sustainable, more dignified, non-governmental ways to address homelessness than this cuckoo "plan."
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Your title should read Portland (Eugene, Salem...) Outside of those libtard areas that shit does not happen.
View Quote
For now, yeah. Portland/Eugene/Seattle/NY/San Fran are the Petri dishes for the toxic bacteria of  liberal feelz-based policies.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:46:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Homeless folk are human beings, usually very troubled ones, but made in the image of God no less than I am.

There are way better thought out, less expensive, more sustainable, more dignified, non-governmental ways to address homelessness than this cuckoo "plan."
View Quote
Yeah: trade their labor for resources that they can use to provide for themselves.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:49:53 AM EDT
[#46]
After the bums move in they will be having soup kitchens in all of the Priuses of the homeowners.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Can folks pick their own bum? Like a distant cousin from SC or an old army buddy going through a rough patch that is currently in California? If so I could see some merit to the program.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Can folks pick their own bum? Like a distant cousin from SC or an old army buddy going through a rough patch that is currently in California? If so I could see some merit to the program.
View Quote
Also, if the wife gets mad and kicks me out, can I claim homeless status?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#49]
You mean that a bum and his tiny house gets to sit on your property without paying rent?  Surely, you jest when the city says you get to keep it after 5 years?  Not until the tax bill shows up.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sadly,they seem to get the most free shit in these places.....  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top