Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2017 7:16:47 AM EDT
Found a 1968 Sears catalog that I bought at a garage sale a while back. Now them were salad days.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:19:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:23:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I remember when there used to be one in every bathroom next to the crapper.
View Quote
Thats where this one is going.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thats where this one is going.
View Quote
That's where this thread is going as well.

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:36:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Man, I used to love going thru the Sears catalog!   Tho by the time I came along, they didn't have any military surplus, only the Ted Williams stuff.   Damn shame what a shitshow Sears has become.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:43:15 AM EDT
[#5]
How the mighty have fallen.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:49:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Man, I used to love going thru the Sears catalog!   Tho by the time I came along, they didn't have any military surplus, only the Ted Williams stuff.   Damn shame what a shitshow Sears has become.
View Quote
They mismanagemed the company by putting their head in the ground when the internet became a thing and online sales began replacing brick and mortar retail.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
With proper management, Amazon .com would instead be Sears.com.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#9]
any chance of getting a better a better scan/photo of that page?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:14:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Sears .22LR (my first) with a cherry stock sitting in the safe right now, needing some TLC and loving, maybe I'll take her out and shoot her soon.

Probably made by Marlin, I'm guessing but it was a solid piece.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:32:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
My first gun was a Ted Williams .22 rifle purchased out of the Sears catalog.  

12 years old and still have it 39 years later, along with the factory scope.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Catalog sales were a big part of Sears' sales for generations. Properly managed at the right time Sears.com could have occupied the place that Amazon.com has today.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I remember when they sold the Sir Edmond Hillery snowmobile.
It featured a Clinton engine.

My friends had one, it was the worst snowmobile ever...

The Hillery Clinton.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:50:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Cool story, Grandpa.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I grew up with almost everything Sears.    Toughskins and Roughhousers for jeans. Back to school shopping was an August morning at Sears. Almost every tool my grandfather had was Craftsman. Our appliances, even my Atari cartridges were usually Sears. 

It it is really sad what they have become. They seem to have replaced Kmart and Kmart is next to dead, where it seems Sears will most likely follow. 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#17]
They seem to have replaced Kmart and Kmart is next to dead, where it seems Sears will most likely follow.
View Quote
KMart owns Sears. Any more questions?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:04:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
An M-1 carbine?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They mismanagemed the company by putting their head in the ground when the
internet became a thing and online sales began replacing brick and
mortar retail.
These, unfortunately.   Sears was known for mail-order sales; fer Chrissakes, it's what they built their fukkin' marque on!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
An M-1 carbine?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

An M-1 carbine?
GOT-damn right, man!   Shitter rats are vicious little bastidges!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Catalog sales were a big part of Sears' sales for generations. Properly managed at the right time Sears.com could have occupied the place that Amazon.com has today.
View Quote
Pretty much a pipe dream.  Old organizations don't adapt and have lots of baggage.  Not that those running it aren't complete morons... they are.   But look at what the internet and technology have taken down...

Bookstores
Music stores
Video rental stores
Photo developing stores
Circuit city
Radio shack

What's dying

Record companies
Cable tv
Kodak
Brick and mortar
Us mail
Macy's
Best Buy

List goes on forever.  Who has adapted?   Probably a nice tidy list
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Pretty much a pipe dream.  Old organizations don't adapt and have lots of baggage.  Not that those running it aren't complete morons... they are.   But look at what the internet and technology have taken down...

Bookstores
Music stores
Video rental stores
Photo developing stores
Circuit city
Radio shack

What's dying

Record companies
Cable tv
Kodak
Brick and mortar
Us mail
Macy's
Best Buy

List goes on forever.  Who has adapted?   Probably a nice tidy list
View Quote
Unfortunately, you're prolly right.   Blockbuster video, Hollywood video, both gone now.  Blockbuster could have been Redbox or Netflix, but they weren't.

The Mart of Wal has online sales, tho, and you can pick up in store.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Well, they were leaders in recycling too. Way before recycling became a thing. When the new catalog arrived, you moved the old one to the privy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
KMart owns Sears. Any more questions?
View Quote
Actually it's the other way around.  Sears Holding owns K Mart.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#25]
That is the exact lathe that I inherited from my grandfather. Along with a Craftsman bandsaw, drill press, jointer, and sander, most from the forties to the sixties. 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I used to wear out the Sears catalog, lusting after stuff we could not afford.  I remember how badly I wanted a Ted Williams shotgun, but it never happened.

Sad to see how they haven't managed to shift their business model  to remain relevant.  I seem to be in the minority of folks who are not celebrating their demise.  Less B&M competition is a bad thing.  They are also still useful.  I was looking for a toolbox locally the other day.  Checked HD and then Lowes.  Selection sucked.  Dropped by Sears and was blown away.  20 times the toolbox selection of those two places.  Are they made as well as they were 30 years ago?  No, but nothing is.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Wife worked LP there from 1998 to 2004. Lost her job when she came back from having cancer. She went back two years ago and works 30 hours a week PT. 

Sears has never been fun however it used to not be pathetic. She says that the few customers that come in ALWAYS bitch about how bad Sears is now. The employees are all hammered so much they have started telling them to GTFO then. It's a vicious circle. There is no morale left at the stores here. My wife is just riding it until it craters just to say she outlived them
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I seem to be in the minority of folks who are not celebrating their demise.
View Quote
Celebrating?  No.   Saddened by the completely unnecessary, purely-out-of-stupidity demise of yet another once-great American institution?  Yes.   That being said, I will "celebrate" their end in the same way I celebrate when an animal in pain is put down, ending their misery.

With some few nelsonhaha.jpg for the idiots on the board of directors, who will have that failure on their resumes forever.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I still have my Ted Williams bolt action shotgun and a couple TW 7.5 hp OBs.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I miss the wish book days.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I still have my Ted Williams bolt action shotgun and a couple TW 7.5 hp OBs.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#33]
My dad bought 3 M1 Carbines back in the day for 60 bucks each. Said they looked brand new when he bought them. Still has two of them.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:59:04 PM EDT
[#34]
My late wife was born in 1949. She grew up in a Sears Catalog Home. My 90 year-old mother-in-law still lives in it. Her parents did not build the house, only purchased it after WW2.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears_Catalog_Home#Existing_Sears_Homes
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My late wife was born in 1949. She grew up in a Sears Catalog Home. My 90 year-old mother-in-law still lives in it. Her parents did not build the house, only purchased it after WW2.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears_Catalog_Home#Existing_Sears_Homes
View Quote
I grew up with everything Sears, and now I also live in a Sears kit house.  It was put on an existing foundation of a house that burned twice.  It wasn't quite the right size, so a lot of the structure doesn't line up the way it should or even run the direction it should.  It is a bit of a cluster fuck, but it is over 100 years old, so it has more or less settled in.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I remember looking at the guns in the catalog................shame they don't do that anymore. I remember when it was Sears, Western Auto, Otasco and Roses Department store where you could get some pretty cool guns
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#37]
I own three guns purchased at SEARS

Believe it or not most SEARS stores had a sporting goods section on par with a Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops. Guns, ammunition, boats, fishing tackle, good boots but all at prices a working man could afford.

Oh, and this was all inside shopping malls too.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#38]
I remember in staff meetings there the senior level execs were so out of touch with store operations and not listening to the feedback of the front line store managers and younger corporate managers who came up through the ranks starting in the retail side in college.

• They thought the brands were invincible.
  • Thought soft line could generate the sales and bottom line dollars the hard lines did.
  • Then didn't care about store ops and the ease and advantages competitors gave customers - counted on brand loyalty.
  • Thought the credit card revenue would be enough.
  • Refuse to give Sears Charge credit to the the loyal widows who had always bought under their husbands names in the glory years. 
  • Never recovered from the lawsuits and bad press in the early ...90's? 
  • I was told an under cover 'news' grabbed a used battery out of an auto center, then cleaned it up and took it to an associate, who rang them up, then the news team wanted to run an expose that used batteries were being sold. Sears was the whipping boy back then. The story went executive management called the network boss and said if you run this lie, we will instruct the agency to pull ALL advertising from your network. Sounds logical nowadays, but back then pushing back to defend the brand was new. 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:04:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I own three guns purchased at SEARS

Believe it or not most SEARS stores had a sporting goods section on par with a Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops. Guns, ammunition, boats, fishing tackle, good boots but all at prices a working man could afford.

Oh, and this was all inside shopping malls too.
View Quote
I remember that! once outdoors stuff was puled that area never had a good fit of products.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#40]
My first gun was a new Sears .20 gauge shotgun.  Christmas of 1966.

Still have it. Pics are not of my gun, I was just to lazy to dig mine out of the safe........

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#41]
I remember when all the department stores like Sears, Monkeywards, Kmart etc all sold guns. Those really were the good old days.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#42]
I remember fondling a shotgun at Sears back in the '70's. I was probably 9 or 10.  Sales guy yelled at me and said something about not being kids toys.  Maybe I should blame him, or thank him for having my collection now?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:29:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Actually it's the other way around.  Sears Holding owns K Mart.
View Quote
that's the name they operate under, but KMart bought out Sears in 2004
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:10:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have a Sears "Ted Williams" shotgun. It's a Winchester 1200.

Heck....I still have boxes of Sears & Roebuck shotgun shells.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:13:26 AM EDT
[#45]
I was with ya all the way up until the point of "Now them were salad days."

You killt it. You dun killt yer thread.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:30:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
They mismanagemed the company by putting their head in the ground when the internet became a thing and online sales began replacing brick and mortar retail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sears & "Sawbuck" went down the tubes because of the on-slaught from Wall-Mart. They shut down their west coast distribution center in East. L.A, and closed down the west coast headquarters in Alhambra, CA(5 mile east of L.A.) in order to save money.

And then then insult on top of injury, they closed  down their catalog sales division, which was a huge mistake, they had the makings of what today's internet sales model. IMHO, with a few minor tweaks they could've made it big in the internet sales, but alas 'should have, could have."
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 2:42:32 AM EDT
[#47]
I used to love Sears, mostly because of the paycheck. Then they laid me off a few weeks ago. Now it sounds like Eddie Lampert doesn't have much hope in the company either.

No more employee discount, (no big deal to me though) dirty stores, filthy everything else, empty shelves, and it's incredibly hard to fire employees who are blatantly stealing. (I worked in AP management)

The culture of that company is becoming corrosive. You get thrown under the bus for the stupidest little thing.

I should really start my own thread about my time at Sears, maybe several. Working with Sears upper management, retarded shoplifters, and how cheap they are. Cheap as in I had to buy my own rubber gloves to deal with gross smelly people, weekly vomit/feces/urine/blood cleanup etc.

I will say this though, I met a LOT of great people working there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:16:24 AM EDT
[#48]
$105 in 1968 is roughly equal to $725 in todays dollars.

As you are perusing that '68 catalog, just multiply every value by 7 to give you
todays cost.  I think you will be surprised at how inexpensive, relatively, many
things are today.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:19:36 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm SAD that Sears is continuing to die...

In the 70's, going to Sears at the Mall was Big MoJo.

We bought most of our clothes there, Dad definitely bought his tools there (I have them still working great), we always got batteries and tires (not to mention other auto service done there)...

Bought lots of camping gear from my Boy Scout days, not to mention Hunting and Fishing gear there.

Of course the Photo Sessions that I (as all kids do) detested...

It was THE go to store...

To see it plunge so deep that it doesn't look like a recovery is possible is so very sad.

With their Catalog sales experience and logistics, they could have dominated Web shopping if they had gotten behind it early.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top