Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2017 10:38:47 PM EDT
In the market for a new car. My old 2004 Acura TL has 195k miles on it and nearly exploded on a road trip last week. On my way back I saw a new maxima and it caught my eye. What say the hive?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Matter of choice. Nice V6, but mated to a CVT. Pretty nicely equipped, but it's a big ol mother to be Nissan's 4-door sports car. usual Nissan quirks.

I looked at it and got (my first ever) 2016 Kia Optima SX Limited. Cheaper than the Maxima and has more standard equipment and useful gizmos. It has a 2.0-liter turbo 4-cyl, but it runs like a V6 ... in fact, I traded my 2015 V6 Acura TLX for it and never looked back. Mileage is the same as the Acura, but it runs on Regular gas.

Do yourself a favor and look at the Optima.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Accord V6 Touring
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:23:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 2016 Maxima.  It runs like a scalded dog. 300 HP v6, 0-60 in under 6 seconds.  I get 32-36 MPG on the highway, 30 mixed.   Rides great and handles well.

I love the CVT.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:27:14 PM EDT
[#4]
does your family hail from the country to our south? there is your answer.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I just can't get excited about a luxury fast sedan that is fwd.

I would go find a used lexus gs for the same money.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would go find a used lexus gsCamry for the same money.
View Quote
Save your money and forget the fancy stick-ons.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#7]
2004 Acura with 195k about to blow up?  Did you even take care of it?   I have an 08 Accord  with 298k and have never had a problem of any kind with it.  I would get an Accord if I were you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:41:13 PM EDT
[#8]
The new nissan cvt in the 2016+ maxima isn't the usual cvt. The car is great. A few more bells and whistles than I care for (I have yet to use the navigation in my 2016 silverado) but they are a great vehicle. I been working for nissan for 13 years. Never has Corp brought a car and made the dealers drive. But they did for the maxima. At least drive it then choose.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:58:30 PM EDT
[#9]
For the money buy a used Infiniti or Lexus.

For even less money get a Mazda 6 or Camry.

If you're nuts, find a blown RX8 for cheap and get a shop to do a LS swap.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:01:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Seems like every time I see a Maxima or Altima in my daily travels, they're driving like complete maniacs.  Anybody else ever notice this?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:16:10 AM EDT
[#11]
2011'er....

carforum.com and your own decision....

make up your own mind....fukk

jeez...some people will bring a hangnail to ar15.com..wtf?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:21:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
does your family hail from the country to our south? there is your answer.
View Quote
What?  South of Somalia?

The Max is built in Tennessee
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:05:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
2011'er....

View Quote

This is literally what this forum is for.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:21:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For the money buy a used Infiniti or Lexus.

For even less money get a Mazda 6 or Camry.

If you're nuts, find a blown RX8 for cheap and get a shop to do a LS swap.
View Quote
I picked up a loaded 2013 Infiniti G37, 25K miles, for $18K 2 months ago.
Only downside is using premium gas.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:41:00 AM EDT
[#15]
My rule for nissans is as follows-

Put it in the trash can.

Seriously... in the past year i believe nissan had the most threads in GD with problems...

Yes they ride nice, the interior is decent. Paint is crap, design is crap, trans is crap, electrical is crap, resale is crap.

My moms rogue has had two trasmissions. AND the bolt that holds the seat belt latch onto the seat fell out, my mom doesnt even wear her seat belt! BUT she told the service advisor and they said "we'll have to order the part" and gave her car back without a seat belt! WTF?!? I took a look, bolt was under the seat, applied some red lock tite and a 10mm ratcheting wrench and 5 min later she was good to go! That dealership is dead to me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:50:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
2011'er....

View Quote
13er
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:01:54 AM EDT
[#17]
What's wrong with a pickup truck, sweetie? 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:06:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I would go find a used lexus gs for the same money.
View Quote
This. We are a Toyota family and my dad has had two Lexus vehicles and cranked out 300k each with minimal headaches. Great vehicles and very comfortable.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#19]
if my damn bought New 95 Maxima would blow up I'll let you know.  
been driving it like a stolen rental for 22 years ,runs great still.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:03:12 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm driving a 2017 Maxima as a rental. I like it. It's fun to drive, comfortable, and seems well designed.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:03:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My rule for nissans is as follows-

Put it in the trash can.

Seriously... in the past year i believe nissan had the most threads in GD with problems...

Yes they ride nice, the interior is decent. Paint is crap, design is crap, trans is crap, electrical is crap, resale is crap.

My moms rogue has had two trasmissions. AND the bolt that holds the seat belt latch onto the seat fell out, my mom doesnt even wear her seat belt! BUT she told the service advisor and they said "we'll have to order the part" and gave her car back without a seat belt! WTF?!? I took a look, bolt was under the seat, applied some red lock tite and a 10mm ratcheting wrench and 5 min later she was good to go! That dealership is dead to me.
View Quote
This the only good, reliable Nissan's were the ones made in Japan. The last time the Maxima was made in Japan was 1999 iirc.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#22]
I rented one a few weeks ago. It was a fun, comfortable car. A lot more power than most of the other cars I have driven over the years.  Felt well built. I would get one if I didn't need a truck.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#23]
The dip shittery is deep in this thread.

I was working for Burlington Northern Railroad in 1992 (now BN-SF). The year Honda opened moved all Accord production to their 1982 built Marysville, OH plant.

Honda couldn't GIVE those cars away. We had 5,500 brand-new American made Accords sitting on a tarmac at the Air Force base in Lincoln, NB because NONE of the dealers would accept delivery on them. We had dealerships blocking trucks from unloading new inventory at their lots.

They ALL wanted the last of the Japanese made cars and refused to accept the Marysville cars.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Make sure you test drive it hard!  It most likely has a CVT transmission and they SUCK!  Sluggish, delay on take off, dangerous if you need quick acceleration!  My 2015 Honda Accord is a fuck'n PIG, because of this CVT SHIT!  Good Luck!
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:34:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Make sure you test drive it hard!  It most likely has a CVT transmission and they SUCK!  Sluggish, delay on take off, dangerous if you need quick acceleration!  My 2015 Honda Accord is a fuck'n PIG, because of this CVT SHIT!  Good Luck!
View Quote
Whatever trans is in the new maxima is not sluggish at all.  I didn't pay attention to weather it was a cvt or not. I have not driven a car in years that has put my head back into the seat like the maxima did. For some reason the front tires broke traction a number of times while I had it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Test drove it finally. CVT doesn't bother me. Handled and drove real nice. Better than my old TL. Interior is excellent and feels like I'm back in the cockpit.

My concern is how well the nissans hold up over the long haul. I keep my cars for 7-10 years and put 150,000+ miles on them. I'm not worried about the resale at that point as it's only going to be worth a few grand when I'm done with it no matter what car I buy.

If I spring for the maxima, will it hold up that long? 0% financing is hard to beat right now.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd push a Yugo around before I drive a fucking Nissan.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'd push a Yugo around before I drive a fucking Nissan.
View Quote
Why?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Test drove 10-12 cars before I purchased my Toyota Avalon.  I drove both the Altima and Maxima and liked them both enough to make my top 5 list.  The Maxima was more "luxury", had better head room space, and less road noise.
I think the Maxima was number 3 on my list which was basically:

1. Toyota Avalon - Best combo of affordable, space, luxury, and quality
2. Toyota Camry (4-cyl) - Affordable quality.  Lacking in space and headroom.
3. Nissan Maxima -
4. Honda Accord - Good affordable quality.  Lacks headroom and didn't want anything with a rubber timing belt that had to be changed every 75k miles.
5. Nissan Altima -
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I bought my 20 year-old a 2016 SR..the sporty one, she had a 2016 Altima V6 that she loved but she called me after she saw a Maxims. So off to the dealer and I drove a P.O. SR model ..i loved it. The wife wants one now so I may be getting her one. My FIL..just got a 17 Murano Platinum, I have a 2015 PRO 4X Xterra. My 16 year old boy is getting the NISMO R..Juke.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Nissan is garbage.  Its also extremely popular with the urban market.

*die hard Toyota buyer*

1.  Used ES or GS 350
2.  V6 Accord
3.  Avalon
4.  2018 V6 Camry.  You will have to wait until August.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Why?
View Quote
Their CVT transmissions are over-engineered pieces of shit for one thing. Key fobs, power windows, and anti-theft systems are problematic as well and will bring you back to the dealer where you will have to scrap to get anything done. I don't know how it is where you are but the Nissan dealers around here are crooks and scam artists.

Fuck Nissan.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top