Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/25/2017 7:23:58 PM EDT
Wife recently gave a presentation on veteran's law (primarily VA disability compensation and VA health care) to a bunch of 18-22yo college students.  30 minutes of presentation, 30 minutes of time for questions.

During the presentation portion, she discovered the following:
--none of them could tell her when the Vietnam War was.  Not even which decade.
--none of them could tell her which war followed World War I.
--none of them knew that Selective Service registration for males to be conscripted still existed.  THAT got the students' attention.
--none of them knew anyone in their family who had served in the military.

BUT! when she opened the floor for questions, the very first question was, "Why should we take care of veterans who served a racist government who is equivalent to ISIS in its policies overseas?"  I SHIT YOU NOT, THE VERY FIRST QUESTION COMPARED VETERANS TO TERRORISTS AND THE US GOVERNMENT TO ISIS.  And this is NOT a remarkably liberal college.

The next several decades in which the Millenials (and earliest Gen Zs) rise to power will be a VERY ugly time in US history.  BTW, the Millennial cohort (roughly 19-36yo) is even bigger than the Baby Boomers...
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Thread title should be "American schools suck".

They've been taught (or not taught) all of that in school.

Oh and by their Leftist parents.

Take heart though, being right wing is the new counter culture and kids love counter culture, so there's hope yet.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#2]
FPNI
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Where/how, exactly, did she find this audience?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#4]
To be fair, the Russian Civil War really isn't taught in American schools.  Nor is the Irish War of Independence.

The Second Anglo-Boer War, 1899–1902

The First World War, 1914–1918

The Russian Civil War, 1917–1922

The Irish War of Independence, 1919–1921

The Irish Civil War, 1922–1923

The Second World War, 1939–1945
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To be fair, the Russian Civil War really isn't taught in American schools.  Nor is the Irish War of Independence.

The Second Anglo-Boer War, 1899–1902

The First World War, 1914–1918

The Russian Civil War, 1917–1922

The Irish War of Independence, 1919–1921

The Irish Civil War, 1922–1923

The Second World War, 1939–1945
View Quote
She asked which war the US was involved in subsequent to WWI.  The answer was WWII, obviously. They couldn't even suggest the name of any war.  But thanks for playing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not gonna give enough details to arock her.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#7]
It's over. The USA will soon cease to exist as we have known it. RIP.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#8]
The baby boomers gave us abortion. Their grandkids and great grandkids might just give us euthanasia.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

She asked which war the US was involved in subsequent to WWI.  The answer was WWII, obviously. They couldn't even suggest the name of any war.  But thanks for playing.
View Quote
US sent troops were sent to Russia during Russian Civil War.  Which was after WWI. Can I still play?

I hate myself for using this citation, but since I am not using it for a grade:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Expeditionary_Force_Siberia
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#10]
What was her answer to the first question?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Someone should tell those kids that their cars wouldn't run without the blood of all the people we killed and converted into oil after we made sure they were harshly educated on the way America does shit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
You didn't provide this information in the OP.  And the US was involved in the Russian Civil War, so the answer, is not WW2 obviously.  Shitty question.

Russian Civil War
(1918–1920)

White movement
United Kingdom (British Empire)
    United Kingdom
    Canada
    Australia
    India
Japan
Czechoslovakia
Greece
Poland
United States
France France
Romania
Serbia
Italy
Republic of China (1912–49) China

Russian SFSR
Far Eastern Republic
Latvian SSR
Ukrainian SSR
Commune of Estonia
Mongolian communists Defeat

Allied withdrawal from Russia
   Bolshevik victory over White Army
   Victory for pro-independence movements in Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Poland
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#13]
This is why i believe every swinging dick should have to serve 2 yrs in the military.

And when i say serve, non of this BS new Army shit, old school getting smoked all night and moping the parking lot in the rain in full
kit.

My buddy begged me to be a JROTC instructor with him, after what he told me I would be fired/sued/or in jail for assault or murder before
my first year was complete.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Those pesky millennials.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:01:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
They didn't know what that meant....and I think aggressive questioning allows them to hide their ignorance with arrogance.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is why i believe every swinging dick should have to serve 2 yrs in the military.

And when i say serve, non of this BS new Army shit, old school getting smoked all night and moping the parking lot in the rain in full
kit.

My buddy begged me to be a JROTC instructor with him, after what he told me I would be fired/sued/or in jail for assault or murder before
View Quote
If you want to destroy the quality of the military that'd be a great way to do it.

Most people are not cut out for the military and no amount of yelling or hazing will change that, you'd just be wasting time and resources that could be better utilized elsewhere.

Volunteer military is the way to go.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They didn't know what that meant....and I think aggressive questioning allows them to hide their ignorance with arrogance.
View Quote
Doesn't matter if they knew what it meant or not.  The next war after WW1 the US was involved in was the Russian Civil War.  OP's wife doesn't even know the answer to her own question(s).
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:07:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It's over. The USA will soon cease to exist as we have known it. RIP.
View Quote
FALSE

I'm a college student and like myself roughly 50% of the people in my classes are veterans.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#19]
You dirty hippies raised us, now go enjoy your social security or something

(I would have had no trouble with those questions )
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you want to destroy the quality of the military that'd be a great way to do it.

Most people are not cut out for the military and no amount of yelling or hazing will change that, you'd just be wasting time and resources that could be better utilized elsewhere.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

kit.

No you just have conscript Battalions rulled
with draconian leadership.

Belive it or not pain equals compliance. 

Hell we can use them to pull details while the real Army trains.

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#21]
It's not just college students, the days of patriotism are gone. 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#22]
I go to an Ivy League University for grad school... it's full of fucking pussified weak-kneed cucks. It's pathetic really.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#23]
A couple months ago I was talking about Berlin to one the new kids at work.    He could not understand why people risked their lives to get to the West.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
US sent troops were sent to Russia during Russian Civil War.  Which was after WWI. Can I still play?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shhhhh, you're ruining the Boomer rant.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:31:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://www.overthinkingit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/sgt-zim.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

kit.

The discipline and morale problems would be absurd, and WTF would you have millions of them doing? Over 4,000,000 people were born in the U.S. In 2008 for example, they'd all enter the military at about the same time, you'd have to train them and sort out the worthless ones which would be a HUGE undertaking. The quality of training would suffer as so many resources are diverted just dealing with all of them.

Your idea is super moto but it's not practical.

BTW all of the guys in Starship Troopers were volunteers.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#26]
There are 30,000+ of them here. Not surprised in the least that was the first question. OMG, is this current generation stupid and self centered.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The discipline and morale problems would be absurd, and WTF would you have millions of them doing? Over 4,000,000 people were born in the U.S. In 2008 for example, they'd all enter the military at about the same time, you'd have to train them and sort out the worthless ones which would be a HUGE undertaking. The quality of training would suffer as so many resources are diverted just dealing with all of them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

kit.

We are talking two years, actually 1.5 years or less after training etc.

And out of them there will still be med deferments etc, this would cause maybe 40-50% of them to serve.

More people serving helps the nation regardless if anyone wants to admit it or not.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

And out of them there will still be med deferments etc, this would cause maybe 40-50% of them to serve.

More people serving helps the nation regardless if anyone wants to admit it or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

kit.

Ok dude, whatever you say.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You don't have to tell us exactly where but knowing who the audience was would go a long way.

To be honest, I'm a mid-30's guy who just wrapped up his undergrad degree this month and had your wife came in for one of my classes, it would have been "get shit done for my other classes" time.
I'm not a retard nor someone who would open his yap to spew retarded shit but depending on why she was there, she might not get my full attention.
Especially if it's supposed to be an informative talk that morphs into 20 questions. Not only could I name dates but also major battles, important figures, and the political impetus that created those conflicts. I just don't see the point if it was a law & policy class or an Econ class.

But, I'm also not a "millennial" (even if I technically fall within the current definition of what years constitute the generation) and I guess I shouldn't have said shit. 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
Patriotism is seen as racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, islamaphobic, etc.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Patriotism is seen as racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, islamaphobic, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well maybe some but patriotism was disapearing before all of that SJW crap IMO. 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thread title should be "American schools suck".

They've been taught (or not taught) all of that in school.

Oh and by their Leftist parents.
Take heart though, being right wing is the new counter culture and kids love counter culture, so there's hope yet.
View Quote
[/color]

There is truth here. My son in college can attest to this. Many are leaning towards the Alt Right and Nationalism.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:57:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wife recently gave a presentation on veteran's law (primarily VA disability compensation and VA health care) to a bunch of 18-22yo college students.  30 minutes of presentation, 30 minutes of time for questions.

--none of them knew that Selective Service registration for males to be conscripted still existed.  THAT got the students' attention.

BUT! when she opened the floor for questions, the very first question was, "Why should we take care of veterans who served a racist government who is equivalent to ISIS in its policies overseas?"  I SHIT YOU NOT, THE VERY FIRST QUESTION COMPARED VETERANS TO TERRORISTS AND THE US GOVERNMENT TO ISIS.  And this is NOT a remarkably liberal college.

The next several decades in which the Millenials (and earliest Gen Zs) rise to power will be a VERY ugly time in US history.  BTW, the Millennial cohort (roughly 19-36yo) is even bigger than the Baby Boomers...
View Quote

Meh, I went to a Big Ten school that is considered fairly liberal (Go Bucky!). The conservative/liberal bend among students I knew was very close to 50/50 and I was in school during the 2008 election. If anything, my generation is skewing more libertarian - keep the government out of my wallet and out of my bedroom.

Only time will tell for sure, but there are more of us out there than you think.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:58:21 PM EDT
[#34]
My wife was teaching a class once and a kid asked her if she liked anal....it's a crapshoot in schools nowadays.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My wife was teaching a class once and a kid asked her if she liked anal....it's a crapshoot in schools nowadays.
View Quote
What was her answer ?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not a Boomer.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Sweet, another generational hate thread. Usually Capnrob97 starts them but I see the OP has a gorilla avatar so that will suffice.

No offense OP, but every generation has its shitheads. Your anecdote is nothing new. 20 years ago people were probably bitching about how screwed the world was because of your generation.

In most of the classes I took in college, the opinonated liberal fuckweeds were the only ones that ever opened their mouth and asked questions or gave answers. Everyone else wanted to gtfo of class.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Not a Boomer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not a Boomer.
Boomer in spirit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#39]
More Gramscian damage.

We've suffered 100+ years of it through public education.  This was the plan.  It paid off beyond the wildest imaginings of its purveyors.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Most millenials like most of America is too fat for an armed evolution.  He who can jog a mile will be the new 1%.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Fuck the schools.  They learn the important things at home.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Cool in a movie, stupid in real life. Forced labor is slavery. It would probably radicalize more shitheads than the current system does.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm part of that group. Honest to God, the only reason I could answer those questions is through my own reading.
History is all neanderthals, pyramids, roaring 20s, the industrialization of America, and Native American hx. At least where I went to grade school.
Yes, very hard to swallow
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Lolwut? You have any evidence to back that up?

If you're going to point to FDR's retarded policies that helped prolong the great depression by a decade and a half, you're 100% wrong.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm seeing kids that are getting a mite sick of all that crap, and I work with the little fuckers.

I wouldn't give up hope on the youth quite yet.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:29:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The baby boomers gave us abortion. Their grandkids and great grandkids might just give us euthanasia.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:32:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Youre in FL...
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
There a lot of Boomer names on The Wall, including many of my brother Marines.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is why threads like this are retarded.

Every generation has heroes.

Every generation has its worthless bottom feeders.

There is nothing new under the sun.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
There wee also some banana republic wars in the 1920's.  IIR, the USMC first used CAS in Nicaragua in 1927.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top