Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, I'd cut through Canada to avoid Chicago, Gary, Cleavland & any other POS city up through there.

I've ridden a Harley around both Lake Michigan & Superior. Specially the N shore of Superior, but it's a WAY better, way more relaxing & WAY, WAY more scenic route!

No Fing way I'd go from Buffalo to Chicago on the I-road.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#2]
You can see my house.  We have horses, room to shoot, and there is a cool treehouse rental place near us where you can bunk by the river and the kids will love it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

its a one way trip
View Quote
Nice.

In that case, the Little Bighorn battlefield is near your route in Montana. Also might be fun for them to swing by Yellowstone and look at the Geysers. 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:22:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The thong w the kids ain't that big of deal. My kids are 3 years apart we made trip w them, including annual drives to FL, 30 years ago.

Do NOT over hydrate them. You'll just be stopping more. Dramamine is your friend. So is night travel, while they're sleeping. Kids adapt quickly. Mine traveled fine as late as late as the first part of this month. Took them, a daughter in law & three little guys, two being 20mo twins on the same pilgrimage to the same part of FL. I've found two hours of air travel is far superior to 20 hrs in an automobile though, not just for them, either...
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I honestly think I'd shoot myself in the head before I took that trip - especially with two little kids.
View Quote
I seen the 87hrs drive time and immediately said "oh fuck no".
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I was gonna say stop by Fury's but looks like you're not gonna be near him. 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:42:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd skip this.

It's a touristy trap water park.  Their a dime a dozen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd do Toronto - Blue Water Bridge - Lake Huron shoreline - Mackinaw Island - Lake Michigan Shoreline of the U.P. - Wisconsin Dells - Badlands/Black Hills/Needles Hwy and Devils Tower - Beartooth pass - Yellowstone - Grand Tetons - Craters of the Moon and then up to Bellingham WA to catch a ferry to see the Inside Passage.
I'd skip this.

It's a touristy trap water park.  Their a dime a dozen.
I would think he is talk8ng about the dunes.

OP I would fly and save this trip for when the kids will get something out of it and actually remember it.

Even the best behaved kid that age is not going to tolerate a trip like that very well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:47:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like you're driving right down the edge of IA-drive about 90 minutes into the state and see the Decorah eagle nest. I think it's still the most viewed live stream on the net, if it's slipped down the list it's not by much. You'll be close enough it would be a reasonable side trip, I live within an hour and would be willing to drive up and meet up too. Could bring my camera and telephoto with a backup memory card and let you take some pics.

Bring some quarters to buy food and feed the trout(the kids will love it). The nest is within 2-300 yards of the hatchery.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:57:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Visit State Street in Madison, WI and try some cheese!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:57:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Instead of going through Nodak drop down a little and run I90 through Sodak see Custer SP , Rushmore and Sturgis head on over to WY see Devils Tower.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looks like you're driving right down the edge of IA-drive about 90 minutes into the state and see the Decorah eagle nest. I think it's still the most viewed live stream on the net, if it's slipped down the list it's not by much. You'll be close enough it would be a reasonable side trip, I live within an hour and would be willing to drive up and meet up too. Could bring my camera and telephoto with a backup memory card and let you take some pics.

Bring some quarters to buy food and feed the trout(the kids will love it). The nest is within 2-300 yards of the hatchery.
View Quote
That looks like fun esp as the kids love animals, will add it to the to do list.  

As for the cheese in WI I'm not a big cheese fan and the wife is allergic to dairy so will probably skip that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:28:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Mt Rushmore is in the Black Hills in S. Dakota, if you can take a detour from that route.

Other than that, I believe FedEx can ship live cargo.........
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:31:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Mt Rushmore is in the Black Hills in S. Dakota, if you can take a detour from that route.

Other than that, I believe FedEx can ship live cargo.........
View Quote
Yeah I'll have to see how the trip is going and how far of a detour that is.  

I tried to push the wife a bit to fly with the kids and I make the drive by myself but that didn't go over well.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Order a Milepost mag for the trip. It will have every rest stop, motel, and area of interest for the trip thru Canada and Alaska. Laird Hot Springs and Muncho Lake area in the Yukon will offer a lot of animal viewing. DVDs for the kids.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#15]
CMP North Store is on your route. Dunno what they have in stock these days but it might be worth stopping by and checking it out. Maybe you could buy a Garand and mail it to yourself?

I'd definitely stop at the Little Bighorn. Read up on the battle and refresh yourself before going: it's a place you have to see with your own eyes to really grasp how badly Custer fucked up.

Coeur d'Alene is beautiful country.

Seattle and the surrounding area is great. Lots to see and do. Check out Mount St. Helens, pop down to Tacoma and go to Tactical Tailor.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
CMP North Store is on your route. Dunno what they have in stock these days but it might be worth stopping by and checking it out. Maybe you could buy a Garand and mail it to yourself?

I'd definitely stop at the Little Bighorn. Read up on the battle and refresh yourself before going: it's a place you have to see with your own eyes to really grasp how badly Custer fucked up.

Coeur d'Alene is beautiful country.

Seattle and the surrounding area is great. Lots to see and do. Check out Mount St. Helens, pop down to Tacoma and go to Tactical Tailor.
View Quote
Won't have an address in AK to ship it to yet so probably a pass on CMP.  

Little bighorn will probably be a go since its basically on the way to yellowstone.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That looks like fun esp as the kids love animals, will add it to the to do list.  

As for the cheese in WI I'm not a big cheese fan and the wife is allergic to dairy so will probably skip that.
View Quote
Your timeline should put you at the nest shortly before or very shortly after the young learn to fly(based on past years) so there should be plenty of activity. Also in Decorah is Ice Cave(small, but it's a real cave and free to visit) and Dunning Springs(fairly sizable waterfall, also free and the walkway gets you right near the waterfall).
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top