Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/25/2017 5:08:34 PM EDT
Went to my local shop today to buy ammo. Got to looking at the shotguns and thought what the hell,  why not? The credit card is paid off and i just got hired on at new job. I looked at the Maverick 88 and while cheap i just didn't like the feel of it. Next i decided to tryout the Remington 870 HD 18in they had for $350.  

Well you can guess what happened after that :

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a fine start.

Hard to go wrong with an 870.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice, have fun with it!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I got the same one a couple years ago. Not sure if remington still has the $50 mail in rebate.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Should've gone with a semi auto.

Why? Because you'll probably end up with one anyway.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#5]
You should've found a used police/wing master online. They're much better than modern made 870's and you can find them for similar price.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a bunch of cheap dove shot/target loads and practice rapid fire at Costco soda and fruit and stuff at 15-30 yards

You can run pump guns pretty fast.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
You'll probably end up with both anyway, so nothing wrong with getting the pump first IMO.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Good choice OP.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Not bad, other than price.  I just feel like you can pick up nice used pumps for next to nothing.  Got the GF's dad a Mossburg 835 ulti-mag 26" ported WF barrel (so no slugs) for $179 last Christmas, broken in already just the way a pump should feel.

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Shotguns are fun . I like police 870s
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I like Police 11-87s.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Very nice shotgun, just don't ever start a thread about using it for SD, every armchair commando will be telling you that's it's the worse choice, and the obligatory comments about being invaded by big bird.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I knew the 870 had a stellar reputation but i was afraid I paid too much for it since this was just a impulse buy. Normally i spend hours upon hours browsing the EE,GB and local pages before deciding. I also normally get dissuaded after finding a higher end model that i can't afford . So far the pump is smooth as butter. The main reasons I got were for snakes and home defense..
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I hope yours runs just fine.

I bought one just like that a few years ago, and bought some cheap Winchesters from WM.

Jammed first shot. Would not extract.

Jam-o-matic.

Took it to a gunstore, and got $200 towards a Mossberg 590.

The advice on the 870 was to take steel wool, and polish the chamber, then it would extract cheap ammo. I did that, and shot some buck-a-round slugs and buckshot, and it wouldn't jam on *every* round, just once every two or three shots. Mine was a jam-o-matic.

I hope yours runs just fine. I wish I trusted Remingtons after my experience. But I do not.

The Police, and Wingmasters are chamber-polished, and have better components from the factory. But I don't trust Remingtons after my experience.

Good luck. I hope you don't think I am trying to rain on your parade.

Good luck with your new gun...
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Congrats, OP, you did great. I'm convinced some of the putzes on this forum running their mouths about shotguns have never owned one. Go buy a couple of cases of the very cheapest shells you can find, head for the dump and have a blast.

Learning the muscle memory involved in running a pump is important. Pumps are meant to be cycled forcibly. No mincing around... you won't hurt the gun, rack it like it owes you money every single time you pull the trigger. Chamber issues may show up quickly with cheap ammo, also, but you're ahead of the game with the HD.  

This guy is a Marine and a certified 870 armorer. Read his break-in advice carefully.

870 Break In
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:04:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:12:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had a slew of 870s and they have all been reliable and smooth. That they are so boringly reliable has been why I'd sell and then pick up another. Between 250 and 450 you did fine.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I hope yours runs just fine.

I bought one just like that a few years ago, and bought some cheap Winchesters from WM.

Jammed first shot. Would not extract.

Jam-o-matic.

Took it to a gunstore, and got $200 towards a Mossberg 590.

The advice on the 870 was to take steel wool, and polish the chamber, then it would extract cheap ammo. I did that, and shot some buck-a-round slugs and buckshot, and it wouldn't jam on *every* round, just once every two or three shots. Mine was a jam-o-matic.

I hope yours runs just fine. I wish I trusted Remingtons after my experience. But I do not.

The Police, and Wingmasters are chamber-polished, and have better components from the factory. But I don't trust Remingtons after my experience.

Good luck. I hope you don't think I am trying to rain on your parade.

Good luck with your new gun...
View Quote
You based your whole experience off of running the shittest, cheap ammo with low brass you could find?

Cool story bro.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Now you're hooked.  I've got 3 870s, an 11-87, a POS Mossberg 930, and two M2s.  And have had 2 Citoris in my day.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks a lot like the one I just bought. I haven't fired it yet. Hope it works good.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:45:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Congrats, OP, you did great. I'm convinced some of the putzes on this forum running their mouths about shotguns have never owned one. Go buy a couple of cases of the very cheapest shells you can find, head for the dump and have a blast.

Learning the muscle memory involved in running a pump is important. Pumps are meant to be cycled forcibly. No mincing around... you won't hurt the gun, rack it like it owes you money every single time you pull the trigger. Chamber issues may show up quickly with cheap ammo, also, but you're ahead of the game with the HD.  

This guy is a Marine and a certified 870 armorer. Read his break-in advice carefully.

870 Break In
View Quote
Thanks for the link. After I pay it off i'm going to start looking into upgrades. So what does everyone recommend on that front? I know i want a M4 style stock adapter with a magpul moe on it. But which brand of adapter to go get is the question? Also what are some other must haves?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Went to my local shop today to buy ammo. Got to looking at the shotguns and thought what the hell,  why not? The credit card is paid off and i just got hired on at new job. I looked at the Maverick 88 and while cheap i just didn't like the feel of it. Next i decided to tryout the Remington 870 HD 18in they had for $350.  

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s620/Tex8492/20170325_154916_zpsi4ro4h8b.jpg
View Quote

Oh dear God, son...you need help.  There are only two rules when it comes to buying a shotgun:

1)  NEVER, EVER FUCKING BUY AN AMERICAN SHOTGUN.  Like ever.
2)  Stick with the B's.... Beretta and Benelli.  Whether tactical or hunting; you're going to be in the best of worlds.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:53:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Not what I'd have picked but perfectly ok.  $350 seems like a good price for a new 870!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Get a bunch of cheap dove shot/target loads and practice rapid fire at Costco soda and fruit and stuff at 15-30 yards

View Quote
Costco management is not going to like that 1 dam bit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Looks a lot like the one I just bought. I haven't fired it yet. Hope it works good.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/77917/tumblr-nhfd3q2IgL1rb0jvjo1-500-173817.JPG
View Quote
BAHAHAHAHAHA ok, spill, where'd you get the feet???
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You based your whole experience off of running the shittest, cheap ammo with low brass you could find?

Cool story bro.
View Quote
Mine FTE the cheap stuff.

It *also* FTE a variety of top-shelf slugs and buckshot.

My 870 I purchased in 1997 shoots the cheapest, crappiest ammo without issues. My 590 I got when I sold my jam-o-matic 870 shoots the cheapest crap ammo just fine.

I would not, after my experience, recommend one to a friend. I would recommend a 870 Police, a 870 Wingmaster, or a Mossberg 590 if someone wanted a pump shotgun.

Congrats to the OP. Congrats on the new gun. Hope the OPs gun runs without an issue.

Mine jammed on crap ammo my other 870 fed just fine. It also jammed on top-shelf buckshot and slugs.

But... The OP got a new gun. Congrats. Any gun day is better than any other day.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Oh dear God, son...you need help.  There are only two rules when it comes to buying a shotgun:

2)  Stick with the B's.... Beretta and Benelli.  Whether tactical or hunting; you're going to be in the best of worlds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s620/Tex8492/20170325_154916_zpsi4ro4h8b.jpg

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Thanks for the link. After I pay it off i'm going to start looking into upgrades. So what does everyone recommend on that front? I know i want a M4 style stock adapter with a magpul moe on it. But which brand of adapter to go get is the question? Also what are some other must haves?
View Quote
You might want to shoot one first. I much prefer the Magpul SGA over an M4 type stock.

If you want a light, Surefire forends are expensive, but IMO they're by far the best option for using a light on a pump. On a semi auto where the forend doesn't move I don't mind a light clamped on the magazine tube, but I am not crazy about that setup on a pump.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Browning
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/77917/tumblr-nhfd3q2IgL1rb0jvjo1-500-173817.JPG
That picture has been around a while. I get pretty good use out of it with all the shotgun threads in GD.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

You spent the next hour with a rag wiping rust off of it?

Seriously, Remington's standard line (non law enforcement) firearms have the worst finish I have ever seen on a firearm. They might as well just turn em out of the factory in the white, so that the customer can save $5 and get the gun properly finished elsewhere.

The owner of AIP will tell you the same thing BTW. He can probably convert your shotgun to something of a police model that will actually last. It will cost you as much as you already paid but it would be worth it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Scrub the fuck out of the barrel. My NIB 870 turned a bore snake black right out of the box. Took me about 45 minutes to get the chamber and bore shiny.

I have heard good cleaning first prevents a lot of the FTE issues.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:22:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That picture has been around a while. I get pretty good use out of it with all the shotgun threads in GD.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whoever that is needs to go see a podiatrist that has a grinder. And no please do not call EMS to transport you either
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Scrub the fuck out of the barrel. My NIB 870 turned a bore snake black right out of the box. Took me about 45 minutes to get the chamber and bore shiny.

I have heard good cleaning first prevents a lot of the FTE issues.
View Quote
Yeah i noticed the same with mine. I admit i kinda panicked thinking i was sold a used 870 .
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You should've found a used police/wing master online. They're much better than modern made 870's and you can find them for similar price.
View Quote
I bought this 870 police mag for $320 and love it so farAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, we ran these drills when I was on the Teams.

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Should have been a Browning  A5
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nahhh. The next one should be an O/U.

Get into shooting clays.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
I picked up a mid 1970's factory parkerized Wingmaster Police trade-in about 7 or 8 years ago for $160 at my LGS.  It had some rack wear so I blasted it, reparked it, and added a mag extension.  I fucking love that gun.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Nahhh. The next one should be an O/U.

Get into shooting clays.
View Quote
Meh.

Every time I get a O/U, I love it at first, but after a couple of years, I'm looking to sell it and switch back to shooting the Monty. I used to think that if I had unlimited funds to spend on a shotgun, I'd get a Blaser O/U. After always going back to the Benelli all these years, I think I'd get a Supersport instead.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
MOTHER OF GOD, YOUR FUCKING TOENAILS!!!!     WHAT THE MERRY FUCK OVER?  
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You might want to shoot one first. I much prefer the Magpul SGA over an M4 type stock.

If you want a light, Surefire forends are expensive, but IMO they're by far the best option for using a light on a pump. On a semi auto where the forend doesn't move I don't mind a light clamped on the magazine tube, but I am not crazy about that setup on a pump.
View Quote
We will have to see. I kind like the default stock that's on it now. I think i saw a surefire forend at the store but it was damn near the price of the 870 .
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#45]
I prefer the 590-a1, but if you're happy I'm happy.

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:40:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Should have done a Mossberg 590a1, but oh well, you'll be fine enough.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:02:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just had some dental work done and haven't been able to gnaw them down lately.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#48]
I bought a Maverick 88 13 years ago.  Still going strong.  I've been happy with it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:56:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

We will have to see. I kind like the default stock that's on it now. I think i saw a surefire forend at the store but it was damn near the price of the 870 .
View Quote
The older Surefires weaponlights with non LED 65 lumen are as low as $125 on Ebay. Or you could just find a $300 police trade with one. A new 870P Max complete with the newest Surefire and a few other upgrades is about $900.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I bought a Maverick 88 13 years ago.  Still going strong.  I've been happy with it.
View Quote
Yeah, aside from the shitty safety (which works fine, just a nitpick) it's been a solid pump gun for me.

Half tempted to get a stamp and cut it down like this.

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top