Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/25/2017 4:17:18 PM EDT
My employer recently discovered that he can save around $1000 per year on his commercial vehicle insurance if the employees complete a defensive driving course.
The boss is considering making it mandatory for us.  He expects us to pay out of pocket for the course.  It's $25 for the online course and six hours long.

At minimum, I think the company should pay for the course. It would be nice for the employees to be paid for their time. That is six more hours added to my 60 work week that I won't get paid for and takes away from my family/personal time.

The boss says this benefits everyone because we can then get a discount on our personal insurance.  I state that this is  analogous to Obamacare, forcing people to pay for something they don't necessarily need or want.

What are your thoughts on this?

Poll inbound
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Some places do it at restaurants and you get a free meal out of it.

The comedy class ones suck.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:23:02 PM EDT
[#2]
it's common, we get take home company cars and everyone takes the course, on the road and online classroom training.

you'll be amazed how fucking stupid millennials are at driving, you need to look further than 10 feet in front of you when driving, it's not Russia.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Mandatory training should be paid for by the employer and the employees attending the mandatory training should be paid for their time.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Company pays for the course and pays me for my time.  I'll be happy to do it during my regular work hours, or over a weekend as overtime, whichever is more convenient for my employer.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mandatory training should be paid for by the employer and the employees attending the mandatory training should be paid for their time.
View Quote
Exactly. My work tried to make up all sorts of "mandatory" things until the entire staff refused do to it without getting paid. I don't do anything if I'm not getting paid. 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Some places do it at restaurants and you get a free meal out of it.

The comedy class ones suck.
View Quote
Do you like turtles?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#7]
His math is fucked up.  You guys lose by having to work on a day off,free. And pay the bill for the course.  And he gets more $ in his pocket.    

He needs to suck in up and pay.  I would not be going to that shit show without being paid.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't have a problem with employer requiring it if you drive company vehicles, but they need to pay for the course, and your time taking it...

If they were smart, they would sub it out, and have it taught onsite all at once...
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
His math is fucked up.  You guys lose by having to work on a day off,free. And pay the bill for the course.  And he gets more $ in his pocket.    

He needs to suck in up and pay.  I would not be going to that shit show without being paid.
View Quote
Do you save more than $25 on your personal insurance? Then take the online course while at work, win win for everyone.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My employer recently discovered that he can save around $1000 per year on his commercial vehicle insurance if the employees complete a defensive driving course.
The boss is considering making it mandatory for us.  He expects us to pay out of pocket for the course.  It's $25 for the online course and six hours long.

At minimum, I think the company should pay for the course. It would be nice for the employees to be paid for their time. That is six more hours added to my 60 work week that I won't get paid for and takes away from my family/personal time.

The boss says this benefits everyone because we can then get a discount on our personal insurance.  I state that this is  analogous to Obamacare, forcing people to pay for something they don't necessarily need or want.

What are your thoughts on this?

Poll inbound
View Quote

Employer is a cheapskate.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do you save more than $25 on your personal insurance? Then take the online course while at work, win win for everyone.
View Quote
No can do. No Internet access, no computer.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Employer is setting himself up for a DoL lawsuit for that unpaid work time...
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Employer should pay for the course AND as paid time. Employer could make the argument that employees pay for the course since the employees will save money on their insurance BUT employer should pay you for your time.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't work for free and paying for the course so somebody else can save money, you've got to be kidding me!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Any training required by your employer once you start working for them should be paid for by them and should count as part of your work week.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:51:30 PM EDT
[#16]
My old company mandated it, but also paid for the course and our time.

I wouldn't pay for it, I prefer a mix of offensive and defensive driving style with a pinch of jerk thrown in for good measure
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Our clinic requires CPR/BLS training for all employees. It takes a few hours and we have a contractor do it on site. 

Clinic pays for the course. The employees are clocked in and get paid.

This is the only way.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I wouldn't get too attached to a business that is willing to piss all of his employees off over $1k a year.....
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Why is it even in question?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#21]
He should pay for it at a minimum. 6 hours is a bit extreme for free time to him also.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#22]
If employer is requiring it they should pay for it and for your time.  Other than that, its no big deal.   We have company vehicles at work and we are required to take online driving safety courses yearly.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:16:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I wish my company would make me take defensive driving.

Training with VDI is one of the things on my bucket list.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Wow I'm surprised I made it in before all the corporate cock gobbling company men and their "his business his rules if you don't like it quit and start your own company" shout downs.

Your boss is a shit head and a cheapskate. If he mandates it he needs to pay for it and pay for the time it takes to complete it. Fuck him expecting people to pay so he can save money and put in the time for free to boot so he can save even more money. He must be a very well liked boss.

Is this his company or is he just a manager that found a way to save money and will in turn get a bigger bonus and look good for his boss(es)?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#25]
We take defensive driving every year along with various other required training. I don't work for free and I'm not paying for the training either. It would be hard to take an employer seriously if they expected me to do otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#26]
If it's a condition for employment, it depends on how much you like your job. $25 is cheap, and you can deduct it from your taxes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#27]
We have to take the course every two years. Don't have to pay for it and get paid while taking it. Tell your boss to either pass the savings on to his employees or pay for the class/time.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll take whatever course you want me to take, I'll take sensitivity training on how to appropriately deal with transgender walruses that have varying degrees of autism.... BUT... as long as I don't have to pay for it, and as long as I'm being paid to take it.

Online 40 hour OSHA at my last job was fucking awesome, sit at home on my ass and get paid to watch videos about stuff I never dealt with.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
sensitivity training on how to appropriately deal with transgender walruses that have varying degrees of autism....
View Quote
Stealing this line.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:35:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm required to maintai several licenses and certifications as a condition of my employment.  Company pays all the license fees, continuing ed fees, and my time.

So should yours.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:38:21 PM EDT
[#32]
If you drive his cars, take the class, take it off your taxes.  

Otherwise, decide to work some place else.  It is really that simple.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm required to maintai several licenses and certifications as a condition of my employment.  Company pays all the license fees, continuing ed fees, and my time.

So should yours.
View Quote
It's nice when they do.  If the market doesn't have those people readily available to fill your spot, it would be smart if they did.

But they do not OWE you this.  It is a perk. People get PERKS confused REQUIREMENTS.  It's very similar to an FSA thing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd be all for it, so long as the company paid for the class and the time.

Under any other set of conditions, no deal.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Didn't read
Employer should pay, you'll also probably save on your personal insurance
ETA: obviously taken during paid company time
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Perhaps the OP could mention that to his Employer
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#37]
So the Boss thinks that his employees should reach into their own pocket while on their own time to do something so he can save money.
Tell the Boss to GFO!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#38]
In my line of work if they demand we take a course that benefits them, they pay for it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:46:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I went through a 4 year apprenticeship and went to class after work several days a week. My employer paid for the training but not my time. I knew this was the case prior to accepting the job.

I have taken countless hours of training that became mandatory after I started, they have paid for all costs and time.

If I applied for a job and they said "you must provide proof of competition prior to being eligible" Il eat the cost and the time.

Tell me you are making it mandatory for me to pay and complete a training so that you can save money...lol...

is it $1000 per year or $1000 per year per employee?

If a boss made a big deal about it, I would call his bluff.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It's nice when they do.  If the market doesn't have those people readily available to fill your spot, it would be smart if they did.

But they do not OWE you this.  It is a perk. People get PERKS confused REQUIREMENTS.  It's very similar to an FSA thing.
View Quote
Did you bother to read the op?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:52:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea I did, do you have a point?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:58:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
The employer is the one acting like an entitled FSA leach.

Requiring employees to work for free and pay for the class is exactly that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Work for free?  Where?

If the market bears that the employee can easily be replaced with a defensive driving cert employee, that is life.  If it does not, employer is dumb as a box of rocks.  Capitalism.  

To assume employer OWES you that is, I think is over assuming.  If you want to go dicker with employer about it cool.  Never hurts to try.  My point was about so many people assuming employer automatically owes, just depends on the market.  Employer may be really stupid in this case.

I don't know which it is, neither do you.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Work for free?  Where?

If the market bears that the employee can easily be replaced with a defensive driving cert employee, that is life.  If it does not, employer is dumb as a box of rocks.  Capitalism.  

To assume employer OWES you that is, I think is over assuming.  If you want to go dicker with employer about it cool.  Never hurts to try.  My point was about so many people assuming employer automatically owes, just depends on the market.  Employer may be really stupid in this case.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Work for free?  Where?

The law seems to indicate otherwise.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs53.htm

Training and Seminars

Attendance at lectures, meetings, training programs and similar activities are viewed as working time unless all of the following criteria are met:

Attendance is outside of the employee’s regular working hours;
       Attendance is in fact voluntary;
       The course, lecture, or meeting is not directly related to the employee’s job; and
       The employee does not perform any productive work during such attendance.

See Regulations 29 CFR 785.27.

Example #5:

A residential care facility offers specialized training on caring for Alzheimer residents. There are two workshops: one in the evening for the day shift and one during the day for the evening shift. All employees are required to attend. Is this compensable time? Yes, because the training is not voluntary and is related to the employees’ jobs.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#47]
call the state labor board?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Lol, the difference is I do know. Someone beat me to it read the other guy's post that quoted you.

You also brought up capitalism. Do you understand that as an employee I sell my time, experience and skill to my employer?

@lug1
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#49]
He can make it a pre-employment condition for new hires.  But for current employees he should fork out the costs for the class.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:15:42 PM EDT
[#50]
I thought that most state's wage and hour commissions require employers to pay for time and tuition for required training.   This is different from mandatory state requirements for licenses such as medical, EMT, police, etc.  ongoing educational requirements for various jobs such as teachers is usually paid for by teacher....but that is different.

The employer could reasonably make defensive driving course completion a requirement for any NEW hires, but employer should pay for existing employees time and tuition.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top