Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/25/2017 5:31:05 AM EDT
It's the worst and most complicated tax code/system ever devised. There are so many reasons why, I can't list them all. But here are a couple:

The instructions for filling out a 1040 are over 150 pages long. I tried to file my own tax return one time and I was unable to do it. It creates a headache and is extremely time consuming at worst, for some Americans trying to file their taxes (K-1 forms are a nightmare also) and at best, it's a pointless inconvenience that costs everyone $100-200 a year to file.

Over-complicated returns mean most Americans can't figure it out on their own or don't have time, so an entire tax preparation industry came about just to deal with it. I'm too busy working to figure out that overcomplicated nonsense.

America is one of only two countries in the world that makes its expats still file and pay taxes in America even while living and working overseas (the other country is an impoverished African country that does not have the means to enforce that rule). American expats who refuse to comply risk being flagged and arrested the minute they land back on American soil. I almost got hired by a Japanese company once so this affects me too.

Look up tax returns for American expat international pilots. It's insane the hoops they have to jump through, logging each flight hour in each country's airspace they pass over, then filing it.

Americans living abroad permanently started renouncing their citizenship to escape the American tax nightmare. America's response: they raised the fee for renouncing citizenship (yes even that costs money) from $450 to $2500.

Americans living abroad now have a harder time getting foreign bank accounts. Why? The IRS is actually making foreign banks report the exact amount of Americans' bank accounts! They're paranoid about people trying to escape their communist draconian tax system.

I love what America used to stand for (freedom!) but not what it is becoming. There's no escaping taxes, except by death! I will never want to commit suicide (I hope that doesn't change) but sometimes all the crap our government does to us makes me want to skip/bypass this crappy world and go straight to heaven. There won't be any taxes in heaven! That's pretty much the only place the IRS can't reach!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:36:46 AM EDT
[#1]
The sad thing is it will in all likelihood never be reformed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:44:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Too many people live off that tax money, working or not.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:47:52 AM EDT
[#3]
... well written rant
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:52:23 AM EDT
[#4]
It's also not just the tax system thats broken, but its the extent to which we are all taxed....I tried adding it all up one day and gave up.

In my area alone I have a school tax, real estate tax, 1% income tax, which I didn't realize existed until after I've been here for awhile and now need to figure out how to pay.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#5]
If you think it's bad, just wait until you have a relative die and leave investments to his children, but with VERY poor documentation on those assets.

You cannot imagine how bad the IRS guidance is.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:15:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:19:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Great spot we're in for a country that was started over onerous taxation.

TC
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:25:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I have lived and worked overseas for more than 10 years.  Our taxes are fucked!!  Particularly when compared to my UK work associates.  I CANNOT SPEND MORE THAN 36 DAYS A YEAR IN THE US..

So instead of coming home and spending money here I have to take vacations in foreign countries.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:11:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have lived and worked overseas for more than 10 years.  Our taxes are fucked!!  Particularly when compared to my UK work associates.  I CANNOT SPEND MORE THAN 36 DAYS A YEAR IN THE US..

So instead of coming home and spending money here I have to take vacations in foreign countries.
View Quote
You mean the UK who tried to tax Usain Bolt a percentage on his endorsement income because he ran a track meet in the UK for which he wasn't paid?

That UK?

2nd plank of communism- "a heavy progressive ir graduated income tax."
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:23:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I do my own every year. Until the post office quit supplying them, I would get blanks there and fill them all out by hand...to make it easier for all parties involved.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:45:37 AM EDT
[#11]
The solution is simple, (though it will never be done).

People should only vote for representatives and senators who prepare their own tax returns.  They should lock themselves into a large room, and only emerge after they have prepared their tax return.

We would shortly have a consumption based tax system.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

People should only vote for representatives and senators who prepare their own tax returns.  They should lock themselves into a large room, and only emerge after they have prepared their tax return.

View Quote
You are a got-dam genius, Gump!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#14]
We will have reached a higher plane of civilization when it is generally accepted that government seizure of the fruit of a man's labor is as odious as slavery.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#15]
You think the US is the only country with a fucking maze tax system? 

Europe is worse.

Europeans who come here are amazed at our "low taxes" compared to theirs.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Renouncing your citizenship isn't a one time fine, they require you to pay a fraction of your average income over the last two or three years.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#17]
What do you mean OP!!??

We are only at about a total of 41,000 codes and regulations!!

I mean what is wrong with that!!??

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Does an Indian reservation count?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Great spot we're in for a country that was started over onerous taxation.

TC
View Quote
And for Americans that work abroad it is almost but not quite taxation without representation.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Is it bad that I'm less worried about the tax and more worried about social security. I'm 31 and loss all kinds of money to social security.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:10:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Time to throw some tea bags in the river?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I do my own every year. Until the post office quit supplying them, I would get blanks there and fill them all out by hand...to make it easier for all parties involved.
View Quote
I downloaded the forms and then printed them.  THEN I filled them out, with a blue pen.  I'm waiting for April 13 to mail them and the check in.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What do you mean OP!!??

We are only at about a total of 41,000 codes and regulations!!

I mean what is wrong with that!!??

View Quote
Comrade,  calm down, read what Comrade RDAK tells you. It is all
for the betterment of the collective.   Smile, relax, enjoy some wadka
watch mindless romcom, mildly comedic sitcoms. Learn to let go, let Fed-Coats
We will take care of you..
If not?
 You will be  reported to I. R . S. For proper mental adjustments and community
shakedown. .
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can we tie them to IRS agents and politicians first?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Having worked for the IRS for more than 30 years (I actually was on the team writing the tax forms and instructions for almost all of that time), I can tell you that your objections are overblown. The reason the forms are complicated is that the law is complicated, and that's because of the interplay of various special interests, all of which have influence with Congress. I remember clearly the Tax Reform Act of 1986, which was supposed to "simplify" the tax code. It ended up adding hundreds of carve-outs, grandfather clauses, and transitional rules. We worked a lot of overtime that year trying to make sense of the provisions and then explain them to the public.

I'm convinced that more than 90% of taxpayers could do their own returns themselves, if they just carefully studied the instructions and filled out the forms. This is especially true if they planned their transactions ahead of time to minimize the tax impact. The tax-preparation industry feeds on people's irrational fears of the process.

The IRS web site lets you download the forms and instructions (as .pdf files), store them on your computer, fill them out on screen and save your input, and print them out for filing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
We would just get lawyers with a minor in tax law. 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Buy turbotax, do your own taxes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#28]
The tax code will never be simple because HR Block and Turbo Tax and whatnot have better lobbyists than you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Having worked for the IRS for more than 30 years (I actually was on the team writing the tax forms and instructions for almost all of that time), I can tell you that your objections are overblown. The reason the forms are complicated is that the law is complicated, and that's because of the interplay of various special interests, all of which have influence with Congress. I remember clearly the Tax Reform Act of 1986, which was supposed to "simplify" the tax code. It ended up adding hundreds of carve-outs, grandfather clauses, and transitional rules. We worked a lot of overtime that year trying to make sense of the provisions and then explain them to the public.

I'm convinced that more than 90% of taxpayers could do their own returns themselves, if they just carefully studied the instructions and filled out the forms. This is especially true if they planned their transactions ahead of time to minimize the tax impact. The tax-preparation industry feeds on people's irrational fears of the process.

The IRS web site lets you download the forms and instructions (as .pdf files), store them on your computer, fill them out on screen and save your input, and print them out for filing.
View Quote
Is it me, or is it seriously fucked that our tax system is so screwed up that anyones spending plans should ever be affected by the tax impact.

Eliminate income tax. Sales tax only. Everyone pays in then, from the 1% to illegals.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:57:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
It's also not just the tax system thats broken, but its the extent to which we are all taxed....I tried adding it all up one day and gave up.

In my area alone I have a school tax, real estate tax, 1% income tax, which I didn't realize existed until after I've been here for awhile and now need to figure out how to pay.  
View Quote
Don't forget all of the excise taxes, fees, licenses, hidden charges. If the truth was known, 70% or more of your money goes to the government.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
We will have reached a higher plane of civilization when it is generally accepted that government seizure of the fruit of a man's labor is as odious as slavery.
View Quote
What we have now is nothing more than free range slavery.

They realized slaves produce better when they think they're free, and they figured out how to enslave the whole country instead of only a small percentage.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If you think it's bad, just wait until you have a relative die and leave investments to his children, but with VERY poor documentation on those assets.

You cannot imagine how bad the IRS guidance is.
View Quote
My FIL lives off a pension, is 93 years old, and pays taxes out the wahzoo! 93 years old!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:02:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Buy turbotax, do your own taxes.
View Quote
Didn't work for Tim Geithner
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#35]
I had to buy the TOP tier tax software, upgrade it on the fly, and call their 800 number and answer 4 multiple choice questions going back 30 years just to submit my vanilla tax return.  And it's not because I have no idea what I'm doing.  It forces you to do all that.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The sad thing is it will in all likelihood never be reformed.
View Quote
Point well made.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:12:38 PM EDT
[#37]
"all of human history"

I'll have to remember that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:13:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nope. Im a bachelor degree holding person which doesnt make me smart but certainly proves I can figure out basic stuff. The flaw in your theory is... how in the hell do you even know what forms to fill out. I get all this shit in the mail from w-2's, 1099, investment stuff, college stuff, my mortgage etc... I don't know what correlates to each form, I dont know what form I need when I get a income statement from my 401k, I didnt cash any money out so do I really need to fill anything out? Its way too complicated. Plus im sure in a month or two after I filed my taxes in January ill get some other random ass form from another account that I have no idea what to do with. The system is made to fuck average people.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:16:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Don't forget all of the excise taxes, fees, licenses, hidden charges. If the truth was known, 70% or more of your money goes to the government.
View Quote
I think it all goes to the government. Company A sells a product which gets taxed at sale, they get taxed on income, then pay their employees who get taxed, which they go to company B and buy something which gets taxed, they get taxed on income and pay all their employees who get taxed riht on down the line ad infinitum. Enough transactions and each original dollar becomes 100% governement owned. The only way it stays out of the government pockets is if you hold it to spend in the future, which at some point when you spend it the process repeats.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Is it bad that I'm less worried about the tax and more worried about social security. I'm 31 and loss all kinds of money to social security.
View Quote
 It is all a Federal "tax" and ends up in the same pot. Your employer is paying the same amount of SS on your behalf so that makes it even more hideous when you add those lost wages in. I remember the early 90's? working in a factory when the gov started garnishing separately for Medicaid. We all looked at our check stubs dumbfounded like WTF is this?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#41]
The income tax is immoral.

You trade a portion of your life for money and then the government declares that they have right to a significant portion of that money. It is essentially slavery because they own that portion of your life that you trade for income to live.

Try to evade it and they send men with guns to take it from you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Doesa an Indian reservation count?
View Quote
No.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The tax code will never be simple because HR Block and Turbo Tax and whatnot have better lobbyists than you.
View Quote
You've got that ass backwards, those companies were created to fill a niche that only exists because the tax codes are so convoluted.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
More like some disembodied heads.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
... well written rant
View Quote
Agreed. Confusion and complexity is how you are screwed without being able to see where. You just know your getting screwed while the frustration and confusion work as a distraction from how badly you are getting screwed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#47]
You lost me here  " I almost got hired by a Japanese company once so this affects me too. "
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#48]
i won't worry about the tax system. congress is going to reform it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:05:07 PM EDT
[#49]
What you say, vote the bumbs out who won't reform our tax system? Impossible because there is a permanent majority of voters who
will always support the present system. The population of dependents has increased and will increase faster than non dependent
population.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What you say, vote the bumbs out who won't reform our tax system? Impossible because there is a permanent majority of voters who
will always support the present system. The population of dependents has increased and will increase faster than non dependent
population.
View Quote
At this point the crash is inevitable, this has been intentionally engineered by the Leftists because they want to create a crisis that will enable them to seize control and abolish the USC. Then they will attempt to merge the various countries of the world together into a single global super-state, one with totalitarian control of the citizenry's lives.

Stay healthy, train, because there's a war coming and it's going to be brutal and winner take all. You'll have to choose between winning, submission, or death.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top