Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2017 12:27:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:28:42 AM EDT
[#1]
sucks but according to the story another car was at fault so I doubt much will come of this.  Even self-driving cars are vulnerable to idiots
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:31:59 AM EDT
[#2]
That'll buff out.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:33:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Im glad it happened!

Also glad no one got hurt.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:30:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Skynet The cloud doesn't forget.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:23:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Self driving cars don't give a fuck.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:32:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Skynet The cloud doesn't forget.
View Quote
Imagine if the programmers figure out how to insert emotions into the code.

I don't see how they couldn't. I mean for example, you could write into the code that anytime a car flips you over, you remember it's tag, then when you see that tag number again you ram the car in the rear.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:21:12 AM EDT
[#7]
LMAO that is (was) a pretty expensive XC90. 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:39:12 AM EDT
[#8]
We have soooo many "self-driving" cars in Tempe/Chandler.
In the last couple of months, I'm pretty sure I have seen at least one, if not 2-3, every time I've been on the road.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:40:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We have soooo many "self-driving" cars in Tempe/Chandler.
I can't remember the last time I went somewhere and didn't see at least one.
View Quote
how's the milf situation out there
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:41:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Van #556 was involved in a traffic incident as well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:42:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
LMAO that is (was) a pretty expensive XC90. 
View Quote
The owner is probably thrilled. I've been researching the XC90 bc we were looking to buy one and they're giant steaming turds
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:42:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fantastic. Yoga pants in the "winter" and now spandex shorts and sundresses as we start hitting +90F.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:17:13 AM EDT
[#13]
so how quickly do you drill thru the menus on your smartphone, strapped in at 90 degrees, to ask for assistance with your uber car, and how long until they respond? It's not like you can get a human on the phone.
right, like 45-50 minutes before anyone who might give a shit at Uber even knew about it. Fuck it, we don't pay for taxi medallions, we don't respond to crashes caused by our tech, let the first responders do it, our lawyers will clean it up.
Using your towns infrastructure to keep our profits up, and in court, summary judgements will be kept lower, or it will get around we pulled Uber out of your city.
I didn't like Hillary stealing an election, and I don't like Uber stealing money either.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Fantastic. Yoga pants in the "winter" and now spandex shorts and sundresses as we start hitting +90F.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to go to Tempe for home office training.

It's really Basic Bitch Mecca.

Mucho MILFs
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#15]
In before "Uber is the most ethically challenged company in the world."
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
From what my daughter told me, it's bleak.  All the MILF's are Cougars banging the 20-30 somethings.

Unless you have big bucks, we 50 somethings are getting the leftovers. Sad...

TC
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
so how quickly do you drill thru the menus on your smartphone, strapped in at 90 degrees, to ask for assistance with your uber car, and how long until they respond? It's not like you can get a human on the phone.
right, like 45-50 minutes before anyone who might give a shit at Uber even knew about it. Fuck it, we don't pay for taxi medallions, we don't respond to crashes caused by our tech, let the first responders do it, our lawyers will clean it up.
Using your towns infrastructure to keep our profits up, and in court, summary judgements will be kept lower, or it will get around we pulled Uber out of your city.
I didn't like Hillary stealing an election, and I don't like Uber stealing money either.
View Quote
The self driving car was not at fault but keep babbling away
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth!

One of my clients was wearing her lululemons running shorts yesterday. Oh yeah!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:57:59 PM EDT
[#19]
It must have been taught to drive by a Zonie.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It must have been taught to drive by a Zonie.
View Quote
I nearly killed a guy on a motorcycle because he failed to yield on a left turn.

Which is what happened here. The Uber car is not at fault.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#21]
A driverless car will be way more competent than many human drivers I see.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
The overwhelming majority of accidents they've been involved in, the autonomous cars have not been at fault.

HOWEVER

They get into accidents from following the law and expecting other traffic to do the same.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@VA-BlkRifle  What's really bugging you? That's a fair sized rant over a traffic collision, why would Uber help when you need Fire/LE/EMS?

When was the last time Lee Iocca responded to a K-car pile up? Using the infrastructure, I assume you mean the roads, traffic signals/signs ect? You do realize this is after extensive closed track testing, Right? What's not "OK" about that?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

sucks but according to the story another car was at fault so I doubt much will come of this.  Even self-driving cars are vulnerable to idiots
View Quote
How deep are the other car's pockets?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#25]
All self-driving cars should be painted either fluorescent screaming prisoner jump suit orange, or fluorescent screaming puke green, so that people can get the fuck out of the way.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
All self-driving cars should be painted either fluorescent screaming prisoner jump suit orange, or fluorescent screaming puke green, so that people can get the fuck out of the way.
View Quote
Except that the self-driving car wasn't at fault?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:02:59 PM EDT
[#27]
The thing that's going to be the most annoying attribute of this transition, is going to be the reporting of EVERY accident across the country involving self-driving cars.  

We'll ignore that fact that 2,440,000 people were injured, and 32,777 were killed in accidents caused by human drivers in 2016.  Few of those will make the national news.  

But we're going to hear about all three accidents involving, (not even caused by....just involving) self-driving cars.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:05:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Self-driving cars are better than human drivers.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:13:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Self-driving cars are better than human drivers.
View Quote
They are until they fuck up, or a human does something they aren't equipped to deal with.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The thing that's going to be the most annoying attribute of this transition, is going to be the reporting of EVERY accident across the country involving self-driving cars.  

We'll ignore that fact that 2,440,000 people were injured, and 32,777 were killed in accidents caused by human drivers in 2016.  Few of those will make the national news.  

But we're going to hear about all three accidents involving, (not even caused by....just involving) self-driving cars.  
View Quote
Waymo had a list up through 2016. It has since been removed from their public domain.
There was a lot more than 3 a year...

I'm torn about the whole thing. I know they will be better than the majority of people driving today but instincts and preemptive defensive driving from a competent driver is more useful than sensors and a computer trying to react to an oblivious driver.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#31]
look I tried to delete the mention in my inbox, I don't know how this works, and it said reported user. It was some kind of mistake.

yeah I went off because I seriously do not care for Uber, point whatever mod looms on your doorstep for the report to this post, or to me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not if everyone had a self driving car. Its coming too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Folks will no longer be allowed to drive "for their safety".

The states will simply stop issuing drivers licenses to "civilians".

Driving will become a felony.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's the weird thing about these kinds of threads.  Some seem to be making the argument that if a technology isn't perfect, it shouldn't be adopted.  But it doesn't have to be perfect.  Nothing is perfect.  All it has to be is slightly better than humans, and it will replace humans in a given task.  

In the case of self-driving cars, there's already a substantial improvement over human drivers, and the technology is improving.  

Human drivers injured over 2 million people in 2016, killing over 37 thousand.  

I do believe eventually we'll have certain roads where manual control is prohibited.  But that won't be for at least a couple of decades.  But the again, I think it will just be integrated to the point that even in manual mode, the bot will step in and prevent the human driver from screwing up, a more advanced version of the collision avoidance systems, adaptive cruise control, and blind spot systems already present in cars today.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Self driving car sales likely increase in Utah.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:40:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That's the weird thing about these kinds of threads.  Some seem to be making the argument that if a technology isn't perfect, it shouldn't be adopted.  But it doesn't have to be perfect.  Nothing is perfect.  All it has to be is slightly better than humans, and it will replace humans in a given task.  
View Quote
But in this case we are talking about human life and the technology has to be near perfect before we see widespread adoption and then, eventually, autonomous vehicles becoming mandatory.

What will be interesting is to watch is when the tech will be adopted and how quickly it becomes a requirement because the whole chicken and the egg dilemma. Autonomous vehicles won't be able to drop vehicular fatalities to almost zero due to human error.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:52:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

In the case of self-driving cars, there's already a substantial improvement over human drivers, and the technology is improving.  

I do believe eventually we'll have certain roads where manual control is prohibited.  But that won't be for at least a couple of decades.  But the again, I think it will just be integrated to the point that even in manual mode, the bot will step in and prevent the human driver from screwing up, a more advanced version of the collision avoidance systems, adaptive cruise control, and blind spot systems already present in cars today.
View Quote
Freedom is scary yo! Guns are dangerous too, we should get rid of those. And alcohol, and knives, and motorcycles, and swimming pools....
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:17:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Fuck Uber, Fuck AI cars, etc... keep that shit off the roads.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:57:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
"Substantial improvement over human drivers"?

How long have we had "self driving cars"?  When was the last time you were involved in a car collision?  I know that I have managed to operate vehicles without an incident for FAR longer than self driving cars have been on the road.

There is something to be said for a human's ability to react to another human's poor decision making.  Until driverless cars improve… I certainly won't be riding in one.  In fact… I will continue to oppose such ignorant sacrifices of freedom and control over individual lives.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 6:38:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

But in this case we are talking about human life and the technology has to be near perfect before we see widespread adoption and then, eventually, autonomous vehicles becoming mandatory.

What will be interesting is to watch is when the tech will be adopted and how quickly it becomes a requirement because the whole chicken and the egg dilemma. Autonomous vehicles won't be able to drop vehicular fatalities to almost zero due to human error.
View Quote
That's simply not true.  All it has to be is better than human drivers.  If on average a human driver is involved in an accident every 250,000 miles, and on average a self-driving system is involved in an accident every 251,000 mile, then the self-driving systems will replace humans.  

This is true of all technology.  

However, in the case of self-driving cars they're already substantially better than human drivers, and they're getting better all the time.   A human driver doesn't have the sensory capacity, or reaction speed of a self-driving system.   A self-driving car doesn't get distracted, or tired.

Self-driving systems are already being used in many vehicles, and they perform better than humans.  Within the next 10 years, most new vehicles will have self-driving systems as standard options, and within 20 years, autonomous autos will dominate the market.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 7:32:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The overwhelming majority of accidents they've been involved in, the autonomous cars have not been at fault.

HOWEVER

They get into accidents from following the law and expecting other traffic to do the same.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HOWEVER

I just spent almost a year assisting our auto liability dept.

The shortcoming with self-driving cars is that they religiously obey the rules when other drivers don't.  It's particularly bad on on-ramp merges.  If you're going 70 in a 55 in the right lane, the self-drivers are still like, "Fuck you, I'm comin' in at 50!"
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:40:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I just spent almost a year assisting our auto liability dept.

The shortcoming with self-driving cars is that they religiously obey the rules when other drivers don't.  It's particularly bad on on-ramp merges.  If you're going 70 in a 55 in the right lane, the self-drivers are still like, "Fuck you, I'm comin' in at 50!"
View Quote
Their collision avoidance systems don't think "fuck you, I'm comin in at 50".   But now that you bring it up, that's another reason, self-driving autos will replace manual cars.  They don't drive emotionally.

With that said, what autos are you talking about.  It really depends on the system.  Google's and Tesla's collision avoidance systems are dynamic.  They attempt to maintain a safe distance between obstacles, including emotional drivers who are exceeding the speed limit, recklessly driving, and following too close.  

These systems aren't running on rails.  By that I mean they're not just following pre programmed routes, they're reacting to other drivers, and changing traffic and road conditions.

On the same day this one accident which a self-driving auto was involved, made national news, over 5400 people were injured, and over 100 killed by HUMAN drivers in the United States ....none of which made the national news.

Isn't it amazing how the media can set the narrative, and distort reality?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Have fun with that shit trying to drive through construction zones or emergency lane closures.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Have fun with that shit trying to drive through construction zones or emergency lane closures.
View Quote
There are plenty of self driving cars that are doing just that on a daily basis.  You don't hear about it because they aren't crashing or causing crashes.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 11:56:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Concur.  I would like to see how they do in a local construction zone where I had to have the city paint lane lines due to misleading visual indicators.  They also added lights at the atypical road curvature.  Add snow or blizzard conditions for added fun.

From the article:  "Uber and Tempe Police have confirmed that Uber has now suspended the pilot program in Arizona, San Francisco and Pittsburgh for driverless cars. "
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top