Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/24/2017 10:42:16 PM EDT
I think they are by far the most beautiful breed. I've always wanted one, but I hear it's a different world trying to find a good breeder. How are they to own?

Are they as violent as the BOP? Do you need a fence?

Post pics!!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:45:09 PM EDT
[#1]
They were the dog to have in the 70's.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:46:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one in the 80's a retired police dog she was awesome and very smart
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:47:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Ill play, Just got this guy Hemi the day after Valentines day. He is a rescue. So lets just say seperation anxiety has been a bitch. But we got him a trainer and he has been getting better and better ever since.5-6 months old in photos. He loves people, maybe a little to much. 2 bloody noses. One to an adult one to a kid. He has some dominance issues (attempts to mount other male dogs) But honestly he is sweet, loyal, stubborn and I wouldn't trade him for another dog. Although there are some times i've considered it. I don't know what else to say.

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:48:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File
Great dogs.  They will be our breed of choice going forward 
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#5]
They are wonderful dogs.  Don't let the naysayers get to you OP.

I wouldn't trade mine for anything.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:51:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I want one but don't have the time. 
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Why not a natural breed? And by natural I mean great Dane? Because the answer is always great Dane.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Ours is very nice but not the brightest.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They were the dog to have in the 70's.
View Quote
This is true.  I delivered news papers in the mid 70s. Every trailer park redneck had one on a  10 foot chain.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:53:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think they are by far the most beautiful breed. I've always wanted one, but I hear it's a different world trying to find a good breeder. How are they to own?

Are they as violent as the BOP? Do you need a fence?

Post pics!!!
View Quote

I have 4 !! They are my favorite breed super smart and very protective ...
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:53:54 PM EDT
[#11]
This guy is a dobie/lab mix. Very intelligent and loyal dog. Once he accepts a visitor into his pack they are his friend forever.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ill play, Just got this guy Hemi the day after Valentines day. He is a rescue. So lets just say seperation anxiety has been a bitch. But we got him a trainer and he has been getting better and better ever since.5-6 months old in photos. He loves people, maybe a little to much. 2 bloody noses. One to an adult one to a kid. He has some dominance issues (attempts to mount other male dogs) But honestly he is sweet, loyal, stubborn and I wouldn't trade him for another dog. Although there are some times i've considered it. I don't know what else to say.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/400263/Hemi-173283.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/400263/Hemi-2-173284.jpg  
View Quote
Beautiful.

My ex got me a rescue boxer/lab. He had issues that were difficult to deal with, but damn he was a good dog. She took him with so I'm looking for a little guy to replace him.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Third picture is great.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:59:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Beautiful.

My ex got me a rescue boxer/lab. He had issues that were difficult to deal with, but damn he was a good dog. She took him with so I'm looking for a little guy to replace him.
View Quote
Thank you, the Fiance and I saw him and knew we wanted him. He's considered a Red I do believe. I have a fenced backyard and he would love to wander off undoubtedly. He doesn't mean trouble but due to stigmas he would probably find some, I mean he is only 7 months old. That baby gate you see in the first picture. Yeah he jumped right over it on night one, like i said separation issues. Hoesntly though were spending a nice chunk of change to have him trained but its awesome I feel like he is a kid because one day he is jumping on the couch. 3 weeks later he is learning to lay down while we eat dinner. Op whats your location if I may?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Over the years I have had 3.

All great critters. SMART. Knew when to "turn it on" and when to be cool.

Get a pup. Raise it like you want it to be. They like to play rough.

Hip displasia is a problem and mine all shedded like mad.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:01:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thank you, the Fiance and I saw him and knew we wanted him. He's considered a Red I do believe. I have a fenced backyard and he would love to wander off undoubtedly. He doesn't mean trouble but due to stigmas he would probably find some, I mean he is only 7 months old. That baby gate you see in the first picture. Yeah he jumped right over it on night one, like i said separation issues. Hoesntly though were spending a nice chunk of change to have him trained but its awesome I feel like he is a kid because one day he is jumping on the couch. 3 weeks later he is learning to lay down while we eat dinner. Op whats your location if I may?
View Quote
I'm up in the Midwest, where it gets really cold. I've been told the cold is an issue for them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Not then sharpest tools in the shed , but will do
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#18]
For the record I've always thought dobermans were gorgeous animals. But I've had bad luck with man-made breeds.

I've owned 3 gsd's in my life. One was steller, the others. Worthless liabilities. I'd be afraid my dobbie would end up that way.

Shameless Dane plug

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm up in the Midwest, where it gets really cold. I've been told the cold is an issue for them.
View Quote
As you can see I'm in Colorado. So yes the cold can be an issue but it was hilarious on our like 2 week we got snow. Hemi hadn't played in it i don't think. He went flying out there fell down started biting and eating it. He would carry ice chunks into the house. Loved it. But since some of his training it has allowed us to be able to kennel him when its cold out. But usually will put him in the back yard. Minimal barking chewed the trim to my sliding door but thats another issue. His fur thankfully isn't bad we try to bathe him once a week. He doesn't mind to much he gives us about 15 mins of patience then after that its a pulling battle. Somebody mentioned hips, yeah that's definitely going to be an issue when he gets older. Also yes they love rough play which isn't always helpful when trying to socialize him but we have him training on E collar currently and a stronger zap gets his attention and helps correct some of that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#20]
The old school Breed of Peace. Get full size if you are going to get one. The mini pincers are total dicks and will attack everything cause they are little dogs yet have the big dog attitude. The Mini's are worse than Chihuahua's. Will attack instead of the high pitched bard.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:11:33 PM EDT
[#21]
since this is a pic thread!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:11:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For the record I've always thought dobermans were gorgeous animals. But I've had bad luck with man-made breeds.

I've owned 3 gsd's in my life. One was steller, the others. Worthless liabilities. I'd be afraid my dobbie would end up that way.

Shameless Dane plug

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/427508/FB-IMG-1490395939177-173309.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/427508/FB-IMG-1490395991637-173311.JPG
View Quote
I have family that owned Danes recommend them highly. They've said they're apartment dogs as in they require very little space.

I get weak in the knees for dobies though.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:15:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The old school Breed of Peace. Get full size if you are going to get one. The mini pincers are total dicks and will attack everything cause they are little dogs yet have the big dog attitude. The Mini's are worse than Chihuahua's. Will attack instead of the high pitched bard.
View Quote
I was looking at min pins but their disproportionate size turned me off. You can't beat the sexy slick look of a Doberman.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:21:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I need a new dog and I'd love to have a Doberman.  Think they'd get along with an italian greyhound?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:24:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I bet you could teach them to rob a bank. They are pretty smart dogs.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Thank God for Pitt Bulls or they would still be the baby eating man killers they were in the 70s........
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:26:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I've always wanted to get a black and tan dachshund and a Dobermann and call them Fred and Ted.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:31:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Doberman is the best breed IMO.....I know there will be those who disagree, such is life. I grew up with dobies, I now have schnauzers mainly due to a radiologist friend who's male and female got frisky.

Dobies: The males are hard headed and will test you on whether you are actually the Alpha in the pack, but a trained male is one of the best companions you'll ever have.
The females are home-bodies.  Easier to train but will absolutely defend your territory with a vengeance.  
Both I would caution around small children....sometimes they (the Dobes) forget their place.  

The Doberman is a force protection dog. They fulfill that role in spades....they are not tracker dogs, get a bloodhound for that.

They require an owner who will spend time with them to teach right from wrong.....they are exceptionally fast and can be on a target before you can call them back.  DO NOT get a dobe and neglect it.

Tail docking: A proper breeder would have already had this done at 3 days.

Ear Trims: done at 10 weeks ....make sure to question your Vet on how many he/she has done.  This is not taught in vet school, it is learned by passing down from old vet to new vet.

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:34:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What a beautiful dog.
View Quote
QFT
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:36:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I've had several. They're awesome. Be careful though, I have always had little guys as well. We got a high strung show dog years ago. Super strong prey drive. He went to town on two of them. Thank god for credit cards and living near a really good surgical vet. My current one is the sweetest thing you've ever met. Would highly recommend if it's a one dog household.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#33]

He has grown a ton in just a month. I can't wait to see him in a year. Thats really all i have to contribute at this time.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:38:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Good looking dogs. Had one back in the 80s and one of the best.

Doberman owner.

Pitbull owner

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:41:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This guy is a dobie/lab mix. Very intelligent and loyal dog. Once he accepts a visitor into his pack they are his friend forever.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/128759/IMG-1333-173298.JPG
View Quote
I have a dobie/lab mix too and yep he's very smart (almost too smart) and loyal, friendly as hell unless he thinks someone is a threat to "his peeps" and is really affectionate. He's an awesome dog. But good God that tail will bruise the hell out of you, he never wagged his tail until he was about four months old, now 13 years later it never stops...and when it whacks you in the shins when he's standing right by your legs you know it.

He never barks either, I don't know if he learned that from the Husky or if he just decided he didn't want to be That Dog. No one who has ever heard him growl though wants to repeat doing whatever made him growl ever, ever again though.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#36]
We had two when I was growing up. Bo and Blitz were their names, and both were female.

Bo was very protective, and may have saved my Mother's, and my unborn life from some pushy salesman that tried to force their way into my home. She was smart as hell and a trained dog that could take silent commands. She ripped up the guy pretty good, but nothing ever came of it. Bo also had a jealous streak and would destroy things when she was mad. She would have also given her life to protect us.

Blitz was a basket case. She was smart as hell, but she was not one to be trusted. She never harmed anyone that wasn't us, but would tend to lull people in to try and pet her, so she could bite them. That could have been a product of her being and outside dog. I think she would have been different had she been raised indoors, and I have no idea why she was an outdoor dog.

Both were highly intelligent, and both were good protective dogs. They would now and again test their boundaries, and sometimes didn't get along with one another.

I would give anything to have another Bo.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:52:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Good looking dogs. Had one back in the 80s and one of the best.

Doberman owner.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/9e/18/59/9e18596e8ac482600d50cb05e5504d95.jpg

Pitbull owner

https://duhmerica.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/dog.jpg
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:52:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Good for you for going with a rescue. Natural ears are awesome, don't crop them it's way too late. (Sorry, I'm sure you already knew that)  as far as the bloody nose thing, I've found them to be a little clumsy till their about two. Great breed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:56:04 PM EDT
[#39]
One bit me in the junk when I was a kid, I have never trusted them since
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:58:20 PM EDT
[#40]
I had two. They were smart, loyal, sexy, and very protective of my family. I got them from an Italian breeder in the US that breed for mainly protection. My young children could climb on them and pull their ears and they loved it. With any smart dog, you need to make sure they know that they are a member of the family but at the bottom of the totem pole. Treat them good and they will do the same. Dobbies don't like to be kept outside. They want to be a member or the family. My male scared away a few prowlers and when we lived downtown Seattle. He never trusted a homeless person and was mildly racist of blacks. He would look back as we passed people to make sure they didn't attack from behind. They have a great sense of security. Don't bother getting one if you don't get the tail docked or ears cropped. That's what makes them look fearsome and what they are. I never pushed their protective instincts. I could say a single specific word and the male would go berserk barking on command. Funny when passing a panhandler as we drove by. Freaked them out. Crate train and set the rules. Don't abuse them and they will die for you. The female was less protective, but had a great nose and just wanted love. They knew how to open the gate by tapping on it with their feet.  Once when young the male got scolded for ripping up a pillow, the next time he figured out how to unzip it and then pulled the stuffing out. Pretty smart. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:59:47 PM EDT
[#41]
We had one in the 80's. Beautiful, loyal, gentle, protective, dumb as could be in the funny way. Well, he was pretty dumb.  

He was a great dog.

Oh, and ate like a horse. Took a lot to feed him.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:00:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Vicious dogs that can't be trusted around family............
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:01:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Good for you for going with a rescue. Natural ears are awesome, don't crop them it's way too late. (Sorry, I'm sure you already knew that)  as far as the bloody nose thing, I've found them to be a little clumsy till their about two. Great breed.
View Quote
Yeah I love cropped but he is too old and, his ears are quite floppy. Bloody noses was a friend was putting on his shoes and Hemi wanted some attention and came right up underneath him and that crown got him right between the eyes. The other was about a 7 year old, Hemi jumped up on him, the kid didn't like it, ran from Hemi, dog thought oh game! knocked him over and popped him too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:04:05 AM EDT
[#45]
I've only met about 5-7 dobermans in my life(I'm 25) and every single one was mean. Would growl as you walked by and bark as if they wanted to kill you. They all did this.

Obviously they are not all like that and I really want to meet a friendly one. They seem like cool and smart dogs.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:07:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Dobies are great pets. We got ours at 9 weeks and within 2 days he was house trained and knew sit, wait, and down. 4 days for complete crate training and leash trained.

He's a very excited puppy, but I work from home/in the field every day so I take him with me and show him all the attention he wants. In turn he's bonded very quickly with us and behaves very well. We start obedience classes next weekend, and from there we'll work on defensive work.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:08:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I've only met about 5-7 dobermans in my life(I'm 25) and every single one was mean. Would growl as you walked by and bark as if they wanted to kill you. They all did this.

Obviously they are not all like that and I really want to meet a friendly one. They seem like cool and smart dogs.
View Quote
Funny you say that. My dog, He growls at people walking past the house, barks sometimes if they are moving slower. Door bell rings he doesn't care.
In fact my brother came over one day. I hadn't informed him I had a dog well i left the front door open and he walks right on in. Hemi runs jumps on him and starts licking him. I'm glad it went that way as opposed to the other way but what a worthless guard dog! Thought thats what they were best at!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:17:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Poor girl.  

This is why you get a dog as a pup and raise it alongside your kids.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:21:04 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Funny you say that. My dog, He growls at people walking past the house, barks sometimes if they are moving slower. Door bell rings he doesn't care.
In fact my brother came over one day. I hadn't informed him I had a dog well i left the front door open and he walks right on in. Hemi runs jumps on him and starts licking him. I'm glad it went that way as opposed to the other way but what a worthless guard dog! Thought thats what they were best at!
View Quote
Get a Dobe to teach him how to act.  But then again, your brother would be requesting you pay his emergency room bill, that is if he didn't get a main artery cut by a canine tooth.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:27:16 AM EDT
[#50]
Dobermans are awesome. This is my dog Ace, he's 14 months old and a AKC champion.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top