User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:10:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I liked both Burns and Winchester.

While Klinger was funny, it got hard to accept him as a character when he started romancing the chick while still wearing dresses.
View Quote
I may be the only one, but I liked Winchester better than Burns and thought he was a better character.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:52:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I can't keep track of these minor units. Remind me. Were you over on Hovey? Straight legs? Were you the guys that we used to run through your butlers' quarters to wake them up, so it they knew it was time to get your breakfast of tea and toast going?

Was that you sissy little fucks? Over there by Toko-Ri or whatever it was called? With the warm beer and $3 grandma whores?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Warrior base 1986.

C 1/23rd.

Tomahawk!

I can't keep track of these minor units. Remind me. Were you over on Hovey? Straight legs? Were you the guys that we used to run through your butlers' quarters to wake them up, so it they knew it was time to get your breakfast of tea and toast going?

Was that you sissy little fucks? Over there by Toko-Ri or whatever it was called? With the warm beer and $3 grandma whores?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Chipyong-ni

That's what unit he was in.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:55:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I couldn't stand that show. Their whole shtick bored me to no end. The movie was okay but that show sucked.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:12:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Purple earings. The 16 year old USMC Ron Howard. And the Cowboy Pilot.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:24:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I liked the show generally, and strnagely, I greatly preferred Col Potter over Henry Blake. I could barely tolerate any episode with Sydney in it, and the "Alan Alda will now act" episodes were torture, like the "Patrick Stewart will now act" episodes of Star Trek TNG.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:28:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is this an old people thread?

Because most arfcommies have never watched a single episode.
View Quote
not true...I remember watching it because all I had in my room as a young kid was antennae.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:32:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I loved the show as a kid.  

Watching it these days though, I just want to yell at pretty much everyone to
"tuck those friggin' dog tags in!" lol 

I KNOW, it was part of the costume (Exposed 'tags) so we never ever ever forgot that
they were in the military but it still bugs me (I'll just sit quietly here and twitch now). 
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:19:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I think Frank Burns would have been an ARFCOMMER. He was always into guns and being tactical for the time.  Favorite episodes are where Burns drives the Sherman through the camp and the prisoner exchange where he violates the rules.  He ends up taking a small semi-auto Hot Lips gives him after they had orders of no weapons.  He always was the one to have survival instinct.

Yeah Nurse Kelley would have kept me warm during those cold winters
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Warrior base 1986.

C 1/23rd.

Tomahawk!

LOL, didn't mean nothing by it. Just a little left over in-service rivalry between 1/23 and 1/17. Kinda like the rivalry between the men who went through OSUT at Harmony Church, and the kids who went through the Sand Hilton, what with their maids serving them breakfast in bed, and the hot and cold running hookers on tap.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:38:20 AM EDT
[#10]
This show went off the air 34 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:42:09 AM EDT
[#11]
The anti-gun slant of every cast member except Frank and Winter, the CIA guy, drove me nuts. You're in the fucking ARMY for gods sake.

P.S. Ho-Jon the house boy being a NK spy was the best plot twist ever.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Due to circumstances beyond our control, lunch will be served today.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:44:02 AM EDT
[#13]
He was the best damn O.D we ever had.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Loved it as a kid until I realized Alda's comic genius was basically warmed over Groucho Marx, Winchester's values, constantly ridiculed, were close to my own, and way too liberal and preachy.

The movie was much funnier: "Colonel, fairs fair, if I nail  Hotlips and hit Hawkeyes, can I go home too?"
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
LOL, didn't mean nothing by it. Just a little left over in-service rivalry between 1/23 and 1/17. Kinda like the rivalry between the men who went through OSUT at Harmony Church, and the kids who went through the Sand Hilton, what with their maids serving them breakfast in bed, and the hot and cold running hookers on tap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Warrior base 1986.

C 1/23rd.

Tomahawk!

Both battalions were deployed to Afghanistan in 2012. 1-17 has a nice conference room, but 1-23 has a museum.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Alan Alda/
View Quote
This!
One of those people that just seeing them makes me want to punch them in the face. See also, bill maher or however you spell his name.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:05:44 AM EDT
[#17]
left wing agenda pushing anti American anti US Military anti authority didactic entertainment propaganda
like nearly all entertainment
religion is not the opium of the people...entertainment is...
a little bit of fun helps the poison go down
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The episode where they stole his desk was hysterical.
View Quote
But to saw off a man's legs and sreal his drawers..."

Remember the short lived Maclane Stevenson Show that followed? Funny as hell!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh yeah, Motherfucker?

Have you even ever had a grandma whore?

Experience counts.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Having spent the winter of 1974-1975 in Uijeongbu... you are correct, it never showed how cold it really was.

I had the "good barracks" (built of concrete) I slept in my issue down sleeping bag, covered with both issue wool blankets AND a blanket I bought at the PX... it was a challenge to keep warn enough to sleep!

They were still issuing M1951 wool clothing and the fishtail parka with button in lining and button on hood.

and... there was still a MASH unit at Camp Casey!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was never cold enough.

I know that wouldn't make for a good sitcom but I believe it was a good deal colder than they ever showed.
Having spent the winter of 1974-1975 in Uijeongbu... you are correct, it never showed how cold it really was.

I had the "good barracks" (built of concrete) I slept in my issue down sleeping bag, covered with both issue wool blankets AND a blanket I bought at the PX... it was a challenge to keep warn enough to sleep!

They were still issuing M1951 wool clothing and the fishtail parka with button in lining and button on hood.

and... there was still a MASH unit at Camp Casey!
It was in Korea where I learned that if someone tells you the wind chill is -40, you don't have to ask, "Celsius or Fahrenheit."
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#21]
IIRC, wasn't there one episode where Nurse Kelly got all pissy because Hawkeye wouldn't give her the time of day, and ended up taking her on a date?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Seriously, nobody mentions the model of the UH-1 Huey hanging in the corner of Blakes office?  That killed it for me right there.  

Love MASH, and Winchester was a much better foil to Hawkeye than Burns.  Winchester was a better surgeon.  Although I was kinda pissed that he got Radar's mouse hooked on drugs.  Bastage.  I really liked the mouse, so much range, so much depth, he would have made a great Stuart Little.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Show went to shit after Blake.
View Quote
That was a brillant career move by McLean Stevenson.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Everything you ever need to know about M*A*S*H the TV show.

Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce - “I'll carry on, carry over, carry forth, Cary Grant, cash and carry, carry me back to Old Virginny, I'll even 'hari-kari' if you show me how, but I will not carry a gun!”
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Warrior base 1986.

C 1/23rd.

Tomahawk!
View Quote
Warrior Base 1984

C 1/23 In Rgt

Tomahawk
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I may be the only one, but I liked Winchester better than Burns and thought he was a better character.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I liked both Burns and Winchester.

While Klinger was funny, it got hard to accept him as a character when he started romancing the chick while still wearing dresses.
larry linville was the best actor on that show.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Can we talk about the Mary Tyler Moore show next.. ?

fer fuks sake... M*A*S*H... its a TV show. key word being "show".
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 11:36:20 AM EDT
[#30]
First two years were good.  Went down hill fast after that.  "It's nice to be nice to the nice".  LOL
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There's a thread from yesterday where the op asks what side you put your cock on....go post in that thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a thread from yesterday where the op asks what side you put your cock on....go post in that thread.
It's probably the left cheek. Of his mouth.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't like it. I don't like it at all!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Corporal Captain
I don't like it. I don't like it at all!
We'll mark down, 1 for no on the form sir
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
She's a Lebanese crossdresser?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's the show that taught me everything I know about my wife's culture.
She's a Lebanese crossdresser?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yup.  Two different mindsets between generations.  The "shim-youngs" would curse you for being American while drinking Coke, wearing Levi's and listening to American music and the older generations would invite you to their place to meet their family.  Two TOTALLY different worlds, but the seasoned citizens - they knew the deal.

In Front of them All.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were times that we couldn't leave the camp, because there were college kids protesting or rioting or whatever out in front of the gate, for whatever reason. American imperialism, cultural disruption, whatever.

Anyways, when the kids weren't running rampant, we would often venture far away from the GI areas and wind up in shitty little dives full of old ass locals. It was almost impossible to buy a drink in places like that. So many old men giving us thanks, telling us stories about how it was back then, and how glad that we're still there.

Humbling, and kind of energizing. I dunno, maybe you had to be there.
Yup.  Two different mindsets between generations.  The "shim-youngs" would curse you for being American while drinking Coke, wearing Levi's and listening to American music and the older generations would invite you to their place to meet their family.  Two TOTALLY different worlds, but the seasoned citizens - they knew the deal.

In Front of them All.
You spelled "In Front of the Mall" wrong 

You JSA alumni too?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I could go the rest of my life never seeing another anti war piece of commie faggotry or instance of hollyweird leftist YT did it horse shit, and be plum happy.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:40:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now. Now it's a party.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quite frankly I really wish other shows took their queue from that...imagine if on Growing Pains when Kirk Cameron came back from hiatus born again and the writers just killed him off on the opening show of the new season.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Great memories watching that show with my Dad, and I can even deal with the later seasons with replacements Potter, Winchester, and B.J. but it was never the same and seemed to get more anti war as the series progressed. What I didn't like was the awkwardness of Blake as the C.O. as he never seemed to be in charge and played dumb. Love his character though.

The episode where they stole his desk was hysterical.
View Quote
I'm coming to you from deep inside a REAL big empty.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Don't get me wrong, I like the show. I can set aside the obvious liberal slant, because I have a sense of nostalgia about it. I relate to the tent living from my time spent on Warrior Base, and the couple tours spent in Korea in general.

I can put aside the transition from madcap comedy to sentimental dramady.

I can put aside the replacement of characters, for the worse. Blake for Potter. Trapper for BJ. Burns for Winchester.

But there are a couple things that still annoy me.

1. Poor, lovelorn Nurse Kellye. Come on. She's a female in a combat zone. Yes, she's a chubby little bitch. She still would have had no problem getting stuffed full of cock. After her first year there, if she'd had as many dicks sticking out of her as she'd had sticking in, she'd look like a fucking porcupine. And she did a lot more than a year there. Seriously, there were fucking marines in the area. They'll fuck anything, even bitchy little fat girls.

2. The sense of entitlement that the entire unit has to some people's gear. Hawkeye and BJ's bathtub. Frank's heated socks. Winchester's newspapers. Holy fuck! It ain't your shit! Envy them, ask where they got it, but it ain't yours! Before I joined the Army, I was a Boy Scout and an experienced camper. I was often geared up and supplied better than most of my comrades, but they NEVER acted entitled to my shit. They would follow my lead on the next field problem, but they NEVER acted entitled to my shit.

Really, though, the series' biggest loss was Frank Burns. God bless you, Larry Linville.
View Quote

Docs in med units have always gotten "perks" and pussy
Trust me
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Thinking about Colonel Flagg still makes me laugh, but Holy Shit that show stunk on ice.

Watched every episode as it first aired on TV, though, because we didn't have a lot of channels in those days. Missed the finale because I was at OSUT at FT Benning.

We get it already! The Army is stupid. Fine, whatever. Just beat it into the ground already...
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'll watch it up until Frank leaves, then I'm done. The original cast was best, IMO. (Heck, they even had Spearchucker.)
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Is this an old people thread?

Because most arfcommies have never watched a single episode.
View Quote
I'm 29 and have watched the whole series
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Watch 2 shows at 6pm almost every night. I'm 68 and believe it or not , I have a 19 yr old friend in college that does the same and loves it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Watch 2 shows at 6pm almost every night. I'm 68 and believe it or not , I have a 19 yr old friend in college that does the same and loves it.
View Quote
Whoa.

Is she hot?

You pimp!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The thing that bothered me is that it was commentary on the Vietnam War, but was set in the Korean War.

The theme of many episodes was "war is stupid, futile, and it solves no problems".

Oh really?  Well, the people of South Korean have that war to thank for the fact that they haven't lived under a succession of psycho Kims for the last 64 years. It definitely solved some problems for them.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, they got back at him.

By killing him off.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It's a tax.
View Quote
No,  It's tape
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That's the show that taught me everything I know about my wife's culture.
View Quote
LOL...1950's Army culture?
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Watch MASH every night.  Love it.  

But what drives me crazy is that they always put the top staff in harms way.  "Hi, there's an unexploded bomb in the compound, lets all go out and play with it".   "Let's all to to the prisoner exchange."  Etc... etc... etc...
View Quote
I know different show/ concept..always thought that about Star Trek..any of them
"away mission?...all senior staff!!!"
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top