Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/24/2017 9:39:12 PM EDT
Don't get me wrong, I like the show. I can set aside the obvious liberal slant, because I have a sense of nostalgia about it. I relate to the tent living from my time spent on Warrior Base, and the couple tours spent in Korea in general.

I can put aside the transition from madcap comedy to sentimental dramady.

I can put aside the replacement of characters, for the worse. Blake for Potter. Trapper for BJ. Burns for Winchester.

But there are a couple things that still annoy me.

1. Poor, lovelorn Nurse Kellye. Come on. She's a female in a combat zone. Yes, she's a chubby little bitch. She still would have had no problem getting stuffed full of cock. After her first year there, if she'd had as many dicks sticking out of her as she'd had sticking in, she'd look like a fucking porcupine. And she did a lot more than a year there. Seriously, there were fucking marines in the area. They'll fuck anything, even bitchy little fat girls.

2. The sense of entitlement that the entire unit has to some people's gear. Hawkeye and BJ's bathtub. Frank's heated socks. Winchester's newspapers. Holy fuck! It ain't your shit! Envy them, ask where they got it, but it ain't yours! Before I joined the Army, I was a Boy Scout and an experienced camper. I was often geared up and supplied better than most of my comrades, but they NEVER acted entitled to my shit. They would follow my lead on the next field problem, but they NEVER acted entitled to my shit.

Really, though, the series' biggest loss was Frank Burns. God bless you, Larry Linville.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Alan Alda/
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#2]
It was never cold enough.

I know that wouldn't make for a good sitcom but I believe it was a good deal colder than they ever showed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:45:34 PM EDT
[#3]
After seeing the Motion Picture, the Series SUCKED ASS!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Warrior base 1986.

C 1/23rd.

Tomahawk!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:51:02 PM EDT
[#5]
You tell'em ferret face.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Is this an old people thread?

Because most arfcommies have never watched a single episode.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:52:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
It's a tax.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#8]
OP understands how TV shows work just as much as he understands property rights.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Show went to shit after Blake.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#10]
We had a close family friend that was a MASH doc in Korea.The liberal slant of the TV series aside, he noted there were times of extreme boredom between long sessions of emergency medicine, and this relieved by heavy drinking, and "fraternizing" with nurses. 
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#11]
"Get us out of the UN" 
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:56:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup, so butt out kiddo.
Best sitcom ever.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I liked both Burns and Winchester.

While Klinger was funny, it got hard to accept him as a character when he started romancing the chick while still wearing dresses.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:58:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I know that wouldn't make for a good sitcom but I believe it was a good deal colder than they ever showed.
View Quote
They had some shows about the cold and the heat.

My first tour there, I got there at the end of January, 1985. There was this Filipino guy in my squad, DelRosario, who got there about the same time I did. Our first field problem, we're rolling out in the 113, and the PSG tells us, "if you get too cold, let me know and I'll send you back in the track to warm up".

So we get to wherever we're supposed to be, and everyone exits the 113 and drops on the ground in the snow in early February. We're there maybe 10 seconds before Delrose asks the PSG if he can get get back in the track. Me, I grew up on Lake Ontario. I solo camped in winter there. But Delrose, he wasn't used to that shit. PSG told him to watch his the perimeter, and he'd fucking tell him when he was cold enough to get back in the track.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Warrior Base has wifi in the chow hall now, yah old farts
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:00:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#17]
The thing that bothered me is that it was commentary on the Vietnam War, but was set in the Korean War.

The theme of many episodes was "war is stupid, futile, and it solves no problems".

Oh really?  Well, the people of South Korean have that war to thank for the fact that they haven't lived under a succession of psycho Kims for the last 64 years. It definitely solved some problems for them.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Having spent the winter of 1974-1975 in Uijeongbu... you are correct, it never showed how cold it really was.

I had the "good barracks" (built of concrete) I slept in my issue down sleeping bag, covered with both issue wool blankets AND a blanket I bought at the PX... it was a challenge to keep warn enough to sleep!

They were still issuing M1951 wool clothing and the fishtail parka with button in lining and button on hood.

and... there was still a MASH unit at Camp Casey!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I liked both Burns and Winchester.

While Klinger was funny, it got hard to accept him as a character when he started romancing the chick while still wearing dresses.
View Quote
The cross-dressing thing got carried on WAY too long. It's like those puerile jokes that are so overused (especially here).

dikfer

Roll her in flour and fuck the wet spot

Deez nuts

Fo

Shit like that. Even after he stopped wearing dresses, I didn't like him. Shtick has a shelf life.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:09:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Warrior Base has wifi in the chow hall now, yah old farts
View Quote
There's a chow hall?

We had to capture Norks and grill'em. Bony fuckers.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Corporal Captain
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#22]
In spite of the humor I thought it was a depressing show.  
Heck, even the theme song was about committing suicide.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:18:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I can remember many episodes where it was very cold.  The electric socks episode you mention, for example.

I can't stand the liberal shtick anymore, I could probably watch some of the early episodes.

Camp Greaves, 88-89
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:19:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Corporal Captain
View Quote
I don't like it. I don't like it at all!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:23:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I can remember many episodes where it was very cold.  The electric socks episode you mention, for example.

I can't stand the liberal shtick anymore, I could probably watch some of the early episodes.

Camp Greaves, 88-89
View Quote
I've been watching MASH reruns and the older shows definitely hold up better.  Wayne Rogers and McLean Stevenson definitely kept that show grounded.

Watching it all these years later the thing that struck me is that I always thought of Alan Alda as the most lefty member of the cast.  Not true.  That title clearly belongs to "BJ Honeycutt" Mike Ferrell.  That guy is *really* annoying and was a really poor substitute for Wayne Rogers who was far more talented.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Having spent the winter of 1974-1975 in Uijeongbu... you are correct, it never showed how cold it really was.

I had the "good barracks" (built of concrete) I slept in my issue down sleeping bag, covered with both issue wool blankets AND a blanket I bought at the PX... it was a challenge to keep warn enough to sleep!
View Quote
My Dad was USAF, a staff sgt. during the war. He was there in '51.

He passed away when I was seven years old but the one thing I have never forgotten him saying about the war was how bitterly cold it was. Frostbite, never being warm.

Now he was from the Smokey Mtns in North Carolina so horrible cold wasn't something he was used to. But man, did he ever hate being cold. Maybe why he settled down in Texas.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#27]
That's the show that taught me everything I know about my wife's culture.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Jeep crash...Tent.........boom.....crash........kill?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:27:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The thing that bothered me is that it was commentary on the Vietnam War, but was set in the Korean War.

The theme of many episodes was "war is stupid, futile, and it solves no problems".

Oh really?  Well, the people of South Korean have that war to thank for the fact that they haven't lived under a succession of psycho Kims for the last 64 years. It definitely solved some problems for them.
View Quote
There were times that we couldn't leave the camp, because there were college kids protesting or rioting or whatever out in front of the gate, for whatever reason. American imperialism, cultural disruption, whatever.

Anyways, when the kids weren't running rampant, we would often venture far away from the GI areas and wind up in shitty little dives full of old ass locals. It was almost impossible to buy a drink in places like that. So many old men giving us thanks, telling us stories about how it was back then, and how glad that we're still there.

Humbling, and kind of energizing. I dunno, maybe you had to be there.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:30:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You tell'em ferret face.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
war is still diplomacy.  Yer right.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Watch MASH every night.  Love it.  

But what drives me crazy is that they always put the top staff in harms way.  "Hi, there's an unexploded bomb in the compound, lets all go out and play with it".   "Let's all to to the prisoner exchange."  Etc... etc... etc...
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#33]
They did get the nurses are horny crazy sluts part right though.

Some things are just timeless.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
It introduced me to it, being there taught me a lot more! Yongsan 93-94, 02-05.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:40:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Alan Alda/
View Quote
FPNI
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I've been watching MASH reruns and the older shows definitely hold up better.  Wayne Rogers and McLean Stevenson definitely kept that show grounded.

Watching it all these years later the thing that struck me is that I always thought of Alan Alda as the most lefty member of the cast.  Not true.  That title clearly belongs to "BJ Honeycutt" Mike Ferrell.  That guy is *really* annoying and was a really poor substitute for Wayne Rogers who was far more talented.
View Quote
Oh yeah, BJ was far left of even Hawkeye, who was very far left.

One thing I really like about the show is that Hawkeye was very leftist, and very mentally ill.

I don't think they were going for level of verisimilitude. That leftists are inherently mentally ill. But by the end of the series, they pretty much proved it, intentionally or not.

He was crazy. The war may have exacerbated that, but he was looney from the start.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:54:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Warrior base 1986.

C 1/23rd.

Tomahawk!
View Quote

I can't keep track of these minor units. Remind me. Were you over on Hovey? Straight legs? Were you the guys that we used to run through your butlers' quarters to wake them up, so it they knew it was time to get your breakfast of tea and toast going?

Was that you sissy little fucks? Over there by Toko-Ri or whatever it was called? With the warm beer and $3 grandma whores?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:02:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Emotionally exhausted, morally bankrupt.-- toe tag.

5 o'clock charlie.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Great memories watching that show with my Dad, and I can even deal with the later seasons with replacements Potter, Winchester, and B.J. but it was never the same and seemed to get more anti war as the series progressed. What I didn't like was the awkwardness of Blake as the C.O. as he never seemed to be in charge and played dumb. Love his character though.

The episode where they stole his desk was hysterical.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:12:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Liked the show 30+ years ago.

Hard to watch now knowing what I know now about it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:15:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
She's a Lebanese crossdresser?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:22:12 PM EDT
[#42]
My biggest problem?

The Korean War lasted three years... MASH was on for nine seasons.

That means nine Christmas specials for a three year war.

I'm also drunk.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:25:18 PM EDT
[#43]
I kinda liked Radar O'Reilly
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:26:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My biggest problem?

The Korean War lasted three years... MASH was on for nine seasons.

That means nine Christmas specials for a three year war.

I'm also drunk.
View Quote
HA!

Good point!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:26:54 PM EDT
[#45]
If pay attention when they are in the club, there is a sign on the back wall that says " air ambulance" and has a picture of a UH1 on it!  The show was all about Vietnam, always was even the movie.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:30:16 PM EDT
[#46]
By '76 the show was going downhill.

At least it reminds people we were in Korea.

The " entitlement " you reference is the set-up for the joke.

Maybe they should have put a fence thru the middle of the swamp to keep people outta their stuff.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:33:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

There were times that we couldn't leave the camp, because there were college kids protesting or rioting or whatever out in front of the gate, for whatever reason. American imperialism, cultural disruption, whatever.

Anyways, when the kids weren't running rampant, we would often venture far away from the GI areas and wind up in shitty little dives full of old ass locals. It was almost impossible to buy a drink in places like that. So many old men giving us thanks, telling us stories about how it was back then, and how glad that we're still there.

Humbling, and kind of energizing. I dunno, maybe you had to be there.
View Quote
Yup.  Two different mindsets between generations.  The "shim-youngs" would curse you for being American while drinking Coke, wearing Levi's and listening to American music and the older generations would invite you to their place to meet their family.  Two TOTALLY different worlds, but the seasoned citizens - they knew the deal.

In Front of them All.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 11:59:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If pay attention when they are in the club, there is a sign on the back wall that says " air ambulance" and has a picture of a UH1 on it!  The show was all about Vietnam, always was even the movie.
View Quote
there's a model of a huey hanging from the ceiling in blake's office too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:06:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I can't keep track of these minor units. Remind me. Were you over on Hovey? Straight legs? Were you the guys that we used to run through your butlers' quarters to wake them up, so it they knew it was time to get your breakfast of tea and toast going?

Was that you sissy little fucks? Over there by Toko-Ri or whatever it was called? With the warm beer and $3 grandma whores?
View Quote
IN!

1-9 INF, 2ID, CP HOVEY 95-96
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:08:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You tell'em ferret face.
View Quote
Frank Burns eats worms!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top