Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/24/2017 6:43:30 PM EDT
About a half an hour ago, a very loud fast plane buzzed by house.  I went outside and I could hear him circling around.  Out of the south I saw him cornering hard and in a dive.  He leveled out and passed overhead so low and fast he shook my windows.  If he was going slower I could have easily read the numbers on the side of the plane.  I don't know what model of plane it was.  It was a low wing single engine with retractable landing gear, painted blue on the bottom and white on top.

Went and got my camera to see if I could catch him a third time, but he never came back.

If I were able to get pictures and his number on the side, do you think I should rat him out to the FAA, or not.  Poll coming.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#1]
"Teacher! Teacher!"
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Before ratting anyone out, do you know what the limits are?  
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Was it Harrison Ford?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Jesus. You you sound like those people that call in on the crop dusters.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jesus. You you sound like those people that call in on the crop dusters.
View Quote
No crops around here.  Residential suburb of a major metropolitan area.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Free airshow with cheap food and drinks and find something to complain about.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
About a half an hour ago, a very loud fast plane buzzed by house.  I went outside and I could hear him circling around.  Out of the south I saw him cornering hard and in a dive.  He leveled out and passed overhead so low and fast he shook my windows.  If he was going slower I could have easily read the numbers on the side of the plane.  I don't know what model of plane it was.  It was a low wing single engine with retractable landing gear, painted blue on the bottom and white on top.

Went and got my camera to see if I could catch him a third time, but he never came back.

If I were able to get pictures and his number on the side, do you think I should rat him out to the FAA, or not.  Poll coming.
View Quote

I see you have found your quest.   So, what is your favorite color?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Randy Rhodes says yes.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Highly suspect its approved airshow maneuvers that would have the FAA's permission. But if it scratches your hall monitor itch then by all means call.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Next time use a FIM-92 instead your camera. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Rat bastards are every where these days!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I would be waving not crying.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Write a letter to the ATF first.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:58:09 PM EDT
[#17]
And this is why you only buzz a place once or twice, never three times.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Interestingly enough, the same thing happened about 15 years ago when I lived in a different part of the country which lead to the creation of CoC #5.   I posted pictures of the plane and people ran his number through the FAA.  Within a short amount of time people were posting his name, home address, place of employment and actual pictures of him.  IIRC, he was a teacher at a local school and one of the members here was a former student. I sent him a link to the thread on this site and asked him if it was such a good idea to fly so low.  SHAZAM!  CoC # 5 was born.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Why do so many pilots hate you OP?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#20]
What, you don't have a drone you could launch at him?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#21]
He's trying to watch your daughter changing, shoot him down, perfectly legal and is your right
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Highly suspect its approved airshow maneuvers that would have the FAA's permission. But if it scratches your hall monitor itch then by all means call.
View Quote
Low over a house?   I doubt it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Would you want someone to rat you out if you were flying low to find your missing daughter?  The point is you don't know why the pilot was flying in that manner in that space.  Let it go.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Would you want someone to rat you out if you were flying low to find your missing daughter?  The point is you don't know why the pilot was flying in that manner in that space.  Let it go.
View Quote
With how fast and low he was going he wouldn't be able to find anyone.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:07:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In my experience people tend to misjudge altitude VERY badly.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Lucky bastard.
I only get buzzed before the air-races, and sometimes after.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

With how fast and low he was going he wouldn't be able to find anyone.
View Quote
What if she was really fat?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#29]
My house gets buzzed every day.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#30]
I like it when airplanes buzz my house.  We get a lot of C-130's training for Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
You think houses aren't built by airports? Good call.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#32]
No.  

FWIW, the Blue Angels buzz my house for a couple days every year.  Lots of my neighbors bitch and moan, but I love it.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Snitches get ditches.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:15:47 PM EDT
[#34]
If the guy did it on a regular basis I would probably drop a dime on him,once or twice hell no
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#35]
People used to rat each other out for listening to non-approved radios in Nazi Germany. 

Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#36]
may want to wash out some of that vagina sand OP...
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#37]
I was going to say sorry for buzzing you house, see my pilot buddy/family member/own house was in the flight path that took me over your house but then I realized it wasn't me this time because I only do one pass and haul ass in case some douche wants to report me for NOT breaking the FAR's, my house gets buzzed about every other day by one friend or another, occasional A-10's and Chinooks as well. I love it, its the flying equivalent of driving by and honking the horn at a friends house
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:21:17 PM EDT
[#38]
see if he had his ADS-B working?

https://global.adsbexchange.com/VirtualRadar/desktop.html
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Pipeline patrol. Chill.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live under a downwind leg for a large industrial airport. I have F-18s, T-38s, C-130s, bizjets, warbirds, all kinds of stuff flying over all the time

Funny because my last house was under a DFW approach.

The one before that was out in the boonies, but DIRECTLY under an MTR. We had Sabreliners, T-45s and T-38s flying over at very low altitude ALL the time
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Try having a couple of A-10 do a simulated strafing/bomb run on you while working out in a large field.

They did it quite often when I was doing custom ag application .
Kinda gives you the willies, I didn't care it was impressive. I'd wave, most of the time they'd wave back, when they peeled off in a 90* bank turn..
Have a buddy who owns a large quarry/gravel plant at The Lake of the Ozarks, they would come in low over the lake and do the same on his place.
He didn't care, but the uppity neighbors complained enough they got it stopped.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Federal Aviation Regulations
Part 91.119 - Minimum safe altitudes: General.

(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.

(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

So the question is do you live in town or in the country.       If in town they should have been at least 1000 high.          If in the country there is NO height requirement.     They can fly at 10 feet as long as they stay 500 feet from people or buildings.

As for reporting them,   You can call the FAA or the local Flight Standards District Offices (FSDO) or you can stand in your yard and shake your fist at them as the fly over.      Both will have the same results.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#43]
No need to involve the feds, they'll just put a tracking chip in your head, right behind the ear most likely.
If they haven't already.

Next time, get out in the yard, blade at whatever degree seems prudent, rack your 12 ga.
He'll not be back after that manly display.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#44]
I would think something like that happening would be cool as fuck.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:32:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Did you at least get out your M1 Garand and try to shoot it down?
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I would be waving not crying.
View Quote
Me too, hell I love it when aircraft pass down low, luckily I get pretty good exposure that way to low and slow C-17 Globemaster III's that fly directly over my home, various military helicopter flights, an occasional Osprey and a lot of VFR traffic in the form of air ambulances and what I assume are military helos flying lights out at night.

Every great once in a while a fast mover or two will streak through, no regular traffic like a I used to get at another location, they used bank over my house just west of Quantico, 25 years ago, so low I could see the pilot's face mask and make our panels and fasteners and such on the aircraft, they always created a sonic boom, every time.  

Upon thinking about it, when I used to live in Waco, Texas, out along the Brazos river, I used stand in the yard every morning so I could wave at the few jets that flew straight over the house low and fast as hell. 

They usually waved backed. 
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#47]
If you could tell he was Muslim,  Yes!  If not I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Before ratting anyone out, do you know what the limits are?  
View Quote
I have a lens long enough to get his tail number.  I'd see what the minimum altitude is over my house and go from there.
Probably not.  A repeat offender?  Not sure.

I've got a small private field near my house.  Private planes fly over and around me all the time.
So far no one has done barrel rolls and buzzed the garden shed.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
In my experience people tend to misjudge altitude VERY badly.
View Quote
This.

I've had people be off by thousands of feet
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top