Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2001 5:08:21 PM EDT
Thinking about getting a para , probably a P12 in .45.  I eventually want to use it for CCW to replace my SA TRP.  Any opinions, either positive or negative regarding the paras?

How much would a P12 limited in blue cost me?  What is a good source, I can't find a local dealer (besides Dave's guns and I won't buy from them).  How rare are hicaps, and how much?  Do the guns still come with coupons for 2 preban hicaps?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had three P12, all alloy frame, one Limited. All were very reliable, very accurate, I did have some QC issues with the Limited so I wouldn't recommend it.  Hicaps can be had online or at gun shows but be prepared to spend around $75-100 for them.  Don't know about the coupons. Frankly I would advise you not to stop carrying your TRP---I carry a full size Kimber and I live in central Florida, where it is almost always hot.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 5:15:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I know alot of people like the Para line but the one I bought was a POS...
At least the dealer I bought it from took it back and I got a Sig 220 which kicks butt.

If your looking for a 1911 model I'd suggest a Kimber all the way...I've got an Ultra carry that eats anything I put in it.

Good luck
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a stainless P1445, and I LOVE it! I'm planning on buying a 1445 Limited in black soon.
As for mags, I know they still include the coupon with the 1445's. I suppose they still do for the 1245, but I'd ask. I've had e-mail correspondance with them several times and they are always very prompt with a reply.
Cost-wise, you're looking at around $700, plus or minus for the LTD model. Easily worth it though. Mags are a different story - expensive!
The one's from Para that they sell you with the coupon cost $49 each. On gunbroker.com I regularly see them sell for over $80. I cuurently have 9 hicaps for my 1445, and the three that aren't factory (MecGar) fail to feed the last two rounds, so stay with factory mags.

JUST DO IT!!!!  You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I own two...an "original" frame aluminum P14 and an LDA. Have had no issues with them. Both accurate and reliable. Don't routinely carry them though...usually carry a Mod 23 Glock.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a p 14 and I love it 1500 rnds or so and not 1 problem. hi caps are spendy but cdn has them. the ramped barel is a plus
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 5:26:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the p14 limited.  I really like that gun and haven't had any problems with it.

a couple of para boards:

[url]http://members3.boardhost.com/ParaOrd/[/url]

[url]http://www.1911forum.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Para-Ordnance&number=23&DaysPrune=20&LastLogin=[/url]

Link Posted: 5/2/2001 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I see you already found the second one!  I am sure you can find one closer, but a friend bought one from Durango guns.  Decent price.  Not the cheapest I have ever seen.

Para has a dealer search on their web page...

[url]http://www.paraord.com/home.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I have had good experience with the P14s Limited- It has a very smooth Trigger and has custom features that would cost lots to have put in.  At least the P14s Limited I have shot will feed anything .. It also functioned when some reloads my Glock 21 would not like.  The accuracy is amazing.. Diassembly/assembly for cleanup is much harder and have to dodge springs if not careful, but can get used to once you get hang of it - At least I found my custom colt was much easier in that case.  Limited is tha way to go.. Although I can not wait until my P16 comes in, in Limited version ofcourse.. I have heard good things also on Kimbers.. all owners have  been very please..On P16's you can extend you Mag capacity to 21 rnds I have heard with adapters.. At least Hunter Customs does that..
Just do it !   You will not be disappointed!  Great guns for Bowling Pin shoots!
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#9]
"Great guns for Bowling Pin shoots!"

You got that right!!!  We shoot a lot of pins at the local range just for fun.... nothing more fun than going up against some unsuspecting newbie with a Glock 17 who thinks you only have 7 rounds....
Each shot with a .45 sends the pins flying. The 9MM sometimes doesn't even knock them over.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Unfinished.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Gus ... check out the site of my friend and custom maker...

There is an AVI and Bob shoots in competition..

check out the speed this guys "blows" the Pins away and watch the guy next door .. if you have a sound system , it is interesting to hear the shots..

He will still not tell me what kinda loads he loads for this P16 he uses..

He used to shoot his custom colts...  but check it out!

http://www.huntercustoms.com/
[pistol]
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#13]
With the Para, I can't get past the triggers. They just look wrong. I am sure Para's are great guns, but they look unnatural.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Love my two-tone P-12. Great accuracy from a short barrel. My wife likes it so much, she wants to get a P-14 LDA.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 6:56:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thinking about getting a para , probably a P12 in .45.  I eventually want to use it for CCW to replace my SA TRP.  Any opinions, either positive or negative regarding the paras?

How much would a P12 limited in blue cost me?  What is a good source, I can't find a local dealer (besides Dave's guns and I won't buy from them).  How rare are hicaps, and how much?  Do the guns still come with coupons for 2 preban hicaps?

Thanks!
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Made in CANADA [:)]
View Quote

`Bout time you guys did something right!!!

[;D]

Just kidding, of course...
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 7:31:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey HKocher - Here's one:

[url]http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=1277641[/url]
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Wow, this board never fails me, 18 replies in a couple hours!  

Thanks to all for the info.  I'm going to go make my rounds of all the local gun shops tomorrow and see what I can dig up, and see what size works well for me.  I saw a picture of a SS p12 and it looked pretty sharp, so I might look into one of those.  I normally don't like SS handguns, but I admit it looks good on a 1911, like my TRP.

I'm not too worried about expensive hicaps, plus it's nice to have the option.

RikWriter, I'm not going to replace the TRP unless I find a reliable substitute, I hear what you're saying, but a that's a lotta gun, so I'm looking to down size a bit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#20]
One more issue, how's the grip frame size?  Anyone have any issue with the grip being oversized, or uncomfortable?
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:47:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a 16-40 LTD and it's the best gun I own. It doesn't like truncated bullets though. Other than that it's reliable, very accurate, and not allot of recoil. My Sig or HK would be my gun of choice if I had to go out in the field, but for urban life, it's the Para all the way. There's a few dealers online that have the 18 round mags for $75, or you still get the coupons with the gun. The grip is pretty fat, like a .45 double stack, wich I like.

18 rounds of .40 155gr. JHP, very little recoil, 1911 feel, and great accuracy make for an appealing combo in  my book.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 9:00:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey, Hkocher!

First things first,

Where the heck have you been? You can't just walk off and leave like that! I tried it once, and the board almost died![:D]

If you're not worried about the Hicap prices, go for it! They're excellent firearms, and though I prefer my USP, the low mounted sights and reliabilty of the 1911, combined with the high capacity is a killer package. I'd go for one myself, but yo no quiero dinero, sabe?[:D]

The wider grip is fine, even with most normal sized hands, and it helps "spread" the recoil across the palm. Only Hicap cost keeps me from one at the moment. Get a P-14, it's better balanced in my opinion, but that's me.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Juggs,
Sorry, I kinda fell off the face of the planet for a while!

Well, my DSL is gone until I can find a new provider that will cover where I live, so that took a hell of a lot of fun out of this fancy new-fangled internet thing.  I was using one of those free month AOL deals for a while!

I started a new job, so I've been working my butt off, plus, I'm planning to move to St. Louis in a couple months, so I've got that going.  Anyhoo, I'm back, but you won't see me too much until things stabilize, or until I get another high-speed provider.

Well, you (and others) might wonder what the hell I'm doing carrying a 1911, instead of my dearest HKs.  Well, I've been having a change of heart lately and I'm trying to branch out in some new directions.  First, I'm thinking of ditching my .40S&W habit in favor of something a bit more substantial, i.e., the .45ACP.  My SA TRP is the fastest gun I own, other than my P7M10 (which I don't dare subject to the  stresses of the real world![;)]) so I been using it a lot lately, and to be honest, I'm loving it, so now I need more 1911s!
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a P13 alloy frame that was my everyday carry gun for about 5 years, till the Glock 30 changed my life. The P13 is still on my ccw for those times that I might need firepower and lots of it. The only beef I've ever had was with the mag springs, which was remedied by a new set of wolffs.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 1:02:44 AM EDT
[#25]
[b]Hey HKocher![/b]

I'd watch out for that Para s/s finish if I was you.

I have a s/s P10 Limited that has never been fired.  Just found some damm rust under the slide rails and a little on the barrel bushing.

The gun was stored in a pistol case that was slightly oiled.

Now I have to send it away to get a damm Bearcoat on it.  I'll post piX in a couple months.  

If I get another Para, it would definitely be in black carbon steel.  F their s/s.

Think I'll send them Canadian's an email now.

Later...
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 2:09:25 AM EDT
[#26]
When I first started shooting in Pin matches I was told by several people to get a large caliber with high capacity.  I bought a Para P14-45.  It is a great gun, shot to the point of aim, was reliable with cheap ammo.  If you like thinner grips, you will not like this gun.  The grips are alot thicker feeling than a single stack 1911.

BTW, more than once those guys with the single stacks kicked my butt in those matches!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top